Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
What in the world is going on here and how can I help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Variable 5 posted:

What in the world is going on here and how can I help

Invest in Star Citizen

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

LumberingTroll posted:

If people want any kind of playable performance in any fashion, yes, it is. Physics calculations are really process intensive, now try to do it for multiple components of a ship exploding.

The same people complaining that the physics are bad, also complain that the games performance is low, and that the player cap is low. you can't have it all, video game, and software design in general is all about compromise.

Physics calculations aren't as crazy as people seem to think. Like, in an explosion is going to add some degree of force, you see how the explosion animation sends parts flying. Cryengine has functions to add new impulses to objects, so it'd just be a matter of copying all the current velocity information from the ship into each chunk then adding the impulses for the explosion into it. It's not going to break the back of the CPU. I imagine it was just an oversight. It'd be far more laggy to just add many new entities when a ship explodes into the map then add velocity information to debris, since any given object in the engine is huge and needs all that information anyway on its speed, direction, etc.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Troll Bridgington posted:

Invest in Star Citizen

Wouldn't I save on PayPal fees by just lighting my money on fire instead?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SC_Druggie posted:

In regards to being cheap shits, no one is asking you to loving put $3000 in , Im just saying how hard is it to buy the cheapest package and at least make an ATTEMPT to push a good game through.

I've put $0 into the game, though i feel as if i have got $3000 worth of entertainment out of this fiasco.

if it actually becomes a game, i might take a look once it goes free-to-play 6 months after release

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
Got myself a Mustang Alpha. Is this thing made entirely of paper and scrap metal or is my computer just not good enough to serve as anything beyond vibration simulation?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Half gone.

shankerz
Dec 7, 2014

Must Go Faster!!!!!

SC_Druggie posted:

Whelp, any legitimate responses have died long ago. Since you all have devolved to "Nah UUUUUH your wrooooong *sling poo*", I think this is where I dip.

I supposed expecting any sort of actual debate from the denizens of SA is a bit of a stretch. Go back to your miserable pathetic lives now.

Drop the shovel dude.... the hole can't get much deeper.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

star citizen is not an investment

also all you people who try to backpedal saying you made a nice profit flipping ships acting like you were just playing the market the whole time are liars, I remember when this thread, before everyone regained their sanity, was filled with people speculating on what they would use all their various ships for and none of them included "to make more money later selling to rubes"

also lol at the thought you can't take a vacation for $3000, like, you can get a ticket to Europe for under $1,000 depending on where you live and if you plan well in advance, that leaves you ~$2000 to spend overseas on lodging and loving around. ORRRRRRR you can buy a bunch of stupid loving game stuff

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 8, 2015

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

shankerz posted:

Drop the shovel dude.... the hole can't get much deeper.

No no no. This is the genesis of the Total Recall remake.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SC_Druggie posted:

Whelp, any legitimate responses have died long ago. Since you all have devolved to "Nah UUUUUH your wrooooong *sling poo*", I think this is where I dip.

I supposed expecting any sort of actual debate from the denizens of SA is a bit of a stretch. Go back to your miserable pathetic lives now.

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

also this guy

lol

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

Half gone.

24 hours later and 500 people have done what QA supposedly couldn't.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i wonder why a rear admiral would be so inclined to think its not vaporware and convinced other people to join in on a lovely pyramid scheme for a game that wont come out

oh yea he put so much money into it

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

24 hours later and 500 people have done what QA supposedly couldn't.

To be fair the evidence that QA has played the game is pretty spotty.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

AP posted:

I don't care how you spend your money, but the argument they actually need your money died when they reached full funding at 23 million. At least that's how I feel and that's when I switched from backing it to cashing out.

I bought a Wii U, Mario Kart 8 and nearly every Disney Infinity Character for the kid, an ipad for the Mrs and a bunch of other poo poo. CIG know exactly what they are doing with these limited time/limited availability sales and it's taking advantage of some people who can't resist, that's the bit I don't like. I'm really enjoying everything else about Star Citizen though as ultimately they have to release something or go bust.

You hit the nail on the head, so to speak.

This has gone from a 'let's try to make the game everyone wanted' to 'oh poo poo these idiots will keep buying concept art, let's just keep making that'.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Eonwe posted:

i wonder why a rear admiral would be so inclined to think its not vaporware and convinced other people to join in on a lovely pyramid scheme for a game that wont come out

oh yea he put so much money into it

I will be your rear admiral.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
At this point the scope has changed so massively that the game can't exist because of all the wish fulfillment that has been a part of the money raising process

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

also all you people who try to backpedal saying you made a nice profit flipping ships acting like you were just playing the market the whole time are liars, I remember when this thread, before everyone regained their sanity, was filled with people speculating on what they would use all their various ships for and none of them included "to make more money later selling to rubes"

This is true. I do remember telling people to buy $5 2013 Games Con trophies though as they would increase in value (currently selling for $50) and telling everyone to join the secret wait list for the Scythe. Some stuff like the Cross chassis upgrades and CIG going back on their word were totally unpredictable though.

The GBS Hot Dog thread came at the right time and helped a lot, I think if CIG does goes bust, at least everyone here is fully aware of that potential outcome by now.

I'm looking forward to SC_Druggie posting again after Citizen Con while on another faith high.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CashEnsign posted:

I will be your rear admiral.

Awww thx

Aesaar
Mar 19, 2015

SC_Druggie posted:

I had considered tilting it just slightly, in the hopes you were OCD.

No ones saying the game is any sort of actual playable state, the shits janky and a mess. What I am saying is people are retarded for calling it vaporware when it's clearly obvious it's making huge strides.

Yes, huge strides. Why, it's almost managed to do what Battlefront 2 did 10 years ago. Truly the pinnacle of game development.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

3 posted:

People who try to defend how they spend their disposable income are stupid. People who try to belittle others for how they spend their disposable income are stupid. Anyone who spends more money than they have on goods and services is unbelievably stupid. All property is theft. HTH

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

I'm done putting money into this but that's a real investment opportunity if you just believe hard enough.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

I'm done putting money into this but that's a real investment opportunity if you just believe hard enough.

lol

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdPsXkn_V9U

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Please come back and post, SC_Druggie. You're 100% seriousness about Star Citizen is funnier than Eonwe's posting persona. You're like the SC thread posting equivalent of a George Carlin stand up, albeit one that charges $3000 dollars per performance instead of $50.

What I'm saying is, is if you're that willing to spend $3k on vaporeware and jpegs, I have an entire steam wishlist you could maybe take a look at. One of my friends could use a new gaming PC too.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
He's possibly too busy voting in the concern forum where he believes he'll influence events.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

AP posted:

He's possibly too busy voting in the concern forum where he believes he'll influence events.

Dat poll! Star Shitzen Democrazy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

SC_Druggie posted:

That level of funding would not have created the beautiful scene I saw yesteday.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Why do people J4G SA and completely ignore that goons are, fairly often, assholes?

I can't figure it out. They :10bux: and expect unicorns and cupcakes?

Jesus Christ grow skin that's thicker than single ply toilet paper.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
That spaceship exploding .gif looks like it's from the Wing Commander movie.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

xanif posted:

Why do people J4G SA and completely ignore that goons are, fairly often, assholes?

I can't figure it out. They :10bux: and expect unicorns and cupcakes?

Jesus Christ grow skin that's thicker than single ply toilet paper.

Isn't that part of the very nature of J4G: a complete unawareness of the culture, norms, and general attitude of the place (irrespective of which one it is), since that's not what they're joining for?

KakerMix posted:

I'm not sure which of the two should be more insulted by that…

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

Vrrrrrrmmmmmm.... !!RAM!!.. wiggle-wiggle... SHOOOOM!

It's exactly how it happens for realsies. Totally. Have none of you ever been to space or what?

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Tippis posted:

Isn't that part of the very nature of J4G: a complete unawareness of the culture, norms, and general attitude of the place (irrespective of which one it is), since that's not what they're joining for?

I guess. It's just so dumb. Every game you go to where there is a goon presence, almost everyone hates goons and people just see that GoonSwarm did well in EvE and they want to hop on the band wagon.

It's lazy. It's lazy to take put no effort into learning about the community you're joining. This is bugging me more than it should but what else should I expect from a fanatic brown sea CR defender that druggie embodies.

It's loving lazy is all it is.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Whats it been, like five pages of :eek: posting?

At least I get to watch the cutest drat AV in this thread spin as I scroll without reading.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

xanif posted:

I guess. It's just so dumb. Every game you go to where there is a goon presence, almost everyone hates goons and people just see that GoonSwarm did well in EvE and they want to hop on the band wagon.

It's lazy. It's lazy to take put no effort into learning about the community you're joining. This is bugging me more than it should but what else should I expect from a fanatic brown sea CR defender that druggie embodies.

It's loving lazy is all it is.

Bah. You're just being an old curmudgeon who can't see the humour in it all. Lazy + dumb is the very basis for modern lovely “comedy”. :D

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Tippis posted:

Bah. You're just being an old curmudgeon who can't see the humour in it all. Lazy + dumb is the very basis for modern lovely “comedy”. :D

My battle plan was to coast by on being lazy, stupid and not funny until my join date was old enough. So far so good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my thoughts i dont care about join date as long as you arent up your own rear end

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is it possible to gas only a select number of pages in a thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Eonwe posted:

my thoughts i dont care about join date as long as you arent up your own rear end

Is it ok to be up someone else's rear end?

• Locked thread