Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

DoctorWhat posted:

Hello jerry

that's not my name!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

This game like all warping out of the level or that just is at the beginning?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rocketlex posted:

That's Miyamoto.

Apparently he had a grudge against that game because it came out during the development of Yoshi's Island and everyone but him fell in love with the art style. For the entirety of Yoshi's Island's development, he had to fight off people wanting to change the art-style to pre-rendered CG like DKC.

He's since admitted the game isn't as bad as he used to say it was.

I think the DKC games are hideous and Yoshi's Island has aged wonderfully so Miyamoto was right.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Guy in the practice room is trying to play Megaman with a Power Glove. It's ... not going well.

They're also running TGM back here pretty much nonstop.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

that's not my name!!!!

DKC2 and 3 are both set up like that, all the levels in the first couple of worlds have warps that let you skip them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I went to a pair of charity events and missed hours of the stream. Was the Sonic Boom run hilarious as it was in my dreams?

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Random Stranger posted:

I went to a pair of charity events and missed hours of the stream. Was the Sonic Boom run hilarious as it was in my dreams?
The game had a real bad day. I'm pretty sure most of the programming works by accident.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Speedrunner who has apparently never heard of Ocarina of Time.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

The game had a real bad day. I'm pretty sure most of the programming works by accident.

Did that do that thing that was all over the internet where you can pause-cancel to the ending in like 5 minutes

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This had made me realize we're in for the long haul of people donating to say RIP Iwata.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This had made me realize we're in for the long haul of people donating to say RIP Iwata.

Event isn't even for the PCF but that's not gonna stop them!

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

UIApplication posted:

Did that do that thing that was all over the internet where you can pause-cancel to the ending in like 5 minutes

No, but there was plenty of that glitch. Turns out pause-canceling can break more than just Knuckles' jump-attack.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Those monsters.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

UIApplication posted:

A little bit of that, but it's slow so they found ways to break the game faster. Probably the best run so far.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The best thing about this marathon is i just learned Stranglehold is in it

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rorus Raz posted:

Those monsters.

At a certain point it stops being a sentiment and devolves to either self-parody or, arguably worse, false compassion to get your message read by someone over the internet

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Rorus Raz posted:

One of their games this years was Pac-Man 2, so it COULD piss off certain humorless companies.

I think pulling your sponsorship of a charity event over something so petty would be an infinitely worse PR move than having someone call your 20 year old game terrible.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

At a certain point it stops being a sentiment and devolves to either self-parody or, arguably worse, false compassion to get your message read by someone over the internet

or maybe people are just sad that a cool guy died

maybe

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rocketlex posted:

I think pulling your sponsorship of a charity event over something so petty would be an infinitely worse PR move than having someone call your 20 year old game terrible.

That and using Silly lets you put in some games and categories that aren't bad but also wouldn't fit that well during the rest of the marathon. Like Roundabout, for instance!

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

elentar posted:

Guy in the practice room is trying to play Megaman with a Power Glove. It's ... not going well.

They're also running TGM back here pretty much nonstop.

Hey now, it wasn't me it was the glove, it's terrible

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This dude is so prepared to avoid marathon problems. Alternate moves for every situation.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I played through this game two or three times and I don't remember any of these levels.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

argondamn posted:

I played through this game two or three times and I don't remember any of these levels.

Since its any percent, you miss a whole world as well

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I definitely don't remember how loving devious the level design was in this game, this is like dkc master quest

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

argondamn posted:

I rented DKC3 a few times back in the day and could not get into it. The run seems really interesting and this guy clearly knows his poo poo, though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

The best thing about this marathon is i just learned Stranglehold is in it

I bought this game on launch day for sixty dollars.

:negative:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Why does Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel have to be at nearly 4 in the morning on a day I work? Sigh. :(

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

It's not so much publicly pulling out of a charity but just quietly declining to sponsor in the first place.

I'm not saying it's rational or anything, but companies do weird poo poo at times.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I actually really liked that DKC3 run.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ed: wrong thread

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Welp, looking at sponsors..and..

:vince:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Dias posted:

That and using Silly lets you put in some games and categories that aren't bad but also wouldn't fit that well during the rest of the marathon. Like Roundabout, for instance!

I wouldn't call Space Station Silicon Valley a bad game, either. It's rough around the edges (read: buggy as hell), but it's very creative and perfectly playable.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Rocketlex posted:

I wouldn't call Space Station Silicon Valley a bad game, either. It's rough around the edges (read: buggy as hell), but it's very creative and perfectly playable.

And its made by DMA design, so its a proto GTA in a sense.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

theultimo posted:

If this doesn't already double as headphones, it should.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

theultimo posted:

And its made by DMA design, so its a proto GTA in a sense.

I really wish Rockstar would make a new Space Station Silicon Valley.

As a kid, I followed the development of that game through numerous preview pieces in Nintendo Power, and the finished version was actually way cut down from what it was supposed to be. Animals were supposed to be able to transform and animal-specific AI was going to play a bigger role.

Craziest of all, there were originally plans to let you take parts from animal robots and attach them to other animal robots. Because of this, the animations in SSSV are actually procedurally-generated. It doesn't matter because the animals' shapes are static, but it's a holdover from the original design.

The final game was a proto-GTA. The original was basically going to be a proto-Spore.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Rorus Raz posted:

One of their games this years was Pac-Man 2, so it COULD piss off certain humorless companies.

Pac Man 2 is such a great bad game, it's like a window on one video game character's unending private hell.

theultimo posted:

Hey now, it wasn't me it was the glove, it's terrible

Haha, should have clarified. Figured in this case though people would know it really is the equipment.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

theultimo posted:

Capcoms gonna cancel that donation incentive

Be on the lookout for Inafunes "beck bucket" kickstarter later in the year, split into three parts with an attached OVA crowd funding campaign to explain the rich lore of how it came to be

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
That was a pretty good run. Informative commentary and a PB to boot.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rocketlex posted:

I really wish Rockstar would make a new Space Station Silicon Valley.

As a kid, I followed the development of that game through numerous preview pieces in Nintendo Power, and the finished version was actually way cut down from what it was supposed to be. Animals were supposed to be able to transform and animal-specific AI was going to play a bigger role.

Craziest of all, there were originally plans to let you take parts from animal robots and attach them to other animal robots. Because of this, the animations in SSSV are actually procedurally-generated. It doesn't matter because the animals' shapes are static, but it's a holdover from the original design.

The final game was a proto-GTA. The original was basically going to be a proto-Spore.

I remember rading this as a kid too. There was some quote about how they were adding stuff beyond the initial pc design because the power of the n64 was so amazing or something. Yeah ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
they keep mispronouncing medecins sans frontieres

• Locked thread