Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

RareAcumen posted:

Not anymore it doesn't :smuggo:

:argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Once again, we return to this game. And on leaving Cynos, we're stopped by Ines.

Oh. Great. Come to collect us already? Listen, we had a deal: We work for you AFTER my sister's back to normal!
Please. I'm a tough negotiator, but I'm not THAT heartless. Anyway, it seems like you're putting my Soma to good use.
Huh? How'd you know?
Nothing escapes the eyes of Ines Lorenzen! Let's just call it a little trade secret, shall we? And speaking of which, if you're thinking of wandering off with my Soma, that would be a very, very bad idea.
What? We wouldn't dream of doing something like that!
Yeah, what the kid said. I always keep my word.
Well, I certainly hope so. It's valuable Wanderlust property, after all, so I need to be sure. Oh, but there is one more teeny thing. Word on the street is that you're heading south to Hanselar.

Anyway, to get there, you have to make it through a bad area where rookies like you could run into trouble.

I'm starting to think we've made a deal with the devil.

Here's the other thing I mentioned earlier that I would love to be included in Tales games - it tells you when sidequests open up, with skits like this one. Typically they play after a town, which is standard fare - but it also reminds you occasionally to go check out other places where sidequests have opened up.

He said he wanted to confront his fears. I can't help but worry about the guy, though. Maybe we should go check on him?

And back into Cynos we go.

As you can see, the ladder we climbed for our first life bottle has a quest lady past it.

Are you trying to say something?! It looks like you're shouting, but I can't hear because of the waterfall!
EXCUSE ME! ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY SOMETHING?!

Chatty Lady: I know I blurt out the odd thing I shouldn't, but I don't do it on purpose! Heck, everyone does that, am I right? And anyway, everyone always looks at me like they want to know what I know, so what am I supposed to do? Anyway, I feel kind of bad about it, so I'm trying not to gossip nearly as much as I usually do. Which is a lot. That's why I've come behind the waterfall and shout all the secrets I've been keeping bottled up inside me. Good plan, huh? I swear, if I didn't do this, I'd probably get sick from the stress of keeping all these juicy rumors in my own head. Oo! And speaking of sick, did you hear the latest word about despir? It seems that girl, Uran, was actually-

It cuts to black here. Thank gently caress.

Everyone's right. You do talk too much.

Chatty Lady: I never! Or maybe I do. Anyway, I'd like to give you a little something as thanks for letting me bend your ear.

She loving lies. If you pick the 10,000 gald option, you get 100 gald. That's not even a random battle even this early in the game.

Chatty Lady: The secret, eh? Oh, what a sly dog. You're as bad as me! Okay, don't tell anyone this, but remember that thug you had a run-in with back in the plaza?

Chatty Lady: Honestly, I don't know how he grew up into such a bad egg. I just can't wrap my head around it. Someone should talk to his parents! Or me, I guess. Maybe I should just talk to myself. That might work. He used to be such a gentle boy. All he ever wanted was to go outside and see the ducks. But now he's grown into an angry duckling! Or some other bird that's angrier. Maybe an ostrich. Oh! Speaking of-

Chatty Lady: Oh dear. Really? That's a shame. I was about to launch into the most wonderful little anecdote!

Yeah, no. No way. Stop. Please. I gotta go.

RUN KOR! RUN THE gently caress AWAY!

Anyway, you guys might remember the area with the stall and the dock from earlier - pretty sure I took a picture of it. There's a sidequest there now that activates as we approach it and all I got was a picture of a black screen.

Traveling Merchant: Eeek! S-Sorry!

Traveling Merchant: "Blocking customers"? Hah! They must be invisible customers, because I sure don't see any.

Did you say meteorite fragments?

Traveling Merchant: Sure did. Cynos is famous for 'em. Folks say they're bits of a shooting star that came down in these parts. I came here from Straga, you know? One of my best customers made a special request.
That could be a Spiria Core shard, Sis! Are you sensing anything nearby?
I don't know.

From now on, by the way, Kohaku goes between kind and dull, and scared out of her loving wits. This range will expand as we get more of her shards.

Traveling Merchant: I'm sure the fellow running the duck boat knows where to look. But I'm not asking that lunatic anything ever again!

Hisui's right-they could be Kohaku's Spiria Core shards. We need to find these meteorite fragments!

No. Kor, this makes no sense. If this town is famous for meteorite fragments then it was made famous before you guys ever got here, which means it was famous before Kohaku's Spiria Core broke. This makes no sense. You're... not listening are you?

Bad Egg: Aw, hell! it's you! Don't thump me again! Who put you up to it, huh?! Who told you to poke fun at me?!

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. We just want to know where to find meteorite fragments.

This guy's nuttier than an almond! It must be despir.
Maybe if we do a Spiria Link we can figure out where the meteorite fragments are.

This will come up a few more times in sidequests. Sidequest Spira Links don't become full fledged Spira Mazes, but rather you leap right into the core, sometimes fight off a random encounter level monster, and have a scene. This fight was basically a rehash of enemies in Euclase's Spira Maze.

Bad Egg: Ugh. Uuugh. Don't be so harsh. I know. I shouldn't lose my temper so quick, but it's no good. I'm-I'm just a lily-livered, good-for-nothin' loser! Waaaaaaaah!

Aw, don't cry! The xeroms are gone, see? You're going to be fine.

Pfft. Grown man crying like that? Embarrassing if you ask me. What's a head case like you doing working a duck boat, anyway?

Hisui, I wouldn't talk. I've seen the end of this game. You have so much embarrassing poo poo.

Bad Egg: It was the only time in my life when I was ever popular. Guys like me? Guys everyone hates? We know how unpopular we are. But I wanna change! I wanna be the guy everyone likes, which is why I set up my own real duck boat ride business. But everyone's so freakin' scared of me, I ain't had a single customer yet. It's drivin' me crazy, I tell ya! Come on! Somebody ride a duck! Aw, drat it! DAMNIT TO HELL!

But you can't give up. People will eventually come to trust you.

Bad Egg: You think so? Even a guy like me?

Of course! In fact, I think I want a ride on your duck boat.

Bad Egg: Aw, look at that smile! That's what everyone looked like when I let 'em play with my toy duck boat as kids.

A duck-boat pass?

Bad Egg: Yessir! With that, you can ride the duck boat as much as you like, whenever you like!

No one gives a rip about your boat! We just need to know where the meteorite fragments are!

Hisui, you are terrible at convincing people.

Bad Egg: You gotta get on my boat for that. But don't paddle south, or you'll end up drifting out to sea.

Got it. Thanks!

We can now ride a duckboat!

The duckboat ate us. :3:

It won't let us go south, either.

If like me you realized the map displayed all of a city the first time you entered it, you probably wondered how you were going to get here - we're the blue duck over to the far left.

Are you sensing anything, Kohaku?
No, nothing.
So it ain't your Spiria Core? This was a drat waste of time!

The other chest has 3 Orange Gels. We get back on the boat and go back.

So far as I know there's no benefit to saying no.

Handed: Meteorite Fragments

Traveling Merchant: Oh, thank you! Now let me fix you up for it.

Actually, we don't want your money. But maybe you could give the duck-boat guy a few business tips? He comes across as a bad egg but, like an egg, he's actually got a heart of gold.

A box without hinges, key, or lid...

Traveling Merchant: Y-You mean that scary man? Well, I suppose it's the least I can do in exchange for your help.

It wasn't for nothing! It will help the duck-boat guy make something of himself.

Bad Egg: I could learn a thing or two from 'em. Gotta keep goin' until folks trust ya. Well, I ain't givin' up yet!

Please don't take moral lessons from ducks. They're amoral sociopathic rapists, and you're already shaking the stigma of being a "Bad Egg".

Next stop:

Euclase's house.

loving STILL with this poo poo, Euclase? We literally ripped a loving HORROR FROM BEYOND out of your GODDAMNED SKULL and you are STILL loving GOING ON WITH THIS poo poo?!

Euclase: How can I make myself worthy of a woman so wonderful as yourself?

Give me a break, pal! Enough with the sap routine already! Don't make us do a Spiria Link and kick your butt from the inside out!

So yeah, that's exactly what we do.

Is that Euclase?

No, that's just the manifestation of his Spiria.

Euclase: Alas and alack! Woe is me! How can I ever make myself worthy of Uran?!

If you can't find a little fire deep in your Spiria, what else have you got?!

Weak nipples?

How's a sad sack like you supposed to protect his girl, huh? If you like her, you're worthy of her, and that's the end of the discussion. NOW GET A FREAKIN' GRIP ALREADY!

Euclase: I love Uran! I love her with all my soul!

Euclase: And when I do, it shall be my ring, and I will finally propose to Uran! It won't be long now, my love!

NOW you're cooking with gas! That's what we wanna see!

You're going to be fine, Euclase. And you've actually inspired me to hone my own Spiria, too!

Welp. Guess she didn't wanna wait around. Sorry, Euclase.

...:sigh: I gotta do it sometime, right?

She's flapping her arms like a duck here.

Have you, erm, lost something?

???: Dear dear dear dear de- Hey, what's that you've got there? Let me see that. That's a Namcoin!

Sorry? A "Namcoin"?

???: That's right. There are just seventy-six of them in the whole world. They're super rare! Um, you wouldn't, um, let me have that one, would you?

Sure, if you want it that bad.

???: Wow! Thanks! Oh, I'm sorry, I should've introduced myself sooner. I'm Citrine.

Hi, I'm Kor. Nice to meet you.

Citrine: Huh? Oh dear dear, I totally forgot. I must give you something to thank you for the Namcoin.

Hey, don't worry about it. It's just something I picked up.

Citrine: No, I won't hear of it. Have this.

Citrine: And, um, if you happen to come across any more Namcoins on your travels, I don't suppose I could? Don't worry, I'd give you something in return.

Yeah, okay, if I find any more, I'll bring them to you. There's no point me holding on to them, anyway.

Citrine: Oh dear dear, you are a dear! Thank you! I travel around myself looking for them, so who knows where we'll next meet?

So here's the deal with Namcoins: You find them basically everywhere. You get a reward for the first coin when you activate the sidequest, and you get a reward for every 5 more you bring to her. These rewards get progressively better. Also, as she said, she'll be in basically every town now so you don't have to go very far to hunt her down to hand them in. All told, a relatively painless sidequest, but ... finding all the Namcoins with some of these dungeons. :sigh:

Anyways, there's one last thing I've yet to show off - the purpose of inns. You get a Skit-alike for staying at Inns sometimes, depending on where you are in the story.

Sure am. I had a little time before my next gig, and I thought a good night's sleep wouldn't go amiss. How fares the young lady?
She was pretty beat, so she's sleeping up in the room.
Travel can be quite exhausting when you're not used to it. Well, I'm about to get dinner. Wanna come? It's my treat.
Oh geez. That's really nice, but we were going to eat in the room.
Yeah, thanks for the chow invite, but I ain't comfortable leaving her there all alone, yeah?
Too bad. Maybe next time, then. Have a good night!
There's going to be a next time?
Just get back to the room, kid!

You can actually get multiple ones in a row if they're queued up. We spend another 50 gald to get the last one for now out of the way.

Looks like we're gonna be sleeping with the lights on for a while.
That's fine.
See, Kohaku? it's bright as the sun in here. You can go to sleep now.
Scared to sleep alone.
Want me to come in there with you?
Yes.
All right. No need to worry, I'm right beside you.

Did you sleep together as kids?
Hey! Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself!
Fine! Good night!

Please remember the 'don't be a creep rule', thanks.

That takes care of all the odds and ends in Cynos, and you know what? This is actually a pretty good-sized update, so I'm gonna end it here. Next time we get to the best character in the game. Promise.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 31, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
There are a few spots that need some correcting.

RelentlessImp posted:

Oh, but therei s one more teeny thing.
image013.jpg

It looks lik eyou're shouting, but I can't hear because of the waterfall!

It will help the duck-boat guy make something of himelf.

Bad Egg:Gotta keep goin' until fokls trust ya.

I had a little time before my next gig, and I thought a godo night's sleep wouldn't go amiss.
Those Namcoins remind me of mini medals from the Dragon Quest games.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

There are a few spots that need some correcting.
:ninja: I don't know what you're talking about.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Those Namcoins remind me of mini medals from the Dragon Quest games.

Yeah, basically. They're our Collectathon for this game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man they really should've held back on giving her the intense fear shard. Ah well. Many bad decisions have and will continue to be made, I'm sure.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!
Kindness and now scared stupid? I was really hoping to see the heroine be all badass (and speaking of asses, kicking Hisui's was a good start during their first meeting with him), but it's like the story wanted her to be every Tales' main girl ever.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wonder what the next one they find is going to be. For some reason I can't shake the feeling that it's going to be something stupid like hungry.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Digital Jello posted:

Kindness and now scared stupid? I was really hoping to see the heroine be all badass (and speaking of asses, kicking Hisui's was a good start during their first meeting with him), but it's like the story wanted her to be every Tales' main girl ever.

I stand by my assessment that they wanted to turn Kohaku into a Disney princess - one of the early ones, like Cinderella and Belle.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

RelentlessImp posted:

I stand by my assessment that they wanted to turn Kohaku into a Disney princess - one of the early ones, like Cinderella and Belle.

Belle is one of the modern ones. And does this mean Kohaku is going to sing at some point?

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
She may be due to do something equally horrifying.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That'd be one thing that Tales games haven't made a trope yet. Songs.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

RareAcumen posted:

That'd be one thing that Tales games haven't made a trope yet. Songs.

Then this would really be Tales of Hearts R Tonelico....

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Logicblade posted:

Then this would really be Tales of Hearts R Tonelico....

That pun was so bad it makes me wanna close the thread til Monday. :P

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
So far, Ines is reminding me of Judith. Shame about Kohaku, though. She had promise at the start. Now she's just another fem-husk.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Ines did say we'd have to pass through a bad area on the way. Maybe this is what she was talking about.
Hisui, I... don't like... this place...
Easy, Kohaku. Just stick with me. You got nothing to fear with your brother leading the way.
And you! Stop shaking in your boots before you scare my sister more! Now grow a pair and get moving.

Welcome to our first transitional dungeon. We'll be obligated to come back here a couple of times, actually, but our first time through it's fairly straight forward - follow a linear path, deviate to get a treasure or two.

We grab that chest and come to this transition glow, which made me wonder WHY the first time through. I honestly thought we were teleporting. But no, I guess it's just to point out the screen transitions on a busy portable screen.

A straight path. OR IS IT?!

Those pillars of leaves actually block your progress, but none are actually in the way. They're just solid. Kind of neat in motion, though.

Across the tree-trunk bridge we find another Universal Headgear item.

It increases Will Attack and TP. So, something I haven't gone into is what the stats mean. They seem pretty self-explanatory, but P. ATK and W. ATK I can understand people not getting. P. ATK increases the damage of basic combos and Soma Artes, which are most of the physical artes. Will Attack increases damage of Will Artes - most castable Artes and elemental-based Artes.

I tend to equip most characters with balanced Somas that increase P. ATK and W. ATK the most so they can use their subjectively best Artes. I make an exception in precisely two cases, one of whom we'll see soon.

Just showing there were two ways up.

Forward!

Everyone ready to meet this game's best character?

Too bad. These guys are common enemies and are your introduction to Guard Counters. These are your practice for this - sometimes, and a lot of the time for bosses, enemies will turn red, a sound will play, and they'll stop staggering and nail you with a solid chunk of damage. If you press Square to block right before they hit you, you interrupt their attack, make them stagger again, and can continue your combo. Basically they do this to interrupt your combo chains.

I'm out of practice doing it, but you can basically just never-ending combo a boss once you're good at it. Til they Overlimit, anyways.

Just dragging it out a bit more. But we finally go to that bridge in the distance.

Aw, c'mon. There's barely a bridge to be scared of.

N-No... I can't...
Remember how you crossed those rapids earlier? Come on, you gotta try. Otherwise we'll never make Hanselar.
I... just can't... I can't...

VERY helpful insight, professor! Too bad a certain somebody had to go and smash her Spiria to bits.
Please... no yelling... Don't like it... when you... yell...
Maybe we should just stop for a minute and try to understand Kohaku's feelings.

And now she's scared of me! How's THAT for understanding?!
I'm sorry.

:allears: Here we go folks. Say hello to my favorite character. We leap into FMV land to introduce him.

There's a glow on his axe and in Kohaku. Then he puts his weapons away.

We gotta get her across the bridge, see? That's why me and the kid here were-
What? That's all?

Oh, I'm sure you'd like me to. But I'm afraid this is just the way things are gonna go down.

Stop gawking and start walking.

Screen goes black. When we come back, we're on the other side. :allears: ??? is not taking any of your poo poo.

When you found us, we were trying to cross that bridge, but her illness was causing problems.
Tough rap.
So we're glad you helped us out, but I think you went a bit overboard. I mean, poor Kohaku almost-
Your concern is admirable, but this was the only option available at the time. We'll do it your way next time, okay? You can't expect folks to do things you can't hack yourself. Otherwise you're in for a world of hurt.
I guess.

How can you tell?

That's longer than I've been alive! But hey, in that case-
Hey, yeah. Maybe you'd...
Come with us?
Come on! You gotta! For my sister's sake!

Don't pretend. You just want that hep cat comin' along to lighten your groove, daddy-o.

Aren't you two a hoot? Ready to bash each other's faces in one minute, and finishing each other's sentences the next.

I suck at capturing it - both Hisui and Kor bow to him while asking for his help.

Frankly, I wasn't waiting for you to ask me. Why do you think I came with you? I was going to help from the word go. But I want three hots and a cot. Deal?
Deal. Oh, and I'm Hisui. Hisui Hearts. This is my sister, Kohaku.
I'm Kor Meteor. And you are?

Pleased to meet you, Mr. Gruner.
Call me Gall.

Seems the little lady's back in the land of the living.
Are you okay, Sis?
Hisui...? Yes... I'm fine.
Aw, that was just a little love tap. This kind of thing's my job, remember?
Sure. 'Course.
Next stop: Hanselar. If we acn get out of here without dying, that is. Come on, gents! On your feet!

:allears:

So, Gall. His Soma is kind of unique compared to the other characters, as his actually takes the form of a giant butcher knife/machete and an axe. They are contained in those orbs on his shoulders. Typically, at this point on a new game, you would get a tutorial on using Gall's Axe Artes, which are unique to him, and him alone.

Basically, Gall fights mostly with the machete, and has certain Artes that use his Axe. His Axe gets thrown out, and you can use the Axe Arte repeatedly to juggle an enemy with the thrown axe, controlled by what I can only assume is psychokinesis. You can chain multiple Axe Artes to hit from multiple directions and absolutely wreck the enemy.

I am terrible at using Axe Artes. I will be letting the AI do it, because it can do some amazing stuff if you leave Gall on aggressive with a Soma heavy style - like keep an enemy juggled for thirty seconds.

Giving truth to what I said earlier, here's Gall before I spend any of his points.

Spending most of his points to catch him up to Hisui and Kor so you can see what a couple levels of Soma Build is really worth.

Multiple links look pretty.

Note that 'Sharable at 1 Star'. This is the point of Soma Bonds, which I'll go into soon.

So we have SKITS! SKITS! SKITS!

What's up?
I was just wondering. Why did you agree to join a group of people you just met?
Maybe I'm just a kind, old cat who can't ignore a little lady with despir.

The choice doesn't matter, but I like to think Kor is just awed by this guy. Also, I like the dialogue of this choice better.
Well, that's good enough for me.
Trust comes easily to you, does it?

Yeah, that's pretty much every Tales protagonist, Gall.

I won't ever turn my back on a person suffering from despir. But my reasons are my own, dig?
They are?
Hey, relax. I'm not going to chop you up and eat you or anything. Maybe I'll even tell the whole story at some point.

Next skit.

Compared to an old-man veteran like you, maybe. Hell, I only bought this thing a couple of days ago.
I just got mine as well. Gramps gave it to me.
Impressive. It took me almost two months before I could even manifest a weapon from my Soma. At the time, that was considered fast. You two must be quite talented. You can hold your heads high. Just don't let 'em swell up, dig?
Seriously, don't let those Somas go to your heads. I don't want to be a friendly-fire casualty.

Like two steps after this, we get a random encounter and Kor gets a new Soma.

So does Gall. I like the look of this!

Gall fulfills our Kratos role. He's our Magic Knight, blending spellcasting with some heavy-hitting Soma Artes. I would say the game is lying to you by making him look like a caster, but he gets the second-strongest castable Will Artes in the game, right behind our next party member. The problem is choosing whether you want him to rip things apart with his Soma artes or blowing things up. It's a tougher decision than you might think.

Anyway, we've got two more skits before plot intervenes.

I'm his grandson!
Interesting. You know, your grandfather may have been the greatest Somatic of his day.
Did you know Gramps?
Only by his reputation as a genius Somatic who flew the coop fifteen or sixteen years ago. But everyone knows that story. And you're his grandson? Hmm. Well, I guess blood will tell.

Hm. You could take that two ways, couldn't you? Let's just hope he's referring to the Somatic part, not the 'flew the coop' bit.

I don't like strangers. But...
Old man? Now that's horsefeathers! I'm younger and groovier than the whole lot of you cats.
It's okay. I'm not scared anymore. His eyes are like yours.

Again with the old man business! Well, at least admit that I'm young in spirit, eh?

So, the 'old man' business is actually sort of justified. You might expect Gall to be the ancient age of 30, given this is a jRPG with protagonist of 16, 17, and 18 so far, right?

Gall is 45, which is practically ANCIENT by jRPG standards. Nearly tripling Kor's age, he is the oldest party member by far.

This thing is... kind of odd to show up in a game like this one, with the TC system and the ability to just jam the same arte over and over. This thing has, in the past, been used for one of two things - to let people chain Arte->Arcane->Arte->Arcane together easily, or to let people cruise through combat just jamming the Arte button.

This is how it changes your Arte screen.

So I know I promised Manic, but this upcoming boss fight is ... kind of ridiculous. I'll swap to Manic with a full party a little later, when I have the grinding and stats capable of handling it. I hope nobody's super disappointed.

Our next screen. Get ready for more :words:

Nothing ever goes wrong when you encounter things that are clearly ruins of some past civilization, right?

This save point I'm going to be seeing a lot of.

What's that back there?

Hm. Yeah, we won't be seeing what these are for til endgame.

Down there is where we'll be spending the rest of this update.

New Soma for Gall again. It's pink! The old man is comfortable with his masculinity.

Hisui has the most Somas so far, but nothing is better than Squall yet.

Everyone ready to meet an rear end in a top hat?

We have to... stop...
Hisui, she's panicking again.
All right. Let's hunker down here and rest a while.
No... Not here... I'm... scared!
Kohaku?
The girl is right to be jittery. This neck of the woods is none too friendly.

FMV land, hooooooo!

???: Was I not clear, peasants? Eh?!

Gall is not having any of your poo poo, dog.

Not half as impressive as you and that flying Soma.
???: Hmph!

Boy? You look almost as young as me! Are you not getting enough air up there or something?

???: Apologies. I had not thought to treat every fool who traipses merrily through these dangerous woods as an equal. Excluding the lady and swordsman there, of course. They seem far more clever than you.

:allears: Gall is not having any of your poo poo, birdman.
Hey! That explains Kohaku's hysteria back there, huh?

Another... stranger...?

???: A pity. The girl seems to be suffering from despir. If you wish, I can cure her with my Soma. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Chalcedony Akerman, of the Order of the Valentin Crystal Knights.

The Valentin Crystal Knights?

Metal Ge- :commissar:

Thanks for the offer, but we're good on our Soma quota. Take your church's self-righteous pity somewhere else.

Chalcedony: I take it you are Somatics yourselves, then? I was not aware peasants in the outskirts still possessed Somas. Nevertheless, your inability to protect this lone maiden in spite of your numbers is nothing short of astounding.

Not that you'd have noticed. All of you shining-armor church types tend to charge in without checking the facts.

:allears: Still not taking your poo poo, Chalcedony.

Amen to that. Time to butt out, blondie!

H-Hey, you two! What's the deal?

Chalcedony: Perish, villain!

Chalcedony bounces off of the guy. There's even a 'ting' sound effect.

Chalcedony: Understood.

You two! Get out your Somas and start looking useful! It's showtime!

So, Grim Keeper and Grim Reaper. This fight is HARD your first time through. Grim Reaper will keep getting back up every time you knock it down after you wail on Grim Keeper for a bit. Unfortunately, Grim Reaper is loving PAINFUL, so you have to try to gauge whether or not it's worth ripping into Grim Reaper and ignore Grim Keeper and trying to damage race down, or try to control Grim Reaper by keeping it knocked out while you slowly whittle down Grim Reaper.

This is basically how it looks with three close characters with the fact that Grim Keeper has an uninterruptable attack where he drops a white-purple flame to the ground that, after half a second, becomes a multi-hit circle of fire that HURTS. I bash my head against this guy for a while.

I see this scene about four times before I give up and switch to controlling Gall and changing the difficulty to Normal for this fight. We don't get to level Chalcedony's Soma Build, and this guy is meant to be a roadblock.

First try after I switch to Normal and start controlling Gall.
Looks like we're all about okay.
Wow. So this is Soma power.
Gah. Can't believe we let that Crystal Knight jerk help us.

Gall's level up pose. Smug bastard.

Chalcedony: May the light shine upon your Spiria and bless it with divine benevolence always.

May my... Spiria... be blessed...?

Chalcedony: These phenomena are doubtless intertwined. Therefore, I must uncover the truth behind the explosion.

Uh... hey, about that... Chalcedony leaves anyways. Phew.

His skill for annoying me is even better! Ol' fancy-pants can go suck a lemon. I'll be better than him in no time.
I'll hold you to those words, boy. Now what say we make like my hair and part before more monsters arrive.

Couple more skits before we're done.

The Order of Valentin Crystal Knights. The Valentin Church is the state religion of the world-spanning Maximus Empire. And the Crystal Knights are their private army. They wield Somas issued and blessed by the church itself.
Buncha holy thugs is what they are! They use those Somas to conquer the world and crush all other religions!

They seem like jerks.
You got that right! Almost as bad as the guy who hacked my poor sister's Spiria into little tiny bits!

You did some kinda weird juju, and then we were able to hit it. What's your deal, huh?
Oh, that old trick. I just made it so the laws of physics from its world jive with those in your world. Or, to put it more simply, I made your attacks effective.

Don't you just love it when the old codger's explanations make sense but don't make sense?

Huh? That ain't no answer at all! I know what you DID, yeah? What I wanna know is HOW!

I remember being your age. You think every question has a satisfying answer somewhere. But some questions have no answers, and some shouldn't even be asked. Accepting that is part of growing up. Make sense?
Yeah, I dunno. I guess.

So finally, let's have an explanation of Soma Bonds.

Having stronger bonds between characters allows them to share skills. For example, at Soma Bond Level 1 between Kor and Hisui, Kor gets Hisui's Stun Extender while Hisui gets Kor's Body Guard 1.

Soma Bonds are reciprocal, and go up slowly the more characters are in the same party with each other for combats. You get a bigger boost for getting a bond strengthened via skits, but most of the Soma Bond level increases you'll see will come from combats - with significantly larger boosts for fighting together against a boss.

Anyways, that's all for today. See you next time as we advance the plot!

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 2, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RelentlessImp posted:

Those pillars of leave actually block your progress, but none are actually in the way. They're just solid. Kind of neat in motion, though.

I tend to equip most characters with balanced Somas that increase P. ATK and W. ATK the most so they can use their subjectively best Artes. I make an exception in precisely two cases, one of whom we'll see soon.[/i]

Those should be leaves and which, respectively. You're making less and less errors as you pump these out so great work!

Gall is great, and it's amazing that we've got multiple people who started using Richter's weapon style of axe and sword in the same year.

I must've missed it somewhere along the way earlier because I don't remember seeing people getting new Soma weapons. I thought it was going to be like Swordians for some reason. I'm glad I was wrong and that you actually get different looking weapons that just get stored in the Soma.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 2, 2015

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

As I'm referring to characters, whom is the appropriate one there.

RareAcumen posted:

I must've missed it somewhere along the way earlier because I don't remember seeing people getting new Soma weapons. I thought it was going to be like Swordians for some reason. I'm glad I was wrong and that you actually get different looking weapons that just get stored in the Soma.

I guess I wasn't super clear, but yeah, you get Somas for leveling the Soma Build.

Also, Gall only gets better from here. :allears: Just wait til he meets Ines for the first time.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 2, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RelentlessImp posted:

As I'm referring to characters, whom is the appropriate one there.

Ah, I thought you were talking about the armor and not a character. Okay then.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I played the original back on the DS, so Gall's completely new to me (So's this dungeon and its boss, actually). Don't know much about him, but he's looking pretty great so far.

Also have to say, I definitely enjoy that the Soma evolving is a legitimate new weapon to equip. The DS version didn't change the sprite on the Soma even when you evolved it, which is understandable, considering it's a DS game.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

BlackPersona posted:

I played the original back on the DS, so Gall's completely new to me (So's this dungeon and its boss, actually). Don't know much about him, but he's looking pretty great so far.

Also have to say, I definitely enjoy that the Soma evolving is a legitimate new weapon to equip. The DS version didn't change the sprite on the Soma even when you evolved it, which is understandable, considering it's a DS game.

I didn't play the DS version, just this one. I'd love if you or someone would point out when differences crop up like this.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

RelentlessImp posted:

I didn't play the DS version, just this one. I'd love if you or someone would point out when differences crop up like this.

This one has random encounters, for one.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

So not only do we have a Church order, we also have an Empire? All we need now is some sort of corporation and we're set.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Kor ever going to bring up that it was the girl inside Kohaku that nuked her spira and not Kor?

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

DOOP posted:

Is Kor ever going to bring up that it was the girl inside Kohaku that nuked her spira and not Kor?

We'll be seeing signs of that plot thread... well, several hours from where we are now. After all, only Kor and Kohaku know about the girl, and given one of the skits in Update 3, it seems like Kohaku's completely forgotten about her, and Hisui never believed she was real.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 3, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

DOOP posted:

But Kor accused the girl of being in league with the witch that was hunting Kohaku and threatened her.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DOOP posted:

Like anyone would listen to him if he did. Best to just sit on that chestnut until we get the party member who knows tons about the world and its history.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
All Kor needs to say is, "Listen up, jerkass. That witch did something that was killing your sister. Literally killing her, she would be dead right now if it weren't for me. This situation sucks, but she's still alive and we've got a chance to fix it. So shut the gently caress up, and just accept that I'm trying to help you two out, you unbelievably ungrateful piece of poo poo."

Of course, he won't, because he's a Tales protagonist, but a man can dream drat it. :v:

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

DOOP posted:

I got the impression Kor himself didn't really even know what was going on. And since he's headstrong and not particularly bright, it may not even dawn on him yet outside of the fact that his own interference caused the events to shatter Kohaku's Spiria Core.

Mraagvpeine posted:

So not only do we have a Church order, we also have an Empire? All we need now is some sort of corporation and we're set.

Let's just go the extra mile and say that since this is a JRPG, the Empire is probably gonna be power-hungry/evil and the Church is going to be pulling its strings. Just a guess, anyhow. (I played far too many of these when I was younger...)

Digital Jello fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 3, 2015

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Captain Bravo posted:

All Kor needs to say is, "Listen up, jerkass. That witch did something that was killing your sister. Literally killing her, she would be dead right now if it weren't for me. This situation sucks, but she's still alive and we've got a chance to fix it. So shut the gently caress up, and just accept that I'm trying to help you two out, you unbelievably ungrateful piece of poo poo."

Of course, he won't, because he's a Tales protagonist, but a man can dream drat it. :v:

Think about it from Kor's point of view. He's seen Kohaku get extremely violent on her own brother. Would you want to take the chance of her taking offense to you talking to her brother that way later when she's not kind and terrified?

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Kohaku's condition is really harming this game. I got very interested in this game at first, but I'm rapidly getting less and less interested as this continues. Even ignoring the waste of a good character, this doesn't seem to help the storyline either. It looks to me like the game already had some interesting plot treads going on which it could have followed instead. Find X number of objects is among the least interesting objectives you can give the player.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

Crystalgate posted:

Kohaku's condition is really harming this game. I got very interested in this game at first, but I'm rapidly getting less and less interested as this continues. Even ignoring the waste of a good character, this doesn't seem to help the storyline either. It looks to me like the game already had some interesting plot treads going on which it could have followed instead. Find X number of objects is among the least interesting objectives you can give the player.

The first chunk of the game is kind of a slog and a disappointing use of what they have so far. It starts to pick up soon, though, as you gather more shards and start piecing Kohaku back together. It's just staying with it past that point. I'm with you, though. My first time through this game, I sorta started zoning out because of how disappointed I was - but it rapidly became one of my favorites after a certain point and it just kept getting better.

It helps to think of this whole first chunk of the game as Graces' Childhood Story. It's kind of bland, kind of cute in places, kind of annoying - but when the gloves come off you are immediately drawn in.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 3, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RelentlessImp posted:

The first chunk of the game is kind of a slog and a disappointing use of what they have so far. It starts to pick up soon, though, as you gather more shards and start piecing Kohaku back together. It's just staying with it past that point. I'm with you, though. My first time through this game, I sorta started zoning out because of how disappointed I was - but it rapidly became one of my favorites after a certain point and it just kept getting better.

It helps to think of this whole first chunk of the game as Graces' Childhood Story. It's kind of bland, kind of cute in places, kind of annoying - but when the gloves come off you are immediately drawn in.

Would you mind spoiling how many shards we need to go before it should really be winning people over?

Crystalgate posted:

Yeah, it doesn't help that until Gall showed up none of the characters we've got to travel with were really carrying things on their own. And then after we get Kohaku back into roughly the same shape she showed up in we've gotta deal with Chalcedony's superiority attitude.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 3, 2015

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Would you mind spoiling how many shards we need to go before it should really be winning people over?

Anger and Courage really pick up Kohaku's currently dull character, and are fairly soon-ish. However, we get some exceptionally enjoyable party members between now and then, and the party banter really helps. So... about four to six updates before the party really comes alive, and a few more before Kohaku starts being a real person?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RelentlessImp posted:

Anger and Courage really pick up Kohaku's currently dull character, and are fairly soon-ish. However, we get some exceptionally enjoyable party members between now and then, and the party banter really helps. So... about four to six updates before the party really comes alive, and a few more before Kohaku starts being a real person?

Well, that's more forthcoming than I was expecting. I was expecting 'Eh, we're two shards away and maybe three updates because I did some initial parts of the available sidequests during them too.' But cool, I'm sure Courage will be especially welcome.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011

So, after conquering the Grim Reaper and Keeper (who knew Death was a duo?), we're moving on.

Goodbye, Twilight Forest. We'll be back... soonish.

Right nearby is something you'll see a lot of - cabins near travel dungeons.

These are basically 'rest stops', with Healing Save Points and a chest in them. Occasionally there might be someone to talk to in them. They're just a place to stop and refill at after a hard dungeon, or a dungeon the designers thought was hard. Or just long.

I spend a little time grinding to make the slog that's coming up a bit easier.

I unlock some Somas, give Kor my favorite-looking early game Soma, which just so happens to be a balanced one.

I also want to show off that these gather points can have Namcoins.

We're bypassing Hanselar for the moment to showcase something else about this world I like - ports.

There are a lot of ports like this in the game. The world of Tales of Hearts R is actually fairly modernized. The world is split into three continents - North, West, and Central - and there are quite a few ports traveling between major hubs like Hanselar. We'll be seeing a lot of these places. Anyways, what we're after are those two storage buildings on the left.

These buildings usually have some chests in them containing either a Namcoin or something else you can easily miss.

Shipman: Naturally, we also have ferries departing regularly for Obus, the central continent, from here. But since there's no wind right now, they won't be leaving anytime soon.

So the seas are becalmed, and we can't sequence break.

Just near Hanselar we run across this strip of beach, the Hanselar Strand.

I wonder if this place will be important later.

The map can be kind of annoying to read sometimes - it looks like we're right on top of a dungeon, but it's actually on the other side of the mountain. The price you pay for a full-sized map on a portable device, I guess.

Finally, Hanselar. I like how cities look on the overworld here, despite the obvious scale issues.

Look, I know you spent your whole life slopping hogs or whatever, but try to stop and think for a second. These people don't all live here. There's a festival or something going on, yeah?
A festival? Oh, right.

The girl just walks right past the group.

Uh oh. Kohaku ain't gonna do so hot in a place this crowded. We better find a place to rest.
I vote we kick back at an inn.

And an inn we shall go to. But wait - what's that, near the pig?

Wonder Chef: I am the muscle-bound god- Sorry, the mysterious god of the kitchen, Wonder Chef! Here I have a recipe to give you. It's my way of sharing the love of food.

Wonder Chef: Eat well and bulk up! Muscles make a happy man! So until we meet again! Byeeeeee!

The pig gives us a squid. I don't even know.

We hit up the bookstore and explore the town first. Bookstores also sell recipes. They aren't all plot and Wonder Chef given.

Huh, that's a lot of event markers. First, the armor shop!

Nicer stuff. The R items typically increase stats at the cost of P. Def and W. Def. An extra TC is worth having on Kor, since I'll be using him until we get a specific character now.

Hm. New head armor type that I mentioned earlier - Circlets. Wonder if this means we're gonna pick up a new party member. It does. You know how it goes, the moment you see new gear that means a new party member's right around the corner.

Also, accessories are quite a bit more accessible in this game than other Tales games. We have downgrades from your typical Black Onyx/Moonstone items that increase HP/TP by 10% instead of 30%, Earrings that increase P. Atk, W. Atk, P. Def and W. Def by 10% each, and an item that increases Luck level by 1 star. I'll go into Luck later, when we're made to give a drat about it.

Hey, it's that girl who ambushed us.

Stop peeking, thief! I know you're trying to copy my painting so you can enter the Imperial Academy of Arts' Maximus Showcase!
Copy your painting? What are you talking about?
Don't play the incense with me! I know you're trying to copy me!
Play the incense?
Plagiarist! Forger! Cribbist! Quit copying me and go away!

Yeah, you can't actually get some of this stuff he makes - and he makes a few more items later on - without being on a new game+ with at least 30 item limit.

Warehouse Guard: We've also got a warehouse guard with a rough disposition, so don't try anything funny around them.

I wonder if they'll stop us from looting the warehouses.

Nope! Good thing, too.

We'll be back here later. I just wanted to show off this:

HAIL SITHIS! HAIL THE VOID!

Young Witness: It's a real mystery.

How curious, a witness to strange goings-on. I wonder if this will ever be relevant.

And now for the greatest thing in a Tales game ever:

We can confess our characters' sins in the Church of Valentin, and can do it for each character by switching which one is our field character. Let's start with Kor.

So I broke Kohaku's Spiria Core, although I'm going to fix it.

These all start and end the same way. I'm just going to let you guys imagine the appropriate dialogue in between each of these.

I notice I'm kind of always looking at Kohaku's legs.
I borrowed Hisui's goggles when he wasn't looking and scratched them.
Um, no, I think that's it. For now, anyway.

I keep putting Kohaku in all kinds of hot water, which totally sucks since I'm her big brother.
The kid seems to have the hots for Kohaku, but I'm gonna do whatever it takes to stop him!
I always end up comparing other girls to Kohaku and feeling like she's better than them.
I'm all fessed up. Well, for now at least. Thanks for the ear, Padre.

I'm not an especially religious cat, so if it's penitence you want, you better look someplace else.
I suppose I could repent for having nothing to repent? That's a thing, right?

:allears:

That's it. I've got nothing else to give you.

Characters will have more to confess as the story goes on. And regarding Hisui... can we get this guy banned? He's being kinda creepy!

Priest: Come; pray to the winged whale and let your Spiria be cleansed. Without earnest prayer, there can be no ideal world.

Oh, look, it's her again.

Citrine: Oh dear dear dear, you've brought me another Namcoin, have you? Aren't you a dear? Thank you.

Handed: Namcoin x4

Citrine: Oh dear dear dear! I had no idea you'd find me so many. Here's a little something for you. I hope you like it!

Not a bad hat, really. +250hp is nothing to sneeze at at this point of the game - it's an extra 1/6th to Kor's HP.

Lady: Unfortunately, lately it's a kitchen that's been having trouble keeping roaches out. Watch yourselves.

She then gives us a Chef's Hat and tries to charge us 1000 gald for it then tells us she's just joking. This gives me an excuse to pad this out a bit more with explanation of Costumes and Accessories.

On the status screen we can change our character's current costume and attachment. Kor currently has no costumes, but...

We can give him a snazzy hat. Costumes are a per-character thing, and individual to each character, changing their on-field and in-battle appearance, but not their FMV appearance. Accessories can be used by every character at once, however, and also show up on field and in battle. So you can take Kor out with a chef's hat, and have Kor, Hisui and Gall all wearing the same hat. Too bad none of them can flex.

Finally, the Inn.

Um, hello? Hi there. Hey. We need a place to stay.

Innkeeper: I'm tired'a riff-raff shirkin' the bill. Now, if y'all were regulars settin' up shop in this here town, it'd be different.

Why that conniving old coot! I oughta- Ah, forget it. I guess he's gotta look out for himself.

Innkeeper: Glad y'all aren't just young 'n dumb. It'll be 300 gald, includin' insurance. Payment up front.

Do all city inns cost this much?

Did you skip your nap today, old timer? Why the heck am I paying "insurance" if you get all my money up front?!

Innkeeper: Dissatisfied customer, is it? A-yup. Mayhap y'all should go get back in line at some other inn.

Innkeeper: A'yup. And that's why I don't trust strangers showin' up outta the blue.

He walks off into the back.

Innkeeper's Wife: And he used to be so kind-hearted, too. Once I worried he'd turn our inn into a charity, but now-

So his personality's turned sour, eh? That sounds like a lead to me. What say you, little lady?

Kohaku's stomach gurgling.

Um, Sis? That's your stomach growling.

Innkeeper's Wife: Oh my! It sounds like someone is in need of a good hot meal. Come, come! Let me make you something to apologize for my husband's behavior. I insist!

Screen blacks, and we get inn music.

In a town this big, somebody will know something.

But hey. We're in an inn. It's time for... Inn Scenes!

For once? Where do you usually sleep?
I usually shack up at someone's house or else camp outside.
Camping in the wild? That sounds dangerous.
You're not wrong. Between the bandits and the monsters, solid winks are pretty hard to come by.
How does a geezer like you stay safe, then?
Oh, you know. I make sure to set up camp in a well-hidden spot, surround it with a few traps...that kind of thing. Who knows what could happen while you're sleeping. Nothing hip about waking up ghosted.
Whoa. That's pretty wild!
But enough lip-flapping from me. First rule of the road is to sleep when the sleeping's good.

Gall and allies' bonds strengthend a lot!

And a second...

There's a loud sound of a crowd.

Hnnmmm? Gall?
Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey. Check it, Kor-sun's not even up, but there's no shortage of hustle and bustle out there.

Takes an early start to get all these goods shipping across the empire. And that's Hanselar's bread and butter.
It's like when I used to help the fisherman in Seaville. We always had to get up at this hour.
Yup. That's how customs like this tend to take root. We should join the crowd, maybe get an early start on our shopping and information gathering. But go easy, okay? Hustle and bustle often goes hand-in-hand with danger and trouble.

And another.

Oh, just a cup of mud.
Mud?
It's called coffee. It's a drink made by grinding and brewing special beans.
I'm not totally sure I get all that, but it sounds interesting! Do you mind if I try it?
Be my guest. But watch out- it'll put hair on your chest.
What's that mean?
It means that coffee is usually enjoyed by adults, and I'm not sure you'll like it much.
Ha! I'm not a kid anymore!
Well then, help yourself.
Thanks! *gulp*
Gyaaaa! It's so BITTER!
Heh. Looks like you're still a kid after all.
If I have to drink that to be an adult, maybe I'll just stay a kid forever.

Waiter! Can I get some sugar cubes here? And as much cream as you can find!

Gall and allies' bonds strengthened a lot!

This is one trope I wish would die. I started drinking coffee at age 10, and I loving loved it. Kids, adults... caffiene is great and proper coffee is the nectar of the gods that anyone can enjoy. Still, Gall. :allears: Can't fault it too much. I'm going to go ahead and say the original version of this game, that didn't include Gall, would have been unbearable by this point with just Hisui and Kor.

As we run up to the central marketplace, a scene starts...

What, me? I'm from Seaville.

Arms Dealer A: Seaville? Well, ain't that a thing! I was born in Seaville myself.

Really? Wow! That IS a thing!

Arms Dealer A: Why, we're practically kin. Which means I'm obligated to sell you this armor at half-price!

Wow, Hisui! Half-price! That's a steal!

Are all Seaville folk this dumb? This guys playing you like a cheap fiddle!

Arms Dealer A: Take your petty lies away from my customers, you vulture!

Arms Dealer B: Lies, is it? Then I propose a test. Strap on that fine armor of yours, and I'll hit it with one of my swords.

Arms Dealer A: Er, well it's not my size and- Gya! Fine! Forget it! But you'll rue the day you stole my customers!

I can't believe someone from Seaville would do such a thing.

You got straw between the ears, kid? That guy ain't from Seaville anymore than I am!

Arms Dealer B: You're wise beyond your years, friend.

Yeah, well. Move around as much as I have, and you meet your share of crooked peddlers. But you seem trustworthy enough. Mind helping us out with something?

Arms Dealer B: Of course! Please, step this way. We can talk more at my stall.

Yowza. This stuff ain't cheap.

Arms Dealer B: Surely you can't put a price on safety? When it comes to wares of war, quality is first and foremost.

Well, at least they're better than that junk the other guy was trying to push on us.

Are you sure about that? I'd rank them about equal.

Ha! If there's one thing I've learned in my travels, it's how to spot true quality.

Sir, we actually don't need armor. Can you just tell us if there have been any despir outbreaks here lately?

Arms Dealer B: I might could point you in the right direction, but such a thing wouldn't come free.

Fine! We'll buy something for Kohaku. But your info better be worth it.

Arms Dealer B: Your business is appreciated, friend! You haggle with the skill of a seasoned traveler of the world.

The first guy lets the second expose him as a cheat, but you end up with the same junk in the end. It's a classic. But you two snakes have gotten sloppy; the Sea Transport Guild is on to your little scheme. In fact, I've come here with a message from Guildmaster Marine himself: "Know your place."

Arms Dealer B: Y-Yes. Understood! Place known! I'm not fool enough to cross the Guildmaster!

First guy, second guy. A sucker is still a sucker.

:allears: Gall.

You seem to know a lot about Hanselar.

Not as much as my employer, Ultra Marine. He's the Sea Transport Guild's Guildmaster and he knows everything that goes on here. He might even know about the object sought by a young group of Somatics who just wandered into town. I suggest you drop by the Guildmaster's Hall. I'm sure we can strike a favorable deal, what with you being Somatics and all.

Tread lightly. This could be the same ruse with a third guy-or girl, in this case.

This place bugs me more than xeroms. You can't trust nobody!

It's not like we have any other leads. I think we should go see what this Guildmaster has to say.

This update is getting cut here, because the next part, it's all steam ahead on the crazy train, no stops allowed til it's all over and calmed down. See you guys then.

RelentlessImp fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Aug 5, 2015

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I... want to say that there was a confessional booth in the original, but I legitimately don't remember. Not being able to read the text probably didn't help, heh. But, hey, Gall's getting some great lines in, I'd say :allears:

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Gall is amazing, it's basically him going on a quest with his two idiot sons and comatose daughter. :allears:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I like the idea behind Kohaku's condition, but it might change depending on how long she'll be dependent on the shards to find. I had played a bit beyond the LP when I stopped and from my experience the shards do come along at a fairly brisk pace, and you do get interesting companions along the way, so they their time to shine. Also, knowing only a little about what Kohaku's like (assuming, of course, that the player does like her) gives a massive emotional attachment to the stated goal - does it really matter in the end if there was someone else in her Spiria? She's been damaged by Kor's action regardless, even if there was an accomplice, and shifting blame at this stage would accomplish nothing.

All in all, depending on how long she'll stay like this, I like the idea, gives a more personal hook to the story before the inevitable "save the world" twist.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
I'm kind of surprised nobody's really commented on Gall's mode of dress. When I first saw him I couldn't stop laughing. Old hippy hair, pink ascot, fur-lined tunic with half-sleeves that need to be buckled to his arms, pink gloves, brown cloth waist wrap, big belt, some kind of fur hanging off his backside, buckled pants, and steel-toed shitkicker boots. It kind of leaps out at you the first time you see him after Kohaku's bare legs, Hisui's fuzzy sweater and goggles, and Kor's half-shirt, plugsuit, and big rear end metal greaves. Little did I know he'd turn into my favorite character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

That reminds me, can you have the characters in this game dress up as characters from other Tales games? I'm sure it's some sort of Tales staple.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 4, 2015

• Locked thread