Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I wish the buildings didn't fall apart like card houses, and had a bit more beef to em like Guerilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sandweed posted:

If they hadn't released it on 360 and PS3 we might have had a good game.

According to the DICE LA Devs on Reddit, the combination of time sunk making things work between 5 different platforms, coupled with having to learn to develop for the new consoles, probably killed a more varied Levolution system as much as the hardware limitations for any one platform. So it's probably a bit of last-gen holding it back, but also initial unfamiliarity with developing for the new consoles.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Samuel posted:

I wish the buildings didn't fall apart like card houses, and had a bit more beef to em like Guerilla.

Destruction on Guerrilla is fantastic, but the scale of poo poo going on the same map is also waaaaay lower than in BF4. But still, I love to make a hole small enough to shoot through or kill some guy hiding in a corner by blasting it with your hammer. Guerrilla MP has some good moments and now that it's steamworks and got its engine updated runs even better.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

A lot of levolution just makes the maps unfun or is unimpressive. On the Lancang Dam map it's hard to even tell it's happening/happened for all the impact it makes. Flood Zone just becomes even more unfun.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Destroying the building in the middle of Shanghai is always my #1 priority otherwise it starts breeding snipers.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

sitchelin posted:

Destroying the building in the middle of Shanghai is always my #1 priority otherwise it starts breeding snipers.

I'm banned from several Shanghai only servers for this

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chronojam posted:

A lot of levolution just makes the maps unfun or is unimpressive. On the Lancang Dam map it's hard to even tell it's happening/happened for all the impact it makes. Flood Zone just becomes even more unfun.

The destruction on the Dam map is the loving worst because half the time it gets damaged enough to start the alarm at the D point, which is generally where I focus a lot of my time on that map, and then it never completely collapses and the alarm. Never. STOPS.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/news/view/gear-up-for-battlefield-4-night-operations-2/
Is Zavod the only night map we're getting?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So is the title a joke or shall I rejoice in my new stroke of luck?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Tusen Takk posted:

It's as solid a game as you're likely to find. I never crash anymore, the goon base is small but fun, and they're still rolling out minor content. I'm the new guy at my job so I'm working the late shift, but I'd be playing all the time if I could.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

I crash on exit and nowhere else. Which is weird but fine. It also runs really well and I'm enjoying it.
So yeah, serious title. And still a healthy playerbase.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Zavod is just the first they got done. Golmud and Shanghai are the other two night maps, then Dragon Valley and the Community Map Project Map make up the last two of the five maps they're adding to the game.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

You kinda need it since, unless they changed it, you can't even play on servers with non-vanilla maps in rotation even if the current one is vanilla.
I was on PS3 at the time but before I got Premium I was playing vanilla maps just fine and got booted when a DLC map came around.

Pharmaskittle posted:

personally using and mastering a wide variety of weapons is a big part of the fun for me.
I kept getting wasted by some dude earlier whose tags said he had like 14,000 kills with the AK-12. Like seriously, I understand if you like it, and I'm an achievement whore who stops using a gun when I get the 500 kill tag because then I'm done with it, but seriously.

I wouldn't have been getting lit up so hard if the SKS wasn't a worthless piece of poo poo that I needed 50 headshots with for From Russia with Lead. :argh:

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 6, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

I crash on exit and nowhere else. Which is weird but fine. It also runs really well and I'm enjoying it.
So yeah, serious title. And still a healthy playerbase.

Sweet, I'll have to log on some time :D

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Is it actually going to be night, or more like "blue tinted day"?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

various cheeses posted:

Judging by the screenshot of Zavod: Graveyard Shift I saw on Battlelog yesterday it looks like "blue tinted day."

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Like we really need any more people exploiting the IRNV and FLIR scopes.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

various cheeses posted:

Actually fairly dark with a bit of fog. Also you can shoot out most of the lights on the map.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Like we really need any more people exploiting the IRNV and FLIR scopes.

Exploits such as... using them?

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

IRNV and FLIR fall to pieces with hand flares or laser sights in their face. They are really good now with people who smoke grenade themselves and use a DMR plus flash hider, or to bypass someone being sneaky with their own smoke cloud cover, but that's why you ought to play with goons or friends and divide up the role of hand flare vs. some other grenade type.

Hand flares also produce some smoke and last for a long time, too.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Olive Branch posted:

IRNV and FLIR fall to pieces with hand flares or laser sights in their face. They are really good now with people who smoke grenade themselves and use a DMR plus flash hider, or to bypass someone being sneaky with their own smoke cloud cover, but that's why you ought to play with goons or friends and divide up the role of hand flare vs. some other grenade type.

Hand flares also produce some smoke and last for a long time, too.

I dunno if they made it any less viable, but dropping infinite smokes at your feet as an IRNV-equipped LMG support with the grenade perk was basically unstoppable on maps like metro and locker and pretty much anything with relatively enclosed close quarters areas.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

I dunno if they made it any less viable, but dropping infinite smokes at your feet as an IRNV-equipped LMG support with the grenade perk was basically unstoppable on maps like metro and locker and pretty much anything with relatively enclosed close quarters areas.

Support, smoke grenades, FLIR, and shotgun frag rounds (with a side of mortar), are the only way I can have fun when Locker comes into a server. You barely get kills unless you're in the right spot at the right time, you'll die in situations where a more useful gun would have saved you, but drat if it isn't worth it for those times you manage to catch those 4 or 5 guys all around the same corner or firing into a crowded C stairwell.

Can't do this on Metro because anyone who plays Metro hates fun and bans shotguns and grenades.

Edit: VV Another reason to hate anybody who plays Metro.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 6, 2015

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Bohemian Nights posted:

Grenades now take like 15 minutes of sitting on top of an ammo box to reload, it's loving terrible.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dillbag posted:

Grenades now take like 15 minutes of sitting on top of an ammo box to reload, it's loving terrible.

Smokes and flashes take less time than explosives. If you play Locker or Metro now the best way to play is throwing as many flashbangs as possible.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

various cheeses posted:

Actual night

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

various cheeses posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5afqxwy5bHY
It looks pretty dark to me. Ignore the thumbnail.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5afqxwy5bHY
It looks pretty dark to me. Ignore the thumbnail.

This will either be utterly fantastic or insanely terrible on classic servers w/o doritos.
So. much. camping.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

mcbexx posted:

So. much. camping.

Battlefield becoming more and more realistic with every patch

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I just reinstalled this game, and i was wondering: are the DMRs still terrible? I like sniping but I don't like being that rear end in a top hat wookie sitting off in the middle of nowhere.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

JAssassin posted:

So I just reinstalled this game, and i was wondering: are the DMRs still terrible? I like sniping but I don't like being that rear end in a top hat wookie sitting off in the middle of nowhere.

No, they buffed them pretty significantly in some patch a good while ago. The QBU-88 is one of the best weapons in the game at mid-long range.

e: to quote an old post I made about it:

"it could be the fact that it very nearly has the firing ratio of the SKS but double its muzzle velocity, and the highest in the game besides. It helps that it has superior or equal bullet spread and hip-firing to all the other DMRs, and that its only drawbacks comes in the form of limited magazine size and a longer reload animation. With the QBU-88 I don't just find it easier to hit moving targets at range, I find it easy. Grab a deagle to go with it, and you're covered for all ranges."

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 7, 2015

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Dillbag posted:

Wait, ammo packs actually give you frag grenades? I know they give you C4 and XM25 ammo slowly...

JAssassin posted:

They're pretty much the only thing worth using on a mostly wide open map like Hangar 21 or anything China Rising. I never found them to be poo poo at all apart from the SKS. I'd say the SCAR-H SV and Mk11 are the best. The QBU-88 is good but its magazine is small enough that I end up getting killed cause I ran empty way too much.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Friar Zucchini posted:

I never found them to be poo poo at all apart from the SKS. I'd say the SCAR-H SV and Mk11 are the best. The QBU-88 is good but its magazine is small enough that I end up getting killed cause I ran empty way too much.

The SKS isn't poo poo at all, you just need to use it correctly and at medium rather than long range. It has the highest rate of fire of all the DMRs and very comfortable recoil for spamming purposes. You solve the problem with the QBU-88s limited ammunition by hitting your shots- if you can't kill a dude with the first 11 you're probably toast anyway, regardless of remaining rounds!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Bohemian Nights posted:

Grab a deagle to go with it, and you're covered for all ranges."

Fuuuck. I still have to unlock the UNICA 6, and I remember that being impossible just due to the fact that literally nobody was playing the required map last time I was playing. :(

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

The SKS isn't poo poo at all, you just need to use it correctly and at medium rather than long range. It has the highest rate of fire of all the DMRs and very comfortable recoil for spamming purposes. You solve the problem with the QBU-88s limited ammunition by hitting your shots- if you can't kill a dude with the first 11 you're probably toast anyway, regardless of remaining rounds!
All I can tell is with the SKS I can literally see the bullets going places other than where I'm aiming. It does not take well at all to anything involving precision. It can fill a role between assault rifles and DMR's, but IMO it's not a DMR - marksmanship just goes to waste.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
After the last round of patches, The QBU lost a bit of its effectiveness due to the spread nerfs and also having its minimum damage lowered, which made it susceptible to Body Armor taking away the headshot-bodyshot double tap, and firing three shots as fast as possible carries your spread up to hipfire levels of bloom. The SCAR-SV is still my favorite. Even though it got hit fairly hard by the accuracy changes, having the lowest horizontal recoil in the game combined with a fast reload and 20rd magazine is pretty great for being a harasser. The SVD-12 might have lower spread increase, and the MK11 might have a lower spread, but, well, gently caress 'em.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I went to okay today and I got kicked from the server by punk buster for not having a something.exe or something like that... What gives?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
When did they add the AN-94? It's even got the awesome two round burst mode. Forget DMRs, I'm using that all the time again. Doubletap motherfuckers. :getin:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

JAssassin posted:

When did they add the AN-94? It's even got the awesome two round burst mode. Forget DMRs, I'm using that all the time again. Doubletap motherfuckers. :getin:
An update went out few months ago that added a handful of extra guns.

...Speaking of adding extra guns, I wanna see an add-on with two more categories. Historical and Sporting. Historical could have guns that mostly compete alright but of course newer guns have updates for a good reason - start off with a flintlock and a Sharps for sniper rifles, and in relevant categories an M1 Garand, FAL, M16A1, AKM, Thompson, BAR and a PPSh-41. The Sporting category would get real interesting cause it'd be weapons people use for hunting, not war, so maybe give a handicap bonus for each kill depending on the weapon - mostly just an excuse to have a side by side shotgun, four-round deer rifle with rounds inserted through the top one by one, lever-action "assault rifle" and most importantly a 10/22. Maybe a .32 derringer for good measure.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 8, 2015

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Wow the reworked DMRs are actually really fun! I spent a few hours toodling around the the QBU today and was doing great with the angled grip/canted iron sights / 4x. It handles nicely and works out as a real tight mid range gun that can even perform hip fired in a pinch. I'm gonna give the SCAR a try next.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Yet another reason BC2 was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Arcella posted:

Yet another reason BC2 was great.

Assault having the M1 Garand, C4 and ammo box (or replace the M1 with the thompson) was like a drug. And the overpowered slugs :love:

• Locked thread