Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

BossRighteous posted:

I'll help you make a quick Fusion 2.5 game if you have an idea and can make some assets. There is a free PC version now so I can get you kickstarted maybe.

Forget it. I denounce Fusion 2.5

I just spent an entire afternoon struggling to figure out why my Trig results were wrong, submitted a bug report, and discovered it uses degrees for Trig functions instead of radians. The kicker is this has happened to me 2-3 times and I always forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
So many more assets to create. :suicide: Well, this contest taught me a very valuable lesson about scope. I'm running on caffeine and adderall at this point. :sludgepal: The first thing I'm going to do after the contest is get more than 4 hours of sleep at one time.

On the bright side, I'm turning out the best animations I've ever done in my life. I've lost 10 pounds in these three weeks and I'm just a lady of average height and build; consequently my cheekbones are starting to look fuckin' great. Thank you, SA Game Jam X!

My team is going to win and it will be awesome. Mark my words.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Try not to die for videogames please.

I spent all of last week at work, now I'm off for the last week but I'm too tired to work on my game today.

Here comes the cutting-corners train. Choo-ch.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

My game is pretty much working and not crashing. Going to see how much polish I can get in in the last few days, whoo!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tann posted:

My game is pretty much working and not crashing. Going to see how much polish I can get in in the last few days, whoo!

I will be furiously polishing Tann's game! I will polish it until it squeaks!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Game Submitted

drat, those "no take backs" warnings made that stressful.

Luckily, in the end, I remembered that I don't care because I made a fun game (and will hopefully be submitting a second one next week) and that's all that matters.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I think I broke the site making my team. :ohdear:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So just so I know what's what...what do you mean by "available for play on the public page?" I was figuring on just throwing it on Newgrounds or something but does it need to be on the dev page too? I figure a .zip would need to be submitted but I just want to know what all builds I have to slap together where I should put them.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Little bit of screenshake happening! There's a little bit more intensity to it than the gif captures, but it's just a tiny amount.

I also added some basic gamepad support (D-pad only I think?) and fixed some collision issues, a nice couple days! Still have hopefully 5 more levels (21 total I'm aiming for, but they're quite small) as well as... all of the audio. And testing. I have literally had no one play this game besides myself at this point, so if it breaks I hope it's at least in the most spectacular manner possible.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

So just so I know what's what...what do you mean by "available for play on the public page?" I was figuring on just throwing it on Newgrounds or something but does it need to be on the dev page too? I figure a .zip would need to be submitted but I just want to know what all builds I have to slap together where I should put them.

Your game description on the site should have a link to your game in it. It should also look pretty! Put some game tips on there, screenshots, etc.

Xibanya posted:

On the bright side, I'm turning out the best animations I've ever done in my life. I've lost 10 pounds in these three weeks and I'm just a lady of average height and build; consequently my cheekbones are starting to look fuckin' great. Thank you, SA Game Jam

Please tell me your aren't actually taking Adderall and getting 4 hours of sleep a night. Stop doing serious damage to your body for a game jam.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
Just do like I do: go to sleep when you get tired enough that you can't figure out what time it will be 8 hours from the current time. Then sleep for 6. :sweatdrop:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

JonTerp posted:

Your game description on the site should have a link to your game in it. It should also look pretty! Put some game tips on there, screenshots, etc.

Just to clarify, you are saying that we should provide a link on our page to a site where we are hosting the game, or are you saying that the page will have a link to the version we up load to the site?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

JonTerp posted:

Please tell me your aren't actually taking Adderall and getting 4 hours of sleep a night.

I take Adderall therapeutically, so the only difference is that I take my standard dose in the evening as well. I'm not going to college campuses and buying pills from the kids walking around, although that seems like an interesting idea for a game. :v:

Anyhow, on the weekends my teammate and fiance Ziggy Starfucker makes me sleep and even eat things sometimes, so I can't actually go full EA sprint. I think though that it will be worth it; I think you all are going to be very very impressed by what we've managed to do in a month's time.

E: to clarify, if you're familiar with stim treatment for ADHD, you'll know that the standard prescribed dose is usually measured and timed such that you crash not long after work. Well I need after work to focus on game, so I had to take my dose later in the day so I wouldn't crash at 7PM. Consequently I don't feel sleepy at midnight and end up staying up until 3AM. I'm not actually getting high or whatever it sounds like.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 26, 2015

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Anyone else having trouble accessing the awful jams site? Summer classes this year got in the way, along with hanging out with friends. I'm bad at time management and I should be ashamed of myself; I've got 6 days to cobble something together.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Xibanya posted:

I take Adderall therapeutically, so the only difference is that I take my standard dose in the evening as well. I'm not going to college campuses and buying pills from the kids walking around, although that seems like an interesting idea for a game. :v:

Anyhow, on the weekends my teammate and fiance Ziggy Starfucker makes me sleep and even eat things sometimes, so I can't actually go full EA sprint. I think though that it will be worth it; I think you all are going to be very very impressed by what we've managed to do in a month's time.

E: to clarify, if you're familiar with stim treatment for ADHD, you'll know that the standard prescribed dose is usually measured and timed such that you crash not long after work. Well I need after work to focus on game, so I had to take my dose later in the day so I wouldn't crash at 7PM. Consequently I don't feel sleepy at midnight and end up staying up until 3AM. I'm not actually getting high or whatever it sounds like.

yeah or you could have some caffeine at 2 or 3 pm like a rational person, instead of dicking around with your amphetamine prescription

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Just to clarify, you are saying that we should provide a link on our page to a site where we are hosting the game, or are you saying that the page will have a link to the version we up load to the site?

The version you upload to the site is for judges only. So you'll need to host your games however you'd like for the public to play them and link to it on your game page.

SharpenedSpoonv2
Aug 28, 2008

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I think I broke the site making my team. :ohdear:

Hah! Yup. I think you did. What image did you try to upload for your team? Some image someone uploaded made graphicsmagick poo poo itself. The site's back up, but it'd be nice to try to replicate the problem locally and fix it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

JonTerp posted:

The version you upload to the site is for judges only. So you'll need to host your games however you'd like for the public to play them and link to it on your game page.

Last year a bunch of us used itch.io for hosting, it seems pretty decent for stuff like this.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah or you could have some caffeine at 2 or 3 pm like a rational person, instead of dicking around with your amphetamine prescription

Let's be honest here, amphetamines beat out caffeine any day. But that's not the point, don't die from taking too much adderal, or publicly announce you're somewhat abusing your script.

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008
Getting real close with our game; basic combat works, most of the interface is complete, enemy spawning and waves code is complete. It's all special-case-downhill from here, with different enemy behaviors, a tutorial, and as much polish as we can cram into the interface so the game isn't confusing as hell to play.

For now, have a bug (had the 'destroy the projectile' code throwing an exception, resulting in it exploding every frame forever)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

As I've got to move house, I've decided to submit and forget my worries. Done! Wow that was fun. What a great month.

Feel free to play NoChute here:

http://alf-pogs.itch.io/nochute

Also seconding itch.io as hosting for the game, they made it very simple.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

critical omission: dev time. :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

alf_pogs posted:

As I've got to move house, I've decided to submit and forget my worries. Done! Wow that was fun. What a great month.

Feel free to play NoChute here:

http://alf-pogs.itch.io/nochute

Also seconding itch.io as hosting for the game, they made it very simple.

I'm loving this. Watching the meteors kill the birds is very satisfying.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

GlyphGryph posted:

Game Submitted

drat, those "no take backs" warnings made that stressful.

Luckily, in the end, I remembered that I don't care because I made a fun game (and will hopefully be submitting a second one next week) and that's all that matters.

GlyphGryph seems to have made Can You Read My Mind? 2015 Deluxe Edition

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
It's buggy, imbalanced, untested and unplayed, but hell it's going to keep me off the wall of shame. If this has given me anything, its much respect for people that have made real, actual baseball games. Baseball without a ball is hard. The numbers are off, slanted a bit more towards the defense than I'd like (even for baseball), but the general idea is there: how do you play baseball without a ball? With a cat umpire, that's how.

Sandlot Base-no-ball, version "Where did July go?"

If anyone would like to bang their heads against this, knock yourself out. I've left all of my console debug messages in with some numbers, if anyone wants to peek (github issues).

I'm missing one feature from the planned design, but I might go without it to save the time. I've got to get the fly ball mechanics wrapped up, then spend the rest of the week tweaking math and stats, and adding color text and more actions.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
You can now view and play submitted games here: http://www.awfuljams.com/games

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
So I'm getting some interesting results when I try to bake lighting in Unity, am I doing something wrong or is this the early sign that I might need a new GPU?

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

TheOrange posted:

So I'm getting some interesting results when I try to bake lighting in Unity, am I doing something wrong or is this the early sign that I might need a new GPU?

I really like the skeleton

Here's another death gif

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Here's another death gif

when i say that this looks like a death worthy of spelunky, i mean it in the best possible way.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

My visual novel is proceeding fairly decently.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm loving this. Watching the meteors kill the birds is very satisfying.

Late reply, but thanks! Your game is excellent. I'm diddling away at it while at work here and am stuck on the 'last man on earth' page.

Jo
Jan 24, 2005

:allears:
Soiled Meat
gently caress. I'm nowhere near finished and just lost ANOTHER weekend to social obligations. Time to cut the enemies and stick to level making.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Having trouble with my physics engine.

Seems that making my characters pose like Jojos throws off their center of gravity. Is anyone else having this problem?

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 27, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Well, just a few last minute bits to add and my game will be done. It isn't nearly as good or as polished as I'd have liked but I did abandon one project and start another beyond half way. Among the things I learned "absolutely never do that" was one of them.

However, I'd say this was a success for a lot of reasons. The game doesn't crash. It functions properly and I think I have all the bugs out and dealt with. That's a victory in and of itself. Aside from that I learned how to use Sprite Lamp, normal maps, and 2D lighting in Unity. I got some very cool effects out of it and came up with some neat little mechanical concepts I may or may not work on further in the future. I'm also learning about scope. I keep coming up with too huge ideas that I have to scale down. In this case I also had some other stuff coming up and had to move. My month of game making is also cut short because my girlfriend is going to be over a lot because she's going to be away for a few weeks starting very soon. So it's time to hand in what I have and move on to other projects.

I like the idea of a game that is very dark and everything centers around the lights. The biggest snag was that I was having trouble coming up with good ideas for that that made a game fun. This one strikes me as mediocre at best but then it's also simple and short due to time issues. I feel like there's promise to the idea but I'm also finding that this isn't really the kind of game I want to be making.

It also occurs that I learned a lot more about Unity's new GUI stuff which is very useful. Also learned more about collisions. Yay. Overall I'd chalk this up as a success given how much I expanded my knowledge of Unity.

Or alternately I'll leave this post half written but open and wrap up all that crap while I publish it. It's currently up on Newgrounds. I'll punch Submit after I see if anybody finds any new bugs. I'm pleased with the experience and feel like I could do more with this as a concept.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/661249

Things that I wanted to add but just didn't have the time was a screen between levels where you could buy upgrades based on how much stuff you grabbed along the way. I also wanted to add a light turret that pointed toward the mouse but stick with a pair of stationary turrets. I was debating adding things to blow up barriers or dark matter but left it out in the end. Everything just being an obstacle made more sense. The other thing I wanted was horizontal shovers instead of all vertical ones.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 27, 2015

ether
May 20, 2001

Another victim to the wall of shame.

Time for an obituary.

Making a game while juggling family, work and social obligations is hard. Making a game on your own is hard. Doing both is asking for trouble if there's a time limit.

Lessons learned:
- I need to plan development time on my calendar, taking time whenever it becomes available sets me up for a nice procrastination-trap.
- Being your own slavedriver is neither fun nor functional, better to work together.
- Keep it simple, getting arbitrary directional gravity to work semiconsistant took a solid week of tinkering. Working out how parts of my level work and making blueprints took another week.
- Regardless, I had a ton of fun figuring things out

The state my game is in at this moment is just too rough to release, I'm typing this from my rainy campspot and I've had no time to do a polishing pass whatsoever. Good news is that I believe it's actually a fun concept to play so I will continue on it after I come back. This will become an actual game eventually!

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Seems I'll also be on the wall of shame, an unplanned travel came in the way, I might get something released but most likely not.

I might finish it anyway for a (non-gamedev) job application but it will probably not be on time.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 27, 2015

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

JonTerp posted:

How do I submit / announce my team?
Everyone will be free to join, make a team & game page until the very last moment of the Jam (1AM CST August 1st).

Hey-o, the "JOIN JAM" button seems to be gone from the jam site... or if it's there, I certainly can't find it! Let me know how to make a page!

edit: whoops, the button doesn't appear until you register an account... heh...

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jul 27, 2015

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I had a pretty good working AI about 2 weeks ago, using a bunch of booleans for flow control in Unreal. But it got confused sometimes and executed multiple paths in the blueprint. I originally wanted a state machine sort of thing, where it switches on an enum value. And well, I just now discovered that you can create custom enums... Refactoring in progress. :suicide:

edit: Jesus Christ Unreal Editor is unstable. :argh: This has hindered a good portion of my progress this jam as well. You'd think the editor would not be prone to crashing when dragging around a blueprint node, of all things.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 27, 2015

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Protocol7 posted:

I had a pretty good working AI about 2 weeks ago, using a bunch of booleans for flow control in Unreal. But it got confused sometimes and executed multiple paths in the blueprint. I originally wanted a state machine sort of thing, where it switches on an enum value. And well, I just now discovered that you can create custom enums... Refactoring in progress. :suicide:

edit: Jesus Christ Unreal Editor is unstable. :argh: This has hindered a good portion of my progress this jam as well. You'd think the editor would not be prone to crashing when dragging around a blueprint node, of all things.

Yeah, the UE editor seems to crash on me a lot too. Save early and save often. I think at most, I have lost about 20 minutes of work were something didn't auto save correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

dupersaurus posted:

It's buggy, imbalanced, untested and unplayed, but hell it's going to keep me off the wall of shame. If this has given me anything, its much respect for people that have made real, actual baseball games. Baseball without a ball is hard. The numbers are off, slanted a bit more towards the defense than I'd like (even for baseball), but the general idea is there: how do you play baseball without a ball? With a cat umpire, that's how.

Sandlot Base-no-ball, version "Where did July go?"

If anyone would like to bang their heads against this, knock yourself out. I've left all of my console debug messages in with some numbers, if anyone wants to peek (github issues).

I'm missing one feature from the planned design, but I might go without it to save the time. I've got to get the fly ball mechanics wrapped up, then spend the rest of the week tweaking math and stats, and adding color text and more actions.

First impressions:
This is actually pretty fun! It reminds me of blood bowl.

I hope you keep going with it after the jam, get some sprites and poo poo happening.

edit: ok after a bit of testing (using your premade teams) there seems to be a bit of a balance issue. In a game against myself, the batting team is fukt. The fielder can almost always get the runner out. The one time my batter got a good hit and the fielder missed, he kept going to second base and the fielder got him.

My score is 0 runs for both teams...

I think you need to drastically reduce the fielder stats, either increase the AP costs of the actions (MIIINE is cheap and very good).

edit2: hahaha nevermind, just unlucky rolls for the first two innings(? don't know baseball)
:xcom:
Might be worth tweaking the fielder stats anyway though

edit3: found my first bug, game just got stuck, 7 ran back to home and then nothing happened (this is 2 innings for both sides in)
seems to be an issue where it isn't recognising my clicks

edit4: found my second bug, dude won't run!

Number 2 has just hit the ball, the fielder has just selected where to throw it, but number 2 isn't running and the cat hasn't called him out. Game is stuck here.

Overall, good game, but yeah you've got some bad bugs. Sorry about the huge post everyone else

Splode fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 28, 2015

• Locked thread