Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

BrianWilly posted:

It's not the most realistic CGI I suppose

As long as it's better than this (note: Arrow spoilers), I think we're ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

a prologue that contains the most remarkable de-aging of an actor I have ever seen. The scene features Michael Douglas aged back to his Black Rain days, and it’s jaw-dropping in its quality and its seamlessness. I don’t know how much the effects cost or how long they took, but if this technology can be made casually affordable, it could well be a game-changer, in a “Sean Connery plays James Bond again” type fashion.
Did this person watch Terminator: Genysis? 'Cause I can't imagine a better deaging than the young Arnold for that movie.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Did this person watch Terminator: Genysis? 'Cause I can't imagine a better deaging than the young Arnold for that movie.

I think some of the deaging in that film was directly ripped from Terminator 1, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cael posted:

That's Legends of Tomorrow spoilers!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Cosplayers on budgets vs millions on a Fox film.

Granted, I'm not a HUGE fan of the giant A, but holy poo poo these guys look way better than Grimace over there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah I like how you can tell his arms are fake and it's made of badly painted plastic.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The new Storm looks fantastic

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
I saw Ant-Man last night, I thought it was really good! I would easily rank this in my top 3 of Marvel's Phase 2 movies, behind Winter Solider and Guardians of the Galaxy. Ant-Man had the right mix of humor, inventive action sequences, a solid supporting cast of characters, and one of the strongest third acts of any recent Marvel movie.

The post-credit sequences were better this time around too: it looks like Hope will become the Wasp - from what we saw, the new Wasp costume looks really good, and has call-backs to Wasp's classic uniform. The second post-credit scene sets up Civil War pretty clearly with the Falcon, Ant-Man and Winter Soldier on Captain America's side.

In summary, give this movie a chance! It blew past my medium-to-low expectations, and I ended up really enjoying it - moreso than the new Avengers movie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

J2DK posted:

I think some of the deaging in that film was directly ripped from Terminator 1, though.
If I remember right, it actually wasn't (for legal reasons). Whoever owns the actual footage for T1 didn't want to play ball, so the Genisys filmmakers were forced to recreate everything digitally.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Another photo of Apocalypse from the set of X-men:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Thanks, Facebook 16 hours ago.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

*runs into thread, panting* Hey... Ivan Ooze... is in the new X-Men film!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I had no idea so many people saw the Power Rangers movie and could name and recognize the main villain from memory.

Here's another internet edit:

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 17, 2015

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Cosplayers on budgets vs millions on a Fox film.

Granted, I'm not a HUGE fan of the giant A, but holy poo poo these guys look way better than Grimace over there.

They have to be able to move around and act and fight and stuff too, remember. I'm pretty skeptical of especially the upper-left one looking better than the FF7 lego people in motion.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

If I remember right, it actually wasn't (for legal reasons). Whoever owns the actual footage for T1 didn't want to play ball, so the Genisys filmmakers were forced to recreate everything digitally.
Yup--there is no original footage in Genisys. Luckily 80s Arnold is used always at night which helps mask effects work, but the face swapping they did on that bodybuilder dude was spot-on.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Part of me is sort of hoping that they're going to pull some trickery in post-production to make Apocalypse appear physically larger, add some digital effects and so on. Even the bright purple colors will likely come off looking more navy blue with purple highlights for night footage and/or the traditional Apocalypse face design might come back in the film as some sort of CG face shield or something.

Grendels Dad posted:

He was in X-Men 3.

Also in the Ultimate Universe, too, right?

This is sort of difficult to articulate, but I honestly think the fandom would be a lot more critical of every Marvel movie that's come out in the last 15 years if not for the Ult. Universe helping to set up a rebooted and alternate take on several of the established characters and story directions which sort of helps excuse creative liberties taken in adaptations.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 17, 2015

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

Cael posted:

Holy poo poo they actually aired that on television? Now I don't feel so bad about dropping Arrow and Flash

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Reset Smith posted:

Holy poo poo they actually aired that on television? Now I don't feel so bad about dropping Arrow and Flash

It was in the first trailer for the new show, not as a part of Arrow or Flash.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reset Smith posted:

Well, you should.

What's it like being in an R-Rated comicbook movie:

What's the hard-R Deadpool comics run, btw?

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 17, 2015

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

What's the hard-R Deadpool comics run, btw?

Deadpool Max
(a CBR take)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

J2DK posted:

They didn't use a single shot from The Terminator in the movie.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Reset Smith posted:

It's from a trailer for a show that doesn't air for like 6 months probably.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
If only there was an actor they could have used for Apocalypse who has experience moving around in clunky goofy blue-ish armor. An actor with an imposing physique. Ideally someone with a history in public speaking, a politician maybe, so he is familiar with spouting big-sounding nonsense. Someone who would be comfortable with wearing a big fuckoff A as a belt buckle.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think you guys may be reading quite a bit into a single promo pic from the movie rag Empire. Perhaps it would be more understandable if the exact same thing hadn't happened from posting of promo images in Empire magazines last time an X-men film was in production. People were positive POSITIVE Quicksilver was going to suck in DOFP because of the Empire magazine cover.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DoFP pulled a miracle with Quicksilver because 100% of marking material involving him was loving terrible.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

zoux posted:

I think you guys may be reading quite a bit into a single promo pic from the movie rag Empire. Perhaps it would be more understandable if the exact same thing hadn't happened from posting of promo images in Empire magazines last time an X-men film was in production. People were positive POSITIVE Quicksilver was going to suck in DOFP because of the Empire magazine cover.

You're right, and it turned out great. So logically, we all must poo poo on this one too for it to turn out great!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah, but quicksilver's costume design was still stupid in the movie. Just because they found a cool way to use the character doesn't mean it retroactively made the costume design not terrible.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

You're right, and it turned out great. So logically, we all must poo poo on this one too for it to turn out great!

This checks out.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
drat, even Wesley Morris liked Ant Man. Now I'm worried my expectations are getting too high for tonight.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Can't argue with that. Carry on.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mikeraskol posted:

drat, even Wesley Morris liked Ant Man. Now I'm worried my expectations are getting too high for tonight.

I saw it again last night. It's a great movie.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

oh gently caress Woman With Negative Opinion On Dark Lame Tryhard Nerd poo poo

avoid the comments at all costs guys

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Part of me is sort of hoping that they're going to pull some trickery in post-production to make Apocalypse appear physically larger, add some digital effects and so on.

Of course they will. That basically goes without saying.

VV Why would they digitally add something he already has?

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

But are they going to digitally give him Face Lines? Because that's literally the only thing anyone gives a poo poo about.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ignite Memories posted:

But are they going to digitally give him Face Lines? Because that's literally the only thing anyone gives a poo poo about.

I'm more interested in how deep his voice is.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Race Realists posted:

oh gently caress Woman With Negative Opinion On Dark Lame Tryhard Nerd poo poo

avoid the comments at all costs guys

Most of the comments agree with her though:confused:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm getting the feeling that Apocalypse is trying to pass himself off as a good guy, someone that is there for mutants, thats why he's got Storm, Quicksilver, Psylock, Mystique and Magneto are with him. Some will quickly realize that hey, this guy isn't good. Its possible his appearance changes in the movie. I mean, his mutant power is control of every cell in his body.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

twistedmentat posted:

I'm getting the feeling that Apocalypse is trying to pass himself off as a good guy, someone that is there for mutants, thats why he's got Storm, Quicksilver, Psylock, Mystique and Magneto are with him. Some will quickly realize that hey, this guy isn't good. Its possible his appearance changes in the movie. I mean, his mutant power is control of every cell in his body.

According to interviews, none of the Horsemen are there willingly. Movie Apocalypse has the power to mind control other mutants.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

According to interviews, none of the Horsemen are there willingly. Movie Apocalypse has the power to mind control other mutants.

Mutantkind ill needs a savior such as him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I didn't read comics in the 90s and only know Apocalypse as a fighting game boss. Why does he need horsemen if he's already the oldest strongest super mutant? Is there a specific purpose they would serve or is it just "yup Magneto is still a bad guy"

• Locked thread