Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

eSports Chaebol posted:

The real irony is that the magic of "the market" and whatever pragmatism and meritocracy etc. it is supposed to bring doesn't actually apply to the internal structure of firms, large ones of which inevitably have a complex system of bureaucracy just like....the government! Even businesses aren't run like businesses in the libertarian sense.

Sears tried. It wasn't pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Reset the "X Days Since Mass Shooting" counter.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Oh yeah, wasn't that guy a full-blown Objectivist?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Police in the South negotiated his surrender? Must've been white.

Not white.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 9, 2015

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

I love that story.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Pramila Jayapal on the Seattle disruption:

That was really good. Is there a link?

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

eSports Chaebol posted:

The real irony is that the magic of "the market" and whatever pragmatism and meritocracy etc. it is supposed to bring doesn't actually apply to the internal structure of firms, large ones of which inevitably have a complex system of bureaucracy just like....the government! Even businesses aren't run like businesses in the libertarian sense.

Well, except for Kmart-Sears. Taken over by a hardcore lolbertarian, he's got every division competing with each other - to the point that they can't even do their cross-department promotions like they used to.

Marketing charges every department for page space and has to turn a profit from that. Since the departments outbid each other on better real-estate you end up with nonsensical pairings like children's underwear and power tools. Oh, don't forget the internal-to-sears social network that you have to blog on - and there's metrics to make sure every employee is using it.

The whole thing is an ever-growing :psyduck: that hasn't :psyboom:... yet. Worth reading about.

Edit: Goddamnit, missed Whiskey Juvenile's link to this exact thing, noticed it when I went to edit in the article link. It's still an amazingly good example of how far-from-reality Libertarian beliefs are.

Harik fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 10, 2015

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Harik posted:

Oh, don't forget the internal-to-sears social network that you have to blog on - and there's metrics to make sure every employee is using it.

And make sure you don't say bad things about Sears on it because the CEO has sock puppet accounts he uses to argue with employees.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neeksy posted:

https://www.facebook.com/pramila.jayapal/posts/10153194606313621?fref=nf&pnref=story

Plastics
Aug 7, 2015
I am a proud libertarian and I think the guy in charge of Sears is an IDIOT!! You can compete with other people but competition within your own company has to be very careful or you will cannibalize yourself!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Plastics posted:

You can compete with other animals but competition within your own species has to be very careful or you will cannibalize yourself!

I couldn't come up with any Sears products to make a soylent joke about.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

reagan posted:

Why should Bernie take the time to sit down with people who literally threw a tantrum on stage?

Practice for speaking to Congress? :rimshot:

Somebody's got to be the grownup in the room.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Can we not talk about gun control right now? People are dead. Now is not the time.

Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

I wish I could go back in time and give that family a gun to defend themselves with :(

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Can we not talk about gun control right now? People are dead. Now is not the time.
Can we just have a week or two of respectful silence before you try and score political points over this?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It's time to look for a hero somewhere out of this tragedy...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Can we just have a week or two of respectful silence before you try and score political points over this?
He posts that after every shooting. I can't tell if its an ironic gimmick or not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Joementum posted:

Ted Cruz's big new idea: The Articles of Confederation.

He does helpfully point out that this could be difficult, since it's been illegal since 1788.

so he wants to rewind the clock all they way back to a terrible system where all the states were lovely mini countrys that hated each other. nice.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

He posts that after every shooting. I can't tell if its an ironic gimmick or not.
I was agreeing with him. Ironically.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Carly Fiorina sez she wants to make the tax code a mere 3 pages long. :lol:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Hell, why not make it one sentence, if you want to go that route? "EVERYONE PAYS X% OF THEIR INCOME." That's it. SO SIMPLE!!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Everybody pays the President personally, and the President then doles it out him/herself.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
All taxes converted to doubloons and placed in President Trump's personal presidential swimming pool.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Trabisnikof posted:

I couldn't come up with any Sears products to make a soylent joke about.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

I was about to type something like "even among mass shootings, this stands out as particularly hosed up" then I just thought about everything involved in that sentence and poured myself a drink

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008

Neeksy posted:

http://www.thestranger.com/blogs/slog/2015/08/09/22671957/guest-editorial-why-saturdays-bernie-sanders-rally-left-me-feeling-heartbroken

Post to which he was responding to:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mr Interweb posted:

Carly Fiorina sez she wants to make the tax code a mere 3 pages long. :lol:

I notice it's never lawyers or accountants calling for such short bills and financial regulations. It's always business people looking to disrupt the paradigm.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Gyges posted:

I notice it's never lawyers or accountants calling for such short bills and financial regulations. It's always business people looking to disrupt the paradigm.

Which seems dumb to me, because I bet having all the loopholes and stuff is well worth throwing their tax departments at it. Losing them would be a shocker. And I'm sure lots of normal people think it'll be good, up until they realize how much the US uses tax breaks instead of welfare.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

foobardog posted:

Which seems dumb to me, because I bet having all the loopholes and stuff is well worth throwing their tax departments at it. Losing them would be a shocker. And I'm sure lots of normal people think it'll be good, up until they realize how much the US uses tax breaks instead of welfare.

The shorter the document, the more holes you can poke in it. Shorter documents leave lots of terms and phrases open to free interpretation. This means more loopholes usually, not less.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

RevKrule posted:

The shorter the document, the more holes you can poke in it. Shorter documents leave lots of terms and phrases open to free interpretation. This means more loopholes usually, not less.

More work for the courts trying to figure out what poo poo, 3-page bill means.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

RevKrule posted:

Not exactly.

Shorter documents leave lots of terms and phrases open to interpretation in court, so your holes show up based on judicial interpretation.

Longer documents leave less open to interpretation but themselves create holes and interstices where people can work.

You're basically choosing whether you want your loopholes to be created by the legislature (long) or the judiciary (short.) Congress has tended towards the former for obvious reasons.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Hey this was super good, read it.

This juxtaposed with a horrific crime story is why SA is #1

Armani fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 10, 2015

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kalman posted:

Not exactly.

Shorter documents leave lots of terms and phrases open to interpretation in court, so your holes show up based on judicial interpretation.

Longer documents leave less open to interpretation but themselves create holes and interstices where people can work.

You're basically choosing whether you want your loopholes to be created by the legislature (long) or the judiciary (short.) Congress has tended towards the former for obvious reasons.

I just got out of training for an insurance license, where we had to learn a bit about the contract of adhesion, where a party acting in a unilateral contract pretty much has to spell out a poo poo load of the language of the contract otherwise it may waive some of their rights in enforcing the contract. A lot of government forms operate this way as well, with the clauses usually backed by laws and regulations, because the government doesn't want to be on the losing end of legal battle because they didn't cross a t or dotted an i correctly.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Young Freud posted:

I just got out of training for an insurance license, where we had to learn a bit about the contract of adhesion, where a party acting in a unilateral contract pretty much has to spell out a poo poo load of the language of the contract otherwise it may waive some of their rights in enforcing the contract. A lot of government forms operate this way as well, with the clauses usually backed by laws and regulations, because the government doesn't want to be on the losing end of legal battle because they didn't cross a t or dotted an i correctly.

Especially when it's happened before, on a comma.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
On the topic of running a country like a business, if anyone has a link that outlines why this is a bad idea, I'd love to read it.

While I know that it's a bad idea (businesses exist simply to make money, anything that doesn't make money in the short term is to be eliminated, this doesn't jive with doing things for the public good), it would be interesting to see it written down in some format.

Also, because a couple of my co-workers keep referring to themselves as "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" and parrot this line a bunch. Granted, I spent a (short) period thinking about myself as such, which only heightens my :ughh:. I'm hoping something I could point them to that dispels the myth much more eloquently than I can could be extremely useful. I get the impression they actually have an open mind on this sorta stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's not getting much attention right now, but Ferguson is turning into a warzone again as police are out in force against protestors, just like a year ago. One protestor has been shot, not sure yet who is responsible.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's not getting much attention right now, but Ferguson is turning into a warzone again as police are out in force against protestors, just like a year ago. One protestor has been shot, not sure yet who is responsible.

Not suprising considering Ferguson PD has been buisness as usual despite the DoJ findings.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Someone explain to me why the Justice Department can't come in and clean house in Ferguson and just take over policing duties with Federal Officers while they retrain a new police force and use Ferguson as a example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Someone explain to me why the Justice Department can't come in and clean house in Ferguson and just take over policing duties with Federal Officers while they retrain a new police force and use Ferguson as a example.

Because we live in a nation of laws

• Locked thread