Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

You can only open one room, so if you're going in totally blind, you'll have to get lucky

Also other ways of fighting the spiderlady include burning the corpses she climbs out of, when she climbs out of them, but timing is tight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
Wow, not only did you handle that section with infinitely more grace than me, but you didn't open the monster closet in the middle of being swarmed like I did. I am jealous.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
For the next few days check your store on choice for this game. It should be ~40% off.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Major_JF posted:

For the next few days check your store on choice for this game. It should be ~40% off.

I'm debating getting this for either the PS4 or PC... can't decide which.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'm glad to hear this LP is inspiring other people to try it out, otherwise this thread would be pretty dead!

13: Oh Look, Twins/Polsy

So I don't think I've mentioned it but I've mostly been spending my upgrades as the thread recommends. Niggurath is all like YO DAWG YOU NEED MATCHES and I got matches and you know so far it's worked out. There was another dude who said CROSSBOWS so I've done that as well, but I haven't recorded the next chapter yet. What do you want to see upgraded? Personally I'm leaning towards weapon damage since the game seems to be getting more combat heavy but for all I know that's going to change shortly.

What upgrades do you want me to get?

Also, I've been using the "eye" icon which is normally disabled on survival difficulty. This gives you an idea of if you've been spotted or if you're still in stealth. If you have it disabled invisible assholes will come as MUCH MORE of a surprise.

Should I disable the eye? who am i kidding i already know the answer

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
No, please don't disable the eye. Fumble-bumbling is not much fun for me to watch and I'd rather this go as smoothly as possible for you, especially against those invisibastards.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Don't disable the eye, it's too useful
Also consider upgrading handgun's critical rate.

By the way, I can dump weapon damage numbers. Unless you consider that too much of a help/spoiler/whatever

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I got this game because of your thread too, I forgot that it existed. I'm a decent way ahead of you and loving it (apart from the crashes on PC). I even like the black borders.

Upgrade whatever you feel like (maybe the crit chance?)and yes, disable the eye, you'll be fine without it, you don't need to crouch everywhere without it. I think you can upgrade tactically like in RE4 but I might be misremembering.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Upgrade shotgun damage and handgun crit

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
It looks like this game uses an adaptive loot system, where enemies and breakable boxes are more likely to drop stuff when you're not stocked up. It's also apparent that higher upgrade levels offer much larger benefits than the early tiers.

If I'm right, you should invest heavily in stock. Pick a favorite weapon or two (handgun and shotgun? Maybe grenades, if you'd remember to use them.) and max it out. Stock upgrades seem relatively cheap, and it seems the most trouble you're having in combat is handling joystick aiming. Investing in damage or weapon accuracy won't alleviate that, but having leeway to simply fire more rounds will.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
The only problem with playing without the eye at this point is that you'll need some time to get used to it. I personally think it's more fun and tense without it (which is how I'm doing my playthrough). But then again, I play with the letterboxes on so what do I know?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
So I'd been wondering how they were getting away with a 40% discount on Evil Within when right out of the gate they knocked it down 66% during the first Steam sale after it released. I guess it was because today's the special Evil Within discount day on the Quakecon sale, so it's 66% off again, at least on Steam, hopefully the other places it's on sale as well. If you want it, today's the day.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I'm not sure if you've noticed but the final level of an upgrade is usually a massive jump or something super useful (like how you're saving up to get the fire enhancement to the harpoon bolt), so I'd say try to max out the cheaper and super useful stuff like your item storage upgrades or your stamina because it's the cheapest and most beneficial (and there will be plenty of times when you'll probably be getting better with shots and having to leave behind ammo cause you didn't upgrade your handgun or shotgun bullet capacity).

Also it's good to know I wasn't the only one that tried to fight those giants in the tiniest hallway possible; I was kicking myself so hard that I didn't even fight them in the large, open arena they give you and instead just ripped into them with a billion bullets. And you totally wrecked that dog's face; I had such a hard time with that dog because I was trying to conserve my bolts....and well it's a lot quicker and sneakier than you might have realized. I'd say if you ever get the chance, you should go back and let it live for a while to see what it does.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

RealSovietBear posted:

The only problem with playing without the eye at this point is that you'll need some time to get used to it. I personally think it's more fun and tense without it (which is how I'm doing my playthrough). But then again, I play with the letterboxes on so what do I know?

I mean, if anything, this is the perfect time to start playing without it. It's kind of like getting used to cold water in a pool, might as well just jump in and suffer!

Niggurath posted:

Also it's good to know I wasn't the only one that tried to fight those giants in the tiniest hallway possible; I was kicking myself so hard that I didn't even fight them in the large, open arena they give you and instead just ripped into them with a billion bullets. And you totally wrecked that dog's face; I had such a hard time with that dog because I was trying to conserve my bolts....and well it's a lot quicker and sneakier than you might have realized. I'd say if you ever get the chance, you should go back and let it live for a while to see what it does.

Up until now (through chapter 6) I've watched RealSovietBear's Hitbox streams of the game, and I've seen what the dog does when you don't wreck it right off the bat. What a dick! He hides in the bushes and plays matador with you and you have to catch him while he's out. The biggest concern I have at the moment is I might need these bolts for the next chapter but poo poo man they're already used! I'm going to start recording tomorrow but y'know I can work with what I've got I'm sure. The game doesn't seem to be super focused on resource management so that you're screwed if you use your big items.

I hope.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Yeah, please don't disable the eye. Having you get killed a lot would just be dull. The fun of a game like this is the howling lunacy of it all, not the gun-blasting :)

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

IronSaber posted:

I'm debating getting this for either the PS4 or PC... can't decide which.

Get it today. It is 66% off.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, man, the invisible assholes in this game are SUCH assholes. They make very little noise and have so few telltale signs they're there until it's too late. Don't disable the eye!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Nah, the game definitely doesn't punish using your bolts wisely. There will be plenty of traps and various pickups available in order to replenish your bolts, as well as outright bolt pickups. Using the freeze bolts was a perfect idea for that boss, too. You should probably invest a few upgrades into them to increase the freeze duration, it looks like it really helps on bosses.

Also, I laughed really hard in the puzzle room with the bodybags and weights. You stared directly at a little statue slowly coming toward you, attached to a bodybag, and didn't swing at it. I guess that's another locker you won't be opening! :cheeky:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I kind of want a game like Evil Within that is a throwback to the old "explore a large area and become familiar with it as you backtrack," like the remake of Resident Evil 1. Keep the disturbing imagery, but get the player nice and familiar with the area they're going through... then as things get more distorted as you progress, the familiar areas become more warped and hazardous. Letting something familiar become dangerous and wrong is the basis of horror.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Speedball posted:

Letting something familiar become dangerous and wrong is the basis of horror.

Yeah, it's one of the things that made Nanashi No Game so effective.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I thought Evil Within did a fantastic job of making a safe place feel dangerous when Scruffy ended up back at the hospital when the lights went out. Even if it were just a single enemy, it would entirely strip you of that feeling of pure relief when you wind up back in the hospital, because now there could be an enemy hiding someplace. :tinfoil:

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

death .cab for qt posted:

Also, I laughed really hard in the puzzle room with the bodybags and weights. You stared directly at a little statue slowly coming toward you, attached to a bodybag, and didn't swing at it. I guess that's another locker you won't be opening! :cheeky:

SON OF A BITCH I JUST SAW IT

Totally didn't notice it as I was going through the level.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think it's technically possible to get through the game without any locker keys but they sure do make things a lot easier.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Speedball posted:

I think it's technically possible to get through the game without any locker keys but they sure do make things a lot easier.
Yeah, I think the most painful thing I've seen is someone do a play through of the game on the ultra hardest difficulty without getting any upgrades (to where those lockers didn't even matter). So it's possible but not really recommended, especially since you might miss out on quite a few of green upgrade goo.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Please don't get rid of the eye. The way it wiggles is super creepy and I love it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Speedball posted:

I believe there's one somewhere that quite literally falls into your lap to the point where you almost have to pick it up and literally cannot miss seeing it, but I cannot remember where it is or whether it is ahead of us or behind us. :v:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I decided to pick this up on sale due to the LP. It looks like a lot of fun!

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Major_JF posted:

Get it today. It is 66% off.

Done. Bought it and installing.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

What I like a lot in your commentary is your exasperated laughing when things get crazy. It's like :stonklol: in sound form.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

What I like a lot in your commentary is your exasperated laughing when things get crazy. It's like :stonklol: in sound form.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

So I played TEW for about an hour, and I am really diggin' it. It really is scratching that Resident Evil itch I've had.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The first two chapters of TEW are really really different from the rest. You start off unable to do anything but hide, move up to be able to kill enemies with guile and stealth, finally be able to meet them on your own terms by chapter three, and so on.

Still, it never really feels like a power fantasy no matter how strong you get. To me, at least.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Speedball posted:

The first two chapters of TEW are really really different from the rest. You start off unable to do anything but hide, move up to be able to kill enemies with guile and stealth, finally be able to meet them on your own terms by chapter three, and so on.

Still, it never really feels like a power fantasy no matter how strong you get. To me, at least.

I think it's because while you can shoot/stab/light on fire all of the not-zombies, you can't really do anything about whatever it is that's forcing you from one nightmare to the next; if it's even some force or just Sebastian losing his mind. Not even the Hospital "Safe Zone" is safe from the crazies and you can see it from Scruffy always being on edge even when there's no one to shoot or he's going into the Hospital safe zone to save/level up.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Ahah you can set guys on fire with matches who are underwater. I reiterate it is a stupid mechanic, they should have used holy water or magic gems or something to make more sense. Unless the bodies are made of... magnesium?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I suspect they made the choice to leave it in because it looks creepy and this way they don't need to worry about water completely screwing over the usually careful player. Matches also go better with a detective than magic gems or holy water.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What a cute doggy.

And I can understand Seb being pissed at Joseph re. the glasses, but hey, Joe could have - 9 eyesight.

Like me.

:(

Samovar fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 26, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Samovar posted:

What a cute doggy.

And I can understand Seb being pissed at Joseph re. the glasses, but hey, Joe could have - 9 eyesight.

Like me.

:(

They also complete his 'prim, proper, younger agent' look, along with the nice and well tended to outfit and the stylish black gloves.

Joseph is awesome. Please do not die, Joseph.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Oh man. If you enjoy hearing me :stonklol: then good news! The next chapter is for you! Due to popular (and surprising!) decision I'll be leaving the all-seeing eye on. It will only sort of help me!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If anything, it will make you more paranoid.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's good to upgrade your matches stock because you can never have enough matches. Shoot a guy in the foot to down him, toss a match on him, done. If he lights up an enemy walking over him in the process, so much the better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Yeah, in the fight against the twins you could have lit that pile of bodies on fire and lure them to it which would not only deal more damage to them, but also save up on ammo.

• Locked thread