Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
My Saul was actually really good, and was up or even in literally every stat at 20/20. I don't think I ever really used Ellen at all and Clarine got dumped after she only had 4 Mag at L18.

Anyway yeah, Niime actually is really great and aside from HP (which is easily fixable with an Angelic Robe and liberal use of Nosferatu), she doesn't really have any downsides. She's not as good as a raised Ray, but she doesn't have to be because I guarantee that you don't have a single person who has both Staves A and any Magic at A at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Artix posted:

I guarantee that you don't have a single person who has both Staves A and any Magic at A at this point.

Cecilia could reach it with some heavy staff-bot duties since she starts at C there and already has A in Anima.

Then again, Cecilia.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also, staff rank is a huge pain in the rear end to grind in this game. Melth had Lilina heal 1-2 times nearly every single turn after she promoted and didn't even reach physic staves until the end of the game, much less warp. Niime is good.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Niime is a glorious gift. She needs 1 Angelic robe to essentially become immortal and she even has the benefit of being able to use Apocalypse to boost her staff range to even more absurd levels. She is the ultimate example of "Your green glowing stats don't mean anything."

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
You know, I thinks it's safe to say any men of the royal family in Bern are Royal Douche Bags and only the women should be in charge as they are actually SANE. Put all the men of the royal family in the countries military, but keep them from any real positions of Authority in it.

OminousEdge fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 22, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

OminousEdge posted:

You know, I thinks it's safe to say any men of the royal family in Bern are Royal Douche Bags and only the women should be in charge as they are actually SANE. Put all the men of the royal family in the countries military, but keep them from any real positions of Authority in it.

Guinevere is the only decent person to come out of the Bern royal family. Though in Zephiels case it's because he's quite literally gone insane, Desmond was just the absolute worst, and Helen was a similarly just the absolute worst until Eliwood told her to gently caress off with that nonsense. And that still didn't stop Desmond from trying to kill his son for a second time.

EDIT: also vilk do you have a Skype or a Steam I could contact you on?

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 22, 2015

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I dunno I don't think Niime is that bad but from what I remember even with a Robe her HP + Def is low enough she gets one-shot by a lot of the enemies on Chapter 21 for example (Hard Mode that is). At least the Wyvern Lords. Her defenses are REALLY poo poo and you need to baby her a ton for not that great results. Certainly worth it for the staff rank if you're not using any of the healers but Yodel is arguably better.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

I dunno I don't think Niime is that bad but from what I remember even with a Robe her HP + Def is low enough she gets one-shot by a lot of the enemies on Chapter 21 for example (Hard Mode that is). At least the Wyvern Lords. Her defenses are REALLY poo poo and you need to baby her a ton for not that great results. Certainly worth it for the staff rank if you're not using any of the healers but Yodel is arguably better.

you're correct, but she's still amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=namC8_aGCC8

EDIT: That video is of an upcoming chapter.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 22, 2015

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Well to be fair all the prepromotes, even the outright terrible ones like Isadora, are going to be a lot better in 0% runs! And in a vacuum Niime's pretty solid indeed as long as you do, in fact, make sure she can't ever be targeted with physical attacks.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
What is a 0% run anyways? I like fire emblem but have never heard that term before.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
All growths are set to 0%

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

Well to be fair all the prepromotes, even the outright terrible ones like Isadora, are going to be a lot better in 0% runs! And in a vacuum Niime's pretty solid indeed as long as you do, in fact, make sure she can't ever be targeted with physical attacks.

No specifically the only unit that could one shot her on FE6 HM was the Dracolords who have Max Strength and have Silver lances I believe. So rather, "So long as you take out this incredibly strong unit that will kill most units anyway, Niime is pretty unkillable so long as she has an Angelic robe and Nosferatu."

In a game where Nos is buyable on the same map you get a Silver Card and no one else needs an Angelic Robe? Niime is pretty unstoppable. And even if she wasn't, she's got utility for days.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Endorph posted:

still she's decent

Sure, it's just that a character would have to be utterly amazing if they expect me to replace someone I've grown attached to over like 20 maps at this point.

I mean I'm pretty sure I'd technically be better off if I replaced Saul with Niime but I've dragged his rear end with me since like map 5 and I'm not giving up now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Like I argued in Melth's thread, Niime comes pre-assembled with 21 magic and A staves so while your other staffers could reach that, she's assured to be able to warp someone fifteen panels and physic that far.

It's not insignificant given I've seen 3 FE6 LPs where Ellen, Saul, and Clarine steadfastly refused to be good.

I did acknowledge that she can be used as a staffbot. But it still isn't fun to use a character who is unlikely to get better at anything ever.

Onmi posted:

EDIT: also vilk do you have a Skype or a Steam I could contact you on?

No.

You can email thisisvilkacis at gmail if it's too spicy for Something Awful.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 20: Ilia's Salvation or, A Castle Staffed By Assholes

It's still snowing, but we're out of the fog, at least for now. Let's get cracking on cracking heads before it returns.

once served as headquarters of the pegasus knight mercenaries as well. However, with Jerrot's absence, Bern saw its chance and attacked the castle, forcing the mercenaries and pegasus knights into submission.

High Chancellor Roartz was put in charge.

Roartz hurriedly contacts the various Ilian mercenary groups for aid. Unfortunately for him, however, their replies are not promising...

Aww, poor little Roartz, all alone and undefended and stuff. Let's make sure he doesn't suffer long.

Actually never mind that, I'm okay with him suffering.

Naturally, he's the fancy looking sprite on the throne, just under the C.

Actually, sire... we've requested aid from Ilia's knights, but all but those directly under Sir Murdock seem reluctant to help.

"Something about how this Roy character keeps slaughtering them by the boatload and they don't want to depopulate their entire country."

Curses! Things couldn't possibly get any worse...

:cawg:

Ah, but we did capture Jerrot's wife. What is the word on Jerrot's troop? Have they responded?

No, sire... They are traveling mercenary knights, so we do not know their location.

Blast it...

Ever since Sigune's defeat, Ilia's militia has been hesitant to attack the Eturian Army.

As well they should: :smug:

The great High Chancellor Roartz will not die in this miserable wasteland!

Spoiler: wrong :unsmigghh:

Speaking of hostages, we have a bunch.

Both generic,

...and not so generic.

I couldn't. You'll freeze...

I can handle it. I'm used to these temperatures. This is nothing compared to flying through a blizzard.

...Thank you. Cough... cough...

...I don't know. But we must stay hopeful. The enemy may retreat, or perhaps Jerrot might return. This isn't the end.

...Where is Lord Jerrot now?

His last letter said he planned to join the Lycian Army, but after that... Well, he may be closer than we realize.

I hope you're right.

I don't think the game will do anything if you don't deploy Jerrot here, that sounds like effort. But I'm bringing him because it's his drat castle, he might as well make himself useful.

And then our party arrives, same as always.

Yes, we must. Once we take this castle, it will be our new base before we enter Bern.

...I see.

Princess... May I ask why your father tried to murder King Zephiel?

...Zephiel and I have different mothers. In actuality, I am his half sister.

I heard that Zephiel's mother was an Eturian moblewoman.

That's correct. They were arranged to be wed for political reasons. However, our father was already in love with another woman. That was my mother.

The marriage between the king and Zephiel's mother was forced. Our father didn't love Zephiel's mother and always resented their son.

Was that the cause of all the troubles that happened?

No... I remember Zephiel working hard, vying for our father's affection. He was a brilliant scholar and a prodigy in combat. He grew to become a fine heir to Bern's throne.

Understood. I only need a moment!
Princess Guinivere, I am sorry, but I...

No, I understand. Go. Please be careful.

Pfft. Careful, us? Clearly you don't know Roy's Boys.

(we will actually be quite careful)

Anyway, customary overview map. Notably: The two enemies in the inaccessible areas are both manning ballistae, and so is the lower of the two on the far right. The leftmost one has an elysian whip we could steal, but I've no one left to use it on and have stopped caring. The other enemies are outfitted with a variety of rare and/or effective weapons like longbows, horseslayers, and so on, but for the most part they'll be using them on entirely the wrong people for that to matter. There are several long-distance spells and staves as well, just to make things even more fun.

The guy to the left of Roartz in particular is a pain; he has a berserk staff.

The former High Chancellor of Eturia.

Roartz himself is nothing special, just another spear-wielding general. He has a red gem we can steal, as does at least one of the mooks, but again, caring.

Then there are the green units. All the generics have 10 hp and no stats; they'll die if someone looks at them funny. And then...

A retired squad leader of the Ilian pegasus knights. Jerrot's wife.

He sure as hell didn't marry her for her stats, or her growths (HP 50, Str 20, Skl 35, Spd 30, Lck 45, Def 10, Res 10) for that matter. To no one's surprise, she is recruitable while the generics are not.

Anyway.

I used up my fourth warp charge last map, so...

Time to use the hammerninny! Happily, it works even on staves. And with that...

Candygram! And once the archer is dead, he's dropping Dorothy on the long ballista.

Ehhhhhh.

There are two paths into the castle; Shrub and Shrub-Dad take the left.

Bartre gets a pretty good level axing a guy.

Shanna has the silver card, so she'll be taking a look at the stores.

Goddammit Fir.

Goddammit sleep-staffing rear end in a top hat.

:supaburn:

Oh and of course there are Physic staves.

If only I had some kind of AoE attacks...

Well, this is pretty good.

Get up!

He is certainly doing well despite being benched for the last several maps.

:iia:

That's one sleep staff gone.

Bartre can dodge these guys in his sleep. It's kinda sad.

:derp: That wasn't supposed to happen! Attack my dudes!

...Well, Juno can survive one hit from this guy, so it shouldn't be too bad.

For a given definition of "too bad" I guess.

UP.

Here, have a nice squishy flying unit to pick on.

WELP. I think that was . Excellent job using those hostages as, you know, hostages, people!

I will end you.

New plan.

yes thank you very much saul I am sure to find that useful

Sleep staff dealt with.

I was going to drop Dorothy on that ballista but I guess killing everything normally works too.

It is my punishment for restarting, I guess.

Let's see if Bartre does any better...

...I can't say no to strength, but I'd rather have the speed.

The ballisticians somehow think the Delphi shield-wielding Zeiss is a more tempting target than his squishier sister.

Fir still can't dodge horseslayers.

Chad is still the biggest sleep magnet on the planet.

That's another long-range annoyance dealt with.

Yes, you really needed that crit.

Up!

And no NPC-killing shenanigans out of you this time.

Bartre doesn't like the idea of having his blood sucked so he just crits this motherfucker at 12% like it ain't no thang.

And on the next turn, he just murders this bishop, and that's another long-range attacker down.

Fir breaks her killing edge getting rid of the last enemy in this corner. The NPCs are safe, for now.

And then Zeiss lifts Bartre out of the 'Zerk Zone. He's standing just at edge of the druid's range.

Somehow we haven't killed everything here yet.

Let's get to that.

Jerrot will help take back what's his!

Sadly not so much anything else.

Fliers can circle around the whole building on the right side. Unfortunately for this guy, they can also equip javelins.

And suddenly a support! A-support, even!

Fiii-

Ah, Fir. You are unharmed...

Father! Enough is enough! I'm quite fine on my own! I don't need you to protect me!

...I'm sorry. I was wrong...

Forgive me, my daughter... I just wanted to make up for lost time.

Lost... time?

Yes... When you were still young, your mother and I were always training. I regret now that I didn't give you the attention you needed. You never knew the warmth and protection a parent can give...

You've grown into such a strong and confident young woman. You did that all on your own. I just wanted to help you in any way I could...

Father... You were always kind and loving. Whenever I was down, you held me in your strong arms and comforted me...

Father... I've always loved you.

Fir... Oh, my daughter!

F-Father! This isn't the place to break down and cry!

Aw, I think I got some dust in my eye here, too.

:lol: archers.

That's two stats Schwarth has capped.

Chad opens the door on the far right, and it's about time to get started on wearing down the Zerkerstaff.

...except I put Shanna right here and he doesn't do anything. Maybe he doesn't move?

This is close enough to get hit even by a stationary druid. It is also close enough to get hit by the western ballista.

Bartre eats a skill book while he waits.

Oh poo poo, it was a killer ballista. Maybe I should use some kind of bait that's a little less likely to instantly loving die if it actually hits...

But at least the druid also goes for her.

This should be safer.

And once the druid hits...

...we can just undo it and carry Saul out of ballista range. I have a lot more restores than this guy does berserks.

Meanwhile, just out of staff range, we start looting. The rest of this room has a Wyrmslayer, Nosferatu, and a Sleep staff.

Apparently I've filled up my inventory... Well, I still have a bunch of low-level weapons with single digit uses left, no big.

Three berserk uses!

Might as well let this guy waste his arrows, too. Two more now.

Zeiss also caps strength...

...after javelining this knight through a door.

And a couple of thieves spawn in.

Well, sure, open the doors for me, I don't mind.

Then, axe dudes.

It seems unlikely this will kill him, so I'll take a pot shot at the boss.

All is lost if I fall!

No one does any falling.

Roy is maybe not the best person to kill generals...

More dudes!

Wolt crits when Roartz attacks him, but misses his second shot. Roartz is at 8 HP. Of course, he'll be nearly back to full once I actually want to kill him thanks to throne regen... but hey, it's experience points.

One more, then you can both die.

More?!

That's far enough.

Killy time! Also goddammit stupid NPCs just stay in that room where it's safe

Flux off.

More!

Guess we'll have to kill them so they don't start molesting NPCs.

Fir's killing edge is still broken, so she does this instead. It worked!

Hmmmm...

See how you like it!

...drat it Saul

Meanwhile, Zeiss kidnaps small children.

Also: Axereaver, Speedwings, and another Wo Dao to make Fir extra ridiculous.

Roy can't do much against Roartz, but this guy really had it coming so...

Numbers! And then Wolt carries him out of Roartz's spear range.

Ugh.

Our berserked buddy tries his best. He doesn't do very well, but the important thing is he tried.

While he does that, Jerrot finally speaks to his wife.

Jerrot!

Are you all right? You're not hurt? If any of them laid a finger on you, I'll-

Oh, Jerrot, I'm not a child. I used to be a captain, you know.

I know, but...

I'm fine. They didn't do anything.

Good...

Why are you in the Eturian Army? I thought you were with Lycia.

Well, it's a long story... What it comes down to is that this is the Eturian Army only in name. It's actually made up primarily of soldiers from the Lycian Army.

Oh... Interesting.

I'm sorry I wasn't here when you needed me the most...

There is no use for regret at this point.

But you were forced to fight...

Oh? I thought you liked my combat uniform.

I do! But...

Then what's the problem? You'll be seeing a lot more of it from now on...

What?! Do you mean...

I do. I will fight alongside you.

No! I can't accept that. You retired years ago. Leave the fighting to us...

I may have retired, but I still had to take up arms to defend the castle. Jerrot, this world isn't safe anymore.

Well...

I will fight. I want to bring peace back to this land.

And after that maybe a little too personal look into Jerrot's married life, Juno joins us and doesn't get any better in the process, so when she says "fight" she actually means "warm the bench next to our other awful pegasus person Tate".

For now though, we have a use for her as she can fill her empty inventory with some crap from Chad's overfilled one so he can pick up more treasure without me having to throw away that 3-use hand axe because I might really need it!

More dudes.

Who are you and what have you done with Shanna?!

0 hit? Okay let's just have Fir handle the rest.

...That's Fir, all right.

Roy and Wolt will be killing all these guys without a scratch off screen.

And all the civvies run off north.

But as for the real reason I brought Jerrot...

This wasn't it, but it's okay. Not a single point of magic since promotion, though!

Jerrot is... not very good. I'm sorry if this comes as a shock to anyone. But he gets by with a little help from his friends.

W-wait... Serve me! It is not too late... I shall... absolve you of your crimes... Guh...!

And how do we celebrate?

Why, in true Jeigan fashion.

There was nothing else worthy of note.

Many of Bern's troops have been spotted in the ruins outside Edessa!

Ruins?

Reports say the ruins are home to a lance that was used in the Scouring.

It is most probably a legendary weapon.

Then we must hurry to the ruins!

And so we shall! But not before...

...these two make a re-appearance.

Yes...?

Are you the one who saved us?

No, that was me, check your goddamn useless NPC eyes.

Er, well, I...

Thank you! It's only thanks to you that we're alive and have our freedom. Please accept this token of our gratitude.

Thank you again!

I'll give this to Roy.

It was an angelic robe. Okay I guess, but no one really needs it at this stage. Maybe I'll put it on Bartre so he doesn't fall too far behind Fir...

And that was it! Next time, sidequest.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Huh, I didn't know that Sniper could go after the hostages.

Roy really needs to put on some armor and get that defense into double digits. Though he's not too far behind I suppose.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It always struck me as odd that, in the GBA games at least (the only ones I've played) they imprison mounted units with their mounts.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It always struck me as odd that, in the GBA games at least (the only ones I've played) they imprison mounted units with their mounts.
In Thracia 776 there's a part where you get stuck in prison - and true to form, none of the mounted units in that whole section have their horses. This applies to all the indoor levels in FE5, but it's particularly notable there.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Dismounting was only really a thing in the SNES things. It's a gameplay/plot segregation thing, basically, just ignore it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Endorph posted:

Dismounting was only really a thing in the SNES things. It's a gameplay/plot segregation thing, basically, just ignore it.

Oh I know, just making an observation.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Slaan posted:

What is a 0% run anyways? I like fire emblem but have never heard that term before.

All growth rates are set to 0%, so characters never improve by leveling up. They're stuck with their bases, promotion bonuses, and stat boosters. Basically it's the theoretically worst possible scenario, all levels being empty, and seeing if that's even possible.

IIRC 6-10 have all been beaten under those restrictions. Dunno about the rest.

theshim posted:

In Thracia 776 there's a part where you get stuck in prison - and true to form, none of the mounted units in that whole section have their horses. This applies to all the indoor levels in FE5, but it's particularly notable there.

Mostly because your main frontliners there are a free knight, pegasus knight, and axe knight. And Leaf I guess.

It is 3 chapters until they get their horsies.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Mostly because your main frontliners there are a free knight, pegasus knight, and axe knight. And Leaf I guess.

It is 3 chapters until they get their horsies.
At which point they are fatigued! :morning:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Huh, I didn't know that Sniper could go after the hostages.

And now you know and can feel extra justified in killing them next time.

quote:

Roy really needs to put on some armor and get that defense into double digits. Though he's not too far behind I suppose.

Preposterous, def is for people who get hit.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I dunno, Juno's pegasus looks pretty shifty, I wouldn't have felt comfortable just leaving it outside.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 20x: The Blizzard Spear or, Fall of the Wall

So, sidequest time, and this time we're looking for the S-rank spear, from what we've heard so far. It's kind of disappointing to get it so late - we've been carting around Durandal since before anyone could even use it, but now we must be getting close to the end, so there's not a whole lot left to use it on. I suppose they had to balance out how goddamn awesome some of the spear wielding classes are, though (cough wyverns cough) but... well, regardless, let's see what lies in wait.

Roy turns his troops toward the ancient ruins on the outskirts of the town. A legendary weapon is said to be hidden within...

We knew that already, thankfully they don't waste too many words on it.

This looks like bullshit.

I was considering replacing him with an actual tick except, you know, that would have been really gross and I don't think anyone would be happier if I did.

Don't panic. The path through the ruins is blocked off. They're not getting in here so easily.

But the enemy has had so many victories against Ilia's troops! Even many of our own men have fallen to them. I don't see how we can expect victory...!

This? I like a lot. Far too often in these kinds of games you get enemies going like "You may have bested high-ranking commanders A through W, but I, commander X, will surely emerge victorious! Because reasons!" and it's far too rare to hear them acknowledge that oh poo poo, it's the protagonist, we're hosed.

We don't need a victory. General Murdock said that we simply must hold our ground. We will defend until the enemy gives up and leaves.

And that could be a sound strategy, we don't exactly have time to lay a siege and wait for them to run out of food if we want to stop King Douche from laying waste to the rest of the continent, but fortunately we won't have to.

And then Roy arrives.

Yes. I believe that Maltet, the Blizzard Spear, lies in these ruins.

The Blizzard Spear...

Barigan the Holy Knight used it during the Scouring.

Barigan? He's a hero to all knights. I studied him a great deal. He was honorable in everything he did.
...This building seems to have walls everywhere. Is there a way inside?

Bern's forces most likely blocked the pathways to cover their tracks.

Then they must have been in a rush... Maybe the walls are weak in certain areas.

That is quite possible.

All right. Let's do what we can.

I could so make a Metal Gear crack here but I think I've made a lot of them over the years so I'll refrain.

So let's just look at the map. As you can see, we start in three groups, two of them small and wimpy.

This guy has a sleep staff, the guy next to him Berserk.

And they can reach this far.

The groups in the corners aren't safe either.

I didn't mind Windham, the berserk butthead boss in 16x, too much, but this just doesn't look fun at all. In order to make any kind of progress, each group has to have a restore staff user, or keep well out of berserk staff range until it's spent. If we had a good staff user (and I suppose I'll have to eat my words because Niime would fill that role quite well) there are some shenanigans we could pull to counter it, but Saul sucks too much to reach... without getting in berserk/sleep range first.

Granted, I could just wrap Fae into the middle room and the problem would probably just solve itself... but I used the Faebomb just two maps ago, gotta think of something else this time.

For the time being, Saul eats the energy ring (not that it will help...) and Dorothy arrows the axe guy.

Not many numbers, but the right numbers.

The first enemies aren't terribly threatening.

You know what, gently caress it, let's just rush in, what's the worst that could happen?

gently caress you, walls!

Roy slaughtered an axe dude hidden under Shanna's health bar. Well, I guess it had to happen eventually.

These promoted guys have a lot of health! Fortunately, Fir has 50% crit with an iron sword at this point, so :byewhore:

Eeeehhhh.

Sleep staff druid targets Jerrot, because apparently the fact that he has more than a 0% chance to avoid it makes him irresistible to sleep staff scumbags.

I think I would have preferred if the hits had been reversed, but it's okay, Noah is slower than the other two on this side, they can outrun him.

With Saul past the wall, he can finally reach someone on the inside. Have a taste of your own medicine!

Meanwhile, some cleaning up in the rooms below. This is... pretty drat good for a single-stat level, actually. Bartre is kinda slow.

That's the last guy, so we get started on the walls next.

A berserked Noah is dangerous, but can't do much when everyone can outrun him.

...and then a swordmaster with a brave blade, 55% hit and 13% crit manages to land a crit and a normal attack on Roy...

...and that...

...was that.

I'm more surprised than anything else, really. The chance of that happening was... not terribly big.

Let's try this again. This time, Bartre eats some speedwings.

And Roy kills a warrior, again.

Maybe I should get you killed more often, Roy. It seems to be agreeing with you.

Bartre is also pushing 50% crit rates.

...and this time he gets the +HP level. Dang it, Bartre...

Then he gets berserked at 100%.

Run awaaay!

So he attacks the enemy instead.

I'm going to be a bit more careful this time.

No charging in until this guy breaks his Zerkerstaff.

Two charges.

With no enemies left, Bartre charges the blue team, but gets cured before he reaches them.

So they use the sleep staff on him instead.

With the status staves out of charges, it's time to start moving.

And Saul tries again.

With Noah being a little more sane, he has time for another support with Jerrot.

Is this about the letter? Have you changed your mind?

Yes, I suppose even I have someone I want to send a letter to when I die. It's you.

Me?

"You do know I'm married, right?"

Treck and I... And Grant and Sieks... We've all made it this far thanks to you. I want to express my gratitude to you when I die.

...I see.

Speaking of those two... I wonder where they are now.

I have no idea. But I instructed them well. They won't die so easily.

I heard that some people we used to work with were hired by Bern...

Yes... But such is the life of a mercenary. We give our blood and get money in return.

...Commander Jerrot, what do you think of that?

Of what?

Nobles from other nations say that Ilia sells death for a living. They say that we're vultures. That we prey on blood and decaying flesh.

It doesn't bother me. We both know that Ilia couldn't survive without war. We give our own blood to survive.

You're right.

And that was a support rank.

...I still wonder what Ilia did back when things were peaceful. I mean there's always going to be bandits and such, but probably not enough to employ a whole country... Oh well.

There's a brave weapon on the right side too, but it's a lot less dangerous.

Strength, Fir! Strength!

Meanwhile, our berserked swordmaster (who has a killing edge just to be extra assholeish - I guess that's what they planned for you to do, actually) starts killing the squishy casters.

My squishy casters do some killing, too. Speed, Hugh! Speed!

Fae is about the only person who can one-shot the walls. Fortunately they only have 40 HP instead of the 100 that proper walls have.

Calculating this so that Roy won't be in range to be two-shotted by another lucky attack from that swordmaster.

I want Bartre's axe rank up, so he gets to kill a few more dudes. It... didn't work out very well.

Mages just melt if Fae looks at them funny.

It's kinda hilarious.

And you get the gently caress out.

Strength capping in 5... 4...

And Noah finally gains magic again! The left side is basically clear now.

Saul's cutting it a little close, but he's in no real risk... I say as I stare at that 3% crit chance.

One druid down!

The promoted enemies could actually hurt Fae, a little... if they could hit her. Which they can't.

Fae is ridiculous.

Effective weapons? Schwarth is not impressed.

Shanna isn't either. She probably should be, though.

And the final druid goes down. You've done well, swordie.

Fae doesn't even breathe fire when she knocks down walls, she just kinda steps on them.

And that warrior in the shot above? He's gone now.

A lot of things are gone now.

Almost done now.

Bartre eats that robe, because well, who else?

Finally, we're in!

The swordmaster tries to crit Bartre to make up for what he's done... but Bartre crits harder.

Wall? They all fall.

So everyone piles on poor Tick. I'm just going to ignore the enemies in the remaining closed-off areas; they don't have anything I really need.

How did you get through those walls?

You tell me, you've been sitting here watching me the whole time!

Only the throne avoid bonus allows Tick to survive a single round.

But you will know Bern's true power soon...

He doesn't last long, though.

Goddammit Bartre.

And that's a wrap.

...This is Barigan's lance Maltet... It's beautiful, as if it were made of ice.

It's also another Song of Roland reference.

In fact, so's Barigan, who's basically described as a pretty cool guy, oh, aside from the fact that he's a filthy heathen who needs to be put down. But that's all from the lovely second half, so we won't go into that here.

Good. Let them go.

Let them go? We must attack.

No, don't. We've already won. They don't want to fight us.

But...

They all have lives and families. There's no need to take that away from them.

Roy has space in his inventory, so it just goes there without fanfare. We'll get a better look next chapter.

So may I ask...?

...The rest of the story.

You said King Zephiel was an outstanding pupil in everything he did... It sounds like he would have been an ideal heir to the throne.

Yes, I have no doubt.

But still your father never looked kindly at him.

In truth... our father began to despise Zephiel precisely because of his talent.

Why... would a father resent his own son's talent...?

Our father was a man of unextraordinary skill and intellect. Zephiel's outstanding talents made our father colder towards him.

He was envious...?

He went as far as to tell Zephiel that he would never inherit Bern. He said that instead, the throne would go to my future husband.

His own father told him that?! What a heartless man!

But Zephiel held strong. He always said he never cared about inheriting the throne. But the people of Bern knew of Zephiel's genius and wanted him king. Pressured by the public, our father lost his patience at last...

That's when he decided to kill Zephiel...?

Our father gave Zephiel a goblet full of a poisoned drink at a banquet. That was the first and last time Zephiel ever accepted a drink from our father.
After returning to his room, Zephiel began to fall dreadfully ill. For ten days and nights, Zephiel lingered between life and death. But Murdock, Zephiel's teacher and loyal general, saved his life.

...The old king made no further attempts on his life?

No. At least, not to completion... I have heard that he schemed to have Murdock and Zephiel's mother killed. He was scheming to murder everyone connected to Zephiel.
Upon learning of our father's intentions, Zephiel feigned death. At his funeral service, our father leaned over the coffin to view Zephiel's body. It was at that moment that Zephiel sprung from the coffin and... sword in hand...

I was but a child then, so naturally I could not understand what was going on. All I knew at the time is that our father died, and Zephiel never smiled again. Before then, he was stern at times, but always a kind and loving brother. But after everything that happened...

Princess...

I knew that someday I may have to act against him.

I... see...

Roy, please... You must stop him. Stop him from destroying Bern and from destroying Elibe.

Such a feat will likely require my blade. Can you still ask such a thing of me?

...I trust your judgment. Do what you must.

You have my word, Princess Guinivere. I swear by the Fire Emblem that I will stop King Zephiel!

"A man of unextraordinary skill and intellect" is a pretty sweet insult, I'll have to remember it.

Anyway, Zeph's backstory is pretty metal, but he's still King Douche and we'll have to stab him a whole lot. Still, I suspect there's going to be some stuff to take care of before we can do that...

That chapter name sounds promising! Next, I guess I'll find out if it's as cool as it looks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You had a perfect opportunity with that boss and you blew it

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

If only I had known what the heck that is, we could have avoided this tragedy.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

vilkacis posted:

...I still wonder what Ilia did back when things were peaceful. I mean there's always going to be bandits and such, but probably not enough to employ a whole country... Oh well.

The Swiss operated that way for a long time and there was plenty of work to be had in Europe... It was mostly a way to get actual money rather than a survival subsistence thing.

Still one of my favourite monuments:

It's a memorial in Switzerland to the Swiss mercenaries who defended the French king Louis XVI down to nearly the last man during the French revolution. Their commander was guillotined.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Your Bartre sure is Bartre.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Manatee Cannon posted:

You had a perfect opportunity with that boss and you blew it

Would have been better if it had been the other Tick, from the episode that had the Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight.

OminousEdge
Apr 4, 2013
I like to think that Ilia as a whole is not a wasteful country. In both times of war when they get the money and supplies they need, and in times of peace when they have much less work to get those things, they never over indulge. They know the value of only using what is necessary and never more. They only eat what they need to to sustain themselves from day to day, they only use medicine when it is absolutely needed, ect.

Could probably have worded that better, but its late and I am too tired to think of a better way to put it, and am sure the point I am trying to make is clear enough.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

vilkacis posted:

If only I had known what the heck that is, we could have avoided this tragedy.

I've never been as disappointed in a person as much as I am with you right now.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Munin posted:

The Swiss operated that way for a long time and there was plenty of work to be had in Europe... It was mostly a way to get actual money rather than a survival subsistence thing.

The game makes it seems as if Ilia absolutely must have mercenary work to survive, though.

Really cool monument, regardless!

Insurrectionist posted:

Your Bartre sure is Bartre.

And I wouldn't Bartre him away for anything.

Testekill posted:

I've never been as disappointed in a person as much as I am with you right now.

I learned it from you, dad! I learned it from you!

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Munin posted:

Still one of my favourite monuments:

It's a memorial in Switzerland to the Swiss mercenaries who defended the French king Louis XVI down to nearly the last man during the French revolution. Their commander was guillotined.

The Swiss mercenaries (especially the Swiss pikemen) kicked rear end. There's a reason they were hired to guard the Pope.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

vilkacis posted:

Who are you and what have you done with Shanna?!
Well, not more than three lines before, you said this:

vilkacis posted:

And after that maybe a little too personal look into Jerrot's married life, Juno joins us and doesn't get any better in the process, so when she says "fight" she actually means "warm the bench next to our other awful pegasus person Tate".
... and she doesn't wanna be on the bench.

It brings up bad memories.

Of Innes shooting the bench from a bow.

Also, I'm hoping that by the final update, Roy's portrait will be nothing but a giant, magnificent beard.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Shei-kun posted:

Well, not more than three lines before, you said this:

... and she doesn't wanna be on the bench.

It brings up bad memories.

Of Innes shooting the bench from a bow.

Good point, especially considering Wolt is probably strong enough to shoot the bench with Shanna still on it at this point.

quote:

Also, I'm hoping that by the final update, Roy's portrait will be nothing but a giant, magnificent beard.

Stop reading my updates before I write them uh I mean that is one possibility I guess.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Chapter 21: The Binding Blade or, Literally All The Wyverns

Okay, so the last few maps haven't been the most exciting things in the world, but! Things are looking up. You'll see why in a bit... as soon as we're through the customary :words:.

The sun rises as the bloodiest day in the history of Elibe dawns...

poo poo's getting serious!

I finally realized that there's a store in the prep menu :downs: and sell off a couple of my valuable but useless items, since I've packed Merlinus' tent pretty full. I don't think we'll need any more promotion items at this point, do you?

We can bring 18 characters. That is a lot of characters! But there's a lot of enemies, and a lot of map awaiting us. This is a properly epic battle we have ahead of us.

There's even room for Elphin who hasn't really been getting to do much since he joined and is still level 2. With 17 other characters, it shouldn't be too hard to keep him from getting attacked, right...?

Now that's an arena worthy of a boss fight.

Good. Thank you.

Yes, sire. My men are ready.

Your squad will be the key to victory in this battle. Do you understand?

Of course, sire. I won't disappoint.

I expect not. The enemy are but insects next to the might of Bern's army.
Even so... that Lycian general has made it far.

General Roy?

Yes. Roy. I hope to be able to duel him one on one... in a fair fight.

Murdoch is so full of poo poo you won't even believe, facing us with throne advantage and literally all the wyverns.

And now over to Roy's corner.

Father Yoder! What brings you all the way from Eturia? Is something amiss?

I did some additional research after reading your letter. I reached the same conclusion. Bern has resurrected the demon dragon.

You think so, too?
...Hartmut defeated the demon dragon in the Scouring. How could Bern have brought it back to life?

Apparently after defeating it, Hartmut chose to spare its life.

What?!

Instead of killing it, he sealed it away in the mountains of Bern. The sword he used to seal it was...

The Binding Blade?

Oh, you know of it?

I learned a little bit of it in my studies...

The demon dragon's seal may have been broken, but with the Binding Blade, we may be able to seal it away once more or kill it for good.

Do you know where the demon dragon might be?

Yes, I believe so. We know dragons change into human form, and the demon dragon is most likely in such a form as well. I have a suspect already. The "Dark Priestess" that is always at King Zephiel's side.

The Dark Priestess...

There is no solid evidence that she is the demon dragon, but she appeared shortly before the other dragons did.

The dragons seal away their power in gems called dragonstones. Remaining in their dragon form uses too much energy otherwise. The same is likely true for the demon dragon as well.

We must see her in person and find the truth.

Allow me to go with you.

You will fight alongside us? By all means!

I have also been instructed to give you these. They are the legendary weapons that the church located.

Legendary weapons?! These will be invaluable!

If the demon dragon has been released, then this is the greatest crisis mankind has faced since the Scouring.

We must rise like the Eight Legends of yore to save humanity once again.

Can you feel the epic? Can you taste the epic?!

This map is freakin' huge, and it will have a freakin' huge number of enemies on it too. These are just the tip of the iceberg - there will be more. A lot more.

On to less epic things, however.

A bishop of the St. Elimine Church who supports Roy's cause.

Such as Yoder. He's comparable to Niime, except he's a little less punchy and a little more tanky and his magic is faith-type instead of science-type. He comes with A-rank light magic and S-rank staves,

...the bow Murgleis (it's Murglas in my translation, and also a sword, but let's not sweat the small stuff)...

...and this kinda ridiculously great staff.

He can also speak with Saul.

Saul, it is good to see you well. And thank you. You and Dorothy have done a great service to the church.

...There is no greater pleasure than to know I have been of use.

Oh? I've never known you to be so serious...

Father Yoder, despite all appearances, I am a priest. The common good is my greatest concern.

I am sorry I doubted you. From this point on, we fight together.

Saul can't really complain about his image, it's all his own fault.

Then I was going to have Dorothy borrow that neat new toy he brought and noticed that she could talk to him as well.

Very much so. It is good to see you, Father Yoder.

You are always so cheery and full of energy. I'm sure Saint Elimine adores that about you.

Do you think so...?

Just being around you cleanses the heart and makes one feel pure. I'm sure that's true even for Saul. You have much to be proud of.

Thank you, Father Yoder!

Now personally, I'd have to say there are other things about Dorothy that impress me more, but I'll let them have their fun.

There are a couple of stores right next to where we begin, and I'm sad to say they don't have much of interest, just some normal high-tier weapons and some effective ones I mostly don't care about. What I could really have done with is another store with killer lances in it, because, believe it or not, I'm actually starting to run out. We're still doing fine as far as swords and bows are concerned, but the lances I have distributed are about all there's left. I could do with a couple of axes as well, since I'm actually using an axe fighter now, but, oh well.

I've thought of a brilliant plan. You two go this way. The rest of us go the other way.

With a little help from the support class.

Nothing particularly noteworthy on the first turn.

Let's clear out the annoying ones first.

And done.

This guy's not so bad though,

...and drops a really good level for Bartre, too!

Team Most and Least Disappointing, sadly, can't make it to the enemy this round.

Why did you attack Roy? That was really stupid.

...You can't let that level go, can you? Well, fine. You're still pretty good.

Fae melts the mage up top,

...and Shanna breaks out Maltet. By the way, did I mention that all the legendary weapons are super effective against dragons and dragon-related enemies? Because all the legendary weapons are super effective against dragons and dragon-related enemies. Even Shanna can't gently caress this up.

A downright ludicrous number of enemies spawn in the next turn.

It doesn't affect Shanna much, this time.

Hee hee hee...

The legendary weapons aren't the only ones that are effective against lizards. Roy brought a Wyrmslayer on this map after a look at the opposition. It will serve him well.

There are quite a lot of things that are effective against wyverns, come to think of it...

Once a prepromote, always a prepromote. :rolldice:

There are no soldiers here. Take this. Just leave us in peace!

Schwarth gets a knight crest from the village. And here I just said I wouldn't be needing any more of those for the rest of the game...

This is a lot of enemies. A lot of a lot of enemies.

They seriously spawn in like 20 dudes this one round, and that isn't even close to being the end of it!

Holy poo poo that's a lot of wyverns.

But it means Bartre gets that axe S-rank I was looking for, so now he can use Armads!

Also, I'm taking this as an excuse to break out the legendary bow because we have to use it at some point. All that's really different is the white... whatever it is playing before the attack; with very specific exceptions the legendary weapons don't get any unique graphics.

A lot of wyverns.

We'll get started on thinning their ranks.

Chad caps speed! He won't cap anything else, but speed is good and his strength is respectable. Chad is still rad.

Seriously?

Seriously, seriously?

So many wyverns, so many experience points, so few mag gains.

I'll miss those speed gains, but as long as you keep getting other stats, I won't be too depressed.

Hmm.

Levels. Levels. So many levels.

Shanna does take a beating in the process, but she has an unopened elixir, so she'll be fine.

Magic!

Tragic!

Classic! ...Well fine, that's stretching it a bit. Good to see Ogier get something done though. The fact that he has only gained one level between promotion and now is not impressive at all.

Okay, this is getting pretty old.

You can run out of wyverns any time you feel like it.

Even if they do drop nice experience points.

Hey, it's speed, I'll take it!

You know what Shanna if you had just one more lousy point of strength you wouldn't have to waste two uses of my awesome legendary spear on

wh

What the poo poo just happened?

Hugh is in a bit of trouble because he just kills everything that runs up to him and makes room for more things to run up to him, but he dodges surprisingly well for a nerd.

Can you imagine how awful Cecilia would be if I had let her keep her vanilla stats...?

Olé!

Speed.

Fae is seriously in no danger whatsoever. I could have sent her to clear the right side of the map all by herself.

I'd be upset if this level happened to someone who actually needs stats...

WHAT!

We strike now! Leave none alive! Don't even leave them time to scream in fear!

How the gently caress did you get there?! I was expecting you from the edge of the map!

poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo

But it turns out Elphin has moves. I am very impressed!

In less heart-stopping news, the reinforcements from the south also catch up - and Saul gets a kill!

...well okay that probably comes as something of a shock as well.

Way to waste it, Saul.

A wyvern rider of Bern. Schwarth's lover and Zeiss's mentor.

Once it's finally our turn again, let's see what Gale can do. It's... honestly not a lot, for an 18th level promoted unit. Schwarth and Zeiss both outperform him significantly at lower levels.

And of course he is still a wyvern lord.

Zeiss... Schwarth...

You are...

...already EXP.

(Strength capping in 3... 2...)

For those of you wondering why Percy had to die, he was actually an artificial being created to hold back Marcus' true power. With Percy gone, there is nothing stopping him.

Anyway, we're getting close to the boss (well, the wyverns are) so let's have a look. The two knights are entirely pointless as they are knights; both have horseslayers. The sage has Bolting and is the biggest annoyance of the lot.

The head of Bern's Wyvern Generals. Led the attack on Ilia.

Unlike Gale, Murdock himself is actually quite impressive! Capped strength, nearly capped defence, a boatload of hit points, and of course he has a really good 1-2 range weapon because what else would he have. I mean, he's still beatable, but it wouldn't be much of a game otherwise.

Then there are the manaketes.

Sorry, makte that manakete.

For whatever reason, though, Bolting guy doesn't Bolting.

...thank you Cecilia.

Not a lot of enemies left now...

Fae will cap luck. And since it's clear skies, Shanna picks her up and flies off towards a specific tile in the mountains because I am a cheating rear end in a top hat who cheats and know there's a secret shop there.

Let's take care of the generics so Roy can have his honourable one on one duel with the boss.

oh goddammit

Wolt has actually been taking damage on this map, I forget the last time that happened.

Now you Bolting?!

Well okay given you're weighed down by Fae I can kind of understand wanting more speed but you can get other stats too drat it.

Shanna continues to disappoint... the enemies, by not dying.

She's surrounded because she wasn't wielding Maltet when they showed up and thus couldn't one-shot them all.

The knights mistake Zeiss for a horse and pay dearly for it.

Seriously, stop it with the wyverns!

And the HP only levels!

Still hanging in there! ...I knew I should have brought the rescue staff...

Still, some of the lizards break off and attack people who can kill them.

And Fir kills a dragon while she waits.

153 points of damage.

153 wyverns.

Saul levels up again, fucks it up again.

Shanna is still under a lot of pressure.

And Roy finally caps his level. It's not a very good one, but it has beard, so we shouldn't complain.

Zeiss is cutting it a little close here... he has one HP left.

Conclusion: Shanna is a lazy gently caress who only works hard when she absolutely has to.

Next map, I'm going to throw her at all the archers until that strength caps.

And with that, the wyverns are gone!

But you are here. It seems we have no choice. Come!

Schwarth gets to chipping down Murdock because gently caress his honourable one on one duel after all these loving wyverns.

I congratulate you. But can you defeat me?

She even gets two different lines out of him (because he attacks her back on his turn).

Meanwhile, Fae...

...visits the...

:stare:

:catstare:

:swoon:

I'll take this and this and that and these and all of these, this, this, this and this, to go, please.

One more level for Schwarth from chipping away.

I have been waiting to match blades with you!

And finally, Roy gets to step in.

That rapier has lasted a long rear end time.

Zephiel... My king... I cannot protect you... any further... Forgive me...!

And that's the map! It was great (aside from the minor heart attack I had when five loving wyverns popped out of loving nowhere and attacked my loving bard... well actually only two of them attacked him, but you know what I mean.) It really gives a sense of having come far and grown strong. Roy leads an absolutely terrifying group of superhumans. Many of them are probably a match for the legendary heroes at this point. Mistakes can still cost you, but this is the kind of fight you look back at and go Huh. We kick rear end.

Is the Binding Blade down that way?

I cannot say... But a captive tells us that there are two weapons in this shrine.

Wait, is that right? Does it mean that there is another legendary weapon?

Possibly... Perhaps we should ask those in our army who hail from Bern.

Yes, I'll see if they know anything.

But that...

...will have to wait until next time. I'll see you then!

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 25, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I love this map. What you don't know is the reinforcements are triggered by zones, so the faster you try to expand, the more you spawn in. But it really gives you the sense that Bern is literally throwing their entire armed forces at your group and you're just smashing them into the dirt. My goodness they even throw low level Dracoknights at you. I love it.

So fun cut facts, Gale was intended to be recruitable, but they sort of just decided not to. Not sure why. But he even has an affinity, unique growths and everything. Hell even his last speech to Zeiss was "I'm going to abandon the Army, I just need to hear from Miledy what's going on."

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I loving lost it when I noticed Murdock's portrait at the end.

Also, what the gently caress did you do was Percival doing to Marcus?

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

vilkacis posted:

Team Most and Least Disappointing, sadly, can't make it to the enemy this round.
It really is amazing what a difference Fae having an unlimited Dragonstone makes. She normally barely gets any fighting time beyond maybe a chapter or two because conserving her Dragonstone is so important. Here she can just go right to the front line because gently caress it, UNLIMITED DRAGON POWER!:black101:

Also Gale is not actually recruitable, so no yelling at you this time. Technically you make him not attack you by talking to him with Zeiss and Miledy Schwartz, but :effort: and it doesn't change anything in the story so whatever.

Oh and Yodel/Jodel/Yoder/Yoda actually has growth rates even though he's level 20, so if you wanted to you could have some fun leveling him up. I mean you do have some fun new Purge tomes for him (I think).

As you noticed, FE6's second secret shop is amazing.:v:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 26, 2015

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Quite an impressive beard!

Looking forward to seeing what you bought next time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Insurrectionist posted:

Quite an impressive beard!

Looking forward to seeing what you bought next time around.
A shitton of Boots, several Speedwings, and a handful of Energy Rings. Maybe one or two of the other stat boosters.

That's my guess.

• Locked thread