Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Crowded couch with people that actually look awake, hopefully some good commentary coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yuna's next to him

It's proposal time, boys

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The best part of speedrunning is when people find RTA strats for things thought to be TAS only

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
FORWARD ROLLING DOWN THE ISLES

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
any good runs today I should catch up on? I missed virtually everything up to MM.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SWMadness posted:

Arbitrary code execution glitch runs are the BEST.

"do random nonsensical thing" CUE CREDITS :golfclap:

My favorite example of this is a TASbot running Wario Land (I think?) that goes off script, randomly flails around on a stage, and this SOMEHOW skips it straight to the end scene. Nobody knew about that before the bot randomly discovered it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OKですか?

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

God I wish somehow mother 3 could be speedrun :(

How many hours of cuts scenes are actually in the game?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Does the current Earthbound any% still use the weird second file glitch?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Seriously if you've never played Earthbound go buy it on the VC or something. Its one of the most charming games ever made.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Internet Kraken posted:

My favorite example of this is a TASbot running Wario Land (I think?) that goes off script, randomly flails around on a stage, and this SOMEHOW skips it straight to the end scene. Nobody knew about that before the bot randomly discovered it.
Speaking of which, I'm not sure how TASbot is going to top Super Mario World and Pokemon Plays Twitch.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's been a while since I've seen a stream, but through Onett they do some stuff which allows for guaranteed Smaaaash!s against Titanic Ant and the Captain Strong.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Seriously if you've never played Earthbound go buy it on the VC or something. Its one of the most charming games ever made.

It's ok I guess.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

stringball posted:

God I wish somehow mother 3 could be speedrun :(

How many hours of cuts scenes are actually in the game?

even the TAS was almost six hours long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZkL3JPgtnY

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I see caleb is there to show off his arms

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

argondamn posted:

Does the current Earthbound any% still use the weird second file glitch?

He just reset the game and there was only one save file so no.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I like how the one girl is squished into the edge of the couch and everyone else looks comfy.

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides
Whoever made that SGDQ bingo with "RNG used in place of 'luck' " was loving spot-on.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Phone posted:

With Caleb Hart baby

Is that the kid who keeps getting really angry at things?

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Internet Kraken posted:

No, that was a TAS that was supposed to be an any% run and instead desynced on a different version of the emulator it was made on and warped to credits. Here's the thread for it: http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16135 the OP has been edited to reflect the desync.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

Is that the kid who keeps getting really angry at things?

He also beats himself up over video games

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape

Jadaris posted:

Whoever made that SGDQ bingo with "RNG used in place of 'luck' " was loving spot-on.

When you're actively manipulating the RNG, calling it "luck" seems kinda dumb.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

oh, great, a speedrun of a SNES JRPG

What other runs from today should I watch? I want to check out Half-Minute Hero but that's not uploaded anywhere and the Twitch VOD is muted. :(

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Now I remember who mr tank top reminds me of

https://youtu.be/9kycdQnKPz0

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Kaubocks posted:

oh, great, a speedrun of a SNES JRPG

What other runs from today should I watch? I want to check out Half-Minute Hero but that's not uploaded anywhere and the Twitch VOD is muted. :(

Kirby Tilt and Tumble is short and pretty fun, especially considering the control scheme.

Ecco: Tides of Time also was a really smooth run that had the guy playing it pull off TAS stunts on his first attempt. :stare:

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides

filthychimp posted:

When you're actively manipulating the RNG, calling it "luck" seems kinda dumb.

In this specific instance maybe, but it's been all week.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh-net

Isn't it supposed to be One-tt like Want? Whole theme of cities and all with One tt, Two son, Three d, Sum mers, Ten da.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Incoherence posted:

Speaking of which, I'm not sure how TASbot is going to top Super Mario World and Pokemon Plays Twitch.

Ikaruga is going to be insane I'm sure.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

This is actually some pretty impressive rng manipulation

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The way they're doing this speedrun makes it look like Ness has OCD.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can someone explain the glithc theyre doing in fights I didnt catch it

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

raditts posted:

The way they're doing this speedrun makes it look like Ness has OCD.

Kind of reminds me of Kris Straub's Broodhollow where the main character believes that his OCD compulsions actually do affect the universe the same way a speedrunner manipulates RNG

(It's a really neat spooky little webcomic, everyone should be reading it)

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

it's super rad that he knows exactly how battles will play out, and exactly where the enemies will be.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

Can someone explain the glithc theyre doing in fights I didnt catch it

From each save he does a specific amount of movements and actions to track the RNG before each combat action so he knows exactly what will happen.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How does he trick the battle system into giving him Smash's and not getting hit

edit: oh the specific amounts mess with that. Thanks dude.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
this is some warlock poo poo

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
This is a manual TAS and it is glorious

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

How does he trick the battle system into giving him Smash's and not getting hit

He basically knows that because he moved this way and that way on his walk over to the fight, and then hit B 20 times at the start of the fight, that the enemy will roll a miss and he will roll a crit, then if he hits B 5 more times he'll get another crit, etc.

Basically one they figured it out they probably used some kind of debugger to track the values, and then they just memorize what to do.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Oh-net

Isn't it supposed to be One-tt like Want? Whole theme of cities and all with One tt, Two son, Three d, Sum mers, Ten da.

They've been spelling out p-s-i the whole time too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
This is breaking my brain.

• Locked thread