Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well obviously buzzfeed sites are pushing the narrative that the director was a reefer-crazed degenerate who, in a haze of marijuana smoke, destroyed everything in his path. The image conjured of him doing damage to his trailer (or whatever) is consistently mentioned in the same breath as him being removed from the film, in order to imply a causal relationship. He's a monster! What will he destroy next?

That way, news sites can allege - but never outright state - that the dope fiend was ruining the film, so FOX executives had to intervene, literally replacing half the completed movie with poorly-integrated sequel teasers in a desperate attempt at saving their money.

That way you get a 'controversial' narrative of a mad, pretentious artist in a battle against the rational money guys. And this narrative ultimately gratifies the comic-book fans with the unstated but implicit third option: "If only they had listened to us! We don't care about art or money; we just want to see our childhood friends come to life - with innocence, and joy, and fun. Like in popular film Guardians Of The Galaxy. Follow this link to our listicle about 10 Shocking Things You Didn't Notice About Guardians Of The Galaxy. 15 Reasons Guardians Of The Galaxy Is Better Than Green Lantern. Which Guardians Of The Galaxy Character Are You? Vote Now."

Weird, everything I read seems to credit the dopefiend with the parts of the movie that worked (the first half) while the lovely (last) part is called out as being bad and boring due to executive interference.

But then again I only read this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Idk maybe don't get high at work?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
i liked that one older spongebob episode when the characters get superpowers. the quikster, the elastic waistband, captain magma and misappear. hope this helps.

:goonsay:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

drat, Miss Appear is a good superhero name.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

ZombieParts posted:

They've been having problems keeping the FF alive for years. The best modern iteration of them is The Incredibles.

Yeah, from what I've heard, Fantastic Four comic books have had lovely sales for just about ever. And, in general, movies tend to promote the comic and boost sales of the books from what I've heard. But with this movie, that probably wasn't going to happen (hell, it probably would have had the opposite effect, like people cancelling on the book because the movie ruined it for them). So what's Marvel to do? They can't make a good film to promote the book, so they're better off shelving it and working on what they actually control and what is actually making money for them. This is just based off what I've heard, though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Applewhite posted:

Idk maybe don't get high at work?

gently caress you! A dime bag and an eight ball is an important part of a Tranks morning!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It seems to me, a person who has not and most likely never will see this movie, that Trank wanted to do a darker weirder take on the Fant4stic 4our that the 'Studio People' ultimately started panicking about so they started ramming their fists down his throat causing him to mentally give up on the project and in turn probably lash out at his trailer furniture thus forcing the studio to do all those reshoots and re-edits ultimately resulting in a generic mess of a movie

I don't think Trank was some sort of evil drugged up clown rear end in a top hat who ruined the movie by himself, I'm way more willing to believe in studio interference from some boardroom clowns

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

gfanikf posted:

gently caress you! A dime bag and an eight ball is an important part of a Tranks morning!

Have we established yet that Trank isn't Kevin Smith out of his fat suit?

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Zzulu posted:

I dont get whats so hard about the fantastic four property. They're 4 superheroes instead of the regular one. It needs to be a team up movie like the Guardians of the Galaxy and the "science" gimmick of theirs should only be used to get them to the actual fantastic adventure I.E Space Adventure or Other World adventure

Instead we get them fighting on bridges and in some street in the first two movies and if i understand the reviews right they barely spend any time off-world in this new one either

idk it seems like ff is maybe just too wacky like for a studio who wants a new batman or avengers ff is actually very trippy with cosmic rays and a big walking rock man and rubber man while all the studio wants is something that is safe and will make them money there's also the way they relate with each other like a family and it seems like script writers for comic book movies have real problems with that kind of dynamic so when the cast is supposed to bicker but make up in a family kind of way they just snipe at each other unpleasantly and then welp here's the bad guy so we better make up.

also there's the problem with their origins i mean i'm not someone who hates on super movies reflexively but i think super hero origins are the worst things that always bog down the front half of a movie. at some point people are going to be like yeah we know or don't care how spider man became spider man just get to the fight scenes. stop trying to explain how a superman can turn himself into fire and just let him turn himself into fire please.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He clearly wanted to do a dark horror-ish film which sounds neat. What hosed it up was that the studio initially said yes to that then after filming had a coniption and made them reshoot the entire second half. Tranks comes across as a knobhead but I do not think the failure is his fault tbh. Maybe his version would have flopped but probably would have been well-received

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zzulu posted:

I dont get whats so hard about the fantastic four property. They're 4 superheroes instead of the regular one. It needs to be a team up movie like the Guardians of the Galaxy and the "science" gimmick of theirs should only be used to get them to the actual fantastic adventure I.E Space Adventure or Other World adventure

Instead we get them fighting on bridges and in some street in the first two movies and if i understand the reviews right they barely spend any time off-world in this new one either

If you do their origin story, you probably won't be able to do space adventures until the second film. If you don't do their origin story, you have to explain how a bunch of seemingly regular people (i.e., not dudes born in space like in Guardians) go off and have space adventures, as well as some allusion to how they got their powers.

Note that when people say The Incredibles was the last "good" version of F4, they didn't do wacky space adventures either even though they didn't really have an origin story (at least for the parents).

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

EmmyOk posted:

He clearly wanted to do a dark horror-ish film which sounds neat. What hosed it up was that the studio initially said yes to that then after filming had a coniption and made them reshoot the entire second half. Tranks comes across as a knobhead but I do not think the failure is his fault tbh. Maybe his version would have flopped but probably would have been well-received

yeah i heard that it sounds like a bad fit for fantastic four honestly. i think it might be cool for if someone ever options, like, the rights for planetary

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Also, the thing should have blue pants and there should at least be the coy implication that he has both a butt AND a penis and that they are both Rock Hard at all times

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Eventually The Thing should take out his massive Thing and start using it as a huge club, too

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

computer parts posted:

If you do their origin story, you probably won't be able to do space adventures until the second film. If you don't do their origin story, you have to explain how a bunch of seemingly regular people (i.e., not dudes born in space like in Guardians) go off and have space adventures, as well as some allusion to how they got their powers.

Note that when people say The Incredibles was the last "good" version of F4, they didn't do wacky space adventures either even though they didn't really have an origin story (at least for the parents).

Start in medias res, with the Fantastic Four fighting the Mole Man and his rock monster. They beat him and it goes into a flashback of how they get their powers that doesn't last that long. You can take ten minutes for the origin and that'll be more than enough for even someone who has never heard of the Fantastic Four. Then the bulk of the film is fun adventures in super science.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

burritolingus posted:

Start in medias res, with the Fantastic Four fighting the Mole Man and his rock monster. They beat him and it goes into a flashback of how they get their powers that doesn't last that long. You can take ten minutes for the origin and that'll be more than enough for even someone who has never heard of the Fantastic Four. Then the bulk of the film is fun adventures in super science.

An FF movie needs to take place in the 60s, and have bright colors and a soundtrack from a Billy Wilder film.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Red posted:

An FF movie needs to take place in the 60s, and have bright colors and a soundtrack from a Billy Wilder film.

I absolutely agree.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Red posted:

I agree. With the Corman Film style uniforms and that contemporary version of 1960s America it would work really well imho

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I always thought Tim Robbins would make a good Reed Richards.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

I agree. With the Corman Film style uniforms and that contemporary version of 1960s America it would work really well imho

I think so, yeah

embrace the inherent goofiness/campiness of the characters and don't try to make it "cool" in terms of focus-grouped contemporary appeal

take the smallest of fuckin chances and make something neat

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Red posted:

100% for this and also making every Superman film a period peice set in the 20s.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
maybe they just need to start sorting the superheros into like the decades they are most suited for

all the really goofy ones go into the 60s where the universe follows like some kinda Adam West Batman logic
stick all of your kinda boring whitebread characters in the 40s or 50s
if there is neon in the costume at all or the name references some kind of outdated electronic thingy stick em in the 80s
maybe put your gritty antihero vigilante types in the 70s or 90s

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

maybe they just need to start sorting the superheros into like the decades they are most suited for

all the really goofy ones go into the 60s where the universe follows like some kinda Adam West Batman logic
stick all of your kinda boring whitebread characters in the 40s or 50s
if there is neon in the costume at all or the name references some kind of outdated electronic thingy stick em in the 80s
maybe put your gritty antihero vigilante types in the 70s or 90s

I'm all for this, but will the gritty guys from the 90s reference the boring guys from the 50s?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Now I kinda want to see a neon cyberpunk hero have adventures in the uptight 50s.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

I'm all for this, but will the gritty guys from the 90s reference the boring guys from the 50s?

Gritty 90s Antihero will say something like "Who do you think I am, [Morally Upstanding 50s WhiteBread All-American]?" before like dispatching a bad guy in a totally s1ck 2cool fashion

It's all right here in the flowchart

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Gritty 90s Antihero will say something like "Who do you think I am, [Morally Upstanding 50s WhiteBread All-American]?" before like dispatching a bad guy in a totally s1ck 2cool fashion

It's all right here in the flowchart

Building a conan, I like it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

EmmyOk posted:

Setting, themes, and costumes are easy.

The problem is, FF would depend so much more heavily on actor-to-actor chemistry, it would be really tough to cast. You'd need to have Ben Grimm, a gruff but nice Jewish New Yorker from a blue collar background, with an over-the-top voice, have sharp banter with spoiled rich kid Johnny Storm. Sue plays referee between them. The easy one to cast is Reed, who is basically autistic.

Edit: Ha ha Mr. Autistic

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Red posted:

Setting, themes, and costumes are easy.

The problem is, FF would depend so much more heavily on actor-to-actor chemistry, it would be really tough to cast. You'd need to have Ben Grimm, a gruff but nice Jewish New Yorker from a blue collar background, with an over-the-top voice, have sharp banter with spoiled rich kid Johnny Storm. Sue plays referee between them. The easy one to cast is Reed, who is basically autistic.

Edit: Ha ha Mr. Autistic

We also need actors from the 60s tbh. Bridgette Bardot as Sue, Anthony Perkins as Mr. Autistic, Rock Hudson as Ben Grimm, not sure about Johnny.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 10, 2015

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
mf doom as dr. doom

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
must be at least one shot of Reed like sticking his neck around a corner and going "hey what's up in this room gang" or something

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Gaunab posted:

mf doom as dr. doom

Every act is preceded by a freestyle rap about loving Mr. Fantastic's bitch

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Applewhite posted:

Now I kinda want to see a neon cyberpunk hero have adventures in the uptight 50s.
Isnt that Booster Gold in some sense?

Also whoever linked Maestro used the wrong Maestro. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro_%28comics%29

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

We also need actors from the 60s tbh. Bridgette Bardot as Sue, Anthony Perkins as Mr. Autistic, Rock Hudson as Ben Grimm, not sure about Johnny.

Rock Hudson as Ben Grimm, come on. Grimm's straight up Jackie Gleason.

Johnny is James Dean.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wrong thread!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Best Invisible girl.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Young Freud posted:

Rock Hudson as Ben Grimm, come on. Grimm's straight up Jackie Gleason.

Johnny is James Dean.

james dean did an effects test where he turned into the human torch. it was pretty cool but it only worked once.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Rick and Morty is a good show and comic.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
If I was making the Fantastic Four at this point in the game, I'd skip all the origin poo poo and just introduce them as heroes at the top of their game. Straight up superstars bigger than the Avengers and appearing on talk shows and getting a lot of media attention. Be all smug and "take that Marvel" while they show newspaper clips saying poo poo like "Fantastic Four easily stop alien invasion in New York" and just a huge arrogance about them. The Dr Doom, who is basically Iron Man, appears and is like "more like that fagot four" and a rivalry ensues.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ZombieParts posted:

If I was making the Fantastic Four at this point in the game, I'd skip all the origin poo poo and just introduce them as heroes at the top of their game. Straight up superstars bigger than the Avengers and appearing on talk shows and getting a lot of media attention. Be all smug and "take that Marvel" while they show newspaper clips saying poo poo like "Fantastic Four easily stop alien invasion in New York" and just a huge arrogance about them. The Dr Doom, who is basically Iron Man, appears and is like "more like that fagot four" and a rivalry ensues.

Same idea, kinda

They're cocky and egotistical and super scientists, appearing on tv and what not and being called the Fantastic Four and loving it. The country of Latveria is in constant chaos, so they intervene, giving the rebel leader a power suit they invented. But then hte rebel leader basically begins a genocide in Latveria, and they go to stop him but are defeated. Headlines start calling hm Dr. Doom as he promises once he emancipates Latveria any nation that harbors terrorists will be next.

how hard was that Fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

burritolingus posted:

Open with a quick montage and voice-over. It'd take less than five minutes. "these guys went into space, spcae rays gave them space powers" loving got it.

• Locked thread