Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Every single character introduces him or herself to Tidus while he awkwardly changes the subject or spazzes out like a retard because Square in all its wisdom decided to let you name the main character in a voiced, character-driven game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Final Fantasy X: Every minigame is the worst in the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

epitasis posted:

I dunno sacrificing yourself to save the world is p noble and she was my strongest character by far so that is cool in my book
she's sacrificing herself to save the world because she was literally conditioned and brainwashed into thinking her life was worthless though. that's the entire point.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the ending of x-2 contains a scene where yuna talks at length about how stupid the idea of sacrificing yourself to save the world is

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I didn't say being a noble martyr is particularly smart. though it is perhaps smarter before you learn the whole thing is a big joke

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

epitasis posted:

I mean. they have scenes together. the one looking out at the broken arch thing, the terrible laughing scene, the one in the water. so those things happen. they are in close physical proximity to one another, this is much is true

Nothing was terrible about the laughing scene and if you paid attention to it instead of cringing the whole time you would see that was one of those scenes that showed Tidus was pretty much the only thing making her happy. The only time she ever had fun on her quest to sacrifice herself was when she was with that yelly dorkhog.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
All these dopes who say the no encounter drop from Geosgaeno is "50/50" are loving killing me. 10 fights in, no NE weapon.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Brasseye posted:

Anyone know a good combination of dress spheres for x-2? i have all of them except mascot but its a little overwhelming to have so many options and Im getting my rear end kicked in arena mode

Most combinations are good, it just depends on what equipment/abilities you have and what you're fighting. Gunner/Black Mage/White Mage is a solid setup, but of course you can spherechange at any point if i.e. you want to buff with Songstress, or you need the higher HP of Berserker, etc.

In Training posted:

I love X-2 but this is legitimately insanely lazy and can't believe they sold the game for 60 dollars

Solution: Don't play X. There you go, all the environments and assets are brand new.

In Training posted:

Yeah and since that's clearly the demarcated "True Ending" for 100%ing the game, it's what the writers want to have as the most moving finale, so they don't believe in any of that stuff at all. But hey, I skipped all the cutscenes and didn't get 100%, so what do I know. I like the massage mini game

There is no true ending, that's just an ending. Besides, can you imagine the hell the developers would have gotten if they dangled the prospect of Tidus coming back the whole game, then none of the endings actually followed through on it?

gigglefeimer fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 5, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pretend to care posted:

All these dopes who say the no encounter drop from Geosgaeno is "50/50" are loving killing me. 10 fights in, no NE weapon.

Are you playing the PS4 version? That supposedly had hosed up RNG.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

The people behind the war all died.

Which is how most FF games are resolved, and it's also how X-2 was resolved as well. Because people need their exciting finish.

It reminds me how the original ending for Rocky V was going to be where Rocky actually talks Tommy Gunn down. He helps him realize he's being played and the two re-establish their relationship. But that's boring so in the actual ending Rocky just beat the poo poo out of him. Problem solved. Except not.

That's more or less the FF series in a nutshell I think. Which is part of why I like X-2. Killing Sin didn't magically make everything okay. Taking down a theocracy that has ruled for a thousand years is probably going to cause some problems and, look, it did. Good on you, X-2.

Type-0 had a novel approach to ending a war which I enjoyed very much.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Still disappointed they didn't make X-3 as a prequel with Jecht, Auron and Yuna's dad.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Still disappointed they didn't make X-3 as a prequel with Jecht, Auron and Yuna's dad.
As much as I think I want that, I always remember is that I would want that instead of the FFX we got. As it is, all the entertaining parts would have been spoiled by the collectible spheres and the story arc is FFX but ends an act earlier.

If the 7 remake does well and we get FF10 remake 20 years from now, I would love if they do a retcon where Jecht, Auron, and Braska succeed.

And then in 10remake-2, Auron, Braska, and Cid go on an adventure as a boy band looking for Ject.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Should I play FF Tactics or FFT War Of the Lions?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

imagine spending a whole game with jecht you would kill yourself

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

zedprime posted:

As much as I think I want that, I always remember is that I would want that instead of the FFX we got. As it is, all the entertaining parts would have been spoiled by the collectible spheres and the story arc is FFX but ends an act earlier.

If the 7 remake does well and we get FF10 remake 20 years from now, I would love if they do a retcon where Jecht, Auron, and Braska succeed.

And then in 10remake-2, Auron, Braska, and Cid go on an adventure as a boy band looking for Ject.

Jecht Braska and Auron DID succeed though. They did exactly what they set out to do, and Braska and Jecht were willing to pay the price. Then Auron succeeds in his goals by raising Tidus and pushing him and Yuna. There was no way for them to change any of that. The only reason Tidus and crew even had a chance was because it was Jecht who sacrificed himself, Jecht who had a bond with Tidus and Auron and helped their plan along, Jecht who could be calmed by the Hymn of the Faith.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

jecht is trash

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Literally The Worst posted:

Did Final Fantasy 7's translation bother you?

How about 12's? WotL is pretty great, either way.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

epitasis posted:

jecht is trash

Yes but he's nowhere near as bad as Tidus's mom.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes but he's nowhere near as bad as Tidus's mom.

Yep, true villain of the game.

Tidus and Jecht are the best FF summons. Doomtrain is #3

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

WotL is great, but it's missing some stuff like battle shouts when casting spells, the translation is way better but leans too heavily on GoT-style writing. Also some slowdown, but it's a loving SRPG who gives a flying gently caress about slowdown.

This is the way.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Which translation do you like better?

FFT: Don't blame us. Blame yourself or God.

Or

FFT:WOTL - 'Tis your birth and faith that wrong you, not I.

FFT: - Balbanes: Dycedarg, Zalbag... my beloved sons... Take care of Ramza. He may be your half brother, but he is my own flesh.

Or

FFT:WOTL - Barbaneth: Dycedarg, Zalbaag. You are dear to me. But Ramza is no less so. Though he be not the issue of the womb that bore your, my sons, still my blood courses his veins. Watch after him.

I would always go with the original. WOTL comes off trying too hard, sounds more stilted, and loses a lot of the charm of the original. GoT never had dialogue near that awkward.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

War of the Lions has lines that are better and lines that are worse. especially later in the game, when the original's translation kind of falls apart.

quote:

"Nonsense! There's no need to kill them! Just let them go!"
"That's impossible!"

vs

quote:

"We need only to put them to rout!"
"I find dead men rout more easily."

the original has some good lines, but the vast majority of it is pretty bland, and there are points where it makes no sense whatsoever. War of the Lions is trying too hard, but sometimes it sticks the landing, and at least it has personality. One isn't really better than the other.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

wotl is better because i could actually follow the plot in it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Or

FFT: - Balbanes: Dycedarg, Zalbag... my beloved sons... Take care of Ramza. He may be your half brother, but he is my own flesh.

Or

FFT:WOTL - Barbaneth: Dycedarg, Zalbaag. You are dear to me. But Ramza is no less so. Though he be not the issue of the womb that bore your, my sons, still my blood courses his veins. Watch after him.

this is real disengenuous

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the slowdown in wotl is pretty bad. like yeah it can't affect how you play the game but waiting a solid minute for a basic spell animation to go through at 2 fps suuucks.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Endorph posted:

also the slowdown in wotl is pretty bad. like yeah it can't affect how you play the game but waiting a solid minute for a basic spell animation to go through at 2 fps suuucks.

It's really worth patching on the PSP.

If you don't have the patience for that, you're about to learn it. :v:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
The original FFT translation doesn't have "a lot of charm", it has five good lines. Most of the rest ranges from bad to incomprehensible, but I will grant that some of the terrible battle shouts have an over-the-top charm to them. "Inscribe the dead god in a rotting body... Flare!" and "The doom of a planet, Crush Punch!" are really, really bad, but in that "so bad they're good" way. For my money, though, the WotL translation is uniformly good so it takes the prize.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I overwhelmingly prefer the WotL translation, but I am sad there's no spell/ability incantations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
The battle cries, Ramza's included, ARE the charm of the original FFT. And propositions, as everyone knows!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

And I mean, at the end of the day it's whatever I guess, but I'm still half-amused half-puzzled so many sword skills are called "____ Punch". Split Punch, Crush Punch, Blastar Punch, Hellcry Punch.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I mean Crush Punch is not even a good skill, you never use it over Lightning Stab, it is not planet-dooming, nor it is a punch.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

The battle cries, Ramza's included, ARE the charm of the original FFT. And propositions, as everyone knows!

Nah the charm is the gameplay and the characters and the setting and narrative. The battle cries are a small thing that don't matter at all.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
It's been probably 12 years since I played fft all the way through, but I definitely didn't know why delita was doing half the things he did in the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kingtheninja posted:

It's been probably 12 years since I played fft all the way through, but I definitely didn't know why delita was doing half the things he did in the game.

Because the wealthy killed his sister, so instead of eating the rich, he decided to become them

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah the charm is the gameplay and the characters and the setting and narrative. The battle cries are a small thing that don't matter at all.

Alright, that was a dumb statement, the game is a pretty full package to appreciate.

Which version do you recommend?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kingtheninja posted:

When we were 10 we just understood that to mean it was super deep and complicated.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What sticks with me most is all the graphic death they had in that game. The throat slitting, backstabbing, and other stuff really stood out to me at the time.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

pretend to care posted:

Are you playing the PS4 version?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kingtheninja posted:

Hell I still don't :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Or

Or

I would always go with the original. WOTL comes off trying too hard, sounds more stilted, and loses a lot of the charm of the original. GoT never had dialogue near that awkward.

The FFT translation had some rough patches and was hammy but WotL looks like some translation team thought they could be Shakespeare and it's a bunch of community theater dialogue.

Endorph posted:

Play it on iOS, they updated it a year or two ago and all animations have some frameskip and go about 2x as fast as normal, which I'll happily take over the s l o w a s h e l l a l t e r n a t i v e.