Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope it's just two hours of Torgo's theme with lots of premise pops and scratches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
I'm the co-owner of the label that's putting out the Manos LP and it's been a long gestating project for us. It's coming along really good, though. We've been working the best possible elements for the release and have cooked up some cool artwork for the jacket.

Plus, Torgo's Theme will be on a locked groove at the end of side A, so it can be played infinitely if you should so desire.

Can't wait to share more about the project with everybody!

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

I'm the co-owner of the label that's putting out the Manos LP and it's been a long gestating project for us. It's coming along really good, though. We've been working the best possible elements for the release and have cooked up some cool artwork for the jacket.

Plus, Torgo's Theme will be on a locked groove at the end of side A, so it can be played infinitely if you should so desire.

Can't wait to share more about the project with everybody!

Well.... just got my wife a record player. I know what my first vinyl I'm buying is going to be!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Ballz posted:

The guys behind the Kickstarter for the Mother 1 OST on vinyl
NERD

where can I find that please

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

pwn posted:

NERD

where can I find that please

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/972481375/mother-the-original-arranged-soundtrack-album/description

We are going to have the copies that are left over for sale at our web store come November (there are like 5-600 left).

Yes, I am the goony-goon in the video.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

You sir are doing the lord's work. I hope there will be a cool color because I am dumb and collect that stuff like candy.

P.S.: REISSUE THE SOUNDTRACK TO THE APPLE. SOMEONE HAS TO DO THIS.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

You sir are doing the lord's work. I hope there will be a cool color because I am dumb and collect that stuff like candy.

P.S.: REISSUE THE SOUNDTRACK TO THE APPLE. SOMEONE HAS TO DO THIS.

The colors are going to be a Brown Torgo Edition and a Black/Red swirl Master edition.

Plus black, of course.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

That's loving ingenious. Let us know first when pre-orders go up, I'm gonna be all over the Master version.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

facebook posted:

"Manos" makes its Canadian debut July 18th, 11 PM, at the Fantasia International Film Festival!

http://www.fantasiafestival.com/2015/en/films-schedule/264/manos-the-hands-of-fate

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
Synapse has finally revealed the stunning cover art by Joel Robinson (no relation).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ben Solo posted:

Synapse has finally revealed the stunning cover art by Joel Robinson (no relation).

That is perfect. I regret missing the kickstarter, so here hoping it goes up on sale for non-backers.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
drat, that's good.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

That cover art is fantastic.

Rirse posted:

That is perfect. I regret missing the kickstarter, so here hoping it goes up on sale for non-backers.

According to Synapse's Facebook post about the cover art, the general release should be in October (though there's no exact date yet) and Kickstarter backers should get it some time before then.

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!
Oh man, I'm so excited now. I gotta commend you Ben, for putting up with the legal hassles and sticking with it and seeing it through for the backers. Movie archiving and restoration is something I really am fascinated by and I'm glad I could help in preserving and restoring a masterpiece of trash cinema. Thanks for keeping us posted!

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
Gorgeous.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ben Solo posted:

That's great cover art and I'd love to see that as a poster.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I like that the quotation marks are included.

pwn
May 27, 2004

So which did you end up going with? Rounded corners, right. Please say rounded corners

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I don't suppose it's possible to have some sort of marker on the packaging identifying a kickstartered DVD/Blu copy as such?

Either way, congratulations Ben! Thank you for all your hard work! I'm sure my movie night crew will also "thank" you when I subject Manos to them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ben Solo posted:

That's fantastic. We're getting closer!! :toot:

Tomero_the_Great posted:

I don't suppose it's possible to have some sort of marker on the packaging identifying a kickstartered DVD/Blu copy as such?
I like this idea. Hell, I'd even go for having Ben Solo sign my blu ray insert.

CrowsNestMutineer
Mar 9, 2009

* Juciano makes the best damned Caesar dressing I've ever tasted in my life.

Beautiful. I can't wait to get mine.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Can anyone confirm the usual Blu-Ray coding of Synapse releases? Are they often locked to region A? I'm seriously hoping Manos is unlocked, being in the UK...

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Fair Hallion posted:

Can anyone confirm the usual Blu-Ray coding of Synapse releases? Are they often locked to region A?

I think it depends on the licensing they can get. My Countess Dracula and Demons BluRays are all region locked. Street Trash isn't though and neither is Maniac Cop. They're not consistently one way or the other.

I don't think there are any competing international releases of Manos either though, so I'd bet on it being region free. Maybe Ben can confirm?

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 20, 2015

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

It's a public domain movie, there is no licensing needed. For the video at least. I would presume for the artwork and any extras, they own the world wide licenses since they made them.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ben Solo posted:

Yaaaaaay :unsmith:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

duz posted:

It's a public domain movie, there is no licensing needed. For the video at least.

You'd think, but I believe that there was already some sort of issue with the people who are making a sequel and are somehow tied to the original film.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
My buddy had the honor of having his short film open for Manos at the Fantasia showing. It was his first time seeing Manos and I think he was baffled utterly by the just how inept Harold P. Warren was at filmmaking.

Edit: I was curious and went to look at my first post in this thread and holy crap I didn't realize this thing is almost four years old now.

Detective Thompson fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 22, 2015

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
It's finally up for preorder!

Manos: The Hands of Fate Blu-ray - October 13 - $24.99

Ben Solo
Oct 23, 2004

I take care of the place while the Master is away.
Synapse has posted the specs on both releases:

quote:

Specs for our Blu-ray and DVD releases of MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE, coming October 13, 2015:

SPECIAL FEATURES:
• All-new 2K restoration
• Audio commentary featuring Tom “The Master” Neyman and Jackey Raye “Debbie” Neyman-Jones
• HANDS: THE FATE OF “MANOS” Featurette
• RESTORING THE HANDS OF FATE Featurette
• FELT: THE PUPPET HANDS OF FATE Featurette
• MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE -
“Grindhouse Unrestored Version” (BLU-RAY ONLY BONUS)

NOT RATED / 1966 / 74 MINS. / COLOR / 2.0 MONO / 1.33:1/ REGION FREE
BLU PRICE: $24.95/ DVD PRICE: $19.95

And yes, I'm to blame for the title of that first featurette.

The "Grindhouse" version is from the same 16mm print as the Rifftrax version, and is being released under creative commons, so DVD buyers might find it on Archive.org before too long.

By contrast, the restoration had enough notable differences to get its own copyright, and I now have certificates from the Library of Congress that make it official. Since it became clear that others were already planning to sell the work as their own, it was a necessary move.

Detective Thompson posted:

My buddy had the honor of having his short film open for Manos at the Fantasia showing. It was his first time seeing Manos and I think he was baffled utterly by the just how inept Harold P. Warren was at filmmaking.

Wish I could have been there to see it!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
My god... I only just now found this thread, and I am so happy that I have.

Like many others, I originally loved this film due to the MST3K/Rifftrax reasons. However, I have recently befriended a lot of film grads and have enjoyed watching it for learning (in the sense that they'll stop it, ask why something doesn't work, and then ask what should have been done). This movie has taught me sooooo much about why things work/don't work in cinema and I can now actually explain why things in film are so awkward.

Will be placing a pre-order for sure!

2DCAT fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 24, 2015

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!
Pre-order placed! Can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks for all your work on this Ben Solo!

pwn
May 27, 2004

pwn posted:

So which did you end up going with? Rounded corners, right. Please say rounded corners

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

pwn posted:

I'd like to know this, too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
"Hands: The Fate of Manos" is a wonderful goddamn name for a documentary.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Preordered my copy so hard! Can't wait for the release!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Looks great! I'm glad I was able to contribute to the Kickstarter; I can't wait for it to arrive.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ben sent out a lengthy update to Kickstarter backers, most of which was stuff we already knew about here, but he ended it with this important nugget of information:

Ben Solo posted:

Last but not least: I'm pleased to announce that after many months of work, our 35mm preservation negative has been struck and placed on deposit at the Academy Film Archive. While theatrical prints from the negative have not yet been created (this involves another round of costly work, including color timing and the creation of an answer print for testing), proceeds from our fundraising store, the disc and LP sales will go toward that final step. For now, I just want backers to know that their contribution to this project has at last ensured the long term preservation of this film in the 35mm format- currently, the only truly secure method of film preservation.

Now despite what some dorks on the Internet might tell you, the whole goal of the Kickstarter was to restore and preserve Manos in archival quality. Getting a professionally released dvd or blu-ray was always meant to be a bonus for contributing to the project. Getting that 35mm print to the Academy could be the biggest milestone in truly preserving Manos for future generations to... um, experience for themselves.

So kudos all around to everyone involved and who contributed, Ben especially. As someone who's followed this project from page 1 (almost four years ago holy poo poo) and can only imagine the trials and tribulations that must have gone on to get where we are today, I really want to commend you for truly being able to save Manos: The Hands of Fate. :cheers:

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I have still never seen this movie. I became aware of it just as this thread started and I decided to wait until my disk arrived.

Since then I've lost 100 pounds (my backer shirt is huge and I now wear it as pajamas), finalized my divorce, moved across the country, started a webcomic ... it's been a long road and I can't wait to subject my friends to this movie.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Geekboy posted:

I have still never seen this movie. I became aware of it just as this thread started and I decided to wait until my disk arrived.

Since then I've lost 100 pounds (my backer shirt is huge and I now wear it as pajamas), finalized my divorce, moved across the country, started a webcomic ... it's been a long road and I can't wait to subject my friends to this movie.

Do a double feature with Death Bed: The Bed That Eats and tell me how it goes.

I believe that if there exists a companion film with Manos, it would be Death Bed. Both movies have a very similar feel and style and are contemporaries. The only film that has ever left me with the same after impression after first seeing it as Manos would be Death Bed.

I think Stephen Thrower sums it up best about Death Bed:

"The lines crossed by Death Bed are an index of its quality. Set in the twilight between genres - between comedy and horror, art and artless, mundane and insane - it draws on energies lost to more sensible films."

You can say the same things about Manos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

InfiniteZero posted:

Do a double feature with Death Bed: The Bed That Eats and tell me how it goes.

I believe that if there exists a companion film with Manos, it would be Death Bed. Both movies have a very similar feel and style and are contemporaries. The only film that has ever left me with the same after impression after first seeing it as Manos would be Death Bed.

I think Stephen Thrower sums it up best about Death Bed:

"The lines crossed by Death Bed are an index of its quality. Set in the twilight between genres - between comedy and horror, art and artless, mundane and insane - it draws on energies lost to more sensible films."

You can say the same things about Manos.

But Manos was an earnest attempt to make a serious movie. It's more like Plan 9 than a bed that eats people.

• Locked thread