Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Fraud. That's their answer to everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I like when they have puzzles in the interviews. My current job only asked me about work history and skills BORIIIING

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

this is all a hypothetical exercise anyway since we all know goldman sachs hires based on your ability to gently caress over thousands of people for a quarter point stock bump and also your ability to have been born with the right connections

Naw.

It's a good way to find a person who'll believe whatever you tell them because they want to impress you. You use that tactic, you always end up finding "the heaviest ball" even if they're all the same.

Good recruitment tactic for finding a clever patsy/fall guy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

iit make impossible to solve yet plausible sounding logic tests

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp
Split the balls into two sets of 4.

Whichever is heaviest contains the large ball. Then split the four with the heaviest ball into two groups of two.

Find the group with the heaviest again.

Split that into two, and bam, you have the heaviest ball.

They asked us something similar when I was at a place.

Dumbass questions ITT

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

psyopmonkey2 posted:

Whichever is heaviest contains the large ball. Then split the four with the heaviest ball into two groups of two.

Dumbass questions ITT

and that's why you were in the military

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Clearly you should just roll the balls down a ramp and see which one accelerates the fastest.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K2WE9z4zL4

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

iit make impossible to solve yet plausible sounding logic tests

it's like when you ran into an engineering problem that didn't have enough linearly independent equations to solve for the missing variables.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I am the heavy ball

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Yell at the lowest paid person in the office to do it

anchoress
Dec 24, 2011

by XyloJW

psyopmonkey2 posted:

Dumbass questions ITT

i saw it before the edit. you said ft. bragg, not "a place"

loving militard

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

it's like when you ran into an engineering problem that didn't have enough linearly independent equations to solve for the missing variables.

fuckin math profs thinking they're all clever and poo poo wasting my time :argh:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
GBS used to be smart enough for threads with puzzles like this but I dunno if we're at that level any more.

Here's my entry, you can work for me if you answer this. (.....NOT!!)

You are sharing a pepperoni pizza with your fellow goon. It has a lot of pepperonis on it, but cleverly, you notice that some of the slices have more pepperoni than others. Obviously you want to try to maximize your pepperoni count, that's some basic goon instinct there. The way you go about choosing slices is, you go first, and take any slice you want. Then, the other guy takes one of the two slices adjacent to the first one. This continues to alternate, so each of you has two choices for each slice. Is there a way you can guarantee that you get more delicious pepperonis than the other goon?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

ArbitraryC posted:

Clearly you should just roll the balls down a ramp and see which one accelerates the fastest.

Noooo, the answer is to drop them off a large building and see which hits the ground first.

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp
Yes... Your rage pleases me.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Pawn 17 posted:

Noooo, the answer is to drop them off a large building and see which hits the ground first.

in before someone with shallow knowledge of physics tries to say they'd fall at the same speed because they forgot the "in a vacuum" caveat.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
watch out weve got some geniuses who paid attention in high school physics itt

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ArbitraryC posted:

in before someone with shallow knowledge of physics tries to say they'd fall at the same speed because they forgot the "in a vacuum" caveat.

if all the balls are the same size and shape though wouldn't it not matter? air resistance would be the same for all of them

if they aren't the same size and shape then you could just visually ID the heavy one

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

if all the balls are the same size and shape though wouldn't it not matter? air resistance would be the same for all of them

if they aren't the same size and shape then you could just visually ID the heavy one

If they are the same shape and size and one is heavier (re more dense) then it will better overcome an equal amount of air resistance and accelerate faster. It should also have a higher terminal velocity. I think rolling them down a ramp would be easier to observe than dropping them tho.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

GBS used to be smart enough for threads with puzzles like this but I dunno if we're at that level any more.

Here's my entry, you can work for me if you answer this. (.....NOT!!)

You are sharing a pepperoni pizza with your fellow goon. It has a lot of pepperonis on it, but cleverly, you notice that some of the slices have more pepperoni than others. Obviously you want to try to maximize your pepperoni count, that's some basic goon instinct there. The way you go about choosing slices is, you go first, and take any slice you want. Then, the other guy takes one of the two slices adjacent to the first one. This continues to alternate, so each of you has two choices for each slice. Is there a way you can guarantee that you get more delicious pepperonis than the other goon?

Does it matter how many slices there are

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Gravity is proportional to an object's mass, so all objects will accelerate at the same rate under gravity in a vacuum.

Air resistance is a force that is proportional to velocity, but not to mass. The heavier an object is, the smaller effect that same amount of force will have, so heavy things will fall faster because the same air resistance will have less of an effect.

trap sprung or something

psyopmonkey2
Mar 10, 2015

by Ralp
No one said anything about incline planes. The instructions were 8 balls and a scale.

:colbert:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Wait guys, actually I have a better idea. You can just heat all the balls in a fire for 10 minutes.Then you touch each one. The heavier ball will be slightly cooler.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Beef Turret posted:

Does it matter how many slices there are

There are 8 slices in a standard pizza, I should have stated that, but I'm not gonna tell you if it matters or not.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
If you can juggle you could probably get a feel for which ball was not like the others by doing so.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
Actual interview question:

How can three men have mutually safe heterosexual sex with one woman using only two condoms?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

There are 8 slices in a standard pizza, I should have stated that, but I'm not gonna tell you if it matters or not.

what if it's one of those places that cuts their pizzas into square slices

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

ArbitraryC posted:

what if it's one of those places that cuts their pizzas into square slices

I don't know I would never eat one of those!!

That would change the problem a lot actually because now you have four adjacent pieces to any piece and taking a piece could enable one to choose between 0 and 3 other slices, inclusive. I'm not prepared to answer such a question.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Here's a fun one I heard on the radio recently:
You have 100 coins weighing 10 grams each, in 10 stacks. One stack is fake coins, and they all weigh 11 or 9 grams. You have an accurate scale. How do you find the fake coins with only one measurement?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gravity is proportional to an object's mass, so all objects will accelerate at the same rate under gravity in a vacuum.

Air resistance is a force that is proportional to velocity, but not to mass. The heavier an object is, the smaller effect that same amount of force will have, so heavy things will fall faster because the same air resistance will have less of an effect.

trap sprung or something

oh that makes sense. been a while since high school physics and they never really go into the air resistance formulas (or friction for that matter).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 17, 2015

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

notZaar posted:

Here's a fun one I heard on the radio recently:
You have 100 coins weighing 10 grams each, in 10 stacks. One stack is fake coins, and they all weigh 11 or 9 grams. You have an accurate scale. How do you find the fake coins with only one measurement?

I'm guessing the solution is something like you use 1 coin from stack 1, 2 from stack 2, and so on, and then based on how far off you are from that target total you know which stack was fake, ie if you're 5 grams off the stack you used 5 coins from is fake.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
put all the balls at the edge of a cliff. push all the balls off until you have only one left. that is now the heaviest ball

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

surely just only weigh two balls at once until you find the one which is heavier?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

oh that makes sense

basically just imagine force vectors, F=ma and all. a here is constant (gravity) so the larger the m the more downward force you're applying. The resistive force is going to be the same for an object of the same/shape size traveling the same velocity regardless of mass, so when you balance your force vectors the heavier ball (assuming same size and shape) will have more net force downwards, resulting in greater acceleration.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

ArbitraryC posted:

I'm guessing the solution is something like you use 1 coin from stack 1, 2 from stack 2, and so on, and then based on how far off you are from that target total you know which stack was fake, ie if you're 5 grams off the stack you used 5 coins from is fake.

Yeah pretty much. You can stop at the ninth stack.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

notZaar posted:

Yeah pretty much. You can stop at the ninth stack.

You should state that you only have 90 coins in 10 stacks of 9, though maybe that gives it away more?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
gravity is loving weird when you think about it

easily the 'weakest' force but also the only one able to work at such long distances

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

You should state that you only have 90 coins in 10 stacks of 9, though maybe that gives it away more?

That's the trick to most these riddles, when you look at what you're given it becomes clear what you're supposed to do. If the solution didn't involve using varying amounts of coins why wouldn't they just say you had 10 coins and 1 is fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

This is from car talk, it can't be too hard or it would have overtaxed the feeble brains of their core demo.

• Locked thread