Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Do we know when AGDQ 2016 is aside from "probably January"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rorus Raz posted:

And honestly it doesn't really matter in a marathon and made for a few funny moments.

For WR stuff or general "statistics", there's always the VOD timing so it mostly works anyway.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It wasn't just assholes trying to be Twitch famous or whatever. In fact, I'd be surprised if that was even the main reason.

This a big drat event now, and renting out an equally big room like that costs money. Rental costs along with the extra hassle of trying to break it down while people are still streaming makes it a logistical nightmare. I doubt the extra money they bring in during the bonus stream outweighs the cost of sticking around a few more days.

Oh, and the tech crew probably wants to go to bed and not babysit that beast of a setup for even one more day. The bonus stream was cool, but GDQ has outgrown it.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
So the 1.2 mil goes directly to MSF and not GDQ, right? It's all volunteers?

I'm also trying to do a West Coast Video Game Charity thing in the spring and fall that will hopefully reach at least half the audience of this. Any ideas on how to start?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The whole demon chocobo pushing from the announcer in the Chrono run is really annoying. I wish he'd just realize he should drop it, even though it got money for charity.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Been having to watch these after the fact. Just finished sitting through the Super Metroid Race, wasn't surprised to see a death at Phantoon (though I was surprised by who it was) but that last minute death on Mother Brain was a real heart-breaker.

Any incredible runs or moments from runs I should make sure I don't miss?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Volt Catfish posted:

What a shame assholes ruined the bonus streams.

Ah well, I guess that means I don't have 3+ more days of poo poo to watch.

set up your own stream. let's keep this thing going.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Awful Goons Done Quick

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

stringball posted:

I'll never figure out why there was nipple lasers in a kids(?) game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvSzrxpUlLc

Zorglorfian posted:

I'm also trying to do a West Coast Video Game Charity thing in the spring and fall that will hopefully reach at least half the audience of this. Any ideas on how to start?
Yes, when you donate the paypal goes directly to Médecins Sans Frontières.

Twitch also says that all of the channel sub revenue during the marathon all goes towards the charity as well, though obviously not directly.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 2, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Were there any really bad runs this year? The only one I saw that was really awful was, ofcourse, the guy that got banned, but everything else I watched was at least decent.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The only other I've heard of is Kirby's Avalanche, which was bad but not nearly on the same level as the Crash 2 run.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Zorglorfian posted:

Yes, the donations go directly to MSF. No, organizers and tech crew are paid though runners are volunteers.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
What are the best runs of the year? I've watched a few I was interested in but what are the ones I should definitely check out? From what I've seen the best of the year goes to the Cheetos run.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

cryptoclastic posted:

What are the best runs of the year? I've watched a few I was interested in but what are the ones I should definitely check out? From what I've seen the best of the year goes to the Cheetos run.
I'd say the Cybernetic Combo of Deus Ex Human Revolution and Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 are the best

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9lL48m6sdQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eORFUXET_ig

Big John's Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels as the most affable run since last time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dZL0ykBN0c

Tetris Block as the most insane skill ever seen since last time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XHa3adhVM

Mega Man 4 race as the best race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C1HLFU3Oj4

Roundabout as the requisite really silly goon game on the block

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVn5WLohKUM

For a more comprehensive list:

Rorus Raz posted:

I've been keeping a list of good runs throughout the week, so here it is. An asterisk (*) denotes dev commentary, and a cross (†) denotes a WR. Obviously I don't have everything and some of these are just based on goon reactions (no idea if TASBot was good this year).

• Yoshi's island
  • Sonic Boom
  • Donkey Kong Country Glitch%
  • Donkey Kong Country 3
  • Maui Mallard (†)
  • Mickey Mania
  • Ghosts & Goblins Block (includes the Maldita Castilla run)
  • Gauntlet (PC)
  • Toejam & Earl
  • Ninja Baseball Batman
  • Tetris Block
  • Rayman
  • Metroid Prime 2
  • Mega Man X2
  • Castlevania SotN
  • Ori and the Blind Forest (*)
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Ecco Tides of Time
  • Gunstar Heroes
  • Freedom Planet
  • Earthbound
  • Prince of Persia
  • Hello Kitty Roller Racer
  • Chester Cheetah
  • Roundabout (*) (†)
  • Shovel Knight (*)
  • Mega Man 4
  • Mega Man & Bass
  • Halo 3
  • Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
  • Donkey Kong 64
  • Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  • Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
  • I Wanna Be the Boshy
  • Super Mario Bros. - The Lost Levels
  • Luigi's Mansion
  • Pokemon Blue
  • Pokemon Blue Blindfolded Race
  • Pokemon Puzzle League
  • Wind Waker
  • Link to the Past
  • Super Mario 64 Any%
  • Super Mario 64 100% (more noteworthy for hitting the $1,000,000 mark)
  • Super Metroid

Only clunkers I've heard of are Crash 2 and (to a much lesser extent) Kirby's Avalanche, so just about any run with a game you're interested in will probably be a decent watch.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Aug 2, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cardboard Box A posted:

For a more comprehensive list:

The WR mark on Roundabout just makes the whole list. :allears:

Also the dev commentary on Roundabout is amazing.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

Ekster posted:

Were there any really bad runs this year? The only one I saw that was really awful was, ofcourse, the guy that got banned, but everything else I watched was at least decent.

I missed the crash 2 run is it available anywhere??

Did nobody catch the MK64 run because this is blowing my mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAKkw71ff3U

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Here's the Crash 2 run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_dAdD9z9KA

It doesn't look like GDQ backed it up.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I also thought Star Tropics was an interesting run, well explained, interesting tricks

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Throwing out a direct shoutout to the Prince of Persia run, it's something special.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Judging by the liveposts itt it sounds like I need to man up and watch the chrono trigger run (over several sittings)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

ulvir posted:

Judging by the liveposts itt it sounds like I need to man up and watch the chrono trigger run (over several sittings)

The tech is surprising in a lot of places and the amount of planning that went into it is obviously extensive, but if you're not already familiar with the game you'll probably quickly grow tired of 'oopsy made a mistake oh wait no we didn't~' and the sometimes fumbling explanations of what they're doing. I enjoyed having it on in the background, but I'm not sure how interesting or easy it would be to follow for (the handful of) people who haven't played it.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

People haven't really been mentioning the Luigi's Mansion race, which was pretty boring overall but something funny did happen near the end, link here: https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick/v/9239683?t=4h56m16s

pay attention to the runner on the left, for context it's a 100% race

dude talks about tactics to avoid missing one of the most important drops in the game WHILE HE MISSES IT HIMSELF

edit: and yeah I'm not sure Chrono Trigger is really worth watching if you aren't a fan of the game (but who isn't), at least have something else on because it's a long 5 hours, the most impressive part is that they've somehow managed to memorize the pseudo-RNG for the whole run.

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Aug 2, 2015

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Zorglorfian posted:

Mostly, yes. GDQ does have some staff, and I'm not sure where their funding comes from. But most of the people who do the work for those 7 days are volunteers. The donation screeners, hosts (donation readers), and day-to-day tech crew are mostly unpaid volunteers. In fact, I volunteered and still had to pay forty bucks for the pass (not complaining, it was a fun time).

I don't think I would travel just to attend/volunteer at the event. But if it's back in the Twin Cities again in the future, I would definitely volunteer again.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I thought TASbot this year was a little disappointing. Good on the technical front to explain how everything was done, but not as cool as last year's.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So what's everyone's top three picks?

I only watched three runs myself, Tetris, Prince of Persia blooper run, and Banjo Tooie, and I would suggest watching all of them.

It's Lost Levels, Maldita Castilla, and personal preference for the third.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Rorus Raz posted:

It wasn't just assholes trying to be Twitch famous or whatever. In fact, I'd be surprised if that was even the main reason.

This a big drat event now, and renting out an equally big room like that costs money. Rental costs along with the extra hassle of trying to break it down while people are still streaming makes it a logistical nightmare. I doubt the extra money they bring in during the bonus stream outweighs the cost of sticking around a few more days.

Oh, and the tech crew probably wants to go to bed and not babysit that beast of a setup for even one more day. The bonus stream was cool, but GDQ has outgrown it.

Yeah this was the reason Mike and Romscout gave.

If someone really wants a bonus stream, arrange to have it at a different location and do something like the old GDQ's at Mike's house or whatever for a few days with runners that couldn't make it to the actual GDQ.

edit

Zorglorfian posted:

Oh good, let's have this argument again. All large nonprofits pay people to raise money. Mike, Romscout, UA, the tech people, etc are paid, but it isn't necessarily taken out of the money they raised this week. Basically, MSF believes that the GDQs raise enough money that it's worth paying a few people to raise that money for them each year. Same thing with the PCF in January.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 2, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Have the bonus stream in your own hotel rooms on your own channels

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
bonus stream was a good thing when the event was small

it shouldnt be a thing anymore imho

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The rental rare for the conference room would have been reduced, and possibly comped, based on the number of room nights agreed to in the SGDQ contract.

Since that contract is done, the reduced rate is gone. Most people are leaving today.

So keeping the conference room just to let some kids try to get twitch cred could potentially cost more per day than it did to rent the place for the actual event.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Quest For Glory II posted:

Have the bonus stream in your own hotel rooms

I am but you're not allowed to post homegrown anymore.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sir Tonk posted:

Yeah this was the reason Mike and Romscout gave.

If someone really wants a bonus stream, arrange to have it at a different location and do something like the old GDQ's at Mike's house or whatever for a few days with runners that couldn't make it to the actual GDQ.

edit

Oh good, let's have this argument again. All large nonprofits pay people to raise money. Mike, Romscout, UA, the tech people, etc are paid, but it isn't necessarily taken out of the money they raised this week. Basically, MSF believes that the GDQs raise enough money that it's worth paying a few people to raise that money for them each year. Same thing with the PCF in January.

I just remembered, wasn't one of the years at Essentia's house, with one of the chairs just covered in plushies?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo the Mega Man 4 run does not disappoint https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C1HLFU3Oj4

A very, very good race.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Shady Amish Terror posted:

The tech is surprising in a lot of places and the amount of planning that went into it is obviously extensive, but if you're not already familiar with the game you'll probably quickly grow tired of 'oopsy made a mistake oh wait no we didn't~' and the sometimes fumbling explanations of what they're doing. I enjoyed having it on in the background, but I'm not sure how interesting or easy it would be to follow for (the handful of) people who haven't played it.

It's pretty much my favourite RPG on the Snes without exception.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Also watch the Dark Souls 2 2 people 1 controller run. Great run that went surprisingly smooth given the conditions.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Wheel of Time, Ecco, and Rayman runs were all really solid. Nothing particularly special mind you, but difficult games done by people who really know the game inside out and can explain it competently while running.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Ekster posted:

Also watch the Dark Souls 2 2 people 1 controller run. Great run that went surprisingly smooth given the conditions.

It was really impressive just how in sync with eachother the two guys were. Black out all the *GDQ overlay+runner cam, and you'd think it was just one person doing the run.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Rorus Raz posted:

Well, they should go back to holding it in someone's livingroom again. :v: (Man, that feels like so long ago...)

Anyway, I think this was the best GDQ yet. I think I say that every time, but there were a lot of notable improvements in things this time. Other than the sound mixing, of course.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Well, they should go back to holding it in someone's livingroom again. :v: (Man, that feels like so long ago...)

Are there actually any marathons at that scale nowadays? It seems like there's no middle ground between marathons at the massive ESA/GDQ level and marathons that are just held over skype.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
You need to take Witwix's idea of people running a game and donating for every death and create a IWTB* block come next AGDQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

NRVNQSR posted:

Are there actually any marathons at that scale nowadays? It seems like there's no middle ground between marathons at the massive ESA/GDQ level and marathons that are just held over skype.
RPG Limit Break is at Essentia's house, like the earliest SGDQs.

• Locked thread