Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I liked Lost Odyssey, but didn't love it. The skill system was neat, the kids were loving annoying (as kids are in every single loving game ever), the 1000 stories or whatever were boring as poo poo and destroyed the pace of the game.

Seriously though, have kids ever been a non-pain in the rear end in video games?

Blue Dragon was alright except that the second I met Maru Maru I wanted to tear his head off. I stopped when there was a large story segment about him and his awful village. If there was an option to burn it to the ground I would've in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
There was once a time when I was house sitting for my brother and the only games I had access to were Lost Odyssey, Mirror's Edge, and Skyrim. I so wanted to enjoy Lost Odyssey but the combat is so slow it makes FF9 look like it would give you whiplash. That first battle against the tutorial catapult thing took an hour and I'd completely forgot all the exposition up to that point so as soon as I hit the first save point I ended up putting the game down and I never went back to it.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Golden Goat posted:

I liked Lost Odyssey but it definitely had a bunch of problems. Battles took forever sometimes and the load times were awful. It felt really slow for the first half of the game and then from around the end of disc 2 to disc 4 the game is fantastic.

The funeral minigame was a dumb idea.

I finished LISA....that was insanely hosed up.

Golden Goat posted:

I had it installed when I played and on the larger enemy formations (worst case scenario) it took about 15 seconds to load the fight. Installing it helps but fights already took a bit too long to finish.

Maybe this is because I'm playing FF9 at the same time, but reading this my thought is "What loading time?" Of the three games I'm playing, LO, Skyrim, and FF9, LO is the only one that isn't bothering me with it's loading time.

FF9 also had a lovely villain (Kuja makes Seymour look good) and lovely minigames. I'd do the funeral game 10 times over the candle puzzle in the desert palace or the finding the 5 story pieces for Ramuh game or the Cid sneaking in a room and getting a key while avoiding the gaze of a monster game.

Speaking of, I just did the Desert Palace in FF9 yesterday. I have to talk a bit about that. That might be my least favorite area of any RPG. I missed lighting a candle and had to go back and forth over the whole area to find it. I didn't see another object I was supposed to light so I went over the area again searching for what to do. The encounter rate is far too high and the battles are far too slow (even with the speed set to high) to make us do these lovely puzzle dungeons. I had Garnet and Eiko in my party and all they could do offensively was summon. Talk about battles taking forever. All I want to do is flee because I'm tired of battles but I don't have Zidane so I don't have the flee ability. I tried to run the normal way and it just wouldn't let me do it. I held down L and R for about 2 minutes, with nothing happening, then I eventually gave up and learned never to try to run again.

Can we all agree that LO is far better than FF9 at least? FF9 does have heart and humor but LO undoubtedly has that, along with the excellent dream sequences. I'd put the first disk of LO (the only one I finished - I'm just starting the second) over the PSX era FFs and about on par with FF6.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Morpheus posted:

the 1000 stories or whatever were boring as poo poo and destroyed the pace of the game.

:fuckoff:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oh no, I enjoy running through a beautiful game, following an actual plot, then suddenly having it all crushing to a halt for 15 minutes while a slow text crawl covers the screen accompanied with sound effects. Nothing draws me into a world like a text dump.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Gongora was an awesome villain. He's just sittin' on a boat laughing maniacally and the prince sees this and is like "gee my advisor sure is a strange one". Dude was obviously evil and not a goddamn person noticed. It was hilarious.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

Gongora was an awesome villain. He's just sittin' on a boat laughing maniacally and the prince sees this and is like "gee my advisor sure is a strange one". Dude was obviously evil and not a goddamn person noticed. It was hilarious.

Dude decided to have a chairman killed by having a huge snake eat him whole during his dinner. I love Gongora.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Gongora was Kefka without being completely unhinged. He was just an rear end in a top hat, through and through.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

The prince gets chewed out by the party later in the game too for being so naive about Gongora, it's great.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

tenderjerk posted:

I just got a PS TV so I can play Persona 4:G, and also got Tales of Hearts. Any other recommendations? There seem to be alot of jrpgs available for it but they all look samey and gross

Does Soul Sacrifice count? I liked that game a lot.

Sylphid posted:

I'm pretty sure XS' entire marketing campaign was based on getting that reaction to draw people in.

That and convincing dumb people it was deep by quoting Nietzsche.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

HGH posted:

That reminds me.
The new Langrisser is coming out. Impressions seem to be that the franchise should have stayed dead.

Turns out there's a simple-ish way to bypass 3DS region locking so I ordered a copy. They're bringing back a lot of concepts I like -- the gameplay and multiple story story branches -- so I'm hoping for the best. They're also bringing back Noriyuki Iwadare for the soundtrack. On the other hand, the character art is really bad. I don't mean that to say that I don't like the style or the direction (although that's true); it's just flat out ugly.

I don't particularly care for the dude who drew characters for the series before (his name escapes me; it's the guy who draws avid fans of Turkish oil wrestling with clothes made out of metal sheets and $1000 perms), but the choice they made is fairly awful.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Morpheus posted:

Oh no, I enjoy running through a beautiful game, following an actual plot, then suddenly having it all crushing to a halt for 15 minutes while a slow text crawl covers the screen accompanied with sound effects. Nothing draws me into a world like a text dump.

Almost all of those are optional, aren't they? It's pretty funny that apparently you hit the confirm button on all those sequences you hate because you thought they were mandatory or something.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

Turns out there's a simple-ish way to bypass 3DS region locking so I ordered a copy.

woah what

How likely is that to stick around rather than be patched out?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
It's probably a QR hack of some sorts. There's been a number of exploits in the 3ds firmware using QR scans.

Just a cursory google search punches up http://www.idigitaltimes.com/new-3ds-region-lock-removal-how-region-unlock-free-play-japanese-and-european-games-437914 so it's probably along those lines.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
To be fair to the people in Lost Odyssey, the guys in Uhra totally know Gongora is up to no good and put him under house arrest, he just manipulates people into taking over the country using his powers of persuading idiots and the ability to summon whatever bullshit the plot requires.

One thing that really bugged me is at the end of the game Tolten just becomes king even though the country was a democracy that only reverted to a monarchy because Gongora was evil. I guess nobody gave a poo poo about that part.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm playing LISA right now and true to the advertising it's a pretty miserable experience. I'm at the second area now and helped out the Power Rangers knockoff. How far am I into the game?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Renoistic posted:

I'm playing LISA right now and true to the advertising it's a pretty miserable experience. I'm at the second area now and helped out the Power Rangers knockoff. How far am I into the game?

Maybe approaching halfway depending on how much optional stuff you have done or will do.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Maybe this is because I'm playing FF9 at the same time, but reading this my thought is "What loading time?" Of the three games I'm playing, LO, Skyrim, and FF9, LO is the only one that isn't bothering me with it's loading time.

FF9 also had a lovely villain (Kuja makes Seymour look good) and lovely minigames. I'd do the funeral game 10 times over the candle puzzle in the desert palace or the finding the 5 story pieces for Ramuh game or the Cid sneaking in a room and getting a key while avoiding the gaze of a monster game.

Speaking of, I just did the Desert Palace in FF9 yesterday. I have to talk a bit about that. That might be my least favorite area of any RPG. I missed lighting a candle and had to go back and forth over the whole area to find it. I didn't see another object I was supposed to light so I went over the area again searching for what to do. The encounter rate is far too high and the battles are far too slow (even with the speed set to high) to make us do these lovely puzzle dungeons. I had Garnet and Eiko in my party and all they could do offensively was summon. Talk about battles taking forever. All I want to do is flee because I'm tired of battles but I don't have Zidane so I don't have the flee ability. I tried to run the normal way and it just wouldn't let me do it. I held down L and R for about 2 minutes, with nothing happening, then I eventually gave up and learned never to try to run again.

Can we all agree that LO is far better than FF9 at least? FF9 does have heart and humor but LO undoubtedly has that, along with the excellent dream sequences. I'd put the first disk of LO (the only one I finished - I'm just starting the second) over the PSX era FFs and about on par with FF6.

Well, this makes me optimistic.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

On to Disc 2. Why does Kuja's mount look like Palkia knocked up a Skarmory?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Because Kuja is a man who knows style and class.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Codiekitty posted:

Well, this makes me optimistic.

I was hoping that meant you were about to play LO. But you're playing FF9? If you had problems on disc 1, disc 3 is going to be pure hell. The encounter rate and slow battles didn't even bother me until disc 2. Because disc 1 is all linear. Wait until you're trying to figure out where to go in the overworld, you're looking for 5 pieces Ramuh wants you to search for, and you're doing the puzzle dungeons.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MrAptronym posted:

Does Soul Sacrifice count? I liked that game a lot.

oh my god i hate it. i just rage deleted it from my vita after i gave up on one mission and tried an easier one only to find it was a reskin of the exact same boss with the exact same moveset that kicked my rear end again. i'm pretty far into the game and the game is telling me i need to grind for hours if i ever want to level up enough to kill a boss in under 30 minutes of repeating the same actions over and over.

i thought i hated hunting games because of the controls but ss controls great. i guess i just hate hunting games. idgi, i like dark souls boss fights, i even do low level runs where the fighting takes forever but i've never seen anything as tedious as this in a souls game.

i only paid 4 dollars for it in a sale so i shouldn't be mad at it. i think the presentation and feel of the game is cool i guess i'm just really disappointed that i couldn't force myself to love it. :sigh:

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 16, 2015

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I was hoping that meant you were about to play LO. But you're playing FF9? If you had problems on disc 1, disc 3 is going to be pure hell. The encounter rate and slow battles didn't even bother me until disc 2. Because disc 1 is all linear. Wait until you're trying to figure out where to go in the overworld, you're looking for 5 pieces Ramuh wants you to search for, and you're doing the puzzle dungeons.

Disc 3 is fine if you don't miss the candles and don't send all your melee guys away when captured. Though Cid's minigame pissed me off endlessly as a child.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Real hurthling! posted:

oh my god i hate it. i just rage deleted it from my vita after i gave up on one mission and tried an easier one only to find it was a reskin of the exact same boss with the exact same moveset that kicked my rear end again. i'm pretty far into the game and the game is telling me i need to grind for hours if i ever want to level up enough to kill a boss in under 30 minutes of repeating the same actions over and over.

i thought i hated hunting games because of the controls but ss controls great. i guess i just hate hunting games. idgi, i like dark souls boss fights, i even do low level runs where the fighting takes forever but i've never seen anything as tedious as this in a souls game.

i only paid 4 dollars for it in a sale so i shouldn't be mad at it. i think the presentation and feel of the game is cool i guess i'm just really disappointed that i couldn't force myself to love it. :sigh:

hahaha yeah welcome to monster hunter

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Inquisitor is on sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/241620/

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
P.S. Don't buy Inquisitor.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The first quest is kill 12 bats or something.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the only game you'll play where nazi vampires cast spells by Hitlergrußing and yelling GO TO HELL

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I don't need to do dark Pegasus eugenics for a Hard mode Apotheosis DLC in Awakenings do I? Played the original in hard so I already know the story route is p.easy but I never did the DLC stuff.

Should I just suck it up and play on the next difficulty level even though the start really sucks?

I just want to wing my eugenics while having some challenge.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
There's no real reason not to pass Galeforce along to the guys who can get it from their moms (Inigo/Brady/Owain). It's not strictly necessary to try to get it on everyone. If e.g. Noire ends up without a Galeforce dad you can always use her as a Sniper with a strong forged Longbow or whatever, since almost no enemies on Apotheosis have the ability to respond to 3 range attacks.

You can beat Apotheosis without Galeforce too, but it's a big help.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Mmm yeah I just don't want to grind dark fliers up to pass the skill. Time consuming without the cheat DLC and feels like you make an already easy game even easier.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What is the best Langrisser game to start with?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Rascyc posted:

I don't need to do dark Pegasus eugenics for a Hard mode Apotheosis DLC in Awakenings do I? Played the original in hard so I already know the story route is p.easy but I never did the DLC stuff.

Should I just suck it up and play on the next difficulty level even though the start really sucks?

I just want to wing my eugenics while having some challenge.

i did everything without bothering with eugenics

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

WrightOfWay posted:

What is the best Langrisser game to start with?

Langrisser 2 (there's a pretty good translation patch) on the Mega Drive or Der Langrisser on the SNES. After that, Langrisser 4 on the PSX. The other Langrisser games aren't translated, but the Growlanser series is from the same group of people and is also excellent -- I'd suggest playing Growlanser Generations on the PS2 (both games) and Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time on the PSP.

You can also play the Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor games, which are also great and were developed by the Langrisser/Growlanser people after they were hired by Atlus.

Heavy neutrino fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 17, 2015

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Oh I've already played both Devil Survivors and Growlanser 4 and was curious about their earlier games. I don't really like Growlanser's combat so I didn't want to play the other games in that series.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

CrookedB posted:

P.S. Don't buy Inquisitor.

What's wrong with Inquisitor?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Found out the hard way tonight that Phantasy Star 1 on the GBA Phantasy Star Collection has a fun bug where it'll randomly crash on saving the game, and apparently it's just PS1 that has the bug.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Delsaber posted:

Almost all of those are optional, aren't they? It's pretty funny that apparently you hit the confirm button on all those sequences you hate because you thought they were mandatory or something.

I know they were optional - most people were like "OMG THESE THINGS ARE THE BEST THING ABOUT THE GAME", so I checked a few out and was severely disappointed by a wall of text. It's well-written, but stuff like that has no place in a video game that isn't explicitely interactive fiction. I found myself skipping them whenever I had the opportunity.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Amusingly, they tell you almost nothing useful about Kaim and nearly all the ones about him are pointless but the ones about Seth are actually at least sort of useful backstory for two of the game's characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

Nakar posted:

Amusingly, they tell you almost nothing useful about Kaim and nearly all the ones about him are pointless but the ones about Seth are actually at least sort of useful backstory for two of the game's characters.

I think they tell you an incredibly lot about him, mostly that he's a decent thoughtful and caring person since for the first 10 hours you just see him as cold and distant. The first story with Hanna where you get to see how much the little sick girl means to him, how seeing her and telling her stories was the only thing that made him happy, was the first time I ever cared about Kaim. Then you see the stories of how he convinced a man to stay at home with his wife and child rather than join him; he could have just refused the guy but instead he made the man come to the decision himself. Then there's the story of how Kaim couldn't stop beating up Alex for breaking his promise to make his wife happy. Then there's the one where you see Kaim pretend to be the brother of a senile grandmother to comfort her before she dies.

Skipping these stories is unimaginable to me. It's clearly the best part of the game. Can you even like Kaim if you skip them?

On the other hand, I didn't like the last few hours I played of LO. It's turning into FF9. There's puzzle dungeons and the battles are starting to last a long time. Now that I have five characters, the enemy groups have to be larger too, and everyone has to take a separate turn. It would be so much better if everyone attacked at the same time like Suikoden or Grandia.