Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

What was determined to make a good race from the first Drivers' Council meeting?

quote:

"I think so. NASCAR I think wants pack racing and drafting and passing. Tons of passing, tons, tons - if they could pass every straightaway at speed that would a great show for NASCAR, which it would be great to watch," Earnhardt said.

"I think the drivers' opinion of what a great show is, is a bit old-school. Something from the '80s and the '90s. Not necessarily in the fact that fifth place was a lap down, because that stuff is not going to happen these days because the sport is too competitive. But off-throttle time, guys sliding around, tires wearing out, tires not making a fuel run, having to really take care of it.That's the kind of thing we want to encourage."

http://thatsracinluckydog.blogspot.com/2015/07/first-topic-at-first-nascar-drivers.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Solution: Make Cup cars based on current GT cars. Mustang, Camaro and Challenger based. Tell Toyota they can use a Camry with the current NASCAR spec V8, but in 5 years time must have a new GT class RWD V8 car or they can pound sand. 358c.i. limit, OHV 2 valve per cylinder engines. Chevy, Ford and Dodge have 5 years to develop new GT cars if they think they can make a better platform. You get new stuff relevant from the companies, you drop speeds by about 20mph and you make tires that wear out. Bam, NASCAR is good again

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Brian France literally wants pack racing at every track, I know I saw a quote from him after Kentucky saying this.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Indianapolis is going to be hilarious if this aero package works as intended and hilarious if it doesn't also. I can't wait for the Brickyard.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

VikingSkull posted:

Solution: Make Cup cars based on current GT cars. Mustang, Camaro and Challenger based. Tell Toyota they can use a Camry with the current NASCAR spec V8, but in 5 years time must have a new GT class RWD V8 car or they can pound sand. 358c.i. limit, OHV 2 valve per cylinder engines. Chevy, Ford and Dodge have 5 years to develop new GT cars if they think they can make a better platform. You get new stuff relevant from the companies, you drop speeds by about 20mph and you make tires that wear out. Bam, NASCAR is good again

I'm down with this. Toyota could always go to Lexus and develop a successor to the LFA with those specs. Change the V10 to a V8 and little more styling cues to the big 3s pony cars.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I kind of felt that keeping cup cars the way they were was the way to go, but let me say I'd push this type of idea to replace the XFS series with the muscle car concept and make it exclusively road course based.

Cup should be Sedans, focused on Speedways.
XFS should be Muscle Cars, focused on Road Courses
Trucks should be Trucks, focused on Short Tracks

I still feel Toyota is an awkward fit within stock cars, but you know what? I've heard the other side of it, and I definitely get why they want to be there. They do want to be very much :911:-based in philosophy in terms of being involved with NASCAR. I do get it. (I'd be intrigued if they did return to Sports Car racing in the States though. I feel they're missing out on something there).

I WOULD like to see Dodge back in Cup. I wish Pontiac was still alive though :negative:.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
no

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Tesla is 100% American...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

yes.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

mearn posted:

Indianapolis is going to be hilarious if this aero package works as intended and hilarious if it doesn't also. I can't wait for the Brickyard.

I always go out of my way to watch at least a bit of the Brickyard now, just because seeing how bad the racing and crowd are is perversely entertaining to me. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it drew a little better this year since a lot of the local advertising is about it being Gordon's last.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

A major point of stock car racing used to be "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday", correct?

Via dividing the three series based on different types of models and different disciplines, you allow yourself just that. It's why the Truck Series is still very much a good idea in that regard, (that and it produces good racing).

The point of the drat thing should be the ability to market how your cars look to consumers. Hell maybe Toyota could use a revamped Celica in the Muscle Car division? Just a thought.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

A major point of stock car racing used to be "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday", correct?

No millennial on the planet is gonna be drawn to that line of thinking. Not when less people give a poo poo about cars than ever before and when other companies/ad agencies who have nothing to do with the sport are making GBS threads themselves over how different their consumer habits are and how to market to them.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

No millennial on the planet is gonna be drawn to that line of thinking. Not when less people give a poo poo about cars than ever before and when other companies/ad agencies who have nothing to do with the sport are making GBS threads themselves over how different their consumer habits are and how to market to them.

No millennial on earth really gives a poo poo about auto racing except people like us at this point. So the point is going to be even more moot regardless.

I mean NASCAR at this point has to realize that the only people that are going to be left going to their races in the near future are going to be hardcore fans, auto racing enthusiasts and the occasional curious on looker.

It's just a thought really. I don't know, I love seeing stock cars run road courses, and to have a series devoted to that would be really, really cool in my opinion.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Great job nuking your entire argument there.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Great job nuking your entire argument there.

Meh. It's theorycrafting.

There's a lot of poo poo I'd really like to see that ain't gonna happen any time soon, if ever.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
there's no way you're baiting me into a road vs oval argument here

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Brian Scott just kaboomed

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ayn rand hand job posted:

Brian Scott just kaboomed

The only question left now is which Buschwacker wins.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Hamlin made everyone mad. Everyone.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

All is right in the NASCAR world again: Kyle Busch is pouting like a bitch over a 4th place finish in a race which is meaningless to him.

Ok, I've gone off the deep end. Taking a page out of LASTCAR's book, I'm going to start keeping track of the NXS Best In Class because I'm genuinely interested in who's done the best out of Xfinity regulars. This week's winner, which will make maffewbuildings happy, is :siren: DANIEL SUAREZ :siren:. It's Suarez' third win of the season!

This follows (actual finish in parenthesis. Erik Jones does not count.):
-Daytona- Ryan Reed (OVERALL WINNER!)
-Atlanta- Ty Dillon (3rd)
-LVMS- Ryan "Man Without A Series" Blaney (2nd)
-Phoenix- Ty Dillon (6th)
-California- Brendan Gaughan (2nd)
-Texas- Regan Smith (4th)
-Bristol- Daniel Suarez (2nd)
-Richmond- Regan Smith (3rd)
-Talladega- Brian Scott (2nd because God hates us all)
-Iowa- Chris Buescher (OVERALL WINNER!)
-Charlotte- Regan Smith (5th)
-Dover- Chris Buescher (OVERALL WINNER!)
-Michigan- Chase Elliott (2nd, how'd it take him so long to show up on this list god drat)
-Chicagoland- Ryan "Man Without A Series" Blaney (2nd)
-Daytona- Elliott Sadler (2nd)
-Kentucky- Daniel Suarez (4th)
-NHMS- Daniel Suarez (5th)

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Am I reading that right in that only roush drivers have been the only full time winners this year? Lol

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Possibly Chicken posted:

Am I reading that right in that only roush drivers have been the only full time winners this year? Lol

Yes.

And one of the better drivers in the last few weeks has been RCR's Brian Scott, on another team that hasn't done poo poo in Cup this year.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

VikingSkull posted:

hey Kid Rock loves his stars and bars

Dude's from the sticks, over an hour from Detroit, so yeah.

That's the entire 'downtown' Romeo.

Its a poo poo area where everyone meets at the Tractor Supply Co for Saturday brunch. There's not even any good tracks nearby.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
It's 3AM at Eldora and they're about to start the Main.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The Kings Royal is no joke

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

mearn posted:

Jimmie Johnson one-ups Jeff Burton by leading all 163 laps, including a GWC.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Daytona's got nothing on Eldora, apparently.

Also, Denny Hamlin's mom tweeted this is the last race for his merchandise trailer. His stuff will be combined into a trailer with other drivers at Indy, with everything going to megatents at Pocono and beyond.

e- Hey, Adam Sandler is today's Grand Marshal because there is no God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQUipdid7_c

Fun fact! My brother knew I was at that race and immediately texted me "What the gently caress was that?" after seeing that. :suicide:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 19, 2015

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

From the WTF Files:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

LASTCAR posted:

Jimmie Johnson one-ups Jeff Burton by leading all 163 laps, including a GWC.

Insha'allah

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Kyle Busch is going to win all the races and not make the chase.

Or make the chase and then instantly poo poo the bed

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007

The Croc posted:

Or make the chase and then instantly poo poo the bed

Just like every year hes been in the chase!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

The Croc posted:

Or make the chase and then break his right leg in an accident in the Xfinity race at New Hampshire

PatrickBateman
Jul 26, 2007
So next week will be my first race ever, sadly at Indy. What are the must do's/don'ts and all that poo poo. We got the family passes so we get to go to like A, H and vista I think.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

That pass by Kyle, though.

:drat:

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Casey Mears has been invisible this year, save for being one car away from missing the Daytona 500, and is 20th in points.

There is a bit of a gap between the haves and have-nots this year.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007

PatrickBateman posted:

So next week will be my first race ever, sadly at Indy. What are the must do's/don'ts and all that poo poo.

Don't go.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

PatrickBateman posted:

So next week will be my first race ever, sadly at Indy. What are the must do's/don'ts and all that poo poo. We got the family passes so we get to go to like A, H and vista I think.

Go to the MotoGP race 2 weeks after instead, you'll have much more fun.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

PatrickBateman posted:

At Indy?

Go to the museum, Go to the Mug N'Bun for some root beers.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Go to the MotoGP race 2 weeks after instead, you'll have much more fun.

I'm kind of excited about the rumored WEC weekend there to be honest.

MotoGP also sounds like a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

FuzzySkinner posted:

At Indy?

Go to the museum, Go to the Mug N'Bun for some root beers.

I think he'll need more than root beer.

• Locked thread