Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Level Slide posted:

Odin Sphere: Liefdrasir

That's quite a bit of new stuff added. I certainly don't remember Velvet having a command grab.

Have they changed the tedious, boring and repetitive gameplay progression where you play the same levels in different order five times and every level is basically a hallway with doors that go into another hallway?

Odin Sphere was a game I wanted to love, but the gameplay just draaaaaaagged. I didn't get the food growing system and just made those sheep trees until they stopped healing me well, and then I basically stopped playing around the third character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

There were multi-story hallways in the trailer, so that's something. I just hope the gimmicks don't make Odin Sphere's problems even worse.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Have they changed the tedious, boring and repetitive gameplay progression where you play the same levels in different order five times and every level is basically a hallway with doors that go into another hallway?

It's still a Vanillaware game

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Hakkesshu posted:

It's still a Vanillaware game

I liked Muramasa or whatever. The art was great, there were some lovingly drawn butts, and the combat was engaging enough to keep me interested--I liked sustaining long air combos and dashing through enemies and the fluidity of the fighting gave the game a nice sense of pace and skill. It didn't reward button mashing either, so the depth of the combat kept me invested. I don't recall the fighting being nearly as interesting in Odin's Sphere.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Playing through Twilight Princess again got me thinking. Are there any "Zelda clones" out there? Metroidvanias are kind of a dime-a-dozen these days so I'm wondering if anything really captures that ol' Zelda formula in the same way.

All I can think of is Okami and Darksiders.

Beyond Good & Evil.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

From the other thread they mentioned that you won't have to replay levels between characters anymore. I suspect that just means they are changing up the area layouts for each character though, and not actually having 6-7 unique tilesets for each character.

I liked Muramasa or whatever. The art was great, there were some lovingly drawn butts, and the combat was engaging enough to keep me interested--I liked sustaining long air combos and dashing through enemies and the fluidity of the fighting gave the game a nice sense of pace and skill. It didn't reward button mashing either, so the depth of the combat kept me invested. I don't recall the fighting being nearly as interesting in Odin's Sphere.

Pretty much the opposite for me. Muramasa's entire deal is that it gets less interesting and fun the more you understand the combat system, because like half of it doesn't work right or at all. Plus the Hard mode is just garbage.

Odin Sphere is slow and deliberate but most of it actually works. Assuming you play on Hard mode and have to actually pay attention to things anyway. And you're playing the PAL version so the game is actually playable at all.

I have not played the revised version of Muramasa mind you, I have no idea what they changed about that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

precision posted:

the binding of isaac

How the hell is BoI anything like Zelda other than that they both have overhead view of a room.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PerniciousKnid posted:

Beyond Good & Evil.

Another game I meant to play but hadn't yet. Once again I thank you goons for the great videogame recommendations! I was under the impression BG&E was more akin to Spyro or B-K than Zelda though.

And I'm sorry, posters from two threads ago that told me to not give Ubisoft money, but I swear BG&E will be my last purchase.

Also thanks everyone for not suggesting Star Fox Adventures

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Taint Reaper posted:

I never played through Rise's part in Persona 4.

Yeah I'm done with Yukiko I think, Risette supremacy from here on out.

My man.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Bah, Yukiko just wanted a man.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

http://m.ign.com/videos/2015/07/20/no-mans-sky-6-minutes-of-exploration-gameplay-ign-first

This new 6-minute gameplay video for No Man's Sky is pretty great, you get to see a dude paid specifically by IGN to hype up the game gradually become bored of wandering around the very first world he lands on in real, procedurally generated time.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Another game I meant to play but hadn't yet. Once again I thank you goons for the great videogame recommendations! I was under the impression BG&E was more akin to Spyro or B-K than Zelda though.

And I'm sorry, posters from two threads ago that told me to not give Ubisoft money, but I swear BG&E will be my last purchase.

Also thanks everyone for not suggesting Star Fox Adventures

BG&E has a hero on an adventure rising to the occasion through exploration and light-but-satisfying combat. To me that's what Zelda is, under all the repetitious nostalgia-laden tropes. I haven't played Spyro or B-K so I can't comment on those.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Mak0rz posted:

Playing through Twilight Princess again got me thinking. Are there any "Zelda clones" out there? Metroidvanias are kind of a dime-a-dozen these days so I'm wondering if anything really captures that ol' Zelda formula in the same way.

All I can think of is Okami and Darksiders.

A bit late on this, but Anodyne is zeldalike but it also subversive af and not a true Zelda clone. NIER is very 3d Zeldish but it has the opposite kind of plot and doesn't feature gadgets.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Okay, good to know. Does it have the whole 'Go through dungeon, find item, kill boss' sort of thing? Also:

PerniciousKnid posted:

I haven't played B-K

wtf???

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
That Nanako Super Limited DLC outfit for Persona Dancing All Night is just a giant pickle

You dress a little anime girl up in a pickle costume

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Okay, good to know. Does it have the whole 'Go through dungeon, find item, kill boss' sort of thing?

It's that, minus the actual item, you just go to dungeons and beat the boss. You do usually pick up a new magic ability from beating a boss or right before you fight one, but there aren't any item based puzzles like you'd find in Zelda. It just has a similar overworld/dungeoning playstyle.

Also Epona is a giant boar that can drift :v:

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

http://m.ign.com/videos/2015/07/20/no-mans-sky-6-minutes-of-exploration-gameplay-ign-first

This new 6-minute gameplay video for No Man's Sky is pretty great, you get to see a dude paid specifically by IGN to hype up the game gradually become bored of wandering around the very first world he lands on in real, procedurally generated time.
List of things you can do on a planet:
  • shoot gun
  • look at animal
  • look at box

No Man's Sky really is an impressive display of what developers really can do with the power of the Playstation 4.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
No Man's Sky just screamed "pie in the sky pipe dream game that's just going to be totally mediocre if it ever actually comes out" during last year's E3 so I'm glad it hasn't disappointed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hope you can change the FOV in No Man's Sky because it is nauseatingly low. Like, actually nauseating, as in I couldn't watch that video all the way through. And not just because it was kinda boring!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CJacobs posted:

I hope you can change the FOV in No Man's Sky

Why? Do you intend to buy/play it?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Great Joe posted:

List of things you can do on a planet:
  • shoot gun
  • look at animal
  • look at box

No Man's Sky really is an impressive display of what developers really can do with the power of the Playstation 4.

It's the Pokemon Snap sequel we always wanted.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

if you don't mind indies Oceanhorn looks like a p cool Zelda-like

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Oceanhorn is decent but has some jank from being a mobile port, looks nice though

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's the Pokemon Snap sequel we always wanted.

I don't actually know how to respond to this because on one hand Pokemon Snap owns and on the other it's hilarious that people paid like $70 for an N64 cartridge of it when today it would be a 10 or 15 dollar digital store game

Someone form an opinion on Pokemon Snap for me

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

so, let me get this straight

a game that hadnt been released yet rode a huge hype train because noone had really played it yet

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Jon Do posted:

a game that hadnt been released yet rode a huge hype train because noone had really played it yet
I thought it was gonna be crap from the start. :colbert:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Great Joe posted:

I thought it was gonna be crap from the start. :colbert:

Yeah I remember not having any clue why people were hyped for it at E3 2014. Game has looked like boring poo poo since day one.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Broseph Brostar posted:

Yeah I remember not having any clue why people were hyped for it at E3 2014. Game has looked like boring poo poo since day one.

Yeah, it really looks like a steamer ready to bomb.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Jon Do posted:

Please be more specific.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ekster posted:

Please be more specific.
They're referring to No Man's Sky.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Exclusive new in-game footage, haven't seen this one posted yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q8q0psNtZA

Edit: Yes, nothing is prefab by the way, it's all generated on the fly.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Broseph Brostar posted:

It only got hype because it was the one interesting thing to be shown at VGX other than Joel McHale heckling Geoff for hours.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the ground texture in the nms video was very bad.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Broseph Brostar posted:

Space combined with procedural generation seems to tickle a very specific part of the nerd brain, from Spore to Star Citizen to Starbound people get so caught up in their fantasies of an ~endless world with infinite opportunities~ that even if the game was actually good it would still be a letdown to them.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

The thing about an endless world with infinite possibilities is that even if you CAN do everything, there's never a reason to do anything.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I think it's stupid that in the IGN video they let the two most boring people speak, then fill the background with weirdos who are all probably way more interesting but don't let them talk.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

I think it's stupid that in the IGN video they let the two most boring people speak, then fill the background with weirdos who are all probably way more interesting but don't let them talk.

i think its stupid that the video wasn't "hey lets show someone accomplish a tangible goal." that video is way overdue.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

i think its stupid that the video wasn't "hey lets show someone accomplish a tangible goal." that video is way overdue.
I'd settle for watching someone eat a tangerine.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

mmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

*nods* It is hard to find people who will get to the higher levels of Pac Man.

• Locked thread