Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

This guy looks pretty chill for an impaled person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

dasmause posted:

He's just hangin' out :v:

IronSaber posted:

So I've learned to love Flash Bolts.

Flash Bolts blind enemies for a set amount of time, but opens them up for Stealth Kills from any angle. This made them very useful against the Invisible Haunted in the hospital level, since it makes them visible while blinded and ready for stabby-stabby.

I get some mileage out of this at the end of the next chapter. Finally, considering I upgraded the flash bolts forever ago and hardly used them. I think the base time is four seconds and the first upgrade gets you seven seconds which is FOREVER.

I still die but y'know.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

dasmause posted:

"Hey buddy, don't make the same mistakes I did, just sayin'"

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

dasmause posted:

"You know this whole being dead thing is pretty cool. You should try it."

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Flash-bolt ALSO stuns the Chainsaw Sadist Guy. You can perform a stealth attack on him from the front, though for some reason Sebastian chooses to shank him in the gut, so it doesn't kill him in one hit. It severely damages him, though, and it's great for getting him off your back when he's going to chop your head off.

I forget if he shows up again after this point in the game so this tip might be useless, but hey, he's already shown up as a miniboss at least twice.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I'm not sure if it's chainsaw guy or some other enemy, but sometimes only the initial flash bolt stuns, while all others are ignored (as if the specific enemy had an internal cooldown). I know it was like that against one of the bigger blokes, just not sure which one if it's not the chainsaw guy.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

So I'm almost caught up with the videos, but wanted to say you're doing a super job and this game is actually fairly disappointing to me so far. I was expecting a bit more scares, but it's probably different for me because I'm not playing it. It really just feels like RE4 part 2.

Your reactions are hilarious.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

My Face When posted:

So I'm almost caught up with the videos, but wanted to say you're doing a super job and this game is actually fairly disappointing to me so far. I was expecting a bit more scares, but it's probably different for me because I'm not playing it. It really just feels like RE4 part 2.

I think comparing this game to its own introductory sequence serves to illustrate how Silent Hills most likely would have compared to PT. You can tell The Evil Within's crazy opening is meant to grab, intrigue, and terrify the player with set pieces lined up back to back, giving only the subtlest and most tantalizing hints at what the plot and gameplay of the rest of the game would be like, much the way PT gives you a flawlessly designed taste of something that can't possibly live up to that expectation for a full game's duration. Ironically, I'm relieved to now know that The Evil Within is merely a different take on Resident Evil 4 that doesn't make all the mistakes the subsequent numbered RE games made, while I would never have considered playing the showy, over-the-top horror stressfest with minimal player involvement that the first half hour advertized. There's been a few times throughout the LP where I've laughed at the thought that the opening is even a part of the same game as what I was seeing.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

I think the transition was a little too odd for me, maybe. I was so ready and expecting like a stealth game meets House of 1000 Corpses. Then the scenery changes and and became what it is. It just comes off as dull for me.

I guess I can understand the design becoming what it is now, but that transition didn't sit well with me. The story is really interesting though, I'll give it that.

Edit:

VV Oh yeah, no doubt. It's why I'm bummed out on what the RE series has become because of RE4's success which is just an action game now. You're seeing that with Silent Hill as well. Less puzzles, more bang bang.

It's great to watch the progression too, like in the matches for example. From 'Okay..?' To 'Too suspicious. Burn.'

My Face When fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 2, 2015

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

My Face When posted:

Your reactions are hilarious.
I think to some degree, a certain level of tension is lost when watching someone play this game. When it's you playing the game, low on life and ammo, and a collection of dead bodies on the ground which you're not totally sure are dead or not....it becomes super tense. It is possible to focus more on hiding and stealth, and it can get a lot closer to the start of the game. And honestly I never really felt tension with RE 4; it always felt like more of an action game with horror elements (which 5 and 6 just expounded upon exponentially).

Still, as with any game, it's easy to start learning it's tricks and getting good; that's what you're seeing with scruff. He was rusty and scared at the start, and now he's a some what competent murder machine (who likes to shoot safe headed men in the head).

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Literally the worst mansion. 17: Welcome! To DIE!/Polsy

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Fun fact: this was the section of the game that Pete Hines, VP of Bethesda, played in a pre-release stream.

He was terrible.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Finally played the DLC for this game. It had a different director and it's pretty awesome.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

The mansion part is as far as I've played since I just hate these chase sequences where you have to deal with something you can't kill and that can kill you in one shot. Although I heard that hiding in stuff works really well

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
The biggest frustration I had was going into the room on the left and having Ruvik show up there. There's no way to dodge around him, it's a pretty linear room. There's also no hiding spots. GOOD LUCK WITH THAT ONE

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think I heard somewhere that this mansion is more or less from the cutting room floor of Shinji Mikami's other projects.

Anyone ever seen that cut footage from the cancelled version of Resident Evil 4? Leon was hallucinating, fighting off dolls and ghostly enemies inside a spooky house.

Another fun fact: the first time they tried to make Resident Evil 4, Shinji Mikami turned it into Devil May Cry instead. Seriously. Actually the dolls-holding-blades and scissor-enemies popping out of paintings that you fight in Devil May Cry are very similar in concept to the killer dolls in the Cancelled Spooky Resident Evil 4.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Speedball posted:

Anyone ever seen that cut footage from the cancelled version of Resident Evil 4? Leon was hallucinating, fighting off dolls and ghostly enemies inside a spooky house.

Shinji Mikami confirmed on a game conference this June (GameLab 2015 in Barcelona) that he had nothing to do with that prototype and that he decided to go with something completely different when he took over (which ended up being the RE4 that was released).

RealSovietBear fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 2, 2015

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
We should collect list of people who think that "invincible enemy that can one-shot you chases after you but he's really loving slow so just kinda walk in circle until he gets bored" are good gameplay mechanics. And then hunt them down.

They already have the hiding place mechanic in the game, why didn't they use it. Watching enemy wander around the room from your spy closet isn't exactly the most suspenseful thing but it's miles ahead of running stairs up and down until enemy despawns.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

dasmause posted:

Although I heard that hiding in stuff works really well

Sometimes it does. And sometimes you hide immediately when Ruvik spawns and he still walks directly towards you and pulls you out of your hiding spot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah sometimes you have to kinda juke Ruvik a little depending on where he shows up. He walks at a pretty chill pace so it's not THAT hard but he does have a pretty big grab radius regardless.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When you look at the painting the first time and the safe area changes, is more than the waiting room area changed? A bit after that, I wonder if you can break those planks and get something from the hole.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

When you look at the painting the first time and the safe area changes, is more than the waiting room area changed? A bit after that, I wonder if you can break those planks and get something from the hole.

The safe area changes only once. dscruffy just broke his game somehow
But aside from waiting room I think the hallway with the cells becomes more deteriorated

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
I'm getting the creepy feeling that Ruvik is trying to resurrect his dead sister by injecting a personality cobbled together from his memories as a child. A bit of an obsessive young man, if he has been pursuing that objective since childhood. He's, what, 18? 19?

Mr. Highway
Feb 25, 2007

I'm a very lonely man, doing what I can.
The Ruvik chases quickly go from tense to tedious, and, if I remember correctly, he can spawn on the other side of a door while you are going through it.

But, anyway, the mansion is another great setting. Everything about it manages to be unsettling. It is somewhat large, yet manages to sneak in tight areas. The paintings add great atmosphere (I love the safe next to the sunflowers after having killed similar safes). This is also where the plot starts to come together. When I saw the trailers, I was expecting the game to be more like this: you explore a large, twisted, and half-delusional environment (the mental hospital) much like the player would in an older Resident Evil, with some passages leading to "hallucinatory" areas. The mansion serves as an example that this concept could have worked.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
"Ruben Victoriano". Just saying.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Fire bolts will pretty much one-hit kill any regular Haunted. They're fantastic.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Strange how throwing a bottle seems more accurate than firing a gun.

Also, while people have mentioned how they like your nervous laughter, the laugh of triumph at ~27 mins was pretty good.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Try to guess my favorite moment in this video. Just try.

18: Moment Of Truth/Polsy

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, you were like one inch away from getting your feet blended.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Speedball posted:

Man, you were like one inch away from getting your feet blended.

I think my thought process when this happened is SHOOT THE ROPE. WAIT, NO SHINY RED THING. Also pretty sure I got this at drat near the last second.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Always Cut The Rope.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

So I played through the next few chapters, and I gotta say... you're in for a wild ride Scruffy.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
I finished the game last night and yeah, it's a rollercoaster all right. I'm really looking forward to see how he handles everything. (Although he's been doing pretty baller so far.)

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

RealSovietBear posted:

I finished the game last night and yeah, it's a rollercoaster all right. I'm really looking forward to see how he handles everything. (Although he's been doing pretty baller so far.)

I'm actually impressed at how many sneak kills Scruffy got in the early chapters. I botched so many of those.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Ya know, sometimes this game does very subtle architectural horror. Take for instance when you were heading around that hallway around the back of the mansion and you were certain that any moment the hallway would loop back around....but it just kept going. It's gives you this overwhelming sense of confusion and this feeling of being lost when a hallway that should be an assumed length just keeps going, curving, and popping up with additional rooms. I mean from the front it seemed like a sprawling Resident Evil style mansion but once you're inside you really have no clear grasp on the dimensions and this part especially doesn't have a great want to allow you time to breath. I can understand the aggravation people have with Ruvik in this part, but I think it works very well for the overall feeling and tension of the mansion.

Also I'm playing RE 4 right now, and I will say that both this game and RE 4 have this very scattershot setting (what with RE 4 going from old Spanish villages, to goofy trap laden castles, mine cart rides, boat rides), but I feel that while it just sometimes seems like padding in RE 4, the sudden environment changes in Evil Within make more sense in a narrative way. With RE 4, it makes me think someone just thought it'd look cool to have a big underground magma pit and found some random place to shove it in.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space
On another note, the doctor said that they were all "contributing" to the mindscape they're stuck in. I kind of get the feeling that all the empty bottles we keep finding is because of Sebastian's drinking problem manifesting in that dream world.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The axe-smash at 07:35 was enough to make a Berzerker proud.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
When I played this bit, I crept into the room with the lady behind the curtain, intending to backstab her. I botched it somehow, she turned around at the last second and grabbed me, then Ruvik slammed the door open.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
So that's what, three times of merry go around with Ruvik so far? So spooky.

Also, please reload older save and show us what happens if you don't shoot the big red glow in the grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Puistokemisti posted:

So that's what, three times of merry go around with Ruvik so far? So spooky.

Also, please reload older save and show us what happens if you don't shoot the big red glow in the grinder.

You get smooshed and the camera patronizingly moves to the glowing mechanism to show you how stupid you were for shooting the rope instead of it.

• Locked thread