Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Footballguys just emailed out an entire list of who to follow on twitter for every team's fantasy purposes.. I might actually pay attention to twitter now. I put it into an excel file in case anyone who's not subscribed to their mailings is interested. BeerGod feel free to add this to the OP too if you want

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e2td2v607i1oexx/fantasy-football-twitter.xls?dl=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

TheZissou posted:

My league allows two keepers but they can't be from my first two picks of the previous season. Here's what I have to choose from:

Andrew Luck
Golden Tate
Knowshon Moreno
Riley Cooper
Stevan Ridley
Panthers D
Hakeem Nicks
Delanie Walker
Benjarvis Green-Ellis
Jordan Todman

Goes without saying that I'm keeping luck, but not sure who else. Any thoughts?

I'd probably keep Tate? What round pick do you have to use on him?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

TheZissou posted:

My league allows two keepers but they can't be from my first two picks of the previous season. Here's what I have to choose from:

Andrew Luck
Golden Tate
Knowshon Moreno
Riley Cooper
Stevan Ridley
Panthers D
Hakeem Nicks
Delanie Walker
Benjarvis Green-Ellis
Jordan Todman

what round is delaine walker. If im remembering right, he did okay as a late round tight end.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Thwomp posted:

Except when it comes to Jaguars and Raiders.

Amari Cooper is about to get force fed targets.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Alright, I did I a thing.

I've just about converted my high-throughput draft simulation program into an interactive mock draft simulator. I like fantasypros and all but it kind of bugs me that the AI is untweakable (and kind of bad - it appears to run off ADP). The main goal of this mock draft simulator is to make the AI strategies modular - you can pick one of ten or so strategies or draft against, or you can set the relative probabilities that you encounter particular strategies and randomize things. Scoring, league size, starting draft position etc are all completely customizable.

I also wanted to give folks more info while they are actually making picks. You're provided consensus ranking, projected points (using your custom scoring system), projected VORP (using the "traditional" definition of a replacement-level player - in this case, whatever is available by the 10th round, rather than a Beer-like definition of relative value which is based on a comparison to other starters after factoring in injury rates), ADP, highest ranking, lowest ranking, and SD of rankings.

I need beta testers because I have no goddamned idea what I'm doing. If you're interested please download the most recent version of pythonxy because I use like a million different packages (full list if you'd rather not mess with your python install: numpy, pandas, os, csv, collections, random, itertools, copy, IPython.core.display).

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I really like Amari Cooper this year and really considered taking him as my WR2 but I have Latavius Murray and that's too many Raiders for my liking.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheZissou posted:

Andrew Luck
Golden Tate
Knowshon Moreno
Riley Cooper
Stevan Ridley
Panthers D
Hakeem Nicks
Delanie Walker
Benjarvis Green-Ellis
Jordan Todman

Luck and Tate I guess. What penalty do you pay for keeping them?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Forever_Peace posted:

Alright, I did I a thing.

I've just about converted my high-throughput draft simulation program into an interactive mock draft simulator. I like fantasypros and all but it kind of bugs me that the AI is untweakable (and kind of bad - it appears to run off ADP). The main goal of this mock draft simulator is to make the AI strategies modular - you can pick one of ten or so strategies or draft against, or you can set the relative probabilities that you encounter particular strategies and randomize things. Scoring, league size, starting draft position etc are all completely customizable.

I also wanted to give folks more info while they are actually making picks. You're provided consensus ranking, projected points (using your custom scoring system), projected VORP (using the "traditional" definition of a replacement-level player - in this case, whatever is available by the 10th round, rather than a Beer-like definition of relative value which is based on a comparison to other starters after factoring in injury rates), ADP, highest ranking, lowest ranking, and SD of rankings.

I need beta testers because I have no goddamned idea what I'm doing. If you're interested please download the most recent version of pythonxy because I use like a million different packages (full list if you'd rather not mess with your python install: numpy, pandas, os, csv, collections, random, itertools, copy, IPython.core.display).

OK, and here's the link to the draft simulator.

Download and unpack the folder wherever. Use the text file to change the scoring options etc. for your league. Leave the rankings and projections alone.

Firing up the drafter:

1) Open PythonXY. Press the "Spyder" button.

2) Navigate the file explorer tab (1) to the folder you unpacked everything in (it should look like the window here). You can type the address into the file path bar if you want (2). Press the button with the red arrow (3) to set this pathway as your working directory. Then, make the console window nice and big so you have room to work in.

3) In the console, copy-paste the following command and hit enter: %run FF_LiveDraftSimulator_v1_0.py

Go ahead and post bugs and feature requests here if you like.

Projections are a few days old so VORP drafters will probably overdraft Foster at the moment. I'll update them for version 1.1

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Here it is in action. I have no idea how to code interfaces so it's menu driven.

Control the strategies of your competition!

Draft against decent AI!

View the draft board!

Get feedback on the projected points of your starters!

Will add more as requested.

Description of the strategies is in the "set how common strategies are" menu.

edit: gently caress my adp drafters are taking quarterbacks too high. Will debug.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I need some help setting my scoring settings on MyFantasyLeague, if possible.

I have all the categories set except two which I'm not sure how to set using MFL. With yahoo, our scoring allowed for 3 and outs, and 4th down stops. Does anyone know which categories those are for MFL? I'm assuming its 4th down conversions applied to defense, but I'm not sure. I can only find 3rd down conversions for 3rd down scoring, but nothing about 3 and out. Am I just SOL on those two categories?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Is there a calvinball thread yet?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

So I skimmed the OP and didn't see it mentioned - will there be BeerSheets this year? I drafted off those last year and easily cruised to the finals in my league (where I promptly got dust-rolled somehow by a GIRL).

I'm a lazy piece of garbage and would love to have someone hold my hand through another draft.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

So I skimmed the OP and didn't see it mentioned - will there be BeerSheets this year? I drafted off those last year and easily cruised to the finals in my league (where I promptly got dust-rolled somehow by a GIRL).

I'm a lazy piece of garbage and would love to have someone hold my hand through another draft.

maybe try searching? Also why are you so insecure about being beaten by a woman?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Gyshall posted:

maybe try searching? Also why are you so insecure about being beaten by a woman?

Your answer is in the text

I'm a lazy piece of garbage

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Gyshall posted:

Even my jokes are lazy

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Check my post history. I post new ones weekly.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Thoughts on my keeper issue?
1PPR, Keep 2, 1 at each pos, Kelce 11th, JMatthews 12th, Ingram 8th, JRandle 8th, Crowell 8th?

While Kelce and Jmatt hold the best value, I do draft 10th spot in a 12 man this year.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I think Jordan Matthews in the 12th is a must. I'd probably go Ingram for the second. Low RB1/High RB2 in the 8th is pretty fantastic.

Edit: Or Randle instead of Ingram. Whoever you feel better about. Randle could very easily be a top-10 RB, but who knows. You'll have to decide if 8th round is worth the risk for him.

supercrooky
Sep 12, 2006

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Thoughts on my keeper issue?
1PPR, Keep 2, 1 at each pos, Kelce 11th, JMatthews 12th, Ingram 8th, JRandle 8th, Crowell 8th?

While Kelce and Jmatt hold the best value, I do draft 10th spot in a 12 man this year.

Matthews for sure, as he's probably the best player and costs the least.

ADP-wise, Ingram/Randle/Kelce represent similar value. I personally go elite or late with TEs, so I'd go Ingram, but none of the 3 are a bad choice unless the consensus is very wrong.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

what round is delaine walker. If im remembering right, he did okay as a late round tight end.
I really like Walker as a late round TE, especially in PPR. I think he is gonna be Mariota's safety value and get a lot of targets.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Due to weird keeper limitations (auction values), I need to do one of the following combos. 1 PPR. Anyone got a take on this?

1) LeVeon Bell/Roddy White
2) AJ Green/Jeremy Hill
3) Gronk/Sammy Watkins or Latavius Murray
4) Jordy Nelson/Lamar Miller

I am thinking #2, though that probably means I won't have any real first round picks on my team.

My fear is that AJ is kind of getting figured out or losing his edge just a tad. I've kept him since rookie.

headcase fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Aug 11, 2015

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

LmaoTheKid posted:

Josh Gordon, third string Rams RBs, Tannehill, fJax, all players on bad to medicocre teams who are useful or have been useful in fantasy. Even game breakers sometimes.

Ruling them out because the team is bad is dumb and silly and go ahead and let others draft them when they win your league.

Josh Gordon was hot garbage last year. He only put up a couple of good weeks when he came back with an 8/120 line and a 7/75 line. I could actually blame him for me not winning the championship last year because I started him the weeks after his 7/75 game and got burned.

headcase posted:

Due to weird keeper limitations (auction values), I need to do one of the following combos. 1 PPR. Anyone got a take on this?

1) LeVeon Bell/Roddy White
2) AJ Green/Jeremy Hill
3) Gronk/Sammy Watkins or Latavius Murray
4) Jordy Nelson/Lamar Miller

I am thinking #2, though that probably means I won't have any real first round picks on my team.

My fear is that AJ is kind of getting figured out or losing his edge just a tad. I've kept him since rookie.

Option 1 is the best player in fantasy probably and an ancient decoy that will probably rack up 4 catch lines all year.

Option 2 is probably a top 8 WR and a top 8 RB who happen to be on the same team. My friend had Murray and Dez last year and even that combo couldn't make him win.

Option 3 is the best TE who is going to have a question mark on production until Brady comes back and a good option at two young, talented guys that will probably get stonewalled by their lovely teams.

Option 4 is a top 5 WR and a top 10 RB maybe

Actually a really tough decision. I'd probably lean towards option 1 or 4, or probably just towards 1. It's like the equivalent of trading a player to get the #1 best player in fantasy. Like I'm not sure how willing I'd be to trade Bell for Green/Hill or Nelson/Miller.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Doltos posted:

Josh Gordon was hot garbage last year. He only put up a couple of good weeks when he came back with an 8/120 line and a 7/75 line. I could actually blame him for me not winning the championship last year because I started him the weeks after his 7/75 game and got burned.

I wasn't referring to strictly last year. The year before he basically won me my championship on a lovely CLE team but way to cherry pick the one guy on my list who could prove your point based on last year. Every year good players emerge on lovely teams that can win leagues for you, counting them out because TEAM IS BAD is narrow-minded and dumb.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Doltos posted:

Fantasy football existed before 2014, as did the overall shittiness of the Cleveland Browns organization.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Being right about the shittiness Josh Gordon 2014 is the soothing balm I rub on myself

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

I'm in a new league this year: 12 teams, fairly standard scoring/rosters other than 6 pt passing TDs and small bonuses for 100 yards rushing/receiving. We also have 1 IDP. In what round should I start thinking about drafting the IDP, 10 or so? Whenever everyone else does? And is this standard IDP scoring?

Tackle:1 point
Sack:1 point
Defense Interception:1 point
Forced Fumble:1 point
Fumbles Recovery:1 point
Touchdown (Interception return):6 points
Touchdown (Fumble return):6 points
Touchdown (Blocked kick):6 points
Blocked Kick (punt, FG, PAT):1 point
Safety:2 points

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

With a 12 team 1-IDP flex treat it like a DST slot, draft it late, and stream MLB/ILB in that slot.

Edit :laffo: 1 point per sack stay the hell away from JJ Watt

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

Spoeank posted:

With a 12 team 1-IDP flex treat it like a DST slot, draft it late, and stream MLB/ILB in that slot.

Edit :laffo: 1 point per sack stay the hell away from JJ Watt

Yeah that's what I was just looking at. In this system it seems that any of the top 10-15 LB will be 10-11 ppg guys, while JJ Watt is only worth about 8 ppg average. Hopefully someone else takes him early.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

coronaball posted:

Fantasy football existed before 2014, as did the overall shittiness of the Cleveland Browns organization.

So if he had one good year and one garbage year doesn't it suggest that picking good players on bad offenses is unreliable?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

coronaball posted:

Yeah that's what I was just looking at. In this system it seems that any of the top 10-15 LB will be 10-11 ppg guys, while JJ Watt is only worth about 8 ppg average. Hopefully someone else takes him early.

My guess is at least one big name but useless DB gets taken so that + Watt guarantees you a top-ten LB. Just take who comes to you. 5-15 are indiscernable. If a sack and an INT are worth the same as a tackle just completely ignore DLs and DBs.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Doltos posted:

So if he had one good year and one garbage year doesn't it suggest that picking good players on bad offenses is unreliable?
What are you talking about? He was the #1 fantasy WR in 2013 and then spent the majority of 2014 banned. How is that "one good year and one garbage year"? By that logic, AP is garbage and you shouldn't take him. I mean poo poo, he barely had any points last season!

Your "don't draft good players on bad teams" advice is both silly and provably inaccurate. The quality of a players team is just one more factor that should go into your assessment of their value along with injury history, personal changes at other positions, etc.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

coronaball posted:

I'm in a new league this year: 12 teams, fairly standard scoring/rosters other than 6 pt passing TDs and small bonuses for 100 yards rushing/receiving. We also have 1 IDP. In what round should I start thinking about drafting the IDP, 10 or so? Whenever everyone else does? And is this standard IDP scoring?

Not even close to standard scoring, but I dropped in your settings into a sheet I have based on Yahoo stat projections and here's your top 20.

pre:
153.5	Lavonte David TB - LB
151.1	Luke Kuechly Car - LB
145.0	DeAndre Levy Det - LB
142.2	Paul Posluszny Jax - LB
140.6	Bobby Wagner Sea - LB
138.0	C.J. Mosley Bal - LB
135.7	NaVorro Bowman SF - LB
134.7	Jamie Collins NE - LB
131.2	Lawrence Timmons Pit - LB
130.0	Paul Worrilow Atl - LB
129.7	D'Qwell Jackson Ind - LB
127.2	Karlos Dansby Cle - LB
127.1	Keenan Robinson Was - LB
124.5	Mychal Kendricks Phi - LB
124.0	Sean Lee Dal - LB
123.5	Jelani Jenkins Mia - LB
122.9	Stephen Tulloch Det - LB
121.4	Jerod Mayo NE - LB
120.0	Alec Ogletree StL - LB
119.9	Morgan Burnett GB - S
You're looking at about 2ppg for#1 vs. #12 so don't worry about drafting someone until the last round. In fact if you can skip drafting at all I would do that and pick someone up the day before the first game. If not just pick up the best player available with your last pick. Yes I would pick a kicker before my IDP player in your situation if I had to fill both slots at draft time.

The big secret to playing LBs is that there are always surprise studs every year and you can fill in off of the waiver extremely easily. Probably moreso than any other position in the game.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Being right about the shittiness Josh Gordon 2014 is the soothing balm I rub on myself

Being wrong about gordon and holding him from week 3 in is the burning salt i rub on my wounds.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

coronaball posted:

It sounds like that league is just playing with the idea of going full IDP. Those scoring settings are not very engaging. Sacks are typically between 2-3 points and give elite defensive lineman a chance to complete with good linebackers. If you're not the first to pick an IDP (like Lavonte David) then don't bother grabbing an IDP until the end, then stream them the rest of the year until you land the magical Unknown Stud (last year it was Chris Borland).

Check the Goontier thread for our take on IDP. It's base enough to make IDP more than an afterthought, and we just amped up the touchdowns so that big plays IRL become big plays for fantasy.

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!

Doltos posted:

Option 2 is probably a top 8 WR and a top 8 RB who happen to be on the same team. My friend had Murray and Dez last year and even that combo couldn't make him win.

Are you using 2014 Bryant/Murray as a reason not to draft an RB/WR combo from the same team? Cause as a Bryant/Murray owner last year I've got to say it was pretty great.

Basically it makes no sense to say "These guys are top 8 if they're on different fantasy teams but treat them like top 15 if they're both on the same team."

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

ZIGfried posted:

Are you using 2014 Bryant/Murray as a reason not to draft an RB/WR combo from the same team? Cause as a Bryant/Murray owner last year I've got to say it was pretty great.

Basically it makes no sense to say "These guys are top 8 if they're on different fantasy teams but treat them like top 15 if they're both on the same team."

I agree. I understand the whole, if the team is down, then you're probably screwed, but usually 1 can make up the difference for the other. Also garbage time flows both ways for you.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I agree. I understand the whole, if the team is down, then you're probably screwed, but usually 1 can make up the difference for the other. Also garbage time flows both ways for you.

Yeah, sometime last season, someone here (SurgicalOntologist?) posted a nice breakdown of (trigger warning) covariance in scoring by teammates at different positions. IIRC, WR and RB are modestly anticorrelated, QB and WR are decently correlated, WR1 and WR2 were a wash. So having QB/WR will be somewhat boom/bust on a week by week basis, while WR/RB will be a bit more safe and steady.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, sometime last season, someone here (SurgicalOntologist?) posted a nice breakdown of (trigger warning) covariance in scoring by teammates at different positions. IIRC, WR and RB are modestly anticorrelated, QB and WR are decently correlated, WR1 and WR2 were a wash. So having QB/WR will be somewhat boom/bust on a week by week basis, while WR/RB will be a bit more safe and steady.

Yeah, last year I had Cutler / Marshall, so most of the time it was a full bust. but that may have just been that particular combo.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Check my post history. I post new ones weekly.

I am not familiar with your beersheets. is there any explanation required forhow they are intended to be used. I can not use the search function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Yeah, last year I had Cutler / Marshall, so most of the time it was a full bust. but that may have just been that particular combo.

Marshall was an unmitigated disaster last year. Think more Romo/Dez and Rodgers/Jordy or Cobb.

• Locked thread