Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

http://imgur.com/AkLftkk (linked for bustedness)

Yeah the AFX-41? its nice. does its job. till you plant it face first at lightspeed. The cut below my nose was a 1/4 long flap that was stitched shut with surgical glue.

It looks like it does its job ESPECIALLY when planting face first.

It should come as no surprise, but echoing whoever stated that Joe Rocket is the Wal-Mart of bike gear. I need some better gloves, the stitching is failing completely on the ones I picked up in March. They're comfortable, and plated, but starting to come apart.

Revvik fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

For an idea. Super wonderful of Awful App to not let me edit images into my previous post.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Get some RST TracTech Evo Rs. They're amazing.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Revvik posted:

It looks like it does its job ESPECIALLY when planting face first.

It should come as no surprise, but echoing whoever stated that Joe Rocket is the Wal-Mart of bike gear. I need some better gloves, the stitching is failing completely on the ones I picked up in March. They're comfortable, and plated, but starting to come apart.

Yup. Joe Rocket is garbage.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
These are my Held Akira Evos I picked up a few years ago. There held (hah) up well up until I lowsided at about 30mph at COTA a few weeks ago. Along with my leathers, some seems blew out. Can this sort of stuff be repaired? The people that do leather repairs for cmra races are all pretty inconvenient, so I'm wondering if a place like a shoe hospital could do it reasonably well.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The jacket a good leather tailor should be able to repair. Just bin the gloves.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Revvik posted:

For an idea. Super wonderful of Awful App to not let me edit images into my previous post.

Sometimes it's worth it to spend a hundred extra bucks on gloves. These are about a year and a half old and have maybe 20k + a few rainstorms on them.

My only damage?

The faux leather poo poo on the edge of the cuffs is coming off.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 16, 2015

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Got my SMX-5s in today, along with some replacement heated grips and a Krieger US30. Boots seem to fit pretty well, and feel a lot better with pants or jeans tucked in. I'm used to my current boots that have laces, so not having the same tightness adjustment available will take a bit of getting used to.

Getting closed to full Stigness.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Chris Knight posted:

Got my SMX-5s in today, along with some replacement heated grips and a Krieger US30. Boots seem to fit pretty well, and feel a lot better with pants or jeans tucked in. I'm used to my current boots that have laces, so not having the same tightness adjustment available will take a bit of getting used to.

Getting closed to full Stigness.

Nice pants. :hfive:

The boots look good too.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Friend of mine sent me this Kickstarter for some helmet speaker: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1081494817/be-link-bluetooth-surround-sound-for-your-helmet

"Surround sound" with one speaker :laffo:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
...it has two speakers though? One of them has controls on the back.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Huh. Every video/picture of the drat thing they have one speaker in the helmet and the controls one hanging out.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

Huh. Every video/picture of the drat thing they have one speaker in the helmet and the controls one hanging out.

There is more than one clip in that video of a guy putting both speakers inside of a helmet. My guess is the controls are just mostly for pairing it and aren't used when it's inside the helmet. I'm actually pretty interested in these. They're exactly what I want for music playing since I have no desire to actually answer my phone on my bike.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

There is more than one clip in that video of a guy putting both speakers inside of a helmet. My guess is the controls are just mostly for pairing it and aren't used when it's inside the helmet. I'm actually pretty interested in these. They're exactly what I want for music playing since I have no desire to actually answer my phone on my bike.

Those are gigantic and with sharp edges and look intensely uncomfortable in a decently-fitting helmet. Also you have to stop, take off your helmet, and remove one speaker just to adjust the volume or skip a track - and it doesn't mention adjusting the volume depending on ambient noise like motorbike bluetooth sets can.

It's a loving stupid design that does nothing that a wired speaker set can't do for half the price.

e: misread the price

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jul 19, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Those are gigantic and with sharp edges and look intensely uncomfortable in a decently-fitting helmet. Also you have to stop, take off your helmet, and remove one speaker just to adjust the volume or skip a track - and it doesn't mention adjusting the volume depending on ambient noise like motorbike bluetooth sets can.

It's a loving stupid design that does nothing that a wired speaker set can't do for half the price.

e: misread the price

I was planning to handlebar mount my phone, so any of the controlling can be done better on that anyway. If I wasn't doing that, yes, I'd just go wired.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

rockcity posted:

I was planning to handlebar mount my phone, so any of the controlling can be done better on that anyway. If I wasn't doing that, yes, I'd just go wired.

That doesn't get round the sheer hugeness and pointiness of the design, that thing will be like a medieval torture device after ten minutes on the road.

The spec sheet conspicuously fails to mention how thick they are but they look considerably thicker than the stock Sena speakers which at 9m deep are way too thick to use in a helmet not specifically designed for helmet speakers - and the width, height, and shape look way too huge to go into speaker pockets in helmets that have them. Stock Cardo speakers and the slim Sena speakers are both around 3mm thick which even then can be a little uncomfortable in some helmets.

Also the volume adjustment dependent on speed sounds like just a nice little frippery but unless you're hypermiling you'll be astonished how often you'd need to adjust your volume.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/clo/5061144391.html
No idea what model this is. My deep research only pulls up that its probably a 2010 or 2011 model. This has no armor, but i have some in my current rashed a*. Going to offer 60. Too much, too old? Not a fan of the colors but i like a* breath-ability and need a cheap stopgap jacket to replace my rashed one.

Thoughts?

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
The zipper on my Dainese jacket is totally stuck and won't undo >_>

Anyone know if something like that gets covered under a warranty? Will I have to ship it all the way to Italy? Bought the thing in March. Might be worthwhile to just find someone to put a new zipper on it, the one installed didn't seem very good from the getgo.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'd just take it to a local alteration place and get that zipper replaced. Dainese zippers aren't really that durable.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A seamstress might be able to fix it. Dainese also has a warehouse/contact center in Southern California.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Thanks looks like there's some repair shops around me I'll probably check that out

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
My Drake Air's zipper pull broke off so i just put a ziptie on it.

e: I went to buy a Kriega R20 off their site but it was broken. So I bought it off Revzilla. Fast forward to today the manager I guess sent me an apology email about the thing being broken (totally unsolicited btw) and gave me a 15% off coupon for their site.

It's good for the end of the month and I think it can be used on anything. So here you go: WUIO2902XQ75

Razzled fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 24, 2015

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I really want that Kriega R35, but drat I can't justify that cost.

I have some 3 day ~military pack~ I got at some military/airsoft store and it holds a lot of poo poo but unfortunately the thing is falling apart on me. Really tempted to get the Kriega

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

I really want that Kriega R35, but drat I can't justify that cost.

I have some 3 day ~military pack~ I got at some military/airsoft store and it holds a lot of poo poo but unfortunately the thing is falling apart on me. Really tempted to get the Kriega

The nice thing about Kreiga is their stuff has a 10 year warranty and generally doesn't fall apart. I've been using my Kreiga packs for my daily commute for a year and a half now and it still looks like new, aside from a few dirt smudges on it. No loose stitches, no seams coming apart, snap buckles are still solid and tight, etc.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

HotCanadianChick posted:

The nice thing about Kreiga is their stuff has a 10 year warranty and generally doesn't fall apart. I've been using my Kreiga packs for my daily commute for a year and a half now and it still looks like new, aside from a few dirt smudges on it. No loose stitches, no seams coming apart, snap buckles are still solid and tight, etc.

FWIW I got a Kreiga 20L last week, been using it daily. Today I rode through a pretty good downpour for 1.5 hours and everthing inside was dry! My buddy took Kreiga 20L and 10Ls to Alaska and back, had nothing bad to day. I think it is a get what you pay for type of deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd recommend the R30 - I haven't missed the extra space since I got mine over my R35. The R35 is maybe slightly more comfortable for very long trips, but the R30 is a full drysack and can carry nearly as much, plus has 2 handy exterior pockets.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I apologize since this probably gets asked pretty regularly. I'm going to be looking at new helmets soon, are there any brands ones to avoid (safety wise) under $200?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

shaitan posted:

I apologize since this probably gets asked pretty regularly. I'm going to be looking at new helmets soon, are there any brands ones to avoid (safety wise) under $200?

As long as it is DOT, ECE, or Snell rated you should be fine. The ratings do mean something though, and Z3n had a pretty great effort post about them a while back. I prefer ECE rated helmets.

Avoid Bilt, because it is lovely gear and should never be made, much less worn.

Edit
What kind of helmet are you looking for? I hope it is a full face.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Chichevache posted:

As long as it is DOT, ECE, or Snell rated you should be fine. The ratings do mean something though, and Z3n had a pretty great effort post about them a while back. I prefer ECE rated helmets.

Edit

Thanks. Yeah Full Face, my current one is about 5 years old so past it's prime and it took a tumble from a shelf 10ft up in the air last week so I don't feel comfortable wearing it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My manager rocks a two piece bilt helmet. I wouldn't wear that fucker *in* the jeep much less on a bike.

I bought an Icon variant to replace my wrekced afx41. Holy poo poo is it quiet, but their cheek pads are not meant for people with big rear end cheek bones.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Chichevache posted:

Edit

Ignore the US DOT only helmets as it's only on the manufaturers pinky swear that the helmet passes so isn't worth the ink the sicker has on it. Take a look at http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ as the British government tests helemts and 1 star is just passes ECE standards.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I have a terrible question. Because of the shape of my head and the snugness of my helmet, I can't wear sunglasses without my helmet pushing the sunglasses up off the bridge of my nose. I don't want to install a tinted visor either.

So I guess what I need is a pair of tinted goggles like aviator goggles, even though I realize it will make me "that guy". Does anyone know of a good place to find such goggles?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

So I have a terrible question. Because of the shape of my head and the snugness of my helmet, I can't wear sunglasses without my helmet pushing the sunglasses up off the bridge of my nose. I don't want to install a tinted visor either.

So I guess what I need is a pair of tinted goggles like aviator goggles, even though I realize it will make me "that guy". Does anyone know of a good place to find such goggles?

Is looking at a helmet that has an internal visor an option? I used to always wear shades under my helmet then i just got used to the GT Airs internal sun visor that works great.

I don't think that normal goggles are going to work with a helmet not made for them, like dirt bike helmets are one thing but a normal motorcycle helmet will likely cause issues.

Gillingham fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 25, 2015

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I would love a small pair of sunglasses or goggles that would fit into my Shoei without bending the frame so that it winds up at weird, unhelpful angles. I just saw that Shoei now makes a pretty nice helmet with an internal flip down sun visor. Shame I shouldn't need a new helmet for a while.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Gillingham posted:

Is looking at a helmet that has an internal visor an option? I used to always wear shades under my helmet then i just got used to the GT Airs internal sun visor that works great.

I don't think that normal goggles are going to work with a helmet not made for them, like dirt bike helmets are one thing but a normal motorcycle helmet will likely cause issues.

Yeah I would love this solution but I have a super nice Shoei that cost me a pretty penny and in every other way is an amazing helmet so dropping dosh on a new helmet is not in the cards.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What's wrong with a tinted visor?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Night.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I rode from LA to Phoenix in the middle of the night with a smoke shield. :madmax:
Either way, a shield will fit in the tail section of most bikes.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
This is one reason why I love my new RF-1200. Got that Transition polychromatic visor, loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

...is why you carry your clear as a spare and swap when needed.