Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

monkey posted:

i mean what the poo poo

This was the only objectively bad part of the movie, and probably only because Scott was forced to cut the film much more aggressively than he anticiapted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Pitdragon posted:

Prometheus was pretty stupid btw, I don't understand the point in stressing that the characters are all highly educated professionals if they are just going to all act like idiots without any kind of training

I liked the scottish doctor lady, who's entire performance was reading off what was already displayed on a giant computer screen, and then giving her expert medical diagnosis of "She's totally doped."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I liked the scottish doctor lady, who's entire performance was reading off what was already displayed on a giant computer screen, and then giving her expert medical diagnosis of "She's totally doped."

She also said "What a smell!!!" I think

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Zombie Boat posted:

The people that like Prometheus think Lost is riveting story telling lol. News flash Lindelhoff sucks.

I like Prometheus alright, it gets better upon rewatch, but the first viewing was really mixed for me.

Never liked Lost at all. JJ Abrams either.

Pitdragon posted:

They should have kept the original CGI psuedo-alien monster that this guy turns into, not sure why they decided to turn him into a hills have eyes mutant

Prometheus was pretty stupid btw, I don't understand the point in stressing that the characters are all highly educated professionals if they are just going to all act like idiots without any kind of training

In my experience, highly educated people are often useless for practical tasks. We rent to a PhD couple who collects troll dolls and can't change a washer on the sink faucet.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 27, 2015

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

second-hand smegma posted:

In my experience, highly educated people are often useless for practical tasks. We rent to a PhD couple who collects troll dolls and can't change a washer on the sink faucet.

Whether that's true or not is beside the point, the problem was that the experts didn't come across as being geniuses in their field or even particularly talented or intelligent. I meant the fuckin biologist, upon discovering a never before seen, completely unknown alien creature, decides hes gonna try to pet it??? The biologist, the guy who should know better than anyone why this is a bad idea. Repeat ad nauseum

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Pitdragon posted:

Whether that's true or not is beside the point, the problem was that the experts didn't come across as being geniuses in their field or even particularly talented or intelligent. I meant the fuckin biologist, upon discovering a never before seen, completely unknown alien creature, decides hes gonna try to pet it??? The biologist, the guy who should know better than anyone why this is a bad idea. Repeat ad nauseum

umm what the gently caress other reaction to a cool alien snake is there than "pet it"?? this sounds like a personal problem of yours and not a problem with the film

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Honestly the marketing was way, way better than the movie.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Zombie Boat posted:

Oh hey my insides just got ripped out by a machine, yeah I'm good to walk around.

I think they did a really good job with this, as it shows her shooting painkillers like 5 times and you have to remember, "they're future morphine!". Also it shows her doubling over and wincing in pain multiple times when she runs or has to do something strenuous. Also if you're being chased by a 7 foot tall albino alien body-builder or a vagina-monster, the odds are the adrenaline is going to be pumping and helping the meds keep you from passing out from pain.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

This was the only objectively bad part of the movie, and probably only because Scott was forced to cut the film much more aggressively than he anticiapted.

He didn't have to cut anything, he chose to cut because late in production he decided he wanted a sequel but didn't have enough material to justify it without cutting stuff from Prometheus. At the time both he and Lindelof kept answering people's questions by saying "well we had originally had this happen, but decided to leave it as a mystery to answer in the sequel". Which is surely a great way to make a movie and not something you have to cognitive dissonance yourself into liking by saying it was deliberately bad as a pastiche of genuinely bad movies. It had good art direction, a good budget and actors though, so it is tempting to think they knew what they were doing and that it wasn't the result of a talented team marching to the beat of confused leadership with too much power and respect to be questioned.

Pitdragon
Jan 20, 2004
Just another lurker

Gatekeeper posted:

umm what the gently caress other reaction to a cool alien snake is there than "pet it"?? this sounds like a personal problem of yours and not a problem with the film

well prior to watching prometheus i would have agreed with you but now im not so sure if its the best course of action
EDIT: i should clarify that i am not an expert biologist though

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Moola posted:

is Black Bones a CinD poster??

he vigorously defended the honor of the old current releases idiots (famous for complaining that Disney's Planes was made by people with no idea what a female plane would look like) in the frontpage discussion forum, so I would assume yes

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Blistex posted:

I think they did a really good job with this, as it shows her shooting painkillers like 5 times and you have to remember, "they're future morphine!". Also it shows her doubling over and wincing in pain multiple times when she runs or has to do something strenuous. Also if you're being chased by a 7 foot tall albino alien body-builder or a vagina-monster, the odds are the adrenaline is going to be pumping and helping the meds keep you from passing out from pain.

Maybe. The one time I ripped out my uterus I was out for a week. I only had krokodil but no help at all.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

monkey posted:

i mean what the poo poo

what the hell was this anyways

he comes back to life as some kind of evil super strength zombie (???)

this movie is dumb

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Happy Bear Suit posted:

this movie is dumb

That was a big problem in the movie. The original Alien had a really clear life cycle. In Prometheus it seemed like just random weird poo poo happening.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
No you see it's just a weapon that mutates blah blah we'll figure it out in post.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

moose face posted:

why didn't they just get an old man to play the old man instead of a younger man to out on old man make-up and pretend to be an old man? The movie was ok and I avoided the discussion thread about it like the plague because that thread was terrible but seriously I don't understand the reason for this. It looks like poo poo

That movie was terrible but it's pretty funny to me that Ridley Scott is going to make a Blade Runner sequel as a gently caress you to all of the Alien fans who rejected Prometheus. Our punishment for not just accepting that trash is that Blade Runner gets ruined now. This is what happens when you piss off an old as gently caress director.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
well I'm back from my re-watch, and yup, it's still beautiful and hilarious and all-round great film. :cthulhu:

The real horror is not all the gross body stuff - in the future, ancient-alien goofs are legit scientists, and they are right

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

he vigorously defended the honor of the old current releases idiots (famous for complaining that Disney's Planes was made by people with no idea what a female plane would look like) in the frontpage discussion forum, so I would assume yes

I recall saying that current releases was a good feature with good reviews on the whole, and this upset a handful of goons. All I remember about the complaints was that they were too pedestrian but yet also too intellectual (lol) in their criticisms while reviewing genres (like animated kid's movies) that didn't deserve serious (or any??) review.

I still hold that position, if any sadbrain cares.

I like CD, and the front page and the rest of the forums in general, I'll post wherever though :shrug:

Happy Bear Suit posted:

this movie is dumb

The black goo grants wishes - evil wishes. Fifield desired a release for his rage; he was mad about being lied to and abandoned. Just like Holloway desired to be like a god, Shaw wanted a baby, Millburn a big old cock in his mouth, etc

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

That movie was terrible but it's pretty funny to me that Ridley Scott is going to make a Blade Runner sequel as a gently caress you to all of the Alien fans who rejected Prometheus. Our punishment for not just accepting that trash is that Blade Runner gets ruined now. This is what happens when you piss off an old as gently caress director.

Blade Runner was just a pale reflection of the Dick story, so who cares if it gets ruined.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Blade Runner is nothing at all like the novel.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I said come in! posted:

He's not making it though, Villanueve is.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

second-hand smegma posted:

So you know two people who are smart but impractical? Those types probably wouldn't be selected for a secret interstellar mission.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

i actually liked prometheus

and King Kong

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
peeps seem to really hate this movie but also really like to talk about it a lot

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Former Human posted:

So you know two people who are smart but impractical? Those types probably wouldn't be selected for a secret interstellar mission.

What if the purpose of the mission isn't Hallowed Science, but so a bajillionaire can reach the Fountain of Youth? Would he bring cannon fodder to clear out traps, maybe taste-test the waters?

No, a rich man would never be so callous, he cares about the expansion of human knowledge, heehee, he respects the work of scientists under his emplo-pfff hahaha

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
experts are often overconfident and do dumb things because they think hey i'm an expert, this is more true if the expert has never had a serious accident

for example steve irwin

the biologist also thought the geologist was cool and wanted to impress him, he knew the geologist thought he was lame and he wanted to prove his coolness

naem
May 29, 2011

Black Bones posted:

What if the purpose of the mission isn't Hallowed Science, but so a bajillionaire can reach the Fountain of Youth? Would he bring cannon fodder to clear out traps, maybe taste-test the waters?

No, a rich man would never be so callous, he cares about the expansion of human knowledge, heehee, he respects the work of scientists under his emplo-pfff hahaha

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Maldoror posted:

experts are often overconfident and do dumb things because they think hey i'm an expert, this is more true if the expert has never had a serious accident

for example steve irwin

the biologist also thought the geologist was cool and wanted to impress him, he knew the geologist thought he was lame and he wanted to prove his coolness

Millburn was crushing hard on Fifield the whole time. Plus they are freaked out by all the alien corpses in Skull Mtn and smoking space-weed, wearing exosuits Weyland PR says will protect them from anything, would Weyland lie?? I think not, he's a noble job creator

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Black Bones posted:

But it makes more sense and actually even makes him more callous and cold and spacerich if he uses actual good scientists for the same purpose?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Network42 posted:

But it makes more sense and actually even makes him more callous and cold and spacerich if he uses actual good scientists for the same purpose?

Sure, space-Disney doesn't care. He prob posted a huge salary ("i'm here to make money") on the contract, maybe held a contest for the best students at all his military bases and science schools (he owns entire planets) or something. Prometheus' joke, which David gets, is that the best meat-bag is just a meat-bag.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Black Bones posted:

Perfect example right here of all the mental gymnastics and explanations that people have to make up themselves to fill in plot holes and contradictions and help themselves believe the movie was actually more interesting (less stupid) than it is.

Stop spending so much energy putting lipstick on a pig. Movie is bad. Deal with it.

Black Bones posted:

Sure, space-Disney doesn't care. He prob posted a huge salary ("i'm here to make money") on the contract, maybe held a contest for the best students at all his military bases and science schools (he owns entire planets) or something. Prometheus' joke, which David gets, is that the best meat-bag is just a meat-bag.

So fill the entire ship with androids then.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
A lot of people are getting mad at this extremely high-quality Jason X remake.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

Blade Runner was just a pale reflection of the Dick story, so who cares if it gets ruined.

So you'd prefer a movie where Deckard spends half his time on the roof of his apartment building whining about his robot sheep, the bad guys are called "andies," and the female characters are all typical PKD one-dimensional idiots?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Mental gymnastics!? But mr babcock I have a doctor's note excusing me from brain exercise

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Maldoror posted:

peeps seem to really hate this movie but also really like to talk about it a lot

I can't really explain it. Usually I'm happy to let people enjoy things I don't, everyone has their own preferences and the most I'll do is explain why my opinion differs for the sake of discussion. But something about Prometheus just rubs me the wrong way and it legitimately upsets me that there are people who not only managed to enjoy it, but will defend it and fanboy over it. Even if I know that someone is just trolling, something about Prometheus requires me to try to convince them that it is bad and they are wrong to like it.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Former Human posted:

Perfect example right here of all the mental gymnastics and explanations that people have to make up themselves to fill in plot holes and contradictions and help themselves believe the movie was actually more interesting (less stupid) than it is.

Stop spending so much energy putting lipstick on a pig. Movie is bad. Deal with it.

So fill the entire ship with androids then.

Why wasn't the character of Weyland more accepting of death, after such a purposeful life? That would certainly have set a better example for his daughter and fake son, like he was supposed to damien, you idiot

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I'm really confused about why he died after smoking weed in this slasher movie.

I think Damian Lindeloff is hiding secret information from me, that would explain this complex plot.

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Prometheus is just one of those movies that causes tragically un-self-aware pseudointellectual pieces of human garbage to identify themselves at the top of their lungs. It does it better than, say, Inception, that old Zippy the Pinhead Clown comic strip or Frank Zappa music. There's just something about it that stimulates fat dopes who have been surfing an ego wave since they banged out a good score on a standardized test in middle school. I couldn't make the point any more clear than this thread already is. Never fails.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Moon Atari posted:

I can't really explain it. Usually I'm happy to let people enjoy things I don't, everyone has their own preferences and the most I'll do is explain why my opinion differs for the sake of discussion. But something about Prometheus just rubs me the wrong way and it legitimately upsets me that there are people who not only managed to enjoy it, but will defend it and fanboy over it. Even if I know that someone is just trolling, something about Prometheus requires me to try to convince them that it is bad and they are wrong to like it.

If you makes you feel better, I know a guy irl who told me that he will only enjoy the new star wars if i do not (he was mad I liked the new star treks). I think he regretted admitting it, but how was I not supposed to laugh??

So yer not quite the bitterest nerd out there, that's something!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Tujague posted:

Prometheus is just one of those movies that causes tragically un-self-aware pseudointellectual pieces of human garbage to identify themselves at the top of their lungs. It does it better than, say, Inception, that old Zippy the Pinhead Clown comic strip or Frank Zappa music. There's just something about it that stimulates fat dopes who have been surfing an ego wave since they banged out a good score on a standardized test in middle school. I couldn't make the point any more clear than this thread already is. Never fails.

It's just Critters with a larger budget, and Critters is good.

• Locked thread