Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Well at least he will be alive and never see any future batman movies. Don't they do something if they find out you arn't insane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i hate to break it to you but yes he will get to see new batman movies in prison. no justice no peace

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Commie NedFlanders posted:

red army officers executing soldiers for raping their way through berlin as it fell
:lol:

Yeah that happened what like 4 or 5 times?

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Lol why didn't they kill this guy?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ill Peripheral posted:

Lol why didn't they kill this guy?

dont worry you'll be paying the owner of a private supermax a lot of your tax dollars to provide this guy with the bare minimum needed to sustain himself for the rest of his life

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
No I live in Canada, we pay a lot more so that our "insane" murderers can live a better life than many in general society.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Ehud posted:

I always wanted to serve on a jury for some horrible murder case like this

You think it'd be cool to get a murder trial, but no. Friend of mine got called for jury duty and thought it'd be a couple of weeks off work. She ended up been drawn for a 3 month long baby murder case. Had to hear gruesome poo poo and lost out on her usual salary while stuck in court.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

dont worry you'll be paying the owner of a private supermax a lot of your tax dollars to provide this guy with the bare minimum needed to sustain himself for the rest of his life
Versus even more money while a death row inmate expends appeals, which is lawful, just, and necessary and coincidentally extremely expensive, way more than feeding gruel to an inmate for a few decades.

What kind of shithead unironically thinks THEIR PRECIOUS TAX DOLLARS are a justification for killing people? A total fuckshit probably

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i hope they sentence him to watch all the batman movies forever

and the nolan ones not the burton ones

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

gfanikf posted:

:lol:

Yeah that happened what like 4 or 5 times?

It was quite rare, Red Army soldiers could usually pay the bribe what with all the looting and all.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Nooner posted:

if everyone in the theater had a gun then this wouldnt have happened....

.....oh poo poo wait yes it would have he was wearing a ton of body armor lol

no he wasn't. he was wearing a helmet and leggings. anyone shooting center of mass would have killed him.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

no he wasn't. he was wearing a helmet and leggings. anyone shooting center of mass would have killed him.

While they choked on tear gas

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

VendaGoat posted:

While they choked on tear gas

yeah

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
seriously though if you want people to not do this then the only solution is public humiliation followed by execution

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The White Dragon posted:

the average salary of someone who admits they routinely sleep in an office near cages of people in america is 21 dollars, support are Troops

but if you try to get 15 dollars (and make it take 5 years first) to someone who actually makes your lovely food all day you have a class war

thanks american media for putting poor people at war with each other while you spend their tax dollars on caging their peers

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
i would feel more ok with the amount of money wasted on the prison system if they actually did that one part of their job involving making the world safe for us when they release these people, but they pay them 10 cents an hour to make your license plates instead then they trade butt sex for cigarettes and one day suddenly they go YOU'RE FREE, GET A JOB W/ UR NEW LIFE SKILLS

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I think it's good we have prisons other wise guys like this would be roaming the streets

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hemophilia posted:

Versus even more money while a death row inmate expends appeals, which is lawful, just, and necessary and coincidentally extremely expensive, way more than feeding gruel to an inmate for a few decades.

honestly idgaf re: life sentence vs death sentence but i mean surely the ceos of private prisons legally embezzle their federal funding like the greedy pieces of poo poo they are and take far more than they actually use or need

or is this guy just getting tossed in a federal prison and cutting out the middleman with an mba

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pirivate prisons are really bad, I agree on that.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

hey did anybody talk about how hilarious his impending prison rape is

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

seriously though if you want people to not do this then the only solution is public humiliation followed by execution

I......

I haven't a good argument against this.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Harald posted:

i hope they sentence him to watch all the batman movies forever

and the nolan ones not the burton ones

suicide squad trailer on endless loop

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

extra stout posted:

the average salary of someone who admits they routinely sleep in an office near cages of people in america is 21 dollars

a 21 dollar salary, huh

are you sure you're not talking about like zimbabwe or something

VendaGoat posted:

I......

I haven't a good argument against this.

that's because it's loving true. you might note that these mass shooters are basically never poor desperate people with actual problems, they're people with relatively decent lives, who have the comfort necessary to indulge in existentialism and undergo existential crises and then realise that the easy answer to that is to murder a bunch of people and then become instantly famous. if we tied them up in public, stripped them naked, and whipped them until they passed out and shat themselves, and then shot their unconscious bodies in the head, I'm pretty sure that the frequency of this happening would plummet down to pretty much nothing.

the alternative is banning media coverage of these things happening but that has a lot of other unfortunate implications, I think my idea is a lot simpler.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

a 21 dollar salary, huh

are you sure you're not talking about like zimbabwe or something

that's because it's loving true. you might note that these mass shooters are basically never poor desperate people with actual problems, they're people with relatively decent lives, who have the comfort necessary to indulge in existentialism and undergo existential crises and then realise that the easy answer to that is to murder a bunch of people and then become instantly famous. if we tied them up in public, stripped them naked, and whipped them until they passed out and shat themselves, and then shot their unconscious bodies in the head, I'm pretty sure that the frequency of this happening would plummet down to pretty much nothing.

the alternative is banning media coverage of these things happening but that has a lot of other unfortunate implications, I think my idea is a lot simpler.

dont expect me to use the right words and stuff, and actually it's a poo poo stat because it's national, a lot of COs break 6 figures for literally sleeping in a castle full of weed lords

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
the word you were looking for was "wage". a salary is an amount you are paid annually. so if someone's hourly wage is $21 then their salary would be ~$43k.

but really prison is irrelevant to this topic, the nature of these crimes is one that a corrective prison system has no way to address. prison, properly managed and utilised, is a great way to deal with the majority of offenders, but not guys like this.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

You've lost me.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

VendaGoat posted:

You've lost me.

most offenders commit violent crimes due to desperation or greed combined with a lack of other options and poor impulse control, along with other emotional deficits that I don't really have the expertise to discuss in-depth. the vast majority of these offenders can benefit from various rehabilitative strategies, even (despite popular belief) rapists.

then you have psychopathic predators, ideologically motivated offenders, and mass murderers like this guy and seung-hui cho. these three categories of offenders cannot generally be rehabilitated, only deterred.

mass murderers generally are not psychopaths, but they are extremely neurotic. there are outliers, but there's a reason that they tend to be white, middle-class males. they are raised with the expectation of fulfilling a certain standard of life, and suffer extreme anxiety when they fail, or believe they have failed, to live up to that.

I don't think anyone needs to be reminded thoroughly of the deplorable way the media cover these things. they don't even pretend that they're not indulging in a disgusting macabre fascination with the shooters, they turn them into loving celebrities. most of us can still recognise that, though, as negative attention. but to a troubled individual it resembles the position of adoration and attention to which they feel entitled. elliott rogers or whatever his name was, the "I'm going to shoot up a sorority because women won't sleep with me" guy, is the most hilariously obvious example of this.

now tumblers will bring up this point as a way of saying "see? I told you we need to dismantle the white cishet patriarchy" and loving lol, people who think cultural hegemony and social hierarchies are ever going away need a cold shower. but what we do need to do is unequivocally and brutally show these goons that murdering people is not a viable way of obtaining fame and attention.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

most offenders commit violent crimes due to desperation or greed combined with a lack of other options and poor impulse control, along with other emotional deficits that I don't really have the expertise to discuss in-depth. the vast majority of these offenders can benefit from various rehabilitative strategies, even (despite popular belief) rapists.

then you have psychopathic predators, ideologically motivated offenders, and mass murderers like this guy and seung-hui cho. these three categories of offenders cannot generally be rehabilitated, only deterred.

mass murderers generally are not psychopaths, but they are extremely neurotic. there are outliers, but there's a reason that they tend to be white, middle-class males. they are raised with the expectation of fulfilling a certain standard of life, and suffer extreme anxiety when they fail, or believe they have failed, to live up to that.

I don't think anyone needs to be reminded thoroughly of the deplorable way the media cover these things. they don't even pretend that they're not indulging in a disgusting macabre fascination with the shooters, they turn them into loving celebrities. most of us can still recognise that, though, as negative attention. but to a troubled individual it resembles the position of adoration and attention to which they feel entitled. elliott rogers or whatever his name was, the "I'm going to shoot up a sorority because women won't sleep with me" guy, is the most hilariously obvious example of this.

now tumblers will bring up this point as a way of saying "see? I told you we need to dismantle the white cishet patriarchy" and loving lol, people who think cultural hegemony and social hierarchies are ever going away need a cold shower. but what we do need to do is unequivocally and brutally show these goons that murdering people is not a viable way of obtaining fame and attention.

I.... No... Not you lost me because I don't understand. You've lost me because I don't agree.

If you really want an honest response... Say so and I will sober up and reply in earnest. But, for simple GBS repose. " LOL you care." will have to do for tonight.

I'm simply too drunk to give a rat's rear end.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I do not care in the least bit, I think stopping mass shootings is about as important as stopping toddlers from drowning in back yards. actually the latter is much more of a thing than the former, so I guess it's less important than that. I'm more concerned with things infinitely more likely to affect me, like population control and macroeconomics.

but if you do care then there you go, that's how you stop it from happening

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Yah, I don't like hearing about little kids dying for no reason.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

the joker never dies, just goes to arkham asylum and breaks out eventually

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

That guy was batshit insane. I remember reading that he started hallucinating violent shadows as a small kid. He couldn't sleep at night because nail ghosts were constantly hammering the walls in his room, trying to hang a picture or something. Reading this poo poo really stuck with me, because :wtc:.

Nothing humiliating or scary you can think up would have stopped him. I recommend to go read that thread in e/n with the push-babystroller-through-texas-desert idiot. It made me really understand what mental illness is for the first time. You'll realise that the only thing that will make you feels save from violent schizophrenic people is a psychiatrist and a shitton of antipsychotic medicine. You are lying to yourself if you think there is anything else that will help your safety.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
if he's that crazy then killing him is sort of a mercy

anyway I don't know the details about this particular guy because idgaf but I'm pretty sure that psychosis is as much an outlier in mass murderers as mass murdering is among schizophrenics

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

waitwhatno posted:

That guy was batshit insane. I remember reading that he started hallucinating violent shadows as a small kid. He couldn't sleep at night because nail ghosts were constantly hammering the walls in his room, trying to hang a picture or something. Reading this poo poo really stuck with me, because :wtc:.

Nothing humiliating or scary you can think up would have stopped him. I recommend to go read that thread in e/n with the push-babystroller-through-texas-desert idiot. It made me really understand what mental illness is for the first time. You'll realise that the only thing that will make you feels save from violent schizophrenic people is a psychiatrist and a shitton of antipsychotic medicine. You are lying to yourself if you think there is anything else that will help your safety.

ya kill em

"kill the brain and u kill the crazy"
- Aristoteles

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Zzulu posted:

ya kill em

"kill the brain and u kill the crazy"
- Aristoteles

That's what I thought first too. I was putting an oil finish on my baseball bat, getting ready to go out and smash some crazy brain and then I realised something. There is no way to spot them! Like, this guy was a honors student with zero warning signs and a model life. Even his ex-gf didn't think he could do it.

if he's that crazy then killing him is sort of a mercy

anyway I don't know the details about this particular guy because idgaf but I'm pretty sure that psychosis is as much an outlier in mass murderers as mass murdering is among schizophrenics

Elliot rogers, the boy who never scored, killed himself after his pathetic attempt at a killing spree. So good luck deterring guys like him with a death sentence. I think the majority of mass murderers were some kind of batshit insane. Most of them commit suicide after, so i'm really sceptical about your plan.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

waitwhatno posted:

That's what I thought first too. I was putting an oil finish on my baseball bat, getting ready to go out and smash some crazy brain and then I realised something. There is no way to spot them! Like, this guy was a honors student with zero warning signs and a model life. Even his ex-gf didn't think he could do it.

Elliot rogers, the boy who never scored, killed himself after his pathetic attempt at a killing spree. So good luck deterring guys like him with a death sentence. I think the majority of mass murderers were some kind of batshit insane. Most of them commit suicide after, so i'm really sceptical about your plan.

I thought it was pretty clear that I was not suggesting a death sentence would be a deterrent. public humiliation would be. killing them immediately after is just to make sure that the last memory anyone has of them is as a broken, weak, whimpering loser.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I thought it was pretty clear that I was not suggesting a death sentence would be a deterrent. public humiliation would be. killing them immediately after is just to make sure that the last memory anyone has of them is as a broken, weak, whimpering loser.

Lol, sorry man. I feel like your heart is in the right place, but ... have you read Elliot rogers manifesto? what can a human being even do to another that would be more humiliating than writing that thing?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

waitwhatno posted:

Lol, sorry man. I feel like your heart is in the right place, but ... have you read Elliot rogers manifesto? what can a human being even do to another that would be more humiliating than writing that thing?

lmbo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
why did that dumbass die his hair red? Maybe he would have gotten laid without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

waitwhatno posted:

Which mass murder wrote that godawful play thing? It was about a guy beating up his stepdad or something and was laugh out loud hilarious .

• Locked thread