Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

then blame the game devs for being really lacking in imagination, not the imaginary character in a videogame that has nothing except what other people put into it

I keep trying to come up with a response to this but I can't even parse it. Are you saying people always have to say they dislike the creators of fictional characters rather than the character themself? Why??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

remember how you can get the suit of armor costume for ashley

just watch her clankin' around for the whole game
Didn't that make her effectively invincible because she was too heavy for NPCs to grab?

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

holy christ I left to have dinner with friends right before the Crash run and saw a lot of posts so I thought something amazing happened and then I caught up :stonk:

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
That upside down rifle is triggering me hard.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

then blame the game devs for being really lacking in imagination, not the imaginary character in a videogame that has nothing except what other people put into it

:psyduck:

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
"Guys, you just don't get Ashley. She's actually super smart and talented and that's why she's so important in RE5!"

*keeps trying to look up her skirt by making her crawl under tables*

*founds the Ashley Green fanclub, runs for VP because she is the daughter of the prez*

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

jesus christ you nerds, i'm just saying it's weird to go 'i hate this character because they get captured in dumb situations'

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rorus Raz posted:

Didn't that make her effectively invincible because she was too heavy for NPCs to grab?

no, she could still be attacked (And hurt), and iirc she could still be grabbed and carried but npcs would be hella loving slow when carrying her

the arguably bigger thing was that the armor made her bulletproof so friendly fire becomes a virtually nonexistent worry

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

jesus christ you nerds, i'm just saying it's weird to go 'i hate this character because they get captured in dumb situations'
I don't think most people would consider that weird.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Toxxupation posted:

no, she could still be attacked (And hurt), and iirc she could still be grabbed and carried but npcs would be hella loving slow when carrying her

the arguably bigger thing was that the armor made her bulletproof so friendly fire becomes a virtually nonexistent worry

her being bulletproof actually got annoying because she would stop ducking to let you shoot over her and would just lower her visor

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Toxxupation posted:

Nah, she couldn't be hurt at all. I remember playing through on the higher difficulty and using her invincibility to cheese El Gigante fights since ammo was scarce. They could still carry her away, though.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

But it's all a consequence of her actions? Like, if she is to blame because she's stupid, and her stupidity detracts from the game, then it's kosher to hate on her. :psyduck:

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Those are skillz

:69snypa:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i think the bigger thing is that criticizing an re game for its story/character decisions is like criticizing the sky for being blue

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

What is this commentary? It's... informative? With no bad jokes??

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Toxxupation posted:

I'm legit surprised that some people could be so bad at talking while playing a game that they play every day anyways

and don't most of these people have to entertain on camera anyways? like, to make a living? i'm assuming most of the runners here are making a living with their streaming

All of the runners practice the game but forget to practice talking and their commentary. Speaking well is a skil you need to practice too!

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?vide...orName=leonhelp

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

me: videogame people aren't real people, but game developers are, and a character getting in stuck in a dumb trap or two in a resident evil game is what always happens because the game developers say so

goons: buh? :psyduck:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

me: videogame people aren't real people, but game developers are, and a character getting in stuck in a dumb trap or two in a resident evil game is what always happens because the game developers say so

shut the gently caress up

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
Hahah, that weird OOB thing sounds awesome.

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014

Dezinus posted:

Hahah, that weird OOB thing sounds awesome.

Seriously, did they never decide to record that or something because I want to see it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Do you not understand how fiction works or something.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

That no scope rocket holy poo poo!!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

NotALizardman posted:

That no scope rocket holy poo poo!!

any mention of rockets in resident evil 4 brings back bad memories of last year

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Runner mentioned a glitch to get back into the ashley section, but i can't find anything about this online. Anyone know what's up with it?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Zurreco posted:

I like how they make a big deal about Carcinogen having been on SDA for 9 years...

That's super old for the community, and 9 years on SDA is like saying 9 years of speedrunning.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I like that these guys seem to have discussed beforehand who was going to explain what.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

This run is good as hell.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.
This run is real good!

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Just watched the latest Game of Thrones, man is Joffery a prick
- UHHH ACTUALLLLY HE IS NOT A REAL PERSON AND HE WAS WRITTEN THAT WAY BY A PERSON :smug:

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Studio posted:

That's super old for the community, and 9 years on SDA is like saying 9 years of speedrunning.

Like I said earlier, not to start a dick measuring competition but 9 years at SDA isn't the biggest deal. There are plenty of us that were there for a lot longer that have since 'retired' from speedrunning.

The fact that Carci has been actively speedrunning for that entire time and is able to make a living off of it is WAY more important/interesting than when he registered on a forum.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Yo Day 1 highlights?

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer
I concur that this RE4 run is great. Awesome commentary, solid gameplay.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Svampson posted:

Just watched the latest Game of Thrones, man is Joffery a prick
- UHHH ACTUALLLLY HE IS NOT A REAL PERSON AND HE WAS WRITTEN THAT WAY BY A PERSON :smug:

i'm not gonna talk about it anymore but there's a big difference between saying 'this person is an rear end in a top hat' or 'this person is really annoying' and going 'i hate this person because they get stuck in traps' in a resident evil game of all things. it's b-grade horror movie poo poo.

(game of thrones sucks)

Zas posted:

Yo Day 1 highlights?

Crash Bandicoot 2

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
the re4 run going on right now is a highlight, crash 2 crashed and burned, yosh's island was a good run and trihex finally defeated marathon luck but the couch was dead

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Hah, OOB through Salazar? That's so dumb, but in a good way.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

re3 was also really good and this guy just walked through salazar holy poo poo hahah

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Zurreco posted:

Hah, OOB through Salazar? That's so dumb, but in a good way.
and they stole his money

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm not gonna talk about it anymore but there's a big difference between saying 'this person is an rear end in a top hat' or 'this person is really annoying' and going 'i hate this person because they get stuck in traps' in a resident evil game of all things. it's b-grade horror movie poo poo.

Yeah and I hate basically every other character in the series too because its all written poorly. Didn't realize I had to mention that in my post to keep you from going off on an absurd tangent.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah and I hate basically every other character in the series too because its all written poorly. Didn't realize I had to mention that in my post to keep you from going off on an absurd tangent.

absurd tangents are a goon staple

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
The AI manipulation with Leon running is hilarious. So is the explanation for that "Well, the AI is basically leading their shots/pathing, but they're leading them behind the truck in this case"?

e: :ughh: ... :zpatriot:

Erata fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
:911:

• Locked thread