Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

House Louse posted:

It's definitely compatible, problem is, will it kill the performance?

So a total of 8GB? That seems like a lot (it only had 1GB when I bought it) but probably worth it.

I bought around 20 or so of those models and put 10.9 on them last year. They were fine with 4GB and an SSD to play Youtube videos and use our common apps like Word, SPSS, etc. This is with reducing the transparency. I don't work at the place I purchased them for anymore, so I never moved them to 10.10; however, I can vouch for 10.9 being just fine on them (I imagine the SSD is the important thing as those 5400 drives suck out the box in new machines even).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there any way to disable OS X killing Wi-Fi when it "detects" that it may be compromised? It frequently (and only ever) happens to me while I'm streaming video and sometimes it kills my Wi-Fi for a couple of minutes and sometimes it doesn't. I'm pretty sure my Wi-Fi isn't being hacked.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any way to disable OS X killing Wi-Fi when it "detects" that it may be compromised? It frequently (and only ever) happens to me while I'm streaming video and sometimes it kills my Wi-Fi for a couple of minutes and sometimes it doesn't. I'm pretty sure my Wi-Fi isn't being hacked.

Pretty sure?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Evis posted:

Pretty sure?
Dead sure, it has happened quite a few times since I installed Mavericks and continued with Yosemite. Never happened for the two years I had Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain Lion. Not once. Once I installed Mavericks it started, but only appeared while I was streaming video. Never, ever otherwise. I think OS X thinks streaming a video file to my PS3 via Playback means the Wi-Fi is being compromised. Fair enough being security-conscious and all but it would be nice to not have OS X freak out and kill my Wi-Fi in the middle of streaming a movie or whatever.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yeah I was curious to know what's going on here and how OS X is detecting this because I've never seen this feature before. Looking around online it seems like it's a TKIP integrity failure. You should actually disable TKIP on your router if you control it because there are now practical attacks on TKIP. It's probably just from the traffic volume and a bad signal. Forcing AES might solve this.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Evis posted:

Yeah I was curious to know what's going on here and how OS X is detecting this because I've never seen this feature before. Looking around online it seems like it's a TKIP integrity failure. You should actually disable TKIP on your router if you control it because there are now practical attacks on TKIP. It's probably just from the traffic volume and a bad signal. Forcing AES might solve this.
That makes sense, I figured it might have something to do with the amount of data being streamed through the router since it only happens with video files being streamed and not music for instance. I'm fairly inexperienced when it comes to fiddling with router settings though so I'd greatly appreciate if you could elaborate a bit.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

What kind of router do you have?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

A Linksys Cisco WRT320N, 1GB.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

On the admin page for the router, go to the wireless tab. From there, pick WPA2 personal for the security mode, then pick AES for encryption. Found this on page 15 of the manual if you have that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I can't seem to find the encryption option anywhere, but I did change the security mode to WPA2 personal, and thinking on it now (having read about various Wi-Fi issues in general) I've actually been meaning to do that for a good while now. I feel that might go a long way to help on its own.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Giving aTank a whirl for simple (and Cheapish $4.99) text expansion.

Is there no FOSS tex expander for Mac? I don't need extended capabilities like forms and scripts. I need something that will correct double capitals, words I constantly misspell, and some terminals commands I have to repeatedly type.

(aText made six corrections in that last sentence alone!!)

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
I'm so pissed off. I'm about to go on a long drive so I added two albums to iTunes to listen to which I put into two playlists. I sync my phone and check it, but all my playlists are missing.

So I sync it again and now all the music on my iPhone has been wiped for no reason and now I can't leave until it syncs 5,000 songs. Man, gently caress Apple sometimes. :argh:

Edit: I think the problem was that iCloud re-enabled itself somehow and that's what broke everything. Now I have to remember to check that poo poo is disabled before I sync I guess.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 1, 2015

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

emoji posted:

Fully functional Caffeine replacement in your dotfiles since the icon is lovely on retina and it was fun to make an amphetamine icon with ASCIImage:

Lua code:
ampOnIcon = [[ASCII:
.....1a..........AC..........E
1..........aA..........CE.....
e.2......4.3...........h......
.......................h......
e.2......6.3..........t..q....
5..........c..........s.......
......6..................q....
......................s..t....
.....5c.......................
]]

ampOffIcon = [[ASCII:
.....1a.....x....AC.y.......zE
1..........aA..........CE.....
e.2......4.3...........h......
.......................h......
e.2......6.3..........t..q....
5..........c..........s..q....
......6...............s..t....
...x.5c....y.......z..........
]]

local caffeine = hs.menubar.new()
function setCaffeineDisplay(state)
    if state then
        caffeine:setIcon(ampOnIcon)
    else
        caffeine:setIcon(ampOffIcon)
    end
end

function caffeineClicked()
    setCaffeineDisplay(hs.caffeinate.toggle("displayIdle"))
end

if caffeine then
    caffeine:setClickCallback(caffeineClicked)
    setCaffeineDisplay(hs.caffeinate.get("displayIdle"))
end

This is cool.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

oversteer posted:

Any recommendations for software that will do full/incremental backups -

I already use Time Machine to back up to a FreeNAS instance, but I'd like something that can go offsite too..

Ideally (because I'm a cheap rear end) something that can back up to a network share, which I can then archive offsite using my existing Crashplan subscription, which backs up my network drives. (You can't/shouldn't back up Time Machine directories using Crashplan)

Duplicati did this perfectly on Windows, but it seems the OSX port is a bit patchy, and needs Mono etc.
I use Carbon Copy Cloner. I'm not 100% if it handles all the permissions and extended file attributes and whatnot over the network, but it works fine for just backing stuff up over the network. If you don't want to spend money, I vaguely recall a free (or donation ware) app called BackupList or something that was also based on rsync, so it should theoretically work over the network too but that's just a guess. Or you could script something up yourself with (again) rsync.

Alternatively there's Arq, but I don't think you want that cause it backs up into an archival form, i.e. kinda pointless with your use of upping it to Crashplan, like uploading your Time Machine backups.

But speaking of Arq, it now supports Amazon's cloud storage, which is $60/year for unlimited space. I've been thinking about Backblaze or Crashplan but Amazon's cloud makes Arq a competitive option. Plus you can use it for whatever other storage too instead of just backups. Anyone have experience with Amazon's storage in OS X and/or iOS?

kapalama posted:

Giving aTank a whirl for simple (and Cheapish $4.99) text expansion.

Is there no FOSS tex expander for Mac? I don't need extended capabilities like forms and scripts. I need something that will correct double capitals, words I constantly misspell, and some terminals commands I have to repeatedly type.

(aText made six corrections in that last sentence alone!!)
OS X has limited built in text expansion/replacement nowadays...but you mentioned being on 10.6 before so I guess that's not an option v:shobon:v

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

japtor posted:

OS X has limited built in text expansion/replacement nowadays...but you mentioned being on 10.6 before so I guess that's not an option v:shobon:v

Yes, I just ran into that. Does it work to do corrections

liek THese (like these)

as well as expansions of text?

(If so, I'll just pay the $5.00 now and use the OS later one)

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i've never once used it but that web clips functionality seems pretty cool and useful ngl

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004
Is there a way to boot a Macbook Pro (2013) with a cracked screen into an external display when there is no OS on the harddrive?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Plug in an external keyboard and mouse, and close the lid right after you hit the power button. At least that used to work.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the best Paint equivalent for OS X? I just need to add a red line to a screenshot.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

GobiasIndustries posted:

What's the best Paint equivalent for OS X? I just need to add a red line to a screenshot.

Preview can do this. Go to View -> Show Markup Toolbar and use the Sketch tool.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, well there we go, thank you!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

kapalama posted:

Yes, I just ran into that. Does it work to do corrections

liek THese (like these)

as well as expansions of text?

(If so, I'll just pay the $5.00 now and use the OS later one)
The standard spell correction seems to handle like and These fine (just typed those here how you typed it there). Although typing three caps in seems to override it like THIs.

And yeah it does expansions, I have a bunch of shorter ones but I just copied your post and tested it out with your name as the shortcut, worked fine. I wasn't sure of it working with multiple lines before since on regular entry hitting return saves the shortcut, but it looks like copy/pasting it in works around that. One caveat (if it even counts) is there's no spaces allowed, which makes sense cause space/return/tab triggers the expansion.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GobiasIndustries posted:

Ah, well there we go, thank you!

I like Skitch for screenshot annotation.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

japtor posted:

The standard spell correction seems to handle like and These fine (just typed those here how you typed it there). Although typing three caps in seems to override it like THIs.

And yeah it does expansions, I have a bunch of shorter ones but I just copied your post and tested it out with your name as the shortcut, worked fine. I wasn't sure of it working with multiple lines before since on regular entry hitting return saves the shortcut, but it looks like copy/pasting it in works around that. One caveat (if it even counts) is there's no spaces allowed, which makes sense cause space/return/tab triggers the expansion.

The NFL etc. are the reason for not correcting the triple. aText also allows US and the like by default.

You have saved me money. Nice feature there. I had (I think) TypeIt4Me for System 7 back in the '60's. Apple always makes these little things part of the system which is cool for us, but frustrating for the developers, I imagine.

I always wonder what Watson would have become by now, had Apple not just stolen the idea (and then abandoned it). That was a cool program.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 2, 2015

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I've always wondered why time travelers aren't using tech from the pinnacle of human civilization. I mean, why bring System 7 back to the 60's when you have access to OS X Los Angeles River (10.25.2, released just before the zombie plague).

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

is there any way to disable scrollwheel acceleration? kind of throws all my muscle memory off

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm having an issue and I cannot tell if it is El Capitan specific because others experienced it on Yosemite. Every day after the Mac Mini has been idle for an hour or so, nsurlstoraged has to be force quit from the Activity Monitor. It takes up 186% of the CPU and if I don't force quit, eventually OS X will just reboot. Searching through everything on google pointed to deleting ~/Library/Caches/Safari and even the whole ~/Library/Caches contents. I did this, to no avail, the problem persists. Another Google post mentioned its a "MacKeeper" trojan. Scanned with Avast and found nothing. Has anyone experienced this that can offer me help? My last resort is to format and reinstall El Capitan.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Choadmaster posted:

I've always wondered why time travelers aren't using tech from the pinnacle of human civilization. I mean, why bring System 7 back to the 60's when you have access to OS X Los Angeles River (10.25.2, released just before the zombie plague).

Maybe they think the former would be better equipped for the other technology of the day.

Tech is a system after all; you can send an iPhone to the 1880s but it won't do much without the supporting infrastructure.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

gargamale posted:

I'm having an issue and I cannot tell if it is El Capitan specific because others experienced it on Yosemite. Every day after the Mac Mini has been idle for an hour or so, nsurlstoraged has to be force quit from the Activity Monitor. It takes up 186% of the CPU and if I don't force quit, eventually OS X will just reboot. Searching through everything on google pointed to deleting ~/Library/Caches/Safari and even the whole ~/Library/Caches contents. I did this, to no avail, the problem persists. Another Google post mentioned its a "MacKeeper" trojan. Scanned with Avast and found nothing. Has anyone experienced this that can offer me help? My last resort is to format and reinstall El Capitan.

There seem to be more than a few results of people having issues with it using Yosemite, too.

I don't know if it will help, but here's a guy that managed to fix it. There's also info about removing the "VSearch" malware that can do the same thing.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6648836

gargamale
Oct 11, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

flosofl posted:

There seem to be more than a few results of people having issues with it using Yosemite, too.

I don't know if it will help, but here's a guy that managed to fix it. There's also info about removing the "VSearch" malware that can do the same thing.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6648836

Thanks for the reply. However, I already removed the Safari history/cache etc from that page, and there were no traces of the Search malware mentioned in that document. I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

computer parts posted:

Maybe they think the former would be better equipped for the other technology of the day.

Tech is a system after all; you can send an iPhone to the 1880s but it won't do much without the supporting infrastructure.

Actually other than recharging it, the iPhone is one piece of tech that would be pretty dang useful in any time.

OTOH I am trying to imagine just how useless any operating system would be out of time. The amazing slowness and typing lag of simply running OS X on computer that ran OS 9 blazingly fast was the first round of teaching me why updating is a bad idea in a machine used for production of anything.

In this very thread, there was a person wondering about whether a pretty dang fast computer from 6 years ago would be usable if updated to 10.10, and the general consensus was that yes but only massaged just right.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

gargamale posted:

Thanks for the reply. However, I already removed the Safari history/cache etc from that page, and there were no traces of the Search malware mentioned in that document. I feel like I'm banging my head against the wall.
Tried AdwareMedic Malwarebytes? If you have some type of malware it should hopefully find and fix it instead of manually trying to track down every single suspect.

If it's not malware, have you checked out the console logs to see if there's anything useful there?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

kapalama posted:

Actually other than recharging it, the iPhone is one piece of tech that would be pretty dang useful in any time.

The military would capture it and then only use it to calculate artillery firing solutions.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I tried installing this driver to get my 360 controller working on my 2011 MacBook Pro (2.3ghz i5, 10.10.4) and after working the first time after plugging the controller in, it's now non responsive when plugged in (though it shows up in the control panel) and when I unplug it, the computer goes into a hard reboot. I've got no idea how to troubleshoot this or uninstall the driver; anyone dealt with this by chance?

http://www.tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Well, let's look at his build script

code:
echo "** File contents **"
lipo -info 360Controller/build/Deployment/360Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/360Controller
lipo -info 360Controller/build/Deployment/360Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Feedback360.plugin/Contents/MacOS/Feedback360
lipo -info 360Daemon/build/Release/360Daemon
lipo -info Pref360Control/build/Deployment/Pref360Control.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/Pref360Control
lipo -info Pref360Control/build/Deployment/Pref360Control.prefPane/Contents/Resources/DriverTool
lipo -info WirelessGamingReceiver/build/Release/WirelessGamingReceiver.kext/Contents/MacOS/WirelessGamingReceiver
lipo -info Wireless360Controller/build/Release/Wireless360Controller.kext/Contents/MacOS/Wireless360Controller
echo "** File signatures **"
sudo spctl -a -v 360Controller/build/Deployment/360Controller.kext
sudo spctl -a -v 360Controller/build/Deployment/360Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/Feedback360.plugin
sudo spctl -a -v 360Daemon/build/Release/360Daemon
sudo spctl -a -v Pref360Control/build/Deployment/Pref360Control.prefPane
sudo spctl -a -v Pref360Control/build/Deployment/Pref360Control.prefPane/Contents/Resources/DriverTool
sudo spctl -a -v WirelessGamingReceiver/build/Release/WirelessGamingReceiver.kext
sudo spctl -a -v Wireless360Controller/build/Release/Wireless360Controller.kext
sudo spctl -a -v --type install Install360Controller/build/Install360Controller.pkg
echo "*** DONE ***"
Unload them with, what is it, sudo kextunload, then find Wireless360Controller.kext and delete it, 360Controller.kext and delete it, and WirelessGamingReceiver.kext as well. Also delete the prefpane from your System Preferences by option-clicking it and clicking the Remove option... if the .prefPane file is still around after that, you can feel free to delete that after too.

That's weird though, I use the same driver and it works great for me.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 3, 2015

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
It's one of the few things I removed while trying to diagnose kernel panics a while back :iiam:

It's been fine since, luckily I haven't really needed it or the other stuff I removed.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

GobiasIndustries posted:

I tried installing this driver to get my 360 controller working on my 2011 MacBook Pro (2.3ghz i5, 10.10.4) and after working the first time after plugging the controller in, it's now non responsive when plugged in (though it shows up in the control panel) and when I unplug it, the computer goes into a hard reboot. I've got no idea how to troubleshoot this or uninstall the driver; anyone dealt with this by chance?

http://www.tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

The version on TattieBogle's site hasn't been updated for a couple of years and doesn't work very well on Yosemite. Grab an updated version from here, it's what I use and it works perfectly.

https://github.com/d235j/360Controller/releases

I think you can just install this version over the older one and it will work, but I don't remember with 100% certainty.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

The rear end Stooge posted:

The version on TattieBogle's site hasn't been updated for a couple of years and doesn't work very well on Yosemite. Grab an updated version from here, it's what I use and it works perfectly.

https://github.com/d235j/360Controller/releases

I think you can just install this version over the older one and it will work, but I don't remember with 100% certainty.

Oh well that makes sense; googling didn't pull up the github release so I wasn't sure if the web build was abandoned or what. Installing the updated driver fixed the problem instantly, thank you!

Pivo posted:

Well, let's look at his build script

code:
echo "** File contents **"
echo "*** DONE ***"
Unload them with, what is it, sudo kextunload, then find Wireless360Controller.kext and delete it, 360Controller.kext and delete it, and WirelessGamingReceiver.kext as well. Also delete the prefpane from your System Preferences by option-clicking it and clicking the Remove option... if the .prefPane file is still around after that, you can feel free to delete that after too.

That's weird though, I use the same driver and it works great for me.

Yeah I'm still not sure what exactly happened, it worked totally fine the first time I plugged in the controller, but after unplugging, it never worked again and killed the computer every time I unplugged it. Thanks for your post though, this is good info regarding manually uninstalling stuff that I wasn't aware of before!

Monteunicorn
Jun 19, 2004

carry on then posted:

Plug in an external keyboard and mouse, and close the lid right after you hit the power button. At least that used to work.

Did not work, guessing my only option is to do it in the blind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man so I switched cold turkey back to Safari a few months ago and it's been 99% fine. One bug that I'm seeing is that when I hit the back button or swipe back, sometimes it'll go back to just a blank white page. Is this widespread? It's not TERRIBLY annoying since cmd-R will fix it but sometimes I'm just like :rolleyes: ..