Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Game submission is now open!

I can't stress enough. TEST. YOUR. GAME. and include OSX versions if you can!

You can NOT resubmit your game, no admin can help you with this ever. Once you press that submit button that's it. Be sure to test your archives before uploading!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

JonTerp posted:

You can NOT resubmit your game, no admin can help you with this ever. Once you press that submit button that's it. Be sure to test your archives before uploading!
Oof. That seems a bit harsh. You're going to get a TON of "oh crap I found a bug guys could you PLEASE download X" requests, whether those are the rules or not.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah uh... could you possibly have a look at how that works? I know that for the past few entries I've worked on, I've submitted, then turns out there was time extensions added.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 18, 2015

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah uh... could you possibly have a look at how that works? I know that for the past few entries I've worked on, I've submitted, then turns out there was time extensions added.

There won't be a time extension this year. Everything is handled by robots.

The no resubmitting rule has been in the OP since we posted the thread, it was also in the theme announcement stream/video. Which is why we insist you test your games before submission.

The upside to this is that you can update your game on the public side all you want.

edit: Game pages on the site work identically to the wiki last year. Setup your page, slap some download links and share it with people to test and show off. The judge submission step is to ensure judges have games all in one place, this also keeps everything fair by enforcing the jam end time.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 18, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
What if the connection times out and the site flags us as having submitted something but actually we haven't? I assume emailing the site admin will sort that out in that case?

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Xibanya posted:

What if the connection times out and the site flags us as having submitted something but actually we haven't? I assume emailing the site admin will sort that out in that case?

The upload is separate from pressing the "submit" button. If an upload fails it will tell you and you can try again.

And of course in cases where the site bugs out we'll help out.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 18, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
If people post their games for download here I am sure people can help with testing. I'd be happy to download games and try and find bugs in them. If teams do that then one big scary submission shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Splode posted:

If people post their games for download here I am sure people can help with testing. I'd be happy to download games and try and find bugs in them. If teams do that then one big scary submission shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Absolutely. The IRC channel is a wonderful place for this as well.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I don't see any gifs on this page

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Not been doing much. Been sick most this week and then battling stupid programming and physics.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

havin' some fun with a couple new obstacles and another tileset

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
You're killing it krillin.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

havin' some fun with a couple new obstacles and another tileset
I wish your You Died message especially chided you for dying AND killing a kitty :3

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Chiding you for killing a kitty? Wait till you find out why you're collecting them.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

sighnoceros posted:

Chiding you for killing a kitty? Wait till you find out why you're collecting them.

:gonk:

In other news, my game has a loss condition and a way to restart the game; going to get a win condition setup in a bit. It's finally a game! :buddy:

Also, behold the end of the game, whereupon you lose if you hit it:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpFy3O6rXZc

Added a formation system so now the enemies can enter in waves with custom paths, also started working on the HUD and added a basic combo + scoring system (The multiplier pop-up things are still WIP)

Oh I also added a super attack that might be waay too anime that basically replaces the bomb from a regular shmup and is both for getting out of bad situations and for getting a crazy combo, it will be recharged by killing enemies when I get around to implementing it!

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Svampson posted:

Added a formation system so now the enemies can enter in waves with custom paths, also started working on the HUD and added a basic combo + scoring system (The multiplier pop-up things are still WIP)

Oh I also added a super attack that might be waay too anime that basically replaces the bomb from a regular shmup and is both for getting out of bad situations and for getting a crazy combo, it will be recharged by killing enemies when I get around to implementing it!

The game looks fun but I really think you're missing out on your awesome art from that camera angle. It really should be focused on more because its amazing, but you can't really see it from that top down view.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Svampson posted:

Well goddamn that's awesome. :allears:

My own top-down scroller without brakes is not nearly as awesome looking, but I'm happy I've got cars spawning and driving in different directions and colors now.

Seen here: Green car is a tailgating jerk. :argh:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

good dog

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

:stonk: Oh god.

Not content with going to sleep without doing a bit more, I made my civilian sprite not a singular green circle and added some walking animations!

Sort of! More of a jitterbug really. :shrug:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 19, 2015

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Svampson posted:

That special move. :allears: But yeah, if you're set on keeping the top-down style for gameplay, I think you should make a heavy showing of the graphics in the beginning.

All of the .gifs and game previews on this page look awesome guys!

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
I'm currently running into an issue where my game grandma is sick and hungry and is trying to eat houseflies for sustenance, but unfortunately, she gags on the first fly she eats and her vomit causes all the other flies to scatter away.

Has anyone else had this problem?

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

I'd change the flies animation when they've been 'tongued' to a side view, with their backs to the tongue. I think It would read better that they're stuck, as opposed to just walking around freely.

Also that's some gross poo poo man. :stare:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

KiddieGrinder posted:

I'd change the flies animation when they've been 'tongued' to a side view, with their backs to the tongue. I think It would read better that they're stuck, as opposed to just walking around freely.

Also that's some gross poo poo man. :stare:

Since the puke chases them away, they obviously ARE walking around freely on the tongue rather than stuck though!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Whoops, instead of making a video game, I made another sequel to High School Musical!

What a misunderstanding!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Apwn-VEadE

Turning and walking are in... almost!

and... they're in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJGSF6TWv_A

Next up: Hands properly holding the wheel, honking, and jumping. Then the track, multiplayer, rudimentary AI and some game rules.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 19, 2015

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Atoramos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Apwn-VEadE

Turning and walking are in... almost!

and... they're in!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJGSF6TWv_A

Next up: Hands properly holding the wheel, honking, and jumping. Then the track, multiplayer, rudimentary AI and some game rules.

Please make a destruction derby mode that when you hit you ragdoll and do damage to limbs depending on how you hit.

This looks like a blast though. Multiplayer will be silly fun for sure. Good luck!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

JonTerp posted:

Game submission is now open!

I can't stress enough. TEST. YOUR. GAME. and include OSX versions if you can!

How does this work with web-based games?

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Job is taking away more time than I thought it would. I have 7 or so days I can work on my game before it's due.

I put together an intro cutscene and rewrote a bunch of code because I never know what I'm doing when I start doing it.

Here's a hot and chewy sneak-peek screenshot of the not-even-ninja-gaiden-level cutscene for the intro to my game.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Glad everyone is going so well! There are so many games on here that I want to play. This month has been bedlam for me; I've got 90% of the game ready to go, but I can make it better.

Trying to juggle a first-time effort at making a videogame with moving house and work and I've kind of hit a wall, but I'll definitely have something submitted before the end.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Figuring out how to do blood spatter on a rotating sprite took me way longer than it should have. There's no native support for it in Fusion 2.5 (that I know of) or a plugin that does it (also that I know of)

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Figuring out how to do blood spatter on a rotating sprite took me way longer than it should have. There's no native support for it in Fusion 2.5 (that I know of) or a plugin that does it (also that I know of)

This is looking so great. I can't wait to play it!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

That water refraction is sweet. Seconding that I want to play this, and I hope you keep working on it after the jam is over.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

SlightlyMadman posted:

How does this work with web-based games?

The exact same. Zip up your game & site files and submit them.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

JonTerp posted:

The exact same. Zip up your game & site files and submit them.

How does that work if my game runs on a django back-end? Do I need to make a static offline version?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
For anyone that's not done a gamejam before, the commonly accepted advice is always have your game done and turned in early. Do NOT wait until the last second because you will rush and you will always forget something. Don't let your month of work go to waste because you rushed to turn in and left in a game breaking bug.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah but this time there's only one submission ever.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah but this time there's only one submission ever.

Better make extra sure then! :eng101:

Day 19: Things... took a turn. It's amazing how much of a difference adding an animation when you hit something to replace it makes the game feel and play. Yesterday the civilians were green orbs and the cars didn't react to being hit. Today the civilians have walking animations, 4 various types of appearance, and the cars explode when you hit them. Also the civilians... well, they handle being hit by a road roller about how you may expect:

:stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Select a character!

....and MYSTERY BAD GUY...!

• Locked thread