Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

They said there are other activities too. I bet there are jeep time trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I hope there are some Skyrim type radiant quests at MB. Wilful Ferret asks you to deliver a love letter to Jaguar. And they're both dudes. And you can have Ocelot forge a fake to make it a break up letter. poo poo like that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think Ocelot would shut down a potential male/male relationship because it would be akin to crushing his own hopes of hooking up with Big Boss.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sweet. Found a midnight launch in London. Gonna be playing this thing from 1am right through to the morning in 15 short days....

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Aurain posted:

I don't think Ocelot would shut down a potential male/male relationship because it would be akin to crushing his own hopes of hooking up with Big Boss.

Listen, Wilful Ferret is no good for Jaguar, they'll just end up making dinner awkward.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If you can get your own Cypher drones I hope you can do one better: Kidnappers.

Man, if you could deploy your own Kidnapper in Phantom Pain, haha, that'd be so sweet. A noisy alternative to a Fulton Balloon, it's a drone you send out to snatch a guy by the foot, he's helpless and screaming and distracts everyone else to his location. If nobody gets to him in time, he gets fultoned away.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Just got a 297m tranq headshot in Ground Zeroes, I hope there are a million leaderboards for dumb stuff like this in Phantom Pain.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

LawfulWaffle posted:

There are also the shooting galleries. I don't now how dynamic they are, and if they are specific to the weapons equipped or the layout picked by the player. And since you can go inside your struts and buildings I bet there will be a lot of cool things to find and interact with.

I'm sure Mother Base will have a ton of content contingent on morale, story progression, your buddies, etc. It was a split second in the Gamescom demo, but there was a shot of Big Boss sneaking in a hydroponic garden. And there were certain struts like Intel that we haven't seen yet. September 1st is so far away.

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hope Ocelot doesn't double cross Big Boss. Maybe I'm naive, but I'd like to think that he really is 100% loyal to him.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

September 1st is so far away.

Don't be a pessimist. September 1 has never been closer, and every second that passes brings us even closer!

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

RALF posted:

I hope Ocelot doesn't double cross Big Boss. Maybe I'm naive, but I'd like to think that he really is 100% loyal to him.

Ocelot would never betray his true love, Big Boss.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Literally everything Ocelot does post MGS3 (chronologically speaking) is for Big Boss, isn't it?

I've been mostly going blind on Phantom Pain, but now that it's so close to release I'm curious about the multiplayer. I know about FOBs, but does it have competitive stuff like Metal Gear Online or the coop stuff from Peace Walker?

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Literally everything Ocelot does post MGS3 (chronologically speaking) is for Big Boss, isn't it?

I've been mostly going blind on Phantom Pain, but now that it's so close to release I'm curious about the multiplayer. I know about FOBs, but does it have competitive stuff like Metal Gear Online or the coop stuff from Peace Walker?

It has MGO but it was delayed a bit. I think it was confirmed that there's no co-op.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

MissileWaster posted:

It has MGO but it was delayed a bit. I think it was confirmed that there's no co-op.
yup

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MissileWaster posted:

Ah, bummer on the coop. Thanks.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Manatee Cannon posted:

People who get TPP will have access to MGO3 when it goes live in October (consoles) and January (PC).

Video of gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY1XP5YNrQI

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

Don't be a pessimist. September 1 has never been closer, and every second that passes brings us even closer!

It's true!
Each day is a bigger and bigger chunk of the time left until September 1st. We're picking up speed!

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

RALF posted:

I think Big Boss is the one person Ocelot couldn't double cross - it was BB being turned into a living corpse that finally got Ocelot to betray the Patriots. If you count the Philosophers as the same thing that means double triple-crossing the organisation he's been part of since birth.

I love how subsequent games kept layering on the deceptions Ocelot was pulling back in MGS1:

- Liquid thinks Ocelot is his right-hand man
- BUT Ocelot's actually an agent for Solidus, who orchestrated the incident as a first strike against the Patriots
- NO ACTUALLY Ocelot's the Patriots' man inside Solidus' camp, and Shadow Moses was allowed to occur so Soldius could be drawn out
- HAHA PSYCHE Ocelot's really working with EVA to eliminate the Patriots

and he was even able give each one a plausible reason for why he killed the DARPA chief (even if it was just "accidentally killed him, soz")

Ocelot is the best.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What's changed between MGO2 and 3? MGO2 was a very inaccessible game. Which is not to say its bad, but for a multiplayer action shooter, it was very complex in comparison to other multiplayer titles at the time. Those who really understood the mechanics were able to dominate, and teams would usually get destroyed with no way of ever having a chance of doing anything useful during a match.

Most players are going to be turned off MGO3 when they go an entire match being endlessly knocked out and can't do anything about it but watch their character lay on the ground, asleep, for an entire 15 minutes.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

I said come in! posted:

What's changed between MGO2 and 3? MGO2 was a very inaccessible game. Which is not to say its bad, but for a multiplayer action shooter, it was very complex in comparison to other multiplayer titles at the time. Those who really understood the mechanics were able to dominate, and teams would usually get destroyed with no way of ever having a chance of doing anything useful during a match.

I'm not sure if I'm misinterpreting you but I find the issue was the opposite: namely, that you had all these different gameplay mechanics and play styles that were ultimately, depending on the mode, completely inferior to running and gunning with an M4 or a P90. I know people like to joke about people headshotting you from across the map with a pistol but, by the end of the game's life cycle, that was basically what high level gameplay was.

In MGO3 I hope they make alternative playstyles more feasible. I also desparately hope they remove MGO2 level system where you could not only gain levels but also lose them if you did poorly because a. it encouraged aborting (even before a match because if you got matched up against a lower level team it meant your level was inevitably going to go down) and b. it encouraged lone wolf behavior because you were judged in contrast to your team mates as well as your opponents. It was a bad system.

Dr. Video Games 0117
May 25, 2006
On dates I like to...

In It For The Tank posted:

It was a bad system.

I remember seeing a tweet not too long regarding MGO for 5 stating that it was going to be its own experience separate from older MGO versions (specifically referring to the "feel" of mgo). It makes me feel that its going to play a bit more like a traditional 3rd person shooter, but that's just my interpretation.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Watching that trailer actually brought to mind the factions multiplayer in The Last of Us. I would not mind something similar to that but with more variety, since everything starting to blend together is what killed my interest in TLoU multiplayer in the end.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The trailer made it look like you shared information on marked enemies which is cool. You could potentially have a scout / spotter player who's absolutely clutch despite never firing a shot.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

Ocelot would never betray his true love, Big Boss.

Ocelot's one true love is doublecrossing, but he betrays this habit sometimes.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

"MissileWaster" posted:

I think it was confirmed that there's no co-op.

BOOOOOOO

:(

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I made a thing

Wallpaper sized

and here is a shirt if anyone wants

edit:

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

That's awesome and I hope you don't mind I cut it into iphone wallpaper size

I just used your dimensions. I hope they're right.

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 16, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
That fuckin rocks

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Shoehead posted:

That fuckin rocks

It's pretty good

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

RALF
Mar 15, 2009

Grimey Drawer

This is good, isn't it?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Oh myyyy gosh

:kimchi:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

could've kept the aspect ratio :argh:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

The fact they flap their arms is incredible. Thanks, Fox Engine!

First thing to do in Phantom pain: Replace Quiet's model with Ocelot.

iGestalt fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 16, 2015

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I want to see Big Boss with the chicken hat furiously pecking the ground, and also making GBS threads on soldiers from above.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Metal Gear Redemption is coming along nicely.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Playing a nonlethal MGS2 run. Started yesterday, had to stop at the Emma platform walk to watch the kid. Controls feel so janky, but way better than PW.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

iGestalt posted:

The fact they flap their arms is incredible. Thanks, Fox Engine!

First thing to do in Phantom pain: Replace Quiet'severy model with Ocelot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Holy poo poo. How does this happen in games? Thats exactly like RDR.

So I need some advice for the pacifist trophy in GZ. I can't seem to get out with zero kills. I know you can blow up the tank, but what are the rules for the heli at the end? I swear to god I didn't kill anyone outside of the heli and tank so there must be some trick to not kill the gun guys in the heli.

That or some random KO'ed guys got caught in enemy gunfire. That trophy is a bitch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

hagie posted:

Playing a nonlethal MGS2 run. Started yesterday, had to stop at the Emma platform walk to watch the kid. Controls feel so janky, but way better than PW.

:stonk:

• Locked thread