Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
FF4A's extended content had a purpose and the cave of trials wasn't actually that bad- it didn't look terrible in general, the mobs were kinda boring but more interesting than CT's bonus content enemies, and it got your old crew members geared/leveled for the moon.

The Lunar Trials had character specific themes/trials and some were really annoying but still, reasonably imaginative.

FF6A had the Dragon's Nest which was a pretty poo poo multi-party dungeon but it still felt less :effort: than this poo poo.

Also FF4/6A's bonus content doesn't try to tie it to a lovely sequel (FF4 GOT a really awful sequel but that's beside the point).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Cerebral Bore posted:

So let me get this straight: You go fetch some bullshit item for some interchangeable lizardperson from some boring dungeon filled with uninteresting gimmick enemies for a reward that you don't need. What's even the point?

The point will be come clear when Leave has a certain arm for Robo and a certain accessory that ups critical hit rates. If memory serves correctly, said accessory can only be gained in the 600 AD Sanctum, after finishing everything to do with that hellhole.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Gotta say that I'm really glad that I never did this part.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

mauman posted:

Gotta say that I'm really glad that I never did this part.

Amen. I heard this part was bad from word-of-mouth and decided to entirely ignore it. Looks like it was a good idea. I did the other half of the new content and that was okay, at least.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Fabricated posted:

FF4A's extended content had a purpose and the cave of trials wasn't actually that bad- it didn't look terrible in general, the mobs were kinda boring but more interesting than CT's bonus content enemies, and it got your old crew members geared/leveled for the moon.

The Lunar Trials had character specific themes/trials and some were really annoying but still, reasonably imaginative.

FF6A had the Dragon's Nest which was a pretty poo poo multi-party dungeon but it still felt less :effort: than this poo poo.

Also FF4/6A's bonus content doesn't try to tie it to a lovely sequel (FF4 GOT a really awful sequel but that's beside the point).

And FF5A included four new jobs (though two of them were rear end, and you got one of the others only after you cleared out the bonus dungeon).

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I just don't get why there's so many obvious seams either in tiles or in entire stretches of the map. Some tiles just get thrown into the middle of other tiles even though they don't match the set, or there's a shadow tile that's a full square instead of just a half.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Cheez posted:

I just don't get why there's so many obvious seams either in tiles or in entire stretches of the map. Some tiles just get thrown into the middle of other tiles even though they don't match the set, or there's a shadow tile that's a full square instead of just a half.

I wasn't really looking at the low effort mapmaking very closely, but holy poo poo. Seams everywhere, mismatched tilesets that don't match edges. It's incredibly bad.

Screw FF4A's bonus dungeons, TAY has more effort put into it's maps and content than this.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!

Leavemywife posted:

Last time, on Chrono Trigger, I nearly hung myself when doing the first little bit in this place. Today, I'll come one step closer to needing psychiatric treatment, so let's bounce.

Oh please, if I did the whole thing in one sitting and (somehow) survived, you'll be just fine.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
So that Dragon Arm that was inexplicably made by a Reptite...is stronger than the Terra Arm? And is a quest reward for something you can do as soon as you can fly, guarded by fetch-quests and chump-rear end HP pillows

I guess balance went out the window for this intern, because The gently caress

quote:

Two things:
1. lmao

2. What if this had hit you in "level-appropriate" equipment and levels (say high 30s, low 40s), just after clearing the Blackbird?

A Pleasant Hug fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 21, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Cheez posted:

I didn't notice until you pointed it out, but holy poo poo. :psyduck: They couldn't even keep like the basic stuff consistent? This stuff really was tacked on.

Look at that. That looks like it was sloppily put together.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
The more I look at this content, the more depressed I get.

EDIT:

Dr. Fetus posted:

I didn't notice until you pointed it out, but holy poo poo. :psyduck: They couldn't even keep like the basic stuff consistent? This stuff really was tacked on.

For fucks sakes I put more effort into that goddamn ROM hack and I wasn't even paid. I made fuckin' palm trees out of that tileset.

I need a drink.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Regalingualius posted:

And FF5A included four new jobs (though two of them were rear end, and you got one of the others only after you cleared out the bonus dungeon).

It's worth noting that as bad as the FF Advance bonus content is, it does reasonably provide more gameplay above the base game. So, in FFIV, you get a giant semi-randomized playground of dungeon crawling where you can take in a custom party, capstoned with character specific mini stories. In effect, you're getting more of the basic gameplay of FFIV, such as it is. In FFV, you get long endurance slogs of dungeons and bosses forcing you to push FFV's options to the limit. Finally, FFVI gives you a three party dungeon that lets you go all out with your most powerful stuff and actually needs it at times (unlike base FFVI where a single character with no espers can win with little trouble).

There's nothing, to my knowledge (since I've only read about it instead of slowly cutting myself), in the CT bonus content that actually expands the CT gameplay beyond "spam your most powerful move over and over". There's no greater challenge that encourages variety, nothing that forces you to find the most powerful options at your disposal, and nothing that uses CT's unique gimmicks (in fact, they're ignored, really).

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I ran through this whole dungeon on my phone in one really slow night of work. You have my pity. You're at least making it entertaining for us, which is more than Square could be bothered to do.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

ParanoidLogician posted:

Oh please, if I did the whole thing in one sitting and (somehow) survived, you'll be just fine.

You're not the one documenting it for the internet.

Which is why I've hidden something in one of the pictures.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

look at that ledge

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Trasson posted:

There's nothing, to my knowledge (since I've only read about it instead of slowly cutting myself), in the CT bonus content that actually expands the CT gameplay beyond "spam your most powerful move over and over". There's no greater challenge that encourages variety, nothing that forces you to find the most powerful options at your disposal, and nothing that uses CT's unique gimmicks (in fact, they're ignored, really).

I don't really want to spoil things, but this isn't true for the other set of bonus content. (Done at an appropriate level)

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I think Leave is full of poo poo. I think he actually enjoys doing the Lost Sanctum.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Kheldarn posted:

I think Leave is full of poo poo. I think he actually enjoys doing the Lost Sanctum.

Hey now. Them's actionable words.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Hey, foes I can curbstomp without trouble, easy fetch quests, some worthy rewards- what's not to enjoy? Other than the tedium of doing it over and over and over.... :smugissar: The bad graphics and lack of a real story to it all don't help.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

That's it, you're off the Christmas card list!

:argh:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The Hercules beetle is the actual name of a species of beetle known for incredible strength.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

That's it, you're off the Christmas card list!

:argh:

Allow me to quote Spider-Man here:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I'll say one thing though, I do prefer the not-lost not-sanctum. They bothered to do something I can appreciate them for doing, even if it isn't much.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Nihilarian posted:

look at that ledge

The water! The Water!!!!!!

Leavemywife posted:

You're not the one documenting it for the internet.

Which is why I've hidden something in one of the pictures.

Now you're gonna make one of us look through the update more than once now dammit!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

KDavisJr posted:

Now you're gonna make one of us look through the update more than once now dammit!

I can only do so much to really try and re-create the experience for those of you playing at home.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

KDavisJr posted:

I had to look through it three times. :colbert:

I could have pointed it out last night, but I decided to pass on the angst and let the rest of you find it yourselves.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Trasson posted:

It's worth noting that as bad as the FF Advance bonus content is, it does reasonably provide more gameplay above the base game. So, in FFIV, you get a giant semi-randomized playground of dungeon crawling where you can take in a custom party, capstoned with character specific mini stories. In effect, you're getting more of the basic gameplay of FFIV, such as it is. In FFV, you get long endurance slogs of dungeons and bosses forcing you to push FFV's options to the limit. Finally, FFVI gives you a three party dungeon that lets you go all out with your most powerful stuff and actually needs it at times (unlike base FFVI where a single character with no espers can win with little trouble).

Let's not forget the content for the GBA version of 1 + 2. Part one gets four new dungeons filled with love letters to the series and actively fun randomized concepts (including active connections to Dissidia and the Unified Gilgamesh Theory), not to mention game-breakingly good rewards for ultra hard bosses. Part 2 meanwhile gets Dawn of Souls, where the already wackadoo plot of the game gets sent into full on crazytown with a sequel story that was hinted at in even the original game but never before utilized in game format, and preparing of which means doing some crazy rear end micromanagement in the main game.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

counterfeitsaint posted:

I had to look through it three times. :colbert:

I could have pointed it out last night, but I decided to pass on the angst and let the rest of you find it yourselves.

Spoiler it or something for the rest of us who don't like playing find the pixel? :v:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Or can't look at the photos without an urge to drink themselves to death. :rubshands:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Or can't look at the photos without an urge to drink themselves to death. :rubshands:

That's the trick, there is no hidden thing and you were meant to comb through it over and over to simulate the gameplay

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Alabaster White posted:

That's the trick, there is no hidden thing and you were meant to comb through it over and over to simulate the gameplay

https://youtu.be/9uX3E3hze7M?t=1m54s

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

I just can't get over the top of that ledge directly to the left of the Nu. 3 poorly copy-pasted edge bits that don't connect to each other, leaving implausibly rectangular gaps. I especially like the bit at the corner near the Nu. Oh, and I just noticed the ledge behind Chrono is the same. Exactly the same.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I meanwhile noticed first how crummy the little part jutting out down below across the water to the right looked. But yeah, considering how much love and attention the rest of the game's art assets are, the cut and paste job of this level is conspicuously lazy.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Sixty Three: Meet The Nu Master, Same As The Old gently caress You This Reference Is Too Cool For The Lost Sanctum

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Chrono Trigger, we gathered a couple of Prismastones and created a very special rock. Today, we're going to climb a mountain and kick someone's rear end, so let's bounce.

I decided to drag Robo and Janus along; Robo has a new punchin' arm and I just like having Janus along. Robo has the Prism Specs, by the by.

Of course you do.

Oh, yeah, by the way, we're in the 600 AD Sanctum. We'll be here for most of the update.

If you're so worried about him needing company, why don't you go and bring him a picnic lunch?

Yes, fine.

So the 600 AD Sanctum doesn't have a jungle, but a regular ol' forest.

As well as these douchebags.

They're easy enough to kill, but they run around that bush and there's no way to dodge the encounter. Whenever you come past here, you have to fight them.

It's a ten second obstacle in a place full of overly long walks and other assorted bullshit.

Were I still trying to abuse the Arena for massive profit, this cash could come in handy.

But, here's the path to reach Mount Emerald.

I want you to remember, he's had sixty-five million years to train to fight us.

Oh, you didn't think we'd be doing it here, did you? No, no, that's not enough convoluted bullshit for this bonus content.

Alright, let's get this over with.

Why, yes, that is a broken ladder.

As the Obviouslord has pointed out, we can't use this. Never mind Robo has extendo arms and can probably pull himself to the top and pull everyone else up. That'd be too easy.

So there's a guy with a ladder fetish around here; let's go see what he has to say about this.

Alright, we've gotta go find some vines in a regular forest. We're not going to the jungle to find these things. We're sticking in 600 AD.

So I guess we can explore a little bit around here.

And by that, I mean I had to wander around here to find the vines.

Which gave me an opportunity to show off the one tech of Janus' we haven't seen.

It works like X-Zone in Final Fantasy VI in that it targets all enemies and has a chance to instantly remove one of them from the fight. I don't think the success rate is very high, but it's a neat idea, if nothing else. It's also the only Tech that, when successful, simply instantly kills the enemy.

Doesn't that look like something important? It does, doesn't it?

Well, it ain't poo poo, so we're going in a cave.

It's the same as the last time, and doesn't have the vines, but it does have something we'll need later on.

It'll save one step of annoyance, which is good. Though, on the bright side, once we finish this update, we'll be roughly halfway through the Lost Sanctum content.

Just north of the bush where the Dire Rats hang out is where the vines we need are.

Alright, let's go and fix---

...I hate you, Robo.

So, yeah. As per the futuristic robot with memory banks containing tons and tons of science, history, geography and all sorts of other knowledge, we have to travel back 65,000,000 years, take some vines, and build a new goddamned ladder with them, because that'll surely last, just like the other ladder did.

I honestly wish I was making this poo poo up and playing a massive joke on everyone reading the thread.

Look, even Janus is getting out of here after that bullshit!

Game, it doesn't make it any better when you point out your fantastic bullshit.

Do you hear me, whoever wrote this? Whoever told you that was amusing and charming and you should do it more often is not looking out for your best interests.

And now, through the magic of editing

We're back in 600 AD.

I'm writing this update, and this bullshit has reminded me I need to take my blood pressure pill.

Still that save point hanging around.

Well, we're about to find a piece of equipment we didn't before. Not that it's unique to here or anything.

Sounds like it should be a kickass piece of equipment made from the Rainbow Shell, but it isn't. It halves Lightning damage and...That's about it. Not a bad helmet, really, but just not as good as what we currently have.

Status ailment immunity is where it's at.

This halves Water damage, but suffers from the same issue the Rainbow Helmet does.

Uh-huh.

He's up to 8800 HP for this fight, but his defenses are lower; he's lost his elemental counters, but gained a couple of other annoyances.

One thing he's gained is that he's not afraid to go ahead and body slam a fool for being up in his grill.

He also absorbs Shadow now. I don't know why.

And after you attack him with anything, he has a drain counter.

Which is a pain in the rear end, not because it heals him, but because of the damage it does to our guys.

Magic is still a better way to go about fighting this guy.

He has some other new tricks, too.

Including gently caress-off bolts of lightning. He also has the same standard Nu attack of reducing your HP to 1 with a headbutt.

He also has an instant death attack.

It missed Chrono, but it's good to know. There aren't too many instant death attacks in the game.

Honestly, if not for his stupid-high defenses, this fight wouldn't have been much more than a bump in the road.

Robo, you can field this one.

Jesus, you teach a robot emotions and camaraderie one time and then they never shut up about them.

Is this an appropriate picture for goons.png? It seems like it.

I can't even think of a good line here.

Eh, I guess I'd accept you in my party. Gaspar would like the company.

If joy is a prerequisite for anything involving this rear end in a top hat, then he's immediately out.

That's it, Robo. You're off the team.

Oh, you can't help me with what I really want.

Notice he's snoozing in front of a bridge. If you listen carefully, you can nearly hear my blood pressure rising.

This is where I found that Prismastone. Doesn't it look like something else could go there?

Mount Emerald is the bane of all those who have played this content.

I can't wait until we get to the Dimensional Vortexes.

Yeah. The last guy we helped gives us a badass new weapon for Robo, while this chucklefuck gives us a piece of armor that is easily outclassed through doing one of the simplest sidequests.

Whatever, we're done for now. Next time, we'll assist in a construction project.

Stay tuned!

Leave fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 22, 2015

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Why?! Why would they do this? Why are YOU doing this? There's plenty more content to ACTUALLY enjoy in Chrono Trigger. Why do this painful slog?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So the solution for a broken ladder is to put up another ladder 65 million years in the past, and it somehow survives in pristine condition for all that time? And all this when you're running around with a dude who literally can fly in the party?

Compelling game design on display here, I must say.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Someone couldn't be arsed to make climbable vines.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Iunnrais posted:

Why?! Why would they do this? Why are YOU doing this? There's plenty more content to ACTUALLY enjoy in Chrono Trigger. Why do this painful slog?

Because we're getting to laugh are asses off that's why.

Keep going you mad man :allears:

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
A couple of things.

1. Black Hole does not target all enemies. It only targets enemies within Magus Janus' "zone", similar to Area Bomb and Tail Spin. Also, it can eat some of Son of Sun's flames, as they are not immune, taking some of the guesswork out of that fight.

2. I have a serious problem with this:

quote:

what in the gently caress was the guy who made this thinking
like i get they wanted to make a 'Nu' boss, but then they give it a special attack that halves the target's HP, some average spells (probably some others we didn't see too). When their regular attack can set you to 1, and also has instant-death spells. that whole fight would be improved by just removing all those ancillary attacks (and the dumbshit absorb-counter that exists only to prolong the fight) and leaving it with its basic attack, instadeath spell, and the elemental counterattack the first one had; just with some stats behind it. even at "we can fly now, guys!" power levels that would be doable. it would also actually be fun & interesting & dangerous & make you think & result in a memorable optional boss instead of a slog through a stupid, sandbagging counterattack by a loser who has rarely-threatening attacks against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.

Leavemywife posted:

Oh, you can't help me with what I really want.
:golfclap:

e: dammit I’ve had that song stuck in my head all day :argh:

GrimRevenant fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 23, 2015

• Locked thread