Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I have a feeling this game is going to get really really popular once the full campaign stuff is in, but it's definitely taking awhile to get to that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I just re-picked up the game this week. Is there another big update coming? This thread seemed a bit dead so I feel like I'm coming into this in the middle between the hype of a newly released version of the verge of an anticipated new version.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

So I just re-picked up the game this week. Is there another big update coming? This thread seemed a bit dead so I feel like I'm coming into this in the middle between the hype of a newly released version of the verge of an anticipated new version.

Yes, and yes.

The thread will explode like a Buffalo II once this (seemingly) massive campaign update drops. Pretty standard for Starfarer development.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Strumpie posted:

Yes, and yes.

The thread will explode like a Buffalo II once this (seemingly) massive campaign update drops. Pretty standard for Starfarer development.

Any sort of ETA on the next update? Any good content-adding mods to try before then?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
No idea when the update will come; could be in a few weeks, could be in a few months.

The Starsector+ mod with the compatible factions is generally pretty drat good and adds a bunch of cool poo poo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Where does one find starsector mods? I've never modded this game. Do I just search their forums for this "starsector+" mod ?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Where does one find starsector mods? I've never modded this game. Do I just search their forums for this "starsector+" mod ?

Generally yes. The starsector forums are where most of the modding takes place though I believe this thread has some resources dotted about.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you have run out of things to do, you can always play Starsector+ arcade mode for all your explosion needs.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Four Sunders with Joyeuse Fractal Lasers, four more with Unstable Photon Cannons. Red sparkles and collateral damage everywhere! :allears:

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

My favorite thing about reading the game's official forums is the ever-present insane minmaxer guy.
Hahaha it is pretty great, and he posts a whole lot of posts. Though he has also had made some good suggestions.

About the new release, someone over there posted this

quote:

0.54a -> 0.6a 11 months
0.6a -> 0.65a 14 months
0.65a -> Present 11 months
Which I suppose you could say put us on this month or around the new year.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Makes no difference, I'm busy enough with work right now. But I'm a whore for this game and have played all the past releases right into the ground so as soon as it comes out I'll be like a drat junkie yet again. Really stoked for the coming campaign expansions.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Arrath posted:

Makes no difference, I'm busy enough with work right now. But I'm a whore for this game and have played all the past releases right into the ground so as soon as it comes out I'll be like a drat junkie yet again. Really stoked for the coming campaign expansions.

Yeah, whenever a big update drops I end up binging the gently caress out of Starsector and then binge some more when a bunch of the mods get updated and then end up not playing it at all until the next update.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Implying there is anything wrong with that playstyle, or really any other way to play at all.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

McGiggins posted:

Implying there is anything wrong with that playstyle, or really any other way to play at all.

At least until release.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Was this game free at some point? I know I've played it but I can't find the activation code in my email and I don't want to buy it again if I can help it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Olewithmilk posted:

Was this game free at some point? I know I've played it but I can't find the activation code in my email and I don't want to buy it again if I can help it.

You used to be able to play for a while without buying it. I think it just had a level cap if you didn't enter a code.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

dis astranagant posted:

You used to be able to play for a while without buying it. I think it just had a level cap if you didn't enter a code.

I figured it out! The game used to be called "Starfarer" and it was in my email under that!

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I don't think it was ever free, even when it was just the combat missions. Easily worth the 10 bucks or whatever then too. I forget of it ever had a demo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Psycho Society posted:

I don't think it was ever free, even when it was just the combat missions. Easily worth the 10 bucks or whatever then too. I forget of it ever had a demo.

It had a demo back when it was Starfarer. You could putt around Corvus all you wanted but no mods or leveling past 6 without activating.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 10, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Which is how all the good games used to be back in the day..

Alex goes on about The Good Old Days Of Gaming, and the more I read and see the more it is that he actually seems to Get It.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shareware in tyool 2015.

Actually still works pretty well.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
Being limited to level 6 beats being chased around the galaxy by Captain Hector of AmbrosiaSoft

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Tanith posted:

Being limited to level 6 beats being chased around the galaxy by Captain Hector of AmbrosiaSoft

:thumbsup: Real blast from the past here.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Tanith posted:

:vince:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I still find it hilarious that one of the most popular mods for Override, hosted on their own drat site, was a 1 million credstick that you can buy and sell at leisure everywhere allowing you to defang the worst of Hector's depredations.

I used it shamelessly back when I didn't have a credit card.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

I was convinced you could kill Hector if you just tried really really hard.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

I was convinced you could kill Hector if you just tried really really hard.

I think maybe the forklift could do it.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
I actually just reinstalled Nova. Accidentally accepted the first Vellos cargo run. Oops. :suicide:

VStraken
Oct 27, 2013

Tanith posted:

I actually just reinstalled Nova. Accidentally accepted the first Vellos cargo run. Oops. :suicide:

Polaris 5ever

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've really hit a wall in my game. The pirate fleets are getting huge, I'm all maxed out on logistics points, but I get absolutely destroyed. My fleet is a ton of high-end fighters, those ball-shaped tri-tachion destroyers, the hammer-head shaped destroyers, and a "fast carrier" cruiser. I usually mop the floor with fleets larger than mine, but now that the enemy fleets are fielding multiple cruisers they wreck my poo poo fast. The enemy ships seem to just be getting... better. With good piloting I could take on a single enemy cruiser or a couple destroyers in my destroyer, but now I can barely take down their shields before the amazing enemy AI has me surrounded and trapped (drat the AI is good).

What should I do? Ditch the fighters and carriers and get a ton of Eagles? I always assumed that two fleets of equal logistics would be "balanced" against each other but it seems like fighters and smaller ships are just useless once you start tangling with cruiser fleets.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Tanith posted:

The best is even if you dont want to help the vellos guy when he approaches you, you get chased the gently caress off by feds and cant find peace until you land on some arbitrary Auroran station or whatever it was

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you are running that many fighters you will need bigger or more carriers with more flight decks. That is one thing that is really killing your fighter effectiveness is that its taking you forever to turn fighters and especially bombers around as they need to rearm. You might also need to tweak your bomber to fighter ratio so you have enough fighters to clear the space and intercept their frigates or pocket carriers and have enough bombers to kill the big stuff. You will also want to micro the bombers a little when going after big targets like battleships where you gather them with a strike group command before ordering a strike while you detract it with something big like a destroyer. You can also ditch most of the DD/CR and do a BB/CV fighter fleet. You should also put points into the fighter related skills obviously.

It use to be fighters were crazy OP, but now they are only a little OP. Back then you didn't bother bringing bombers as you just have fighters cut everything to death with a thousand cuts like a swarm of angry bees.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Tanith posted:

Never take the cargo mission to Earth :rip:

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I've really hit a wall in my game. The pirate fleets are getting huge, I'm all maxed out on logistics points, but I get absolutely destroyed. My fleet is a ton of high-end fighters, those ball-shaped tri-tachion destroyers, the hammer-head shaped destroyers, and a "fast carrier" cruiser. I usually mop the floor with fleets larger than mine, but now that the enemy fleets are fielding multiple cruisers they wreck my poo poo fast. The enemy ships seem to just be getting... better. With good piloting I could take on a single enemy cruiser or a couple destroyers in my destroyer, but now I can barely take down their shields before the amazing enemy AI has me surrounded and trapped (drat the AI is good).

What should I do? Ditch the fighters and carriers and get a ton of Eagles? I always assumed that two fleets of equal logistics would be "balanced" against each other but it seems like fighters and smaller ships are just useless once you start tangling with cruiser fleets.

Against the largest fleets it is usually good to have one or two large anchor ships that can tank quite some damage. If your fleet only consist of small fry like destroyers and below these will usually get swatted by volleys from big guns, and any remaining fighter swarm will usually suffer the same fate.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hauling bioweapons in Nova. What the hell are they using all those bioweapons for.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Friendly Tumour posted:

Hauling bioweapons in Nova. What the hell are they using all those bioweapons for.

I'll bet the buyers are dolphins. Never know when those fuckers will drop a bioweapon on your colonies.

gently caress dolphins right in their smug, genocidal faces.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Zudgemud posted:

Against the largest fleets it is usually good to have one or two large anchor ships that can tank quite some damage. If your fleet only consist of small fry like destroyers and below these will usually get swatted by volleys from big guns, and any remaining fighter swarm will usually suffer the same fate.

Try an elite, all frigate swarm. Works surprisingly well in a SS+ modded game.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

The way to go if you aren't just mopping things up in a tricked out flagship is torpedo bombers. They absolutely poo poo on cruisers. I recommend Daggers, and Vespas if you have BRDY.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Rakshasas from Shadowyards aren't quite as killy due to their torpedo being a multiwarhead type and thus less good at punching through armor, but they seem quite a bit more durable than Vespas.

I haven't really used the vanilla torpedo bombers at all, mod ones just look so much better to me aesthetically :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I put a pair of Reaper singles on my Wolf, as well as an ion cannon, and suddenly I go from desperate rearguard to opportunistically turning, flipping, and then beating the enemy to death with a metaphorical table.

I just wish it wasn't almost impossible to get Clarents. They're better than reapers in every way it seems, but I simply can't kill Templars (because they have clarents and a host of other weird op as hell poo poo), and I sure as poo poo ain't buddying up to them.

Seems my most effective option will be to try and take down a Templar fleet late game with an Onslaught fleet, but that seems a little lame.