Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah EVE is awesome for the textures. Sometimes the effects can be buggy but it generally is a much better mod now than when it was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are the EVE textures optional, or do I have to download the entire mod? I don't mind the regular game effects, and the less compatibility patches I need to juggle the better.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Another energy weapon retexture I like is this one: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/56212/

It's just the LAER but it adds a new one for the base model and another for Elijah's advanced ones. There's this nifty retexture of the flare gun too: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44243/

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Going past 100 plugins is when the game starts acting weird because of too many plugins, right?

Also has Cliff Briscoe always been a terrible caravan player with a load of cash or did one of the mods I'm using do that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Electric Phantasm posted:

Going past 100 plugins is when the game starts acting weird because of too many plugins, right?

Also has Cliff Briscoe always been a terrible caravan player with a load of cash or did one of the mods I'm using do that.

Cliff Briscoe's always a shithead who has 30-odd cards and 25 of them are Jacks.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

So when I equip a plasma rifle the little lightning bits only show up when I look at it from certain angles, they don't show up at all for the Q-35 in first person. Is this a bug I can fix or is it an engine thing?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I have done every mission of New Vegas several times, but I have never bothered with Caravan. Is it worth it?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I didn't understand or read the rules and randomly picking cards failed to win every attempt. I still buy all the cards any time someone sells them, though.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Is there a mod which makes the head lamps on the power armors work?

Edit: Also caravan is a lot simpler than it looks, the game just does a terrible job of explaining it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I have done every mission of New Vegas several times, but I have never bothered with Caravan. Is it worth it?

Early game it's a good way to get ahead in caps, especially since there's a few early game merchants that play.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Caravan is decent, you're trying to chain cards together so they come as close to 26 as possible, only the numbered cards count and you can use the royal cards to mess up your opponent. Stuffing your deck with 10s 9s and 8s is a pretty optimal tactic.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I don't know, I kinda prefer killing people, taking their poo poo and selling it to the broad in the Mojave Outpost.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Luminaflare posted:

Edit: Also caravan is a lot simpler than it looks, the game just does a terrible job of explaining it.

I got the collector's edition of the game, and one of the things it came with is a deck of cards with characters from the game on them, along with an extra card that explains the rules of Caravan. Being able to refer to that while playing helped a lot, though it still took a little bit before it suddenly clicked.

It is good for getting money early on (for example by buying something and then winning your money back), but holy balls the interface is terrible; you can't use the mouse for it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Cliff Briscoe's always a shithead

Cliff Briscoe is a gentleman and a saint you take that back :mad:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Antistar01 posted:

I got the collector's edition of the game, and one of the things it came with is a deck of cards with characters from the game on them, along with an extra card that explains the rules of Caravan. Being able to refer to that while playing helped a lot, though it still took a little bit before it suddenly clicked.

It is good for getting money early on (for example by buying something and then winning your money back), but holy balls the interface is terrible; you can't use the mouse for it.

It's even worse when the game doesn't tell you this, at first I thought my game was busted, but it turns out the only way chose a card is with the directional keys.

Also got to the point ED-E's quests where you have to choose between BoS and FoA and for some reason someone decided to redo Lorenzo's line except they are poorly implemented so the first few lines are spoken with his original voice and all of sudden his voice changes for the last line to some Spanish sounding dude.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Also got to the point ED-E's quests where you have to choose between BoS and FoA and for some reason someone decided to redo Lorenzo's line except they are poorly implemented so the first few lines are spoken with his original voice and all of sudden his voice changes for the last line to some Spanish sounding dude.

I laughed my rear end off when that happened. I started getting flashbacks to Oblivion, it was like Obsidian was struck with the Bethesda Curse.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

King Vidiot posted:

I laughed my rear end off when that happened. I started getting flashbacks to Oblivion, it was like Obsidian was struck with the Bethesda Curse.

Wait this was a problem in vanilla New Vegas? It sounded so low quality I thought a modder felt like we weren't getting the full experience from someone named Lorenzo and wanted to fix it.

I wouldn't mind a Lorenzo voice change actually it would fix the problem of everybody except like two people in the Brother of Steel being voiced by the same guy.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I would imagine they accidentally left in some placeholder dialogue by one of the devs for that one guy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Okay, Weapon Animation Replacers. I need a hand doing some fine tuning with it. The author apparently made a variant for SMGs and guns with vertical grips, but it isn't included in Gopher's FOMOD menu for the mod. Any ideas how I could get this particular animation to work in the game?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Luminaflare posted:

Is there a mod which makes the head lamps on the power armors work?

I think this is the one I used:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39968/

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

I think I need a mod suggestion too. Is there a mod that can help with the traps (mines and bombs)? Something that works like the Spotter perk?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nekoxid posted:

I think I need a mod suggestion too. Is there a mod that can help with the traps (mines and bombs)? Something that works like the Spotter perk?

Doesn't Rex's perk point out traps?

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

nekoxid posted:

I recommend Gopher's Advanced Recon Trap Detection: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39476/

He's got a lot of other mods in the same theme, giving you night vision goggles, thermal vision, and stealth armor. All really well done with MCM options. I use most of them with his Cyborg mod so that I don't have to actually wear the goggles to get the night vision: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37228/

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

King Vidiot posted:

Cliff Briscoe is a gentleman and a saint you take that back :mad:

After he played nearly half a dozen jacks in a row, I shot him in the face with a 12 gauge coinshot.

"Keep the change." :clint:

nekoxid
Mar 17, 2009

Propagandist posted:

I recommend Gopher's Advanced Recon Trap Detection: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/39476/

He's got a lot of other mods in the same theme, giving you night vision goggles, thermal vision, and stealth armor. All really well done with MCM options. I use most of them with his Cyborg mod so that I don't have to actually wear the goggles to get the night vision: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37228/

Oh that looks good. Thanks!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Using the survivalist bunker mod in the OP and I don't like location, how hard would it be for someone who has never used GECK to move it somewhere else?

edit: is the guide in the OP enough?

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Question about radio extenders like the Mysterious Broadcast extender: if I delete a few songs that I don't like, will the radio station still play properly? I ask because the Mysterious Broadcast extender adds a lot of good songs but it also has several that are really bad, so I'd just like to get rid of them while keeping the songs I either like or at least don't mind.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wait this was a problem in vanilla New Vegas? It sounded so low quality I thought a modder felt like we weren't getting the full experience from someone named Lorenzo and wanted to fix it.

Yeah it's in the vanilla game. I thought the same thing myself but I looked it up, it's just part of the game.

What I want to know is if this occasional thing I get where an NPC will say "Whatever" with no dialog is part of the game or a mod. I'm pretty sure it's a mod because I don't remember it happening on any previous playthrough, I just don't know what mod it is. Tale of Two Wastelands seems the likely culprit but I could be mistaken, it's one of the few new mods I'm using that I didn't before.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Using the survivalist bunker mod in the OP and I don't like location, how hard would it be for someone who has never used GECK to move it somewhere else?

edit: is the guide in the OP enough?

Not hard at all.

Technically, all you would need to do is one of the following:

A) Move the exterior door (the one you would use to enter into the bunker) to your new location. You just find said door in the worldspace and drag it and it's teleport marker (the yellow box) to the new spot. Easy if you only want to move it a short distance, but a pain if you want your bunker in another part of the map entirely.

B) Place a new door in your desired location and edit the interior door (the one you would use to leave the bunker) to teleport to the new door instead of the old entrance. You'll need to have already placed the new door, and know what cell it's located in so you can find it in the menu. If you plan on putting the bunker out in the middle of nowhere (i.e. somewhere with no other doors around) it's easy... you'll just need to remember the name of the cell if it has one, or it's coordinates if it doesn't.

Obviously you would want to add some static objects to the worldspace around your new entrance so it looks like there is a bunker there, and probably get rid of the bunker mound at the original location, but that's purely cosmetic. You won't have to gently caress around with the bunker interior other than possibly editing the door.

Hobo on Fire fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 23, 2015

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah it's in the vanilla game. I thought the same thing myself but I looked it up, it's just part of the game.

What I want to know is if this occasional thing I get where an NPC will say "Whatever" with no dialog is part of the game or a mod. I'm pretty sure it's a mod because I don't remember it happening on any previous playthrough, I just don't know what mod it is. Tale of Two Wastelands seems the likely culprit but I could be mistaken, it's one of the few new mods I'm using that I didn't before.

Same here, came to the same conclusion also because I also had unvoiced dialogue of people giving me poo poo for moving their stuff or just looking at a locked door in Mojave which is probably a consequence of getting 3 to work with New Vegas.

Hobo on Fire posted:

Not hard at all.

Technically, all you would need to do is one of the following:

A) Move the exterior door (the one you would use to enter into the bunker) to your new location. You just find said door in the worldspace and drag it and it's teleport marker (the yellow box) to the new spot. Easy if you only want to move it a short distance, but a pain if you want your bunker in another part of the map entirely.

B) Place a new door in your desired location and edit the interior door (the one you would use to leave the bunker) to teleport to the new door instead of the old entrance. You'll need to have already placed the new door, and know what cell it's located in so you can find it in the menu. If you plan on putting the bunker out in the middle of nowhere (i.e. somewhere with no other doors around) you'll just need to remember the name of the cell if it has one, or it's coordinates if it doesn't.

Obviously you would want to add some static objects to the worldspace around your new entrance so it looks like there is a bunker there, and probably get rid of the bunker mound at the original location, but that's purely cosmetic. You won't have to gently caress around with the bunker interior other than possibly editing the door.

How much pain are we talking about with A? I want it on the complete opposite side of the map probably somewhere near the cave where you start Honest Heart.

Regardless both methods sound easy enough, thank you for your help.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah I think the "whatever" thing probably comes from the way TTW changes some of the dialogue trees, mostly to add new skill-based speech checks to Fallout 3 where there were none before. Could be wrong though.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
How did I ever live without a sprint/grenade button via Project Nevada?

But now the game is making GBS threads itself whenever I destroy a limb and it just shows a red square with a giant exclamation point :smithicide:

I'm bug testing right now and I think the missing textures are from EVE, but after reinstalling it still shows up.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Project Nevada is easily one of my 'can't play without' mods. I love the visors and sprint button, just love 'em.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

maev posted:

Project Nevada is easily one of my 'can't play without' mods. I love the visors and sprint button, just love 'em.

Sprint button and grenade button? Yes...Visors? Rofl no.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like the night-vision visors on certain armor types, because if you combine it with a mod that makes nights dark, it makes getting a set of armor with night-vision a really big deal.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Alain Post posted:

I like the night-vision visors on certain armor types, because if you combine it with a mod that makes nights dark, it makes getting a set of armor with night-vision a really big deal.

Yeah that's fine but there are visor overlays that put ugly borders around the screen to make it seem like you're wearing a helmet.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like the dynamic crosshair too.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah that's fine but there are visor overlays that put ugly borders around the screen to make it seem like you're wearing a helmet.

I like it, turns out that its really hard to fight from the inside of an enclosed metal suit, and it gives power armor and full-helmet armors a neat drawback. I totally get that some people wouldn't like basically having their fov reduced though.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I get its a personal thing, but in general when you were a helmet with two tiny eye sockets your peripheral vision will suffer. Having to take it off indoors to look for that duct tape is cool, as well as feeling like there is a downside to wearing a tin bucket on your head in combat.

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's bad to obscure your already unrealistically limited fov for some kind of false verisimilitude imo.