Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Anyone willing to part with about a platoon of unpainted flames of war infantry? I'm looking to add to my bolt action / chain of command 15mm collection.

Russia or US, I have Brits and Germans at the moment.

Pm or email me at evan.bale@gmail.com

I have a bunch of painted and unpainted germans that I could give away, but yeah. They're germans. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

DJ Dizzy posted:

1st Lieutenant: regular; rifle 75
1 Infantry: rifle 7

Free Rifle Squad: anti-tank grenades
11 Veteran Squad: 11× SMG; panzerfaust 181
12 Rifle Squad 84
12 Rifle Squad 84
12 Rifle Squad 84

DShK Heavy Machine Gun Team 35
Sniper Team 50
Heavy Mortar Team 46

BS-3 Anti-tank Gun 88

T-34/85: regular 235

Truck 31

1.000 points

This then?

If I were you I'd ditch a rifle squad and use those points to turn the HMG into a regular one and change a Rifle Squad into a regular squad with rifles.
The reason for this is that the inexperienced squads tend to die rather quickly and especialy with the HMG they won't hit the large side of a barn if it's behind some cover and at long range etc.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Right, for Bolt Action I now have a box of plastic grenadiers, a command blister, a 81mm mortar blister, a medium machine gun blister and a Leig 18 75mm artillery gun.

I know nothing about Bolt action. The Hitlers buzzsaw rule makes it seem like LMGs in squads are a good idea, but I don't know if this is true.

Can I get a proper 1000 point army list out of this? Thread veterans, what do you recommend?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

moths posted:

Is Warlord doing any plastic early war tank kits?

I'm not aware of any super early war ones

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Thundercloud posted:

Right, for Bolt Action I now have a box of plastic grenadiers, a command blister, a 81mm mortar blister, a medium machine gun blister and a Leig 18 75mm artillery gun.

I know nothing about Bolt action. The Hitlers buzzsaw rule makes it seem like LMGs in squads are a good idea, but I don't know if this is true.

Can I get a proper 1000 point army list out of this? Thread veterans, what do you recommend?

It seems like this is what you gots:

quote:

Second Lieutenant (page: 20) Veteran 78
1 Second Lieutenant
1 Infantry (equipped as modeled)

Infantry Squads
Heer Veteran Grenadier squad (page: 22) Veteran 121
1 NCO with Submachine gun
1 Infantry with Assault rifle
1 Infantry with Light Machine gun
3 Infantry with Rifle
1 Infantry with Submachine gun
Entire squad equipped with anti-tank grenades Tank hunters

3 Infantry with Rifle

3 Infantry with Rifle

3 Infantry with Rifle

Medium Machine Gun team (page: 30) Veteran 65

Medium Mortar team (page: 32) Veteran 75
1 Spotter

Artillery
Light Artillery (page: 34) Veteran 60

TOTAL: 762

I made everything veteran and gave the squads AT grenades to take up points; you could make them regular and remove grenades to save some. Veterans are definitely mathematically better. You only have 8 order dice there - I would suggest:

SdKfz 234/2 'Puma' Heavy Armoured Car Armies of Germany - page: 62 (160 pts) - plastic

Panzer 38(t) Armies of Germany - page: 45 (162 pts at veteran) - resin

Panzer II Ausf L 'Luchs' Armies of Germany - page: 45 (138 pts veteran) - resin

Panzer III Ausf L, M Armies of Germany - page: 46 (195 pts regular) - resin

Hetzer - (210 pts regular) - resin

Marder III Ausf H, M Armies of Germany - page: 55 (165 pts regular) - resin

Marder II Armies of Germany - page: 55 (160 pts regular) - resin

Any of these things will make a nice addition. If you did the puma, you could then add a sniper team and round out 1000 pts with 10 order dice.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

So I guess Warlord Games really is serious about being the major 28mm historical miniatures company? Just shortly after they made a deal with Pro Gloria to take care of that range, they are to become the exclusive retailer worldwide for Wargames Factory. If I understand the newsletter correctly, WGF will now concentrate on making kits, and sell them through WG.

It kind of makes sense though. WG are much better at marketing, so that helps WGF, and at the same time WG now cover a lot more periods and ranges.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Im thinking of getting 3 armies at 500 points each to help introduce new players to the game. Is that a decent amount to learn the game at?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
I think that should be fine. I would run smaller squads for more order dice and obviously don't use big vehicles

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeap, I'm going to do something similar by building a couple balanced 1k armies that would legitimately fight, with some standard options, so that I won't have to track down opponents who are necessarily invested in buying and building a bunch of tanks and mans. It's time to put my money where my mouth is on this one. I guess the D-Day kit would be a good start...

At least for Germans, squads would regularly split up into an assault element and cover element anyway. The rules aren't meant to necessarily represent standard issue TOE. They are also meant to represent what happens when a platoon of 50 is down to half strength, the new replacements are at least a day away and you have to fight anyway... maybe in a situation where you have a cache of weapons and ammo that wasn't necessarily issued to you because that whole other platoon was wiped out to a man yesterday. If you want to play fresh platoons with only the standard issue gear, you can, I guess. I'm not. The Sturmpioniere box comes with equal parts MP40s (which my osprey book about pionieres says they were rarely issued, even the NCO's were issued K98s) and looted PPSh, which they definitely weren't issued!

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 8, 2015

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I think that should be fine. I would run smaller squads for more order dice and obviously don't use big vehicles

Dis is exactly what I was gonna post

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Here's an example of a quick 500pt game. Historical accuracy fans avert your eyes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK-kAYvun7U

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Here's an example of a quick 500pt game. Historical accuracy fans avert your eyes

I'm way more interested in Bolt Action now that I know you can field cavalry. :black101:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Those build an army offers on the WG website, is it an infantry box, or just a full squad of infantry?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

Those build an army offers on the WG website, is it an infantry box, or just a full squad of infantry?

It's a full squad. I bought the Italian bersaglieri one and it's four boxes of 10 dudes, not four boxes of 21 dudes. Still a huge value.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

muggins posted:

It's a full squad. I bought the Italian bersaglieri one and it's four boxes of 10 dudes, not four boxes of 21 dudes. Still a huge value.

So the russkie would be 2 boxes of 12 dudes :(

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

DJ Dizzy posted:

So the russkie would be 2 boxes of 12 dudes :(

It looks like for that one it's two plastic boxes. So something like 70-80 dudes that you can equip with mostly rifles but some special weapons.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

muggins posted:

It looks like for that one it's two plastic boxes. So something like 70-80 dudes that you can equip with mostly rifles but some special weapons.

Confirm it is 80 dudes for two plastic boxes of Russians.

I now want to get on the cavalry bandwagon as well.

Is there anything that stops you fielding multiple platoons in a game, seeing as a platoon is a HQ plus two infantry squads, plus options?

Also where are the rules for Goliaths? I've got the main rulebook and Armies of Germany, but the Pioneer choice is very limited in that.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I apologize for bringing this up again, but for everyone interested in picking up Bolt Action:

Check out the Bolt Action.net 2.0 Season Rules modifications

They make the game better. They piss of Alessio Calvatore. It's the best of both worlds.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

I apologize for bringing this up again, but for everyone interested in picking up Bolt Action:

They make the game better. They piss of Alessio Calvatore. It's the best of both worlds.

Those sweet, sweet Calvatore tears.

Anyway, speaking of cavalry, here's a shameless plug for my clubmate who is busy converting Soviet cavalry and making lists for them for Chain of Command:

http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/red-cavalry-ww2

According to his research, it was quite common for the cavalry to operate in a kind of pincer move. One section would dismount and attack the enemy head on by foot, to tie them down and hold their attention, and then have the other section attack them by horse, hopefully with a flank or rear charge. So the cavalry list he built for CoC has the sections come dismounted as standard, and then you can buy them horses for extra support points.

I also started converting some Perry Miniatures Afrikakorps, to use as Gebirgsjäger. An unsuspected side effect is that they make my Warlord Games Germans look like gorillas!

Overall they're growing on me, and I like that they will stick out a lot from the rest of the troops.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 8, 2015

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Thundercloud posted:

Confirm it is 80 dudes for two plastic boxes of Russians.

I now want to get on the cavalry bandwagon as well.

Is there anything that stops you fielding multiple platoons in a game, seeing as a platoon is a HQ plus two infantry squads, plus options?

Also where are the rules for Goliaths? I've got the main rulebook and Armies of Germany, but the Pioneer choice is very limited in that.

You can take more than one reinforced platoon. I believe the dot net rules limit you to only platoons.

Re: Goliath I believe they're in the faq extra units PDF on WLG website.

Edit: I am painting British Perrys right now and I have DAK too and they're amazing. Love it. Putting together some Brit Sikhs for a buddy too.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

muggins posted:

You can take more than one reinforced platoon. I believe the dot net rules limit you to only platoons.

Edit: I am painting British Perrys right now and I have DAK too and they're amazing. Love it. Putting together some Brit Sikhs for a buddy too.

Basically the thing about multi platoons is that MSU is king in bolt action due to the activation system so they want to limit that.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dirt Worshipper posted:

This is how I'm doing it, mostly because It's loving mindblowing that transports can't shoot after you dismount the squad because every goddamn transport was also intended to offer extra fire support for the squad it transported and had crew dedicated to that purpose. I don't know how I like the LMG points reduction and RoF boost and flamer nerf, etc. because I haven't spent a lot of time with the system. That thing about the transports bugged me.

muggins posted:

http://www.warlordgames.com/downloads/pdf/BA-additional-units.pdf

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 8, 2015

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

osirisisdead posted:

This is how I'm doing it, mostly because It's loving mindblowing that transports can't shoot after you dismount the squad because every goddamn transport was also intended to offer extra fire support for the squad it transported and had crew dedicated to that purpose. I don't know how I like the LMG points reduction and RoF boost and flamer nerf, etc. because I haven't spent a lot of time with the system. That thing about the transports bugged me.

Definitely try both to see for yourself. The main complaint from people about vanilla bolt action is that

(a) buying LMG's isn't cost effective, so people used to run rifle spam
(b) MMG's weren't cost effective.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

OK guys, 750 point army list consisting of pretty much everything I've got.

1st Lieutenant Veteran 90

1st Squad: Heer Grenadier Squad Training
NCO & 9 men Regular 145
armed with: 6 Rifles, 1 Light Machine Gun, 3 Assault Rifles, 2 Panzerfausts

2nd Squad: Heer Grenadier Squad Training
NCO & 9 men Regular 145
armed with: 6 Rifles, 1 Light Machine Gun, 3 Assault Rifles, 2 Panzerfausts

Support Units
3rd Squad: Heer Veteran Grenadier Infantry Squad Training
NCO & 9 men Veteran 190
armed with: 3 Rifles, 1 Light Machine Gun, 6 Assault Rifles, 2 Panzerfausts

Other Support
Medic Veteran 30

MMG Regular 50

Medium Mortar Regular 50

Light Artillery Regular 50

750 exactly 8 order dice

Medic goes with the Veterans, all squads have a couple of panzerfausts to upset tanks. Standard squads throw out 16 dice, Vet squad 19.

I've put together the support teams, based all the plastic bodies but not put the weapons on yet. I'll be doing that tomorrow and undercoating them.

Does this list look ok?

For the next 250 points I was thinking of adding the Last Levy box with this 2nd platoon.

HQ Training Points
2nd Lieutenant Regular 50

1st Squad: Volkssturm Squad Training
NCO & 4 men Inexperienced 58
armed with: 4 Rifles, 1 Submachine Gun, 4 Panzerfausts

2nd Squad
NCO & 7 men Inexperienced 77
armed with: 6 Rifles, 2 Submachine Guns, 3 Panzerfausts

Support Units
3rd Squad
NCO & 4 men Inexperienced 63
armed with: 4 Rifles, 1 Submachine Gun, 4 Panzerfausts

Which doesn't match the elite super nazis that a lot of players go for, but which would give me lots more anti-tank and some expendable chaff.

Or should I go for a tank and AT gun?

Thoughts?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Cool. I dig it. That Last Levy box is awesome. You're right. That's entirely different from the veteran Panzergrenadier Pioniers that I'm building for ze Germans.

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Definitely try both to see for yourself. The main complaint from people about vanilla bolt action is that

Thinking about it, since it has to have a loader and a shooter, it basically only gets 6 inches of range on two dice and one extra die from shooting for most LMG's... and then 6 inches of range on three dice and -1 die of shooting for 20 points compared to the 5 point assault rifles... So I definitely like these changes... But I'll probably start playing Chain of Command sooner rather than later as the *cough* "reviews" that I've read make it seem like refined extra 40 year old virgin awesomesauce. Is there a US distributor or can I only buy it straight from them? It seems really loving cool.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Basically the thing about multi platoons is that MSU is king in bolt action due to the activation system so they want to limit that.

I don't know if MSU is definitely king since it's a lot easier to make small units run away. It does make it possible to take multiple air observers and stuff and really gently caress with people tho.

quote:

The dot net format definitely helps the game. I would say that the only real broken things are flamethrower, but they don't totally 40k break the game. LMGs are really helped with the format and become ubiquitous like they were during the war.

For noobies I wanted so say that BA is definitely not riddled with problems - there are a few annoyances that are fixed with the dot net format and could be fixed with a new version.

muggins fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Aug 9, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

osirisisdead posted:

Cool. I dig it. That Last Levy box is awesome. You're right. That's entirely different from the veteran Panzergrenadier Pioniers that I'm building for ze Germans.

Thinking about it, since it has to have a loader and a shooter, it basically only gets 6 inches of range on two dice and one extra die from shooting for most LMG's... and then 6 inches of range on three dice and -1 die of shooting for 20 points compared to the 5 point assault rifles... So I definitely like these changes... But I'll probably start playing Chain of Command sooner rather than later as the *cough* "reviews" that I've read make it seem like refined extra 40 year old virgin awesomesauce. Is there a US distributor or can I only buy it straight from them? It seems really loving cool.

Yeah, coc solves these issues by saying "here's an actual platoon, as it was deployed, that is what you'll play". By removing most of the list building, you get away from a lot of these discussion, but you lose some of the gameyness of the game, so to say. I can totally see the appeal of listbuilding in games like BA and FoW, but it also has some clear negative effects, especially if you want to play somewhat historical forces. So I think it's a good idea to try both and see which one you like more. You might even like bt of them, but in different ways.

But yeah, I'm playing Germans in CoC most of the time, and it is strange to hear about weak LMGs. In CoC your LMG has more firepower than all the rest of the riflemen in the squad.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Brigade Games sells CoC I think. I would definitely still give BA a fair shot. I read through the CoC rules and while I'd like to try it at a con it kinda turned me off learning it as the command dice mechanic seemed very very random and the game seemed somewhat complicated. I know they write cool themey games I just don't want to barrel through by myself

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not sure how lethal everything is or how random the command dice ends up being compared to randomly drawing dice out of a bag. I'm specifically looking for different games to put together that kind of good-to-go-convention-demo, or saturday-afternoon-at-the-FLGS-demo as a matter of course rather than thinking about tournament-style competition-gaming. I have other games if I want to do that. I don't expect every gamer in the world to suddenly want to spend a couple hundred bucks on plastic tanks and soldier dollies, but I do expect every gamer, or at least the vast majority of them, to be alright spending a couple hours rolling some dice and playing with my tanks and mans.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

muggins posted:

I don't know if MSU is definitely king since it's a lot easier to make small units run away. It does make it possible to take multiple air observers and stuff and really gently caress with people tho.

It's almost always better to get a whole new squad than buy more rifles for an existing squad if at all possible because each squad brings with it a command die and getting more activations and consecutive activations is a lot better than morale benefits. It's a similar issue in almost every alternating activation game(SW Armada is notable for this).

muggins posted:

Brigade Games sells CoC I think. I would definitely still give BA a fair shot. I read through the CoC rules and while I'd like to try it at a con it kinda turned me off learning it as the command dice mechanic seemed very very random and the game seemed somewhat complicated. I know they write cool themey games I just don't want to barrel through by myself

It's not too bad- you're almost always gonna get a chance to do something. The swinginess of having a bunch of 6s is a bit of a problem but the command dice mechanic usually works, especially if you use a force with good leadership. I like the machine guns way better in CoC than BA, as well as the force selection.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Aug 9, 2015

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Panzeh posted:

It's almost always better to get a whole new squad than buy more rifles for an existing squad if at all possible because each squad brings with it a command die and getting more activations and consecutive activations is a lot better than morale benefits. It's a similar issue in almost every alternating activation game(SW Armada is notable for this).

I don't see many lists with a ton of activation dice doing amazing - mostly it is much better to have veterans, and probably five squads of them. You don't really need an extra platoon to do that.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

OK guys, how about this list?

HQ Training Points
1st Lieutenant Regular 75

1st Squad: Heer Grenadier Squad Training
NCO & 5 men Regular 105
armed with: 2 Rifles, 1 Light Machine Gun, 3 Assault Rifles, 2 Panzerfausts

2nd Squad: Heer Grenadier Squad Training
NCO & 5 men Regular 105
armed with: 2 Rifles, 1 Light Machine Gun, 3 Assault Rifles, 2 Panzerfausts

Support Units
3rd Squad: Heer Veteran Grenadier Infantry Squad Training
NCO & 5 men Veteran 120
armed with: 6 Assault Rifles and AT grenades

4th Squad: Heer Grenadier Squad Training
NCO & 5 men Regular 78
armed with: 4 Rifles, 2 Submachine Guns and AT grenades

5th Squad: Heer Grenadier Squad Training
NCO & 5 men Regular 87
armed with: 3 Rifles, 3 Assault Rifles and AT grenades

Other Support
Medic Veteran 30

MMG Regular 50

Medium Mortar Regular 50

Light Artillery Regular 50

Total Points 750

9 Activations, 4 Panzerfaust and 3 squads with AT grenades, 2 squads configured for assault (6 Vets, assault rifles for all, AT grenades, and 6 Regular, 2 SMGs, AT grenades).

Smaller squads, some more specialised, with two fire support squads with Assault rifles, Panzerfausts and an LMG - 12 dice of shooting, 9 dice in assault), a Vet assault squad (12 dice shooting, 12 dice assault) etc.

Thoughts?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Ive come up with two 500 point lists for introducing new people to the game

2nd Lieutenant 50

5 Heer Infantry Squad: LMG 70
5 Heer Infantry Squad: LMG 70
5 Veteran Heer Grenadier Squad: assault rifle (NCO); 4× assault rifle; panzerfaust 95

Medium Machine Gun Team: regular 50

50mm PAK 38: regular 75

Sd.Kfz 251/1 Hanomag: regular 89

499 points

And

2nd Lieutenant 35
1 Infantry 7

Free Rifle Squad: anti-tank grenades
5 Guards Squad: panzerfaust 55
5 Guards Squad: panzerfaust 55
5 Veteran Squad: 5× SMG 80

DShK Heavy Machine Gun Team: regular 56

ZIS-3 Divisional Gun: regular 80

SU-76: regular; light howitzer/medium anti-tank gun (front arc) 125

493 points

Would this work?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Thundercloud posted:

Smaller squads, some more specialised, with two fire support squads with Assault rifles, Panzerfausts and an LMG - 12 dice of shooting, 9 dice in assault), a Vet assault squad (12 dice shooting, 12 dice assault) etc.

Thoughts?
At 750 Pts I'd drop the lt. Down to a second, limit it to one or two assault rifle per squad and add bodies. You have small squads with valuable weapons on dudes so you don't have scrubs to throw wounds on. I'm a huge fan of including the weapons teams etc.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Would this work?

I might consider putting a mortar in the German army to show that player how indirect fire works. Perhaps a sniper on one side to show how those work.

muggins fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 9, 2015

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Hey duders, I interviewed the Warlord Games guys and Skirmish Sangin guys at GenCon. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSYwyb62w2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UaXTZdNKhs

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

muggins posted:

Hey duders, I interviewed the Warlord Games guys and Skirmish Sangin guys at GenCon. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSYwyb62w2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UaXTZdNKhs

Not bad. Real advice. Pick up a hand held mic and you would get much better audio with less crowd noise. Better yet get a separate audio set up and the quality will be even better.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

Not bad. Real advice. Pick up a hand held mic and you would get much better audio with less crowd noise. Better yet get a separate audio set up and the quality will be even better.

Yeah, thanks. This is the second year we've done it and we'll have a mic for next year. We're mostly just gamer dudes so I don't see us having like, BoW type audio setup but we hope to make it much better next year.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

muggins posted:

Yeah, thanks. This is the second year we've done it and we'll have a mic for next year. We're mostly just gamer dudes so I don't see us having like, BoW type audio setup but we hope to make it much better next year.

I knew you were just some regular guys, but I figured I'd just offer some simple advice on how to up your game. Make no mistake, I like your stuff and just want to see you do better.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

I knew you were just some regular guys, but I figured I'd just offer some simple advice on how to up your game. Make no mistake, I like your stuff and just want to see you do better.

Thanks man, we'll be doing more next year =D Hopefully more historicals will hit GenCon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

muggins posted:

Thanks man, we'll be doing more next year =D Hopefully more historicals will hit GenCon.

It's really easy to build home made pop stoppers and wind screens that get good results.