Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

HMS Boromir posted:

nothing happened in it. every conceivably interesting plot thread was fake and barely explored. most of it was a slice of life with unlikable characters. they had a single 30 minute episode's worth of plot and a bunch of hot nothing to fill the rest of it with

I thought over the course of the two seasons and movie that enough was hinted at to make it interesting. I enjoyed the character interactions, particularly for Kyon's ongoing denial and meta/narrator monologue. I also loved the animation and visual detail in much of the show, beyond any characterisation or plot.

quote:

one of characters exists to be sexually assaulted as a joke.

This did feel more noticeable on a recent rewatch. Some stuff post-endless-eight in S2 was disturbing, seemed to treat it that way, but then just... failed to go anywhere with it.

It may be that the show is better in retrospect, as a weird cultural phenomenon and KyoAni's emergence as an impressive studio, than as a piece of fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

K-On is better than Haruhi.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Not enough aliens, espers or time travellers, sorry.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Did K-On start the trend of "cute girls doing cute things" moeblob shows? Because if so I'd say it had a larger impact than Haruhi.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

CuLT posted:

Not enough aliens, espers or time travellers, sorry.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

z0glin Warchief posted:

Did K-On start the trend of "cute girls doing cute things" moeblob shows? Because if so I'd say it had a larger impact than Haruhi.

I can't say that it started it since Azumanga might've been first though it's more of a pure comedy than a moeblob show. It definitely did popularize it and give the genre a fuckton of traction

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CuLT posted:

I liked Haruhi, and am interested in how someone found it overall unenjoyable.

I would read the poo poo out of a Your Favorite Anime Sucks thread.

That sort of thread would be cool if people had to effort post and back that poo poo up with some words, with brutal punishments for drive-by blanket statements like "(Popular anime) is actually horrible!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

comedy show with mostly female cast: ugh, lazy moeblob show.
comedy show with mostly male cast: GREATEST ANIME IN LAST TEN YEARS, BRO.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've read enough 'your favourite [thing] sucks' threads to last a lifetime to be honest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I've read enough 'your favourite [thing] sucks' threads to last a lifetime to be honest.
criticism can be interesting and good but a lot of the internet is super negative about everything and it gets really tiring

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah in reality it would probably be lame as hell, but heck I can dream...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like Nichijou.

I also like Nichibros.

I'm am certain I will enjoy the moeblob version featuring princesses - Nichiojous.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think a thread dedicated to telling people that what they like sucks would probably just spread to every other thread, and then where would we be?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DoubleDonut posted:

I think a thread dedicated to telling people that what they like sucks would probably just spread to every other thread, and then where would we be?

The Something Awful forums

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoubleDonut posted:

Cinema Discusso?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

DoubleDonut posted:

gbs

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

DoubleDonut posted:

tviv

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

nothing happened in it. every conceivably interesting plot thread was fake and barely explored. most of it was a slice of life with unlikable characters. they had a single 30 minute episode's worth of plot and a bunch of hot nothing to fill the rest of it with. one of characters exists to be sexually assaulted as a joke.

its like old adtrw never left

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Endorph posted:

criticism can be interesting and good but a lot of the internet is super negative about everything and it gets really tiring

Srice posted:

Yeah in reality it would probably be lame as hell, but heck I can dream...

Trolling and idiocy is boring, which is what a lot of the Internet comprises of. It would be a shame if ADTRW couldn't rise above that, but also would not be without precedent.

I'd rather not lump critique in with all that under the brush of "negativity" - I am perfectly capable of liking something and not being offended that someone else doesn't, or that what I like about a show is what they hate, or that I completely overlook what they feel are fundamental flaws. I enjoy the alternative perspectives.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My perspective is that mikuru has some really good baps

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All I know is that TVIV became unbearable when posters started to trip over themselves to be negative about just about every show.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CuLT posted:

Trolling and idiocy is boring, which is what a lot of the Internet comprises of. It would be a shame if ADTRW couldn't rise above that, but also would not be without precedent.

I'd rather not lump critique in with all that under the brush of "negativity" - I am perfectly capable of liking something and not being offended that someone else doesn't, or that what I like about a show is what they hate, or that I completely overlook what they feel are fundamental flaws. I enjoy the alternative perspectives.

Critiquing good things to talk about why they are good is 300% more useful as an exercise in learning, a mock thread would blow big time, like all threads started about talking about why something sucks do.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CuLT posted:

I absolutely agree with all of that, but I do think that it would only take a few posters making it into some weird anime tribalism thing to completely derail such a thread.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think the best way to get that sort of thing to work would be something like a thread to talk about things that are flawed but still interesting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

All I know is that TVIV became unbearable when posters started to trip over themselves to be negative about just about every show.
the doctor who hate thread sucks worse than doctor who

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

I think the best way to get that sort of thing to work would be something like a thread to talk about things that are flawed but still interesting.
finally.. a thread where i can talk about soul nomad for 20 posts

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

A thread about the strengths of cool shows often overlooked because they aren't met with as much universal acclaim would be good yeah.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Sharkopath posted:

Critiquing good things to talk about why they are good is 300% more useful as an exercise in learning, a mock thread would blow big time, like all threads started about talking about why something sucks do.

Srice posted:

I absolutely agree with all of that, but I do think that it would only take a few posters making it into some weird anime tribalism thing to completely derail such a thread.

Endorph posted:

the doctor who hate thread sucks worse than doctor who

I've never read that thread, but I can imagine how that would go, and it probably means you're all correct in that it would eventually be a clusterfuck.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Mock threads basically start off ok when there's genuinely bad stuff to discuss but get lame because goons are great at :regd08: so you wind up with people finding fairly innocuous stuff then making mental hurdles to say it's bad.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

A thread about the strengths of cool shows often overlooked because they aren't met with as much universal acclaim would be good yeah.

I think interesting but flawed productions can have just as much if not more cool things to be said about them, than things that are just straight up good.

Namtab posted:

Mock threads basically start off ok when there's genuinely bad stuff to discuss but get lame because goons are great at :regd08: so you wind up with people finding fairly innocuous stuff then making mental hurdles to say it's bad.

And then you get the hosed up weirdos who think it's cool to stalk a person who made a thing they don't like.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Critique doesn't work if you only focus on the bad, something which TVIV needs to learn.

Well, that and the usual thing on this forum where people trip over themselves to be offended by something

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Srice posted:

And then you get the hosed up weirdos who think it's cool to stalk a person who made a thing they don't like.

I've not read the mock threads for individuals (chris-chan, uli), but the goons that post there seem just as mentally unhealthy as the people they're mocking

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Srice posted:

... tell me that's not a thing that happened

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Doxxing is a thing that exists for much more mundane things, so why are you shocked

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Knorth posted:

... tell me that's not a thing that happened

There's a guy who used the freedom of information act to get someone's address because they made a webcomic he didn't like.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Random internet cruelty isn't really shocking, I guess. It's always massively disappointing though

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

What was the webcomic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

CuLT posted:

I liked Haruhi, and am interested in how someone found it overall unenjoyable.

I would read the poo poo out of a Your Favorite Anime Sucks thread.

You want me to throw away my worthless self-satisfaction in exchange for eternal suffering and despair?! I don't need it! I don't need any of it! What's wrong with turning a blind eye to suffering? I don't want a truth full of pain! I want a peaceful lie!

• Locked thread