Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Hey, since we were talking about power supplies and output isolation a little while ago, I thought I'd mention that at Summer NAMM Joyo just announced that they're putting out an actual isolated output power supply. No pricing information and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere, but if they manage to get this to street for under $100 it'll be a verrrrrrrry interesting option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i have a question about power supplies:

can you daisy chain off of stuff when using them or does that defeat the point? some supplies don't seem to have that many isolated lines.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
It's my understanding that: Yes, you can, but, Yes that defeats the point. Though you may find a couple pedals that play well together and make it okay.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
While I'm waiting for the rest of my board components to get in (including a joyo power supply!!! wish me luck!!!), where's the best place for a volume pedal? After dirt? In the loop (that would be bad right)? I don't want another volume knob, I want to be able to do volume swells and stuff.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

muike posted:

While I'm waiting for the rest of my board components to get in (including a joyo power supply!!! wish me luck!!!), where's the best place for a volume pedal? After dirt? In the loop (that would be bad right)? I don't want another volume knob, I want to be able to do volume swells and stuff.

I'd put it after dirt. Putting it in the loop just makes it a foot controlled master volume.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Any recommendations for a smaller board (4-5ish pedals + One Spot) that has a tour or flight case option? I see the PedalTrain Classic JR has one but it's bigger than I need. Ideally the PedalTrain Mini would have a hard case option, but open to other recommendations that do.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Declan MacManus posted:

I'd put it after dirt. Putting it in the loop just makes it a foot controlled master volume.

If you put it after dirt before the preamp then you're going to be affecting distortion and gain mostly (like using the guitars volume knob to clean up your sound), if you have a series effects loop place your volume pedal LAST in your FX loop to act as a true volume control for swells and fades.

You're right, Declan, but looking at his question it seems that's exactly what he wants.

Incidentally, Moog (yes I still pimp the gently caress out of that company because they're awesome) makes a GREAT expression pedal for $40, I'm pretty sure that if you use a TRS splitter that you can use it as a volume pedal (like doing the reverse to make a volume pedal and expression pedal), but don't hold me to that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
really liking bulky expression pedals makes assembling pedalboards difficult

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Building a pedalboard around an expression pedal or similar is a PITA. I'm seriously considering a Cry Baby Mini just to free up some real estate and clean up my cable routing. Not sure if it would play nice with my giant feet though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I was going to replace my whammy with a polyphonic detune from digitech since that's my favorite function of it but i managed to squeeze it into a spot that makes it looks like a fat person riding bitch on a motorcycle.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Best bet for custom patch cables?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

muike posted:

I dig the George L's kit

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

muike posted:

Spool of Canare wire and some Switchcraft connectors.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those are both good options.

Also looking for a phase shifter, something with depth and rate controls. I'll probably just get a phase 90 and deal with the fact that it's always on, unless I find a better deal on something else...

And if anyone's owned both the Digitech Polara and Supernatural reverbs please chime in they both seem really cool.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
There's a two-knob phaser in the Malekko Omicron series and those things all sound pretty great to me. Seem to go real cheap used too.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

muike posted:

Also looking for a phase shifter

I used a PH-2 for a long time, they are cool but get overly 'drippy' and 'gloopy' for my tastes. Too intense.

I tried a phase 90 for a little bit and I liked how I didn't have to mess with multiple knobs constantly. Not intense enough, though.

I switched to an EQD grand orbiter and I don't think I will need a new phaser for a long time.

What kind of stuff do you want to use it for?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The Boss DD500 looks insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvdHKz3bBjk

Seawaffle
Jun 21, 2007
making a career of misquoting

Yeah, I've been watching that. Two delays running at the same time as a looper could really mean that this could be a Timeline killer. It looks really great.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Anyone have any recommendations on pairing guitar and bass distortion? After a couple of years of gentle prodding, my bassist is finally coming around to an overdrive and he's thinking the bass Big Muff. It sounds good on paper, cause I use a Big Muff and a Boss Metal Zone for my distortion, but will things sound overly "same-ey" with double muffs? We play loud weird riffy stuff so it should all be fine but I thought I'd put it out there.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Not really since you're going to be an octave apart from each other.

The Boss BB1x is worth a try though because its great.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Postmaster GBS posted:

I used a PH-2 for a long time, they are cool but get overly 'drippy' and 'gloopy' for my tastes. Too intense.

I tried a phase 90 for a little bit and I liked how I didn't have to mess with multiple knobs constantly. Not intense enough, though.

I switched to an EQD grand orbiter and I don't think I will need a new phaser for a long time.

What kind of stuff do you want to use it for?

Just an all purpose phaser. I think the malekko, partly due to the internal trim, is probably the best choice to just gently caress around with.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ok I currently have my chain like this:

Tuner

OD

Wah

Whammy

Phaser

Volume

Delay

Verb

Gate

I kind of like having Whammy after Delay but I'm not sure whether I should switch the position of the Whammy or the position of the Delay.

The only pedal I have going through the loop is the gate, I haven't really hosed around with the others in the loop. It's a series loop so I guess the reverb and delay and volume could go there, but I'm not really familiar with loops.

e: I also use my whammy as a pseudo-chorus if that helps figure out which I should move.

muike fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 1, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

my buddy sold me a block logo phase 90 recently so i finally got the chance to A/B it with my Joyo Vintage Phase and i gotta be honest, i like the Joyo way better. it's a bit more subtle and analog sounding, sounds great after dirt for overt phase shifting or before dirt for really cool shoegazey sounds. the Phase 90 by contrast sounded way too over the top and artificial.

anyway, buy a Joyo phase, they're like 30 bucks and they're my favoeite phaser i've ever played.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Does anyone know if a thing like this exists, and what it is called:

Kind of like a reversed AB-box.

I want to play guitar on top of some sequencer/synth-stuff, with the ability to cut out the synth on the fly. Maybe I just need a switcher/looper but I can't really figure it out.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It's called plugging into an ABY box backwards.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Google a place called loop masters or something similar. Phone posting or I would link them directly but they have exactly what you're looking for, or can custom build you one for dirt cheep.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Slightly revised chain:

Tuner

OD

Wah

phaser

Delay

Whammy

Volume

Verb

Anyone forsee problems here?

I basically just want to put my whammy after my delay, so the position of my phaser, whammy, and delay is kind of up in the air

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

muike posted:

Slightly revised chain:

Tuner

OD

Wah

phaser

Delay

Whammy

Volume

Verb

Anyone forsee problems here?

I basically just want to put my whammy after my delay, so the position of my phaser, whammy, and delay is kind of up in the air

Does the Whammy track correctly when being used after the delay?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Personally I would swap the Wah and OD, Whammy and Delay.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I've been considering an EHX MicroSynth. But I'd like to use it for both bass and guitar. EHX makes a model specific to each, but I could only afford one. Which one would be a safer buy? I'm afraid of ruining the inner circuitry.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ProperCoochie posted:

I've been considering an EHX MicroSynth. But I'd like to use it for both bass and guitar. EHX makes a model specific to each, but I could only afford one. Which one would be a safer buy? I'm afraid of ruining the inner circuitry.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about the MicroSynth

Guitars through bass effects and amps always sound really good. Bass through guitar effects amps sounds like garbage. I'd go with the bass option.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Get the bass version if your going to do both. Guitar version may not pick up the bass frequencies at all.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

polynominal-c posted:

Does the Whammy track correctly when being used after the delay?

Not quite as well, but still really well. Plus loving a whammy up is half the fun.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Personally I would swap the Wah and OD, Whammy and Delay.

WAH ALWAYS AFTER OD. I WILL DIE FOR THIS

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Any recommendations for XLR Mute Pedal? Needs to have a status light as well.

Agrinja
Nov 30, 2013

Praise the Sun!

Total Clam

ProperCoochie posted:

Disclaimer: I am not familiar with the MicroSynth. But broadly and simply speaking, the difference between bass and guitar pedals is the input filtering [And the EQ centers.] It's common practice to roll off some of the low, low end on a pedal input to help combat low frequency noise in the circuit, and pedals intended for guitar roll off more lows because outside of goofy tuning or extended range, you just aren't going to get that low down. You shouldn't hurt anything by running a bass through a guitar pedal, or vice versa, you'll just make your bass sound rather thin and lose a lot of your rumble.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Anyone got a Neunaber Slate? Thoughts? :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am looking for a Trem / Vibrato pedal that is easy to dial in speeds accurately and repeatably.
I have an Electro Harmonix Stereo Pulsar that is great but a real bitch to tempo match with.
Any recommendations?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

I am looking for a Trem / Vibrato pedal that is easy to dial in speeds accurately and repeatably.
I have an Electro Harmonix Stereo Pulsar that is great but a real bitch to tempo match with.
Any recommendations?

Super Pulsar? http://www.ehx.com/products/super-pulsar

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Looks good, I was pondering those.
:lol: at every video ever made for a trem pedal featuring How Soon Is Now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

massive spider posted:

Not really since you're going to be an octave apart from each other.

The Boss BB1x is worth a try though because its great.

He was all set to go with the Bass Big Muff, but they were sold out when we went to the shop. They did have a BB1X though and over 20 mins of trying it out he decided it was worth the extra investment. That's a drat sweet pedal. Thanks!