Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

SlightlyMadman posted:

How does that work if my game runs on a django back-end? Do I need to make a static offline version?

Submit everything you can, including back-end binaries. Include a readme file with a link to your live website version.

Judges will use your live website but we need an archival version of your game as well.

edit: I should add that we have this rule partly to ensure the site backend doesn't get smashed by people uploading a 1gb game multiple times. Along with other considerations with archival of the submitted games.

Calipark fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
I think people are concerned BECAUSE they want to submit early so they're not rushing like poem recommended. But if they do submit early and then find an issue an hour later they won't be able to update their submission even if it's still before the deadline.

I mean obviously one submission vs an open submission that locks down create a different feeling, but surely you can understand why people might prefer one over the other. They want to have a working build submitted early for safety sake, with the ability to replace it prior to the deadline if there are bugs they find afterwards.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

shoutouts to IRC krew

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

JonTerp posted:

Submit everything you can, including back-end binaries. Include a readme file with a link to your live website version.

Judges will use your live website but we need an archival version of your game as well.

Ok that makes sense. The game is 99% javascript, but I'm using a django server for save games and some initialization and game data. I could put together a static version if need be, but if I can submit the code as well as a link to play the game online that's probably the best from both perspectives.

I just mostly don't want to do anything that will make it a hassle or annoying for judges to have to play my game. The main reason I made it web-based in the first place is that judges in previous years had mentioned they prefer that since they don't have to mess with zip files and installations.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

To wrap up the day, we found that you can effectively hide a head in Unity by scaling the neck and head bones down to 0. This is great for Oculus Rift support. However, for some reason VR mode breaks our ability to move forward (strangely enough, rigidbody.addForce() isn't moving our character forward when VR support is turned on). We added in smoke when you're braking. Honk is in, but very buggy as we play with blending between IK and animations. Likely we'll end up handling the entire thing with a moving IK target.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjmd4BsKP9s

Still need to finish honking, multiplayer, main menu, a track, fix VR support, rudimentary AI, and Xbox controller support. Depending on where we stand a week from today, we might see about item support.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
It's worth mentioning that the deadline is SOLID. The site will stop taking submissions on August 1st ON THE DOT. Use the countdown on the site to gauge this.

We strongly encourage you to adjust your plans to have your game finished, tested, and ready to go a day or two before the deadline as once that clock runs out, that's it. We will not accept your game, even if you started the upload before the end and couldn't finish the upload.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

JonTerp posted:

It's worth mentioning that the deadline is SOLID. The site will stop taking submissions on August 1st ON THE DOT. Use the countdown on the site to gauge this.

We strongly encourage you to adjust your plans to have your game finished, tested, and ready to go a day or two before the deadline as once that clock runs out, that's it. We will not accept your game, even if you started the upload before the end and couldn't finish the upload.

What time zone?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yaaaaaagh

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Like a complete dumbass I worked on my original idea (another Game Knight RPG) for two weeks but just flat out didn't write enough jokes to make anything I felt good enough about handing in. Maybe I'll make a Game Knight game later and sink more time into it. The other side of the story was that I snagged that Humble Bundle and started playing with the toys. I am now in love with Sprite Lamp. So I came up with a new idea that I'm going to lack enough time to flesh out properly but whatever. Maybe I'll work on it more after the jam.

It starts with SHMUP concepts but the main critical omission is ambient light. While your typical SHMUP just lights everything this one exists in a world where that went wrong. Among other things. Short of it is, the game is extremely dark and making light suddenly became kind of hard. What few lights that exist are limited in what they can see. The other critical omission is death. You can't "die" or lose the game really but colliding with the wrong stuff makes your lights dimmer. When they go out they turn back on but you find yourself suddenly wherever you started. I figured it was a cool idea and gives me an excuse to fiddle with Sprite Lamp and learn new poo poo. So long as I learned something it's a win!

It might end up not being more than "fly around and dodge the dark squares you can't always see" but gently caress it, it'll teach me some things.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

poemdexter posted:

For anyone that's not done a gamejam before, the commonly accepted advice is always have your game done and turned in early. Do NOT wait until the last second because you will rush and you will always forget something. Don't let your month of work go to waste because you rushed to turn in and left in a game breaking bug.

Yes, this a hundred times. Everyone should realize: game jams are 40% about being able to make a good game and 60% about time management. Don't overscope, pick a concept that you KNOW is developable in 30 days, and complete the gameplay mechanics as early as possible so you can spend tons of time on adding content, bug squashing, polishing, etc. I had my gameplay basically 100% complete in the first 5 days and I'm still a little worried about getting the game out in a state I'm happy with.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
I have a mostly complete build of my game and I just did the best thing I could have done with it: I had someone who had not seen or knew anything about it sit down and play it.

Right off the bat, I saw about 6 things I need to change. Things that I wouldn't have seen because I am too close to it.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have a mostly complete build of my game and I just did the best thing I could have done with it: I had someone who had not seen or knew anything about it sit down and play it.

Right off the bat, I saw about 6 things I need to change. Things that I wouldn't have seen because I am too close to it.

I'm putting this in the OP because YES.

Get normal people to sit down right in front of you and play your game. You will learn soooo much and if you act on the feedback, likely make your game loads better.

Kingel
Aug 24, 2006

Here's my current progress after a few days of work. :sweatdrop:

I added an interrupt handler today, then accidentally overwrote it with my frame buffer and spent the next couple of hours wondering why my game was crashing. Fun times.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Polo-Rican posted:

Yes, this a hundred times. Everyone should realize: game jams are 40% about being able to make a good game and 60% about time management. Don't overscope, pick a concept that you KNOW is developable in 30 days, and complete the gameplay mechanics as early as possible so you can spend tons of time on adding content, bug squashing, polishing, etc. I had my gameplay basically 100% complete in the first 5 days and I'm still a little worried about getting the game out in a state I'm happy with.

Or when life decides to eat you, tear up your old idea and find something you can get done in a few days.

Yay life. :smith:

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

BossRighteous posted:

What time zone?
It's CST or some nonsense. The countdown clock is accurate to your timezone, though, so just plug it into wolfram alpha and make it do the math for you if you're unsure.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

got a functional 'game over' screen now, feat. medals depending on what you do during the game! what fun.

edit: i've been busy the past week, but fortunately had a productive first week that i'm more or less into testing and bugfixin', just adding tertiary details and more content, basically. the suggestion of getting others to play your game and watching them is such a fantastic idea, it really immediately gives you another perspective.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 21, 2015

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Ain't got much new happening at the moment in terms of actual gameplay or levels - been working on some of the boring stuff like scorekeeping, level unlocks etc but here's a compilation gif of some deaths

edit: something new I guess

KRILLIN IN THE NAME fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jul 21, 2015

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Ain't got much new happening at the moment in terms of actual gameplay or levels - been working on some of the boring stuff like scorekeeping, level unlocks etc but here's a compilation gif of some deaths

I want a dog with laser beam eyes. :(

e: Day 20, I took it easy and only did a little work. Adjusted spawners a bit and made a sprite animation for the roller:

I think tomorrow I'll work on either a title screen or sounds.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 21, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
So many more...assets to create...no time....

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Arachne posted:

I added an interrupt handler today, then accidentally overwrote it with my frame buffer and spent the next couple of hours wondering why my game was crashing. Fun times.

C64?! Sweet. I've been thinking of trying to submit a gameboy game but I probably won't have time to code actual gameplay.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Arachne posted:

This is the most authentic retro looking screen I've seen in a long time.

LOAD "*",8,1

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

boiinnnggg

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
So if you die/get hurt for touching surfaces anyways... does it being an ice stage have any practical impact?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Shalinor posted:

So if you die/get hurt for touching surfaces anyways... does it being an ice stage have any practical impact?

The ice levels don't really effect gameplay a huge amount, just a different environment. I guess the snow/frost kind of obfuscates your vision a little bit but not a huge amount. The only gameplay difference is the bodies of water are frozen over so you bounce off of them instead of being able to go inside.

Bumping into walls at higher speeds causes damage, but spikes are always an instant kill. If you hit the flat part of a rotating spike trap you can bounce off of it too!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

this might be a real dumb question, but is there any requirement to have the SAGDC logo somewhere in the final game? like on a splash page or start screen or anything? or is it considered 'good etiquette' or anything?

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

Nice

here is another gif with a dog

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
This is all amazing stuff.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

wow that dog is a jerk

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Nice

Can you make the dog face the camera and laugh, Duck Hunt style, if the player dies within his view range?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I have no idea if I'll finish this in time!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

You misspelled color.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

poemdexter posted:

You misspelled color.

And randomize. :911:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I don't speak murrcahn

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

I love this.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I think I have a new idea I can finish in the little bit of time left. Wish me luck, I'll need it.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWX4OMJ8MUY

I make fishing game.

I'm slacking hard, but I think it's still on track to be finished but probably pretty poo poo at the deadline.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Enos Shenk posted:

I make fishing game.

Instead of Screen Space reflections just use a cube map. SSR is horrible for highly reflective water surfaces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
poo poo we need to make a titlescreen for burggame, what should we do... OH I KNOW!

... Wait, I can't get a gif of this. I'm the mergrheamhanz guy, it'd ruin my reputation, it's not fun and weird and wacky enough!

Fixed it!

• Locked thread