Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Except response to the trailer has been super positive even outside of people who know him.

Based on what? Genuinely curious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Senor Candle posted:

The Fantastic Four haven't had a good movie. That's the only difference.
Fantastic Four as originally written in the comics are popular for decades.

Movies deviate from what made them popular, are less popular as a result.

Hmmm... I think there's a correlation here.
Perhaps, if the movies understood the source material and what makes it popular, and then emulated that instead of trying to fix what isn't broken, they could possibly make a movie that people enjoy.

....Naaah that's crazy talk.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hakkesshu posted:

Based on what? Genuinely curious

People on the Internet have pressed the Like button, pay attention.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Deadpool looks fun and enjoyable, that's the big difference between it and any of the other non Marvel movies, and I expect will make a difference for the average viewer

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Deadpool is more of a passion project than anything. And it does have appeal to the action movie crowd outside of the comic book crowd. Which is one of the things I always think that made Guardians so popular, it was not just a comic book movie, but it was also space adventure, which is something we've not had in a long time. Most sci-fi movies have been dystopian earth futures, not fun space adventures with aliens and wisecracking heroes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Fantastic Four as originally written in the comics are popular for decades.

Movies deviate from what made them popular, are less popular as a result..

Wait. So any time a movie deviates from the source material and is more popular, that means the source material is the thing that was broken? Is that the argument you're making here?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

And it also has the R rating which will cut its audience potential quite a bit. A big portion of money for a lot of superhero movies is through appealing to kids. And that's not an option with Deadpool. The good thing is that if it cracks $100 million for its domestic total by the end it'll be seen as a success. And that's not totally out of the question.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The popularity of the comics dont matter at all. Guardians of the Galaxy was a huge success because it was a fun movie not because there was some huge fanbase powering it. The fantastic four movies failed because they were real bad movies and a fantastic four movie COULD still be a lot of fun with some competence and creativity behind it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah Guardians was a success because of good press and being something different at a time when it needed to be. I mean the comic it was based on wasn't even successful for a comic. I mean it was critically, but it was not a big seller at all.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

twistedmentat posted:

Deadpool is more of a passion project than anything. And it does have appeal to the action movie crowd outside of the comic book crowd. Which is one of the things I always think that made Guardians so popular, it was not just a comic book movie, but it was also space adventure, which is something we've not had in a long time. Most sci-fi movies have been dystopian earth futures, not fun space adventures with aliens and wisecracking heroes.

I loved Guardians of the Galaxy because I was instantly reminded of the Fifth Element, which no matter what was a fun thing to watch.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I thought the days of superhero movies deviating from the source material were long gone. I stand corrected.
No wonder these kind of films fail.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I thought the days of superhero movies deviating from the source material were long gone. I stand corrected.
No wonder these kind of films fail.

When was the last time we had a really comics accurate movie? GoTG was changed heavily, Ant Man was pretty different, Age of Ultron took a lot of liberties.

It's not a fault to deviate from the source material, it's a fault to do it and make something bad and stupid like they keep doing to Doom

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Superhero movies tend to actually deviate massively from their source material. In fact, most of them aren't even based directly on comic book stories.

e: Observe Dark Knight, which is a grab-bag of elements from the Batman mythos, modernised.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd say the Spider-Man movies (both Raimi and AMS, funnily enough) are probably the most comics-accurate superhero films out there, and even they take a lot of liberties.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think the Marvel movies manage to strike a good balance between being accurate and adapting/modernizing things for the purposes of a modern cinematic universe. No one is upset that Tony Stark and Pepper Potts have a romance in Iron Man, and few people mind that Jarvis is an AI now. But people are upset if Dr. Doom is some loving businessman played by a lovely actor, or Galactus is a cloud.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The first 2 Fantastic Four movies were pretty faithful, Doom being an exception.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurdiak posted:

No one is upset that Tony Stark and Pepper Potts have a romance in Iron Man

The early issues contained a love triage between her, Tony, and Happy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

bobkatt013 posted:

The early issues contained a love triage between her, Tony, and Happy.

Wasn't it unrequited in the Pepper to Tony direction? I forget.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Scott Pilgrim.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Wasn't it unrequited in the Pepper to Tony direction? I forget.

No, Tony was all in to Pepper but thinks about how he can't be with her because of his robo-vest.

Basically everybody was into everybody but couldn't for reasons.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 9, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That was extremely different.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It takes a pretty spectacular failure to make people, myself included, look back fondly on the Tim Story FF films.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:lol:

It got sodomized internationally. Apparently in 43 markets it's only made 34 million.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=123784

Welp it's dead at home and abroad.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ImpAtom posted:

Wait. So any time a movie deviates from the source material and is more popular, that means the source material is the thing that was broken? Is that the argument you're making here?
Sure, why not? If the source material has issues and the filmmakers recognize that and change it for the better, then thumbs up. As others have mentioned, comic movies deviate from the source material all the time, and for good reason.

But when the source material *works*, and the filmmakers deviate from it for no comprehensible reason, that's when things go wrong. Examples include the latest FF movie, Galactus and Doom in the prior FF movies, Deadpool in the Wolverine origins movie, etc.
Comic book movies don't need to be slavishly beholden to the source material, but they do need to recognize what made the source material good and popular, and not just change poo poo willy nilly.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

muscles like this? posted:

No, Tony was all in to Pepper but thinks about how he can't be with her because of his robo-vest.

Basically everybody was into everybody but couldn't for reasons.

I bet most people are surprised that Tony ever had a secret identity. Iron Man was "Stark's bodyguard" that was never with Tony unless someone started asking questions.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I will always maintain that sewing Deadpool's mouth shut was one of the few logical things in that movie, 'cause really why would Striker want to listen to his bullshit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Die Laughing posted:

I bet most people are surprised that Tony ever had a secret identity. Iron Man was "Stark's bodyguard" that was never with Tony unless someone started asking questions.

Well, it wasn't so much the secret identity thing as early Tony had to wear this full on metal chestplate that he had to plug in every day or else he would die. Which is kind of a mood killer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Sure, why not? If the source material has issues and the filmmakers recognize that and change it for the better, then thumbs up. As others have mentioned, comic movies deviate from the source material all the time, and for good reason.

But... what if both the original source material and the new material are good? Perhaps for different reasons?!

Drax in GotG is an alien from a race who doesn't understand metaphor. Drax in the original comics is a human from Earth mutated in a super-being specifically to kill Thanos. Which one is bad?

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Deadpool posted:

And it also has the R rating which will cut its audience potential quite a bit. A big portion of money for a lot of superhero movies is through appealing to kids. And that's not an option with Deadpool. The good thing is that if it cracks $100 million for its domestic total by the end it'll be seen as a success. And that's not totally out of the question.

Kingsman has shown that they audience is there for R-Rated, stylised-comic-book-y action (not that a lot of people know it was based on a comic book, but still). Also more people are aware of Deadpool than we think. He has a shitload of merch going around, for a character who has barely been in a movie or a bigger cartoon.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

I will always maintain that sewing Deadpool's mouth shut was one of the few logical things in that movie, 'cause really why would Striker want to listen to his bullshit.

Deadpool at the end of the movie was a zombie remote-controlled by Stryker like he's Guybrush Threepwood. Why would you have to sow his mouth shut?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its probably going to be less people not caring about Deadpool the character and more the fact that Ryan Reynolds is box office poison.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think you can really predict Deadpool. It's going to depend a lot on luck more than anything. It could be a good film and get completely overlooked or it could get great word of mouth.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Its probably going to be less people not caring about Deadpool the character and more the fact that Ryan Reynolds is box office poison.
Is he though? I've liked plenty of his more recent movies. Safe House, Buried, Smoking Aces.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

its like hollywood just loves to poo poo on the poor guy or something :smith:

The Voices proves the dude has acting chops

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

Is he though? I've liked plenty of his more recent movies. Safe House, Buried, Smoking Aces.

Those aren't exactly "recent" considering Smoking Aces is from 2006. His last major starring role was RIPD which only made $33 million. Just this year he was in that Self/Less and that made only $12 million. The last thing he was in that actually made money was The Croods and he was only supporting, which is a similar thing with Safe House where the real draw was Denzel.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Deadpool at the end of the movie was a zombie remote-controlled by Stryker like he's Guybrush Threepwood. Why would you have to sow his mouth shut?

please don't ruin my shining light of Wolverine Origins

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Those aren't exactly "recent" considering Smoking Aces is from 2006. His last major starring role was RIPD which only made $33 million. Just this year he was in that Self/Less and that made only $12 million. The last thing he was in that actually made money was The Croods and he was only supporting, which is a similar thing with Safe House where the real draw was Denzel.

Holy poo poo Self/Less came out already? drat that movie came and flopped so quietly I forgot the previews interested me.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Xenomrph posted:

But when the source material *works*, and the filmmakers deviate from it for no comprehensible reason, that's when things go wrong. Examples include the latest FF movie, Galactus and Doom in the prior FF movies, Deadpool in the Wolverine origins movie, etc.
Comic book movies don't need to be slavishly beholden to the source material, but they do need to recognize what made the source material good and popular, and not just change poo poo willy nilly.

But my copy of scriptwriting for dummies and how to write a blockbuster script says what works for the FF doesn't work so just sit back and let me fix it for you.
-apparently everybody

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

please don't ruin my shining light of Wolverine Origins

I can't help it, I just hate that ending so so much. I rewatched it fairly recently to find out if it's as bad as I remembered, and noticed that the scene where Deadpool is properly introduced is clearly evocative of the scene towards the end of The Phantom Menace when Darth Maul confronts the two Jedi. Wolverine leads a group of kids towards some hangar doors and they part dramatically and there's a silhouette, and instead of Darth Maul we get a guy that looks like he got lost on his way to a rave party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

ImpAtom posted:

But... what if both the original source material and the new material are good? Perhaps for different reasons?!

Drax in GotG is an alien from a race who doesn't understand metaphor. Drax in the original comics is a human from Earth mutated in a super-being specifically to kill Thanos. Which one is bad?

Why does one of them have to be bad for the other to be good? This isn't a zero-sum game, and there's no hard and fast rule on what will or won't work. Alien Drax worked in the movie because he's an entertaining character that didn't require the sizeable backstory dump that mutated-earth-man Drax would have needed. Comic book Drax works because Abnett and Lanning turned him into Riddick. In both film and print, creators (are supposed to) use their best judgment to take what works and run with it, while glossing over or entirely removing the elements that hold back the character or story. If it's done well, how faithful the final product is to the source material won't matter so much. If it's done poorly, no amount of slavish devotion to the source will save it.

• Locked thread