Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

There was a shooting or two outside after a showing of Menace II Society.

Also all the dumb ricer poo poo after The Fast and The Furious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea this is the issue. There's no 'security' involved, it's literally 'oh god those blacks are gonna see those other blacks say 'gently caress the police' and what if they start rioting?!' This is an absurd thing that's never been done before (unless I'm forgetting something?) and has 100% racial motivations.

Svanja posted:

That is exactly what it is. My Tea Party parents texted me last night about having my mom's purse checked at our theater in San Antonio (we're actually in the suburbs). They said "think it was for that rap movie." I told them I thought it was silly, since the other shootings were at a superhero flick and a romantic comedy. Unless there was a threat made nationally against the movie's audience, there was no need for beefed up security. My mom responded with "La had to get extra security because the crowd really got out of control. I guess they want to be careful"

I have a feeling Fox News played it up, because I didn't see anything about that. I just stopped responding because I knew that telling her the police should be on the lookout for a white guy with backpacks would just start a huge argument.

My parents are in the mid-60s. I'm in my 40s. The gulf between us couldn't be any larger. I wish I could blame RW media all for it, but honestly, they've had lovely beliefs my whole life.

Oh you guys are completely right. What I mean is that you are more likely have a white racist shoot up the place and extra security is needed for that reason alone. Not because of unruly blacks getting uppity.

Then again, this is America.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Should be a Chik-Fil-A and "Gays Outta Business", if it's the Huckster.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What is privatized single payer. Who is the single payer.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

euphronius posted:

TrumpCare, obviously.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

euphronius posted:

Basically it would be like the NHS except as a semi-private government corporation. Like how Amtrak and the post office technically are.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That's Not privatized at all!

He's just throwing around buzz words!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

euphronius posted:

That's Not privatized at all!

He's just throwing around buzz words!

Well you see, the "private" part makes it sound good to his current crowd.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Comcast will get the contract.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

ReidRansom posted:

I'm just going off that list there. And I'm fairly certain he has also talked about police demilitarization.

Actually no. One of the more surprising elements from Bernie's response to ferguson was his refusal to advocate taking weapons away from the police and specifically saying that in the ferguson case there was no problem in police having all that military hardware just in how they were using it.

He was asked this question point blank and answered with no ambiguity. This is in line with his general "stop blaming the poor innocent guns" stance vis-a-vi gun control.

http://votesmart.org/public-statement/914062/msnbc-the-ed-show-transcript-ferguson-missouri#.VdEGdVJOLCQ

transcript posted:

Interviewer:

Is it the equipment or is it the use of the equipment that`s the issue in your opinion?

Bernie:

I think it`s the latter end. Look, clearly, you know, police departments all over this country had very difficult times dealing with drug pushers and people who are very well off. And we want to make sure that our police department has the effective tools and equipment to combat those threats.

If you are going to advocate a machine gun in every pot then you can't also advocate disarming the police.

/Shrug

I find it hypocritical of him to talk about sir Robert Peel's precepts of community policing in the beginning of that interview while then utterly rejecting a core component of Peel's model - that police authority comes from the respect of the community, not from superior arms.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

What source where

McAlister posted:

Actually no. One of the more surprising elements from Bernie's response to ferguson was his refusal to advocate taking weapons away from the police and specifically saying that in the ferguson case there was no problem in police having all that military hardware just in how they were using it.

He was asked this question point blank and answered with no ambiguity. This is in line with his general "stop blaming the poor innocent guns" stance vis-a-vi gun control.

In terms of winning the general this is a smart stance

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

McAlister posted:

http://votesmart.org/public-statement/914062/msnbc-the-ed-show-transcript-ferguson-missouri#.VdEGdVJOLCQ

lol you are utterly without shame.

the next loving paragraph after his citation posted:

But on the other hand, I do not think you need tanks and heavy military looking equipment in low income communities in America. I think that it essentially makes a difficult situation, a dangerous situation much more provocative and much more difficult. Again, police departments should not be perceived as occupying ominous (ph). So, I think this is an issue along with the economic issue of having to create jobs for our young people that Congress should be addressing when we return.

SCHULTZ: Does the curfew block the citizen`s right to peaceful protest? What do you think?

SANDERS: Well, of course it does, on some circumstances it may be a valid response. I don`t know enough to tell you about the circumstance in Ferguson.

SCHULTZ: You would be in favor of reducing the amount of equipment and the use of this military equipment that we have seen?

SANDERS: I think I would be absolutely in favor of taking a hard, hard look at that program. I don`t know that you could make 100 percent generalization but I do not want to see communities and small towns and small cities all over America have heavy equipment which makes people in
those communities just feel like they are an enemy. That I think is not appropriate.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

quote:

So, I think this is an issue along with the economic issue of having to create jobs for our young people that Congress should be addressing when we return.

"Unemployment delenda est."

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Gyges posted:

Look at this guy who has forgotten about the ROOTS riots that brought the nation to it's knees. One of the main contributors to the nation turning it's back on Jimmy Carter.

I was working at the theater when the Malcolm X movie came out, they decided to bring in extra security for opening week just to be safe. Two armed guards to keep the peace for a week in a nearly empty theater featuring a half full opening night showing of a movie.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Svanja posted:

That is exactly what it is. My Tea Party parents texted me last night about having my mom's purse checked at our theater in San Antonio (we're actually in the suburbs). They said "think it was for that rap movie." I told them I thought it was silly, since the other shootings were at a superhero flick and a romantic comedy. Unless there was a threat made nationally against the movie's audience, there was no need for beefed up security. My mom responded with "La had to get extra security because the crowd really got out of control. I guess they want to be careful"

I have a feeling Fox News played it up, because I didn't see anything about that. I just stopped responding because I knew that telling her the police should be on the lookout for a white guy with backpacks would just start a huge argument.

My parents are in the mid-60s. I'm in my 40s. The gulf between us couldn't be any larger. I wish I could blame RW media all for it, but honestly, they've had lovely beliefs my whole life.

Should've just straight up told them it's because of all the old white people sneaking in food and alcohol.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Chokes McGee posted:

We went through this exact same thing when Do the Right Thing came out. Spike Lee's response was basically a giant :psyduck:, because authorities really do believe a movie with black protagonist rebels and violence will end up like the video for Jocko Homo.

Personally, I think they're still pissed they let In the Heat of the Night get away with Tibbs slapping a racist and getting massive cheers for it. :colbert:

Let's be honest about the real reason for visible security: Compton attracts a black audience, and masses of black people in public scare non-black individuals. Its a natural result of mixing the correlation of concentrated poverty and race with causation. The security checks are there to reassure white folk that the theatre is aware masses of black people are on the premises.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol you are utterly without shame.

I must say, I was completely surprised at this display of dishonesty.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Apparently Donald Trump is Batman:

quote:

Into the helicopter went William, 9; Sean, 6; Brendan, 5; and Henry, who just turned 3. Their mother went with them. Henry got scared just before takeoff and left the aircraft to be with his father. The other boys remained. William brought a GoPro camera to capture the experience; a clip later wound up on Facebook.

"Mr. Trump," he said, aiming the camera at his benefactor.

"Yes," Trump said, pulling on the lapels of his jacket.

"Are you Batman?" the boy asked.

"I am Batman," Trump said.

The helicopter roared to life, causing another windstorm, hurling more dust at the people outside. William looked out the window, marveling at the power of the machine.

Here was Trump's vantage point: a comfortable seat in the eye of the storm, a place to watch the rotor wash without messing up your hair. To William, this was the best moment of the whole ride. It felt just like a video game.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Well, that's usually the smart answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb5-LLQ3FjY

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gyges posted:

So the Florida Legislature has come back with it's newly drawn congressional districts, in response to the Florida Supreme Court ruling that their previous map was total bullshit. The main district causing the fuss, Corrine Brown's District 5 has been completely reworked.

District 5 before:

The proposed districts as of now(District 5 is now the purple one running across the FL/GA border):

Brown has filed a lawsuit in Federal Court over the new district, invoking Trayvon Martin, among others, as to why this is an injustice. Everything I've read/heard about the new districts seems to be a likely net of 1 Democratic seat for Florida and Brown's District 5 retaining an African American representative. From everything I can find, the real problem for Corrine Brown in District 5 is that she'll probably pull some actual competition from the Tallahassee area, potentially losing her seat.

Other fun things to come out of the redistricting:
  • District 10's Daniel Webster complaining in testimony before the committee that the new lines are clearly drawn to disfavor the incumbent, which he thinks is totally wrong and illegal. His district is going from one that voted 52-47 Romney to one that would have voted 61-38 Obama.
  • Charlie Crist is, like, 99.997% back in politics to run for the new St. Petersburg district that now includes all of St. Petersburg.
  • The seat Crist is going for is the one Alex Sink lost in the special election last time. Current seat warmer David Jolly has totally unrelatedly come to the conclusion that he'd rather run to replace Rubio in the Senate.
  • My district didn't change and I'm still stuck being represented by that chicken fucker, Ander Chrenshaw.

While the new map is so much better than I thought it would end up being, there's still a decent chance that the Court doesn't approve it. Apparently District 5 is still a little bullshit in how it snakes in and out of Tallahassee.

I missed this post but does anyone have a link to a in depth story of how this challenge was accomplished?

I've read some articles but a more in depth investigation and also possible transcripts of testimony

I can only find some nominal articles on it and not something more in depth.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 17, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Throwing Turtles posted:

I was working at the theater when the Malcolm X movie came out, they decided to bring in extra security for opening week just to be safe. Two armed guards to keep the peace for a week in a nearly empty theater featuring a half full opening night showing of a movie.

NWA is going to be huge.
How big is it going to be Donald? HUGE!.

Not the same thing but the extra security because black people is just dumb.

2 white males shoot up movie theaters, how can we address this threat?

Those black people are fixin to have a pro black movie. Everyone get their guns!

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 17, 2015

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

duz posted:

Should've just straight up told them it's because of all the old white people sneaking in food and alcohol.

HAhahaha, great thing was, they found her diet pepsi in her purse during the search. They let her take it in anyway.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Man, Huckabee is stealing Rand Paul's thunder.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm still represented by a used car dealer-turned-Republican fundraiser in FL-16. Why couldn't Crist's soon-to-be district extend 5 miles south :smith:

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Are there any pictures of Trey Gowdy that don't invoke punching instinct?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

McAlister posted:

If you are going to advocate a machine gun in every pot then you can't also advocate disarming the police.

Wait, why not?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Pretends to be a rich racist buffoon, while secretly swooping in at night with the Trumpcopter to make Single Payer and Reproductive Rights safe for us all. :patriot:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pohl posted:

NWA is going to be huge.
How big is it going to be Donald? HUGE!.

Not the same thing but the extra security because black people is just dumb.

2 white males shoot up movie theaters, how can we address this threat?

Those black people are fixin to have a pro black movie. Everyone get their guns!

$56 million box office debut, making it the highest grossing R-rated film to open in August.

Almost double it's production budget, too.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He really is the hero this country deserves

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chantilly Say posted:

Wait, why not?

Because McAlister is lying :ssh:

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In terms of winning the general this is a smart stance

Actually sensible gun legislation has overwhelming majority support. 92% of gun owners - and 86% of republicans - support background checks, for example.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/211321-poll-most-gun-owners-support-universal-background-checks

Bernie is way out of the mainstream on guns. He voted against background checks ( the Brady Bill ). After sandy hook he had this to say:

"Sanders on Sandy Hook posted:

If you passed the strongest gun control legislation tomorrow, I don’t think it will have a profound effect on the tragedies we have seen

After Charleston he tap dances for a bit about how "urban" America is all snotty and superior and doesn't appreciate how integral guns are to rural America and how the good people of Vermont don't have any gun control at all and poo poo like Charleston doesn't happen there, then closes with:

Sanders on Charleston posted:

I will talk about guns at some length, but not right now.

Yeah yeah yeah. We can't talk about background checks after a massacre they could have stopped because emotions are high and we can't talk about it between them because everything is ok.

------

Note: according to Pew fewer than 30% of Hispanics think gun laws should be loosened and only about a third of blacks think this. http://www.people-press.org/2012/04/25/more-support-for-gun-rights-gay-marriage-than-in-2008-or-2004/1/

Women also are substantially more in favor of gun control than men with 65% favoring stricter controls than the status quo ( http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/explaining-the-gender-gap-on-gun-control-20130412 ) ( this is an uptick from the pew link but is also more recent and respondents cited sandy hook ).

Note2: minorities make up 40% of democratic voters and a majority of the remaining 60% is white women .

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

/Shrug

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

McAlister posted:

Actually sensible gun legislation has overwhelming majority support. 92% of gun owners - and 86% of republicans - support background checks, for example.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/211321-poll-most-gun-owners-support-universal-background-checks

Bernie is way out of the mainstream on guns. He voted against background checks ( the Brady Bill ). After sandy hook he had this to say:

After Charleston he tap dances for a bit about how "urban" America is all snotty and superior and doesn't appreciate how integral guns are to rural America and how the good people of Vermont don't have any gun control at all and poo poo like Charleston doesn't happen there, then closes with:

Yeah yeah yeah. We can't talk about background checks after a massacre they could have stopped because emotions are high and we can't talk about it between them because everything is ok.

------

Note: according to Pew fewer than 30% of Hispanics think gun laws should be loosened and only about a third of blacks think this. http://www.people-press.org/2012/04/25/more-support-for-gun-rights-gay-marriage-than-in-2008-or-2004/1/

Women also are substantially more in favor of gun control than men with 65% favoring stricter controls than the status quo ( http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/explaining-the-gender-gap-on-gun-control-20130412 ) ( this is an uptick from the pew link but is also more recent and respondents cited sandy hook ).

Note2: minorities make up 40% of democratic voters and a majority of the remaining 60% is white women .

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

/Shrug

There is a Bernie vs Hilary thread ya'll know that right?

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

McAlister posted:

You can use gun control to regulate gun related crimes such as homicides with a gun or armed robbery, but not mass shootings. In the case of Sandy Hook or Charleston, no legislation would've prevented it- not when getting something second hand is easy. The unfortunate reality is that Brady Bill his hilariously ineffective and gun control, as it currently is, comes off as inept because of it.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

The last movie I went to was about 5 years ago but I'm tempted to go see this movie.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Job Truniht posted:

You can use gun control to regulate gun related crimes such as homicides with a gun or armed robbery, but not mass shootings. In the case of Sandy Hook or Charleston, no legislation would've prevented it- not when getting something second hand is easy. The unfortunate reality is that Brady Bill his hilariously ineffective and gun control, as it currently is, comes off as inept because of it.

wrong thread man.
I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just pointing out this isn't the proper thread.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pohl posted:

The last movie I went to was about 5 years ago but I'm tempted to go see this movie.

This but rather than 5 years ago, the last movie I saw was Fury Road, mainly because of similar reasons (it made human garbage hopping mad).

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Hey, I'm a Sanderista but I really appreciate the effort posts on Hilary. Here's to an awesome election!

FAUXTON posted:

This but rather than 5 years ago, the last movie I saw was Fury Road, mainly because of similar reasons (it made human garbage hopping mad).

Am I going to regret asking about this?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

That was such a stupid "controversy", it was barely even about anything in the movie itself.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Armani posted:

According to said human garbage, it was too feminist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Armani posted:

Fury Road has a predominately female protagonist cast and literally every woman with lines is strong and defies the villain. It also makes the majority of the plot about Charlize Theron's character, with Max being a drifter who ends up in their group by accident.

• Locked thread