Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huskarl_marx
Oct 13, 2013

by zen death robot
someone post itt saying they lived through the cuban missile crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

I don't know how I didn't get stabbed in the throat multiple times during my time at USF.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

huskarl_marx posted:

someone post itt saying they lived through the cuban missile crisis

Well, my mom was 8 month pregnant with me at the time, and dad was in pilot training over 1,000 miles away from her at that moment, so that's as close as I can get.

As far as normal stuff, I routinely put myself in a room with 30-35 14-year-olds, a quarter of whom hate me, then I set things on fire and such.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
A black guy once asked me a question. Was scared shitless.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The cops almost killed me while I was tripping on shrooms.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
Almost drowned when I went swimming after losing 50 pounds and found out I never learned how to tread water, I just always naturally floated because I was fat.

haris pilton
Sep 4, 2014
Car crash

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
earthquake in a lovely building I used to work in that cracked in the middle

the building is still standing and inhabited today. they painted over the crack lol

thank god i quit that job and that building

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Goblins ate off a quarter of my face after I feel asleep under a large old tree in a forest.

Never go walking in an eastern European forest. Shits hosed up.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I gave the finger to a guy who almost ran me over and he got out of his car and yelled at me, calling me all sorts of hurtful names. I ran away into a nearby alley and he followed and idled his car waiting just outside on the corner. Fortunately I clambered over a wall and ended up in a park adjoining the alley. I like to think the guy sat in his car for a few hours before realising I wasn't there anymore.

That's my dangerous story.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

TEAYCHES posted:

i was a toddler playing outside and there was a water moccasin three feet away from me my mom grabbed me then my dad killed the snake with a hoe

im sorry he used your mom like that.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
My ex and I got mugged at ~1am in Mexico by a few thugs, one of which was wielding a machete. They snatched her purse and pushed her away then started punching me in the face and reaching into my pockets. I just put my arms in the air 'cause gently caress getting killed over my wallet and a few pesos. Lasted all of 5 seconds, they ran off, it wasn't until we got back to our hotel room that I realized I had been slashed on my back, though not severely.

I was riding passenger with my friend from Amsterdam to a party outside of Berlin which is about an 8 hour drive. I was asleep in my seat and he nodded off, slammed into the guard rail on the autobahn, did a 180 across the highway, slammed into the other one, in an old '60s Citroen DS, which crumpled like a tin can, in the middle of bumfuck East Germany about 50km away from where we were supposed to go. Neither of us sustained any injuries though I did hit my head on the window pretty hard and might have had a mild concussion but eh, we just took the train back home and amazingly he was able to get the car repaired despite it looking just utterly demolished.

In South Padre my ex and I went swimming while coming down off acid and were about 50 yards out just chilling on our boogie boards and were watching this feeding frenzy going on about another 50 yards down the coastline as the sun was setting -- birds circling and diving into the water, fish leaping in and out, when all of the sudden the flock of fish decided to move to exactly where we were. All of the sudden we're surrounded by fish jumping over us, gulls and other birds dive bombing into the water, when she yells "SHARK! GET OUT!"

So gently caress, we skedaddled on out of the water and when we get back to the beach she swears she saw a shark. I calm her down and tell her that it had to have been one of those big 3' fuckers that had been jumping over us but she was adamant. After like half an hour though we're both calm, the sunset is beautiful, and we wanted to get a better view of that frenzy 'cause seriously, it was like being in the middle of an Attenborough documentary but real life.

About 10 minutes later the fish sort of migrate towards our direction again and yep..... a shark rubbed right up against me. Dorsal to tail fin must have been at least 8 feet, and that's when I yelled to get the hell out of the water.

Still one of the most beautiful moments of my life but drat, if that shark weren't distracted by all the hoopla going on, what if he decided to take a bite out of me!?

TEAYCHES posted:

i was a toddler playing outside and there was a water moccasin three feet away from me my mom grabbed me then my dad killed the snake with a hoe

I was swimming down at near the big rock at Gus Fruh along the greenbelt, right about at the middle, had just jumped off, and a loving water moccasin started coming right at the people swimming back to shore. Holy crap I've never seen people get out of water so fast, including myself.

Jesus Christ fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 26, 2015

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
I almost got ran directly into a trucker who decided it was a great idea to just lazily pull onto a 55mph posted 3 lane highway without bothering to wait for a spot in traffic, then he nearly backed into me (not life threatening) just before he got pulled over by the cops lmao

Realistically if you live in a place without public transit most of your near death experiences have probably just been someone almost blindsiding you at sub-80mph speeds

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Jesus Christ posted:

me!?

I was swimming down at near the big rock at Gus Fruh along the greenbelt, right about at the middle, had just jumped off, and a loving water moccasin started coming right at the people swimming back to shore. Holy crap I've never seen people get out of water so fast, including myself.

A few years ago I was running on a trail with my ex and I was lost in thought until she screamed "LOOK OUT!" I looked down and there was a huge rear end water moccasin on the trail. I didn't have time to stop so I jumped and luckily cleared it.

DenizenKane
Nov 6, 2013

Please. Go on.
A guy pulled out in front of me at an intersection while I was on a motorbike and had right of way.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

one time i was gutting some jalapeños before stuffing them with cheese and poo poo then i had to pee so i went to go pee but i forgot to wash by hands BEFORE

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Got knocked off my bike by some dickhead in a Range Rover, I went flying about 10ft but was miraculously only massively bruised all over.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

i live in the south and i'm not white OR rich

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

i was in an insecure hotel for a week that got attacked by islamic rebels the day after I left. I was 24 hours away from being a hostage and probably beheaded haha whoops

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I flew in a CH-46 twice.

Way scarier than getting shot at

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

criscodisco posted:

About 16 months ago I had a heart attack and while recovering my catheter blocked and I became septic, and my liver, kidneys, heart and respiratory system shut down and I had to be revived with a defibrillator, but was comatose for nearly two months.

That's it, I guess. Nothing big or as scary as some of y'alls stories.

How old were you when you had a heart attack?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

i was in a tiny boat 10 miles offshore in florida and on the way back a wicked squall came up out of nowhere and the boat kept almost tipping over!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
barely managed to not bounce out of the back of an innertube filled pickup being driven by a redneck high on speed flying down a windy highway about 90 mph

fell off a cliff after a rattlesnake struck at me

dove out of the way from a speeding bus at the last minuet and the side view mirror still clipped the top of my hair

nearly crashed the plane i was flying when a dust devil picked me up from behind and blew me all crazy

climbed through a hole the fence at the chaco rally to get up close to the starting area and then got chased away in a huge crowd by riot police

took off from high alt airstrip over loaded and barely made it over a power line with the stall warning horn blaring

a cartel hit that killed three mexican police officers happened at a gas station just 15 minutes after i had left there.

Got lost on back PA forest reserve roads while running in the middle of winter with no cell phone reception and no people around and i was in shorts and light jacket.

a backhoe started filling in a 10' deep ditch i was in and i had to fight to get my feet free and then scramble to out the hole while the dirt was pouring in.

went rattle snake hunting several nights and picked up about 3 rattlers with my bare hands.

stopped in the middle of the night to see if a hitchhiker needed help on an empty stretch of I-10 and i got my flashlight out to see where he was and then i spotted him, running full tilt towards me, screaming.

huge pack of wild dogs ran up on my dad and i as we were cleaning several feral hogs we had shot. my dad and i fired repeatedly into the pack and screamed at them but they just kept running towards us like demons.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

SpicyMeatSandwich posted:

How old were you when you had a heart attack?

35, terrible genetics.

Kylo Ren
Jul 26, 2015

by Cowcaster
Had a cop pull a gun on me, after me and my friends broke into some old guys house.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Pudding Huxtable posted:

A black guy once asked me a question. Was scared shitless.

Does it give you a tiny stiuff weiner to say these racist things?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
heads up.. io doubt anyone is gonna read the posts that are more than 1 sentence long. to be honest, im scrolling past most of those too.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

HD DAD posted:

I don't know how I didn't get stabbed in the throat multiple times during my time at USF.

I watched a lady get hit by a car in downtown last week. The guy then backed up and slowly drove away like nbd. Tampa is a violent place. Congrats on your survival.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

I.N.R.I posted:

heads up.. io doubt anyone is gonna read the posts that are more than 1 sentence long. to be honest, im scrolling past most of those too.

Heads up
Your own rear end

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
I have celiac and when I was in jail I had nothing to eat but stuff with gluten everyday. It was awesome. That's prob not the most danger I've been in but it is my most interesting story.

Edit: After a while if you eat wheat when you're not supposed to you start making GBS threads tons of blood and oil and your hair falls out and all sorts of other good stuff.

Mixodorian fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 26, 2015

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I got lost in St Petersburg once and was drunkenly wandering around the suburbs at 5 in the morning without knowing a word of Russian.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Zombie Boat posted:

I watched a lady get hit by a car in downtown last week. The guy then backed up and slowly drove away like nbd. Tampa is a violent place. Congrats on your survival.

Only south Tampa sucks. The rich part of Tampa is fine

Kylo Ren
Jul 26, 2015

by Cowcaster

vyst posted:

Only south Tampa sucks. The rich part of Tampa is fine

I live in Brandon now, but I hang out in Tampa a lot on Nebraska Ave. It's a rough place, with rough people, but it has a certain charm to it. Everyone is out to get over on everyone else, but you may find a diamond in the rough if you look hard enough.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I.N.R.I posted:

Got it.

Pasty Doughboy
Dec 23, 2006
With red way hair. One day it will all be gone, I’ll go blind from the glare
I went for 60 days without health insurance while transitioning between jobs in the USA. Living life on the edge yo. :911:

SUBLIME!
Mar 7, 2009

my quiver is full~
once some water went down the wrong pipe and i burped and the burp got stuck in my throat and i started choking and was in danger of dying the most retarded way possible

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
One time I was at a church potluck and a cookie plate said: "take one."

I took three. :smaug:

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Three weeks ago my pulse jumped to 250 bpm for no apparent reason. I went to the hospital, and they told me I have something called WPW syndrome and that I have an extra nerve pathway between my left atrium and left ventricle, which can cause what's called a circus rhythm, where the electrical signal in your heart spins around your heart instead of terminating where appropriate, causing severe tachycardia. It'll be ablated away in like 4 weeks though so no big deal. Also I nearly choked to death on a hotdog during the previews before Forrest Gump.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
A seasonal flood on the border of Guatemala

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
When I was in the 6th grade my friend and I captured a baby cottonmouth snake and kept it in a pretzel jar, which did not feel dangerous at the time but in retrospect may have been a very retarded thing to do

• Locked thread