Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Let's get this out of the way first: links exist in fighting games as a consequence of moves being designed in parts - startup, active, and recovery frames, plus the number of frames of hitstun they cause. The only ways to remove links from the equation are to make all moves too slow to combo after your fastest recovery move, make all moves recover too slow for your fastest startup move to combo, make hitstun low to nonexistant (this is a common complaint with SSB brawl), or specifically code the game to not allow normals to link when your character returns to a neutral state (NRS does this in MK and Injustice).

The question you really should be asking is why they made links important to optimal combos and/or BnBs in this game. The answer probably is just that they made most/all of the links wide enough (or added a buffer to help hit smaller frame windows of links) that they felt it was justified. It does not take much practice at all to muscle memory a three frame link in a game like SF4, and Rising Thunder apparently has a buffer to provide you an even wider margin of error, so if that is still not enough for you, maybe the genre is just not for you.

If chains are all you have the stomach for in fighters, there are options. You can get by on chains alone in games like MK, Injustice, and even some anime fighters like UNIEL and Skullgirls, but in all cases you will also still have timing windows to hit after the chains (for connecting juggles, for instance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Chains are great and I don't see why this game doesn't have a basic one or two for every character, but asking for the complete removal, or even significant reduction, of all links seems silly and sorta implies you don't actually know how startup works on moves.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dias posted:

Not really. Then you have to memorize strings, and it might help with people being able to hit combos, but not really with people being able to, you know, win games. Plus, MK has links, and it has juggles, which are a lot harder to time than a 5f+ window a lot of the time.

Wait are you claiming learning links isn't memorizing strings? That's literally what learning links is. MK having juggles doesn't really mean dial-a-combo would not fit Rising Thunder. Not to mention Rising Thunder has juggles.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Shukaro posted:

Exactly, here you have you either have spot-on timing

It's seriously insane that you think a 5 frame window is too small an amount of time, I cannot handle it, peace

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

DatonKallandor posted:

Wait are you claiming learning links isn't memorizing strings? That's literally what learning links is. MK having juggles doesn't really mean dial-a-combo would not fit Rising Thunder. Not to mention Rising Thunder has juggles.

It's a lot less to memorize. I can tell you all the links Chel has in Rising Thunder. I can't tell you half the strings Kano has, and the ones I know are three times as many links as Chel has.

Also, MK has a way tighter juggle window than this game.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

The Gorp posted:

Blazblue doesn't have links, it has gattling combos.
Anime master race.

(For real, why can you just buffer the next normal during the animation fo the previous one. Links are horrible)

blazblue has links. every game has links

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
DONT LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS
TURN YOUR DREAMS INTO REALITY
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE
JUST
DO
IT

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The Gorp posted:

Blazblue doesn't have links, it has gattling combos.
Anime master race.

(For real, why can you just buffer the next normal during the animation fo the previous one. Links are horrible)

Just because BB is built on a gatling chain system doesn't mean there's no links. Links are still extremely important to many characters in that game.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Chains are great and I don't see why this game doesn't have a basic one or two for every character, but asking for the complete removal, or even significant reduction, of all links seems silly and sorta implies you don't actually know how startup works on moves.

I don't remember saying that, just that it's all weird (in the context of an "accessible" fighting game) that to combo any normal save like 2 you NEED to link, that there is no chaining.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Plus, even without links every character has an easy chainable confirm into okay damage because this game has horrendous scaling.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
It's weird that a game that's supposed to be accessible would have long combos at all rather than primarily emphasising 2 in 1s tbh

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

DatonKallandor posted:

Wait are you claiming learning links isn't memorizing strings?

If you know a move is +5 or whatever, you can look at every move that starts up in 5 frames or less and know that those link. There's no set sequence of what buttons you have to press to continue the combo and it generally takes a bit of research and experimentation to figure out what's actually optimal to combo. Further, the optimal move might be range or character specific. It depends a lot on the game (RT is pretty shallow in this regard) but generally there's a lot of analysis that goes into creating an optimal BnB from a linkable move.

Dial a combo you just do what's preprogrammed until you get to the end of the string, at which point you might still have some interesting decisions in how to proceed with the rest of the combo re: cancels into specials and such (read as: I'm not calling dial a combo strings dumb or worse, just pointing out the difference as a skill for you)

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Countblanc posted:

There are chains in this game.

Also dude who is having issues with links, is your game running at (or near) 60fps? If you are running around 30-40 it'll be very easy for you to time the button press correctly and still miss if it lands in a skipped frame. You can lower your graphics settings to gain some fps.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 6, 2015

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Buhbuhj posted:

DONT LET YOUR COMBOS BE DREAMS
TURN YOUR COMBOS INTO REALITY
NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE
JUST
LINK
IT

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Anecdotal, but it took me almost a whole year to pull off FADC combos in USF4 (lol, I'm bad). I was doing dash cancel combos in Rising Thunder the day I got the alpha.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Seth Killian drinking himself to death after realizing its impossible to dumb down fighting games enough where people won't complain about having to exert some level of effort into playing them well.

borf
Apr 5, 2006

Shukaro posted:

I shall report back re: mashing

I'm personally partial to L-M-H chaining like in marvel type games, but this is way more of a SF type fighter so that probably wouldn't work

I just started and have only messed around with Dauntless. What you just described is the first thing i tried and it works, how much easier or lenient can it get really?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Seth Killian drinking himself to death after realizing its impossible to dumb down fighting games enough where people won't complain about having to exert some level of effort into playing them well.

The Four Gods of Fighting Game Development: Jack Daniels, Johnny Walker, Cpt. Morgan and Mr. Jameson.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

yes, this is exactly what is being posted

Buhbuhj posted:

I don't have to put any effort into splatting nubs in Splatoon. Why should I have to learn how to press buttons in sequence.

this too

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I don't have to put any effort into splatting nubs in Splatoon. Why should I have to learn how to press buttons in sequence.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Honestly, Shukaro, if you spent the time it took you to make your 16 posts in this thread in training practicing your character(s) important link(s), you'd probably have several of them down at a solid success rate already.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
I know saying a 5 frame window is incredibly easy to hit sounds like myopic fighting game nerds with no sense of perspective talking but it really is incredibly easy. It sounds small but it really is not.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Shukaro posted:

You have exhausted the reasonable responses, this is all that's left, I'm sorry :smithicide:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Everyone posting about how easy links are is in The Split

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
5 frames is 1/12th of a second. Yes, it sounds insanely short, but with just the tiniest bit of practice it's actually much longer than you think it is.

I don't know how narrow the window hitting a note in a rhythm game is, but I'm willing to bet that a 5 frame link is more lenient than DDR or Guitar Hero.

e: Also links are a natural byproduct of how fighting games work, unless you're a crackhead who demands that frame data be engineered specifically so all moves are neutral or worse on hit

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shukaro posted:

this too

Dude, you don't even need the links to win in this game. Who do you play? There's a 95% chance you can get decent damage without linking.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
broly legs does 1 frame links with his face all the time, i suggest playing rising thunder with yoru tongue until you can master the linking combo techniques

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Honestly, Shukaro, if you spent the time it took you to make your 16 posts in this thread in training practicing your character(s) important link(s), you'd probably have several of them down at a solid success rate already.

Or I could just not care about this kinda lovely alpha fighting game instead. Y'know since I was just wondering why "accessible fighter" needed you to mash out/time normal combos instead of having an "accessible" normal combo setup like you would expect.

Spermgod posted:

I know saying a 5 frame window is incredibly easy to hit sounds like myopic fighting game nerds with no sense of perspective talking but it really is incredibly easy. It sounds small but it really is not.

1/12th of a second is in fact small. It really is fighting game nerds.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
You ever use a skill called Jump in Super Mario RPG?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Shukaro posted:

Or I could just not care about this kinda lovely alpha fighting game instead. Y'know since I was just wondering why "accessible fighter" needed you to mash out/time normal combos instead of having an "accessible" normal combo setup like you would expect.

Ok, bye then. I wish you luck in your future endeavors.

Dragas
Apr 21, 2010

something something polish lithuania commonwealth will rise from the ashes
in that case, I recommend avoiding all activities that require that sort of precise timing, like Mario Golf, or playing the piano.

Ixiggle
Apr 28, 2009
im not really interested in fighting people, hows the story mode??

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

Shukaro posted:

If you can't consistently hit a 1/12 second window with an accompanying visual cue then either your brain or your hands are broken

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

Shukaro posted:

1/12th of a second is in fact small

I guess you don't play any action, rhythm, shooter, or platformer games? Is it just like, select phone games and XCOM? Although to be fair, XCOM is pretty fukken sweet

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

I'm telling you man, autocombo

Noobs wouldn't complain about not being able to do damage and experienced players could learn better routes

Magic Bus
Nov 5, 2011

Shukaro posted:

If you hate links just antiair everyone with your one button dp and do a meaty attack on their wake-up. No links involved. Now it time for me to practice wake-up timings be right back.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

Buhbuhj posted:

You ever use a skill called Jump in Super Mario RPG?

Dude getting 14 super jumps is loving bullshit

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Mintergalactic posted:

I'm telling you man, autocombo

Noobs wouldn't complain about not being able to do damage and experienced players could learn better routes

We Persona now.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

1/12 of a second is only "small" if you think it's some sort of reaction time window

but there aren't any reactions involved in linking, you just press a button and then a very short time later press another(or even the same!) button again.

it's utterly robotic, rote, and simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

What the hell are links?

• Locked thread