Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lipset and Rock On
Jan 18, 2009
Can't believe I'm joint 1st in the guessing game leaderboard. I've only watched season 8 once, when it aired, so my scores were based on a half assed memory. Actually I don't recall most of what I guessed. For KTM I remember thinking that Occ would take a strongish view on it, but couldn't decide whether he would hate it or whether he would find it so stupid he kind of loved it (I, for one, burst out laughing when 'the moon is an egg' was revealed). So I vacillated between literally every grade. Looking back now I think I probably went for a D on the basis that he was much more likely to hate it than like it, but was slightly hedging with a D. I'm horrified that this train of logic has apparently succeeded.

I've decided I much prefer not knowing what grades I've given episodes so each episode review from Toxx is followed by blind panic. The tension is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

It's a recurring theme, not even exclusive to Doctor Who.

It's like pointing out the usage of space travel is a Moffat Theme.

Of the stable of writers in Doctor Who some of them have certain patterns they rely on.

Even themes they like to trot out every now and again

One of Moffat's is this. I'm not sure why you're taking such an issue with me pointing this out, but I'll play ball and reword it

The only complaint I have with this episode is that it uses the "Monster isn't actually evil" twist again, when we already did that earlier this season.

That better?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Lots of other (Who) writers who aren't Moffat use it, and Moffat doesn't use it particularly frequently either.

It's a really weird thing to pick on.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Burkion posted:

Of the stable of writers in Doctor Who some of them have certain patterns they rely on.

Even themes they like to trot out every now and again

One of Moffat's is this. I'm not sure why you're taking such an issue with me pointing this out, but I'll play ball and reword it

The only complaint I have with this episode is that it uses the "Monster isn't actually evil" twist again, when we already did that earlier this season.

That better?

Why should the monster be evil in at least 6 out of 8 episodes?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

Why should the monster be evil in at least 6 out of 8 episodes?

Why should my minor complaint draw this much attention?

And mostly because of the kind of show Who is, and the fact that it's the same kind of twist again. If the monster was clearly not evil the entire time, that's one thing. But the specific formula used here is the same as the bank heist episode- monster appears threatening and evil, turns out it had no other choice in the matter.

Seems odd to repeat it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The monster in this episode is also a malfunctioning advanced soldier, which was used in episode 6.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

2house2fly posted:

The monster in this episode is also a malfunctioning advanced soldier, which was used in episode 6.

Soldiers are a theme this season.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

There is a full version of the Don't Stop Me Now cover by Foxes, but it contains snippets from future episodes and is thus too spoilery.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

That is, as noted below your post, part of the theme of the season.

I would go further into that but we both know why I cannot. And how it would apply to my minor, I stress again minor, complaint.

Or am I just not allowed to voice complaints about a pretty drat good episode? Because there's a clam that's always ready to be pointed out in a much better story of this franchise I could go sit on

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Hey I was just sayin. Anyway the soldiers are just an expression of the real main theme of this series which is the corrupting influence of power; both the Foretold and the gross brain sucking monster are being controlled by people with power over them so it's thematically relevant that neither of them is evil.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Clara dressed as a flapper is a ridiculously good look for Jenna Coleman :swoon:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

howe_sam posted:

Clara dressed as a flapper is a ridiculously good look for Jenna Coleman :swoon:

I was going to post something about Moffat's common themes but instead I am just going to agree with the most correct thing that has been said in this thread ever.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

howe_sam posted:

Clara dressed as <x> is a ridiculously good look for Jenna Coleman :swoon:

Indeed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Danny's expression seems quite fitting as a response for this.

And, in fact, for almost everything.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Burkion posted:

It is very likely all of the combinations of sun and booze!

Aaaaaaaall of them

Last page but I see those loving 8 A's you dork.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So did you just spoil yourself on the rest of the season or did Oxx pull this from AVC for you?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Episode titles counting as spoilers was always a ridiculous rule anyway so who cares

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

Episode titles counting as spoilers was always a ridiculous rule anyway so who cares

Occ might have seen the review scores, and realised that all upcoming episodes are utterly flawless straight A's. :ohdear:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Escobarbarian posted:

It is, but he usually cares, so :shrug:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Plus the episodes all have an accompanying image, and those do have spoilers in them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

It is, but he usually cares, so :shrug:

I think the rule here has always been zero tolerance because of how easy it is for people to suddenly start going on about things, not because he specifically didn't want to know anything at all.

There are spoilers in the images on the site though yeah

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Enourmo posted:

Last page but I see those loving 8 A's you dork.

What I did I did without choice, in the name of peace and sanity.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Burkion posted:

What I did I did without choice, in the name of peace and sanity.

But not in the name of the Toxxtor.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I love that they took the ridiculous idea of a space train that Eleven mentioned at the very end of "The Big Bang" and made it real and set an entire episode out of it.

Edit: I like Occ's summary of KtM, it kind of reminded me more of Marvel's Civil War: a story that set off to present two sides, but eventually the opinions the author (and a majority of the readership) became the only valid one.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 3, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

I love that they took the ridiculous idea of a space train that Eleven mentioned at the very end of "The Big Bang" and made it real and set an entire episode out of it.

Edit: I like Occ's summary of KtM, it kind of reminded me more of Marvel's Civil War: a story that set off to present two sides, but eventually the opinions the author (and a majority of the readership) became the only valid one.

The wonderful thing about Civil War was that, due to how many different writers were onboard for all of the tie ins and crap, most of the story presents Captain America in the right and Tony as worse than Hitler.

And then the main writer comes in and does a sharp nose dive in the opposite direction at the last moment.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Occ correctly pointed out that the real problem with KTM was entirely story related. The interesting thing, I think, is that most people aren't very well versed in story structure, and they're unsure of what exactly is going wrong, but they know something isn't working. So they latch on to what they are familiar with - science.

Of course, if the story was well constructed, no one would give a poo poo about wonky science.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

ashpanash posted:

Of course, if the story was well constructed, no one would give a poo poo about wonky science.

The obvious comparison is the Beast Below, which is essentially what Kill The Moon wishes it could be. It has the Big Moral Choice where one of the two options is secretly the perfect golden option, the companion reverses the consensus decision that every human has approved and unilaterally selects the correct option at the last moment, and it even has significant science errors (the ship shouldn't need engines constantly providing momentum to fly through space, once it gets up to speed there's no space-friction to slow it down). But nobody complains about that science error, because it's a lot less intuitive than how loving eggs work the Beast Below is actually good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Craptacular! posted:

I also love that this indicates that offscreen mere moments after the Doctor convinced Amy and Rory to ditch their reception and go on an adventure with him..... he sets the coordinates for somewhere else entirely and probably scoffed to them,"Oh come on Ponds, that was clearly a trap!"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I was really hoping, as logistically impossible and absurd as it would have been, that the other scientists would turn out to be other incarnations of the Doctor. I'm not really complaining that my impossible notion didn't happen, but a man can dream.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
I grinned like a damned idiot when I heard "Are you my mummy?" again.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Bring back Perkins, imo

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Perkins is great, plus I like how on a whole train full of intellectuals the Doctor makes friends with a grease monkey.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

The wonderful thing about Civil War was that, due to how many different writers were onboard for all of the tie ins and crap, most of the story presents Captain America in the right and Tony as worse than Hitler.

And then the main writer comes in and does a sharp nose dive in the opposite direction at the last moment.

Truly? I knew a lot of people who say it the opposite: that the story started with both sides looking legitimate and Mark Millar got on board and brought in his agenda with obvious parallels to federal profiling and national security overreaching, and served as red meat for the "Bush = Hitler" crowd.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember Stark coming off as more villainous in the Spider-Man stories than the main title.

But yeah the end of Civil War isn't "Tony was right" it's "Cap realises the infighting is doing more harm than good".

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
All I know about Civil War is that basically everyone not directly working on it during and after the whole thing just hated it, so much so that a good couple years of Iron Man stories were devoted to damage control.

It's probably not a good idea for them to be making a movie out of that, it's one of the most controversial comic stories of recent years, and not in a good way. You'd struggle to find a worse story to use as a comic book movie basis, given Sony can't keep Spider-Man moving long enough for One More Day to be doable.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's going to be a very loose adaptation. The Age of Ultron movie had nothing to do with the Age of Ultron comic, other than the fact that Ultron was in it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

also, Civil War...

...ruled

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sums it up for me

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Civil War is definitely one of Millar's least lovely comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Ultimates was p good

• Locked thread