Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Dentsu Dr.pepper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Nippon Dads

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Kawasaki Kool aid

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm thinking Fujitsu Folgers.

On an unrelated note, how high up the Sysco corporate ladder do we have to yell before they stop sending this poor girl over to us to get rejected weekly?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
Nissan Fireball

Honda 4Loko

Samsung Sanka

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Damnit, if it were just a japanese word plus a japanese drink I could guess "Chinpo Yakult". :argh:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Trebuchet King posted:

On an unrelated note, how high up the Sysco corporate ladder do we have to yell before they stop sending this poor girl over to us to get rejected weekly?

You think it's a ladder but you're actually yelling into an empty hole.

Willie, I've had that night, with every variation you can think of, hotel life is full of rotten employees that loving suck but hang on due to corporate structure/having an hr department. I got so tired of hearing "but that's what they ORDERED" from servers who ring in fairy tale steak temps, or dairy free beurre blanc, or SALT ALLERGY. I finally added to preshift lineup "if I needed to hear every stupid thing a customer said, I wouldn't need you, I'd just let them come back and talk to me. Your job is to turn all of that poo poo into the four words I need to read on a ticket to make your food."

Fake edit:
SALMON
Type own: MOIST

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

the great deceiver posted:

I think shelling fava beans is the most psychosis-inducing prep job I have done. I hate them so loving much.
Coming from a while back, but 40 lbs of fresh fava beans have nothing, NOTHING on 40 lbs of nopales. Added benefit is that no matter what you do you will end up with a microscopic spine somewhere that will be impossible to remove and bother you for a week.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Casio Coke

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Acura Surge?

pile of brown posted:

You think it's a ladder but you're actually yelling into an empty hole.

Willie, I've had that night, with every variation you can think of, foodservice is full of rotten employees that loving suck but hang on due to corporate structure/having an hr department.

Willie, that was a beautiful post.

Shenanigans:

Our smokers have a trigger that's (wait for it) triggered by opening/closing the door. Open door, racks stop. Close door, racks move. Simple. One of them is broken and to stop the revolving rack you have to flip off the power switch to the smoker. Usually, this is a minor inconvenience that isn't nearly worth the money it would cost to fix. The exception is when someone needlessly checks the ribs and leaves the smoker turned off for 30 minutes. Normally, this is the result of an IQ that, well...to put it kindly, disability tax incentives might be involved. Today it was due to the distraction of being on a personal phone call during service, pausing between sentences to finger the remnants of an empty dessert dish and lick their finger, on the line, in full view of the guests.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Blast Hardcheese.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Vorenus posted:

Today it was due to the distraction of being on a personal phone call during service, pausing between sentences to finger the remnants of an empty dessert dish and lick their finger, on the line, in full view of the guests.

How fast did the axe drop on that one?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Willie, your Frank's red hot incident is why this place was smart enough to hand out chef's blacks instead of chef's whites. Us line cooks get t shirts, but if you went to culinary school, you get a nice black chef's jacket.

I almost want to go to culinary school just so I can get one. I just want the pen holder on my sleeve. So handy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

AA is for Quitters posted:

Willie, your Frank's red hot incident is why this place was smart enough to hand out chef's blacks instead of chef's whites. Us line cooks get t shirts, but if you went to culinary school, you get a nice black chef's jacket.

I almost want to go to culinary school just so I can get one. I just want the pen holder on my sleeve. So handy.

Go punch some culinary shithead in the face and take his coat, don't be a pussy. Get it done.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Go punch some culinary shithead in the face and take his coat, don't be a pussy. Get it done.

then eat his heart to gain his power

It's fun when your replacement shows up, then walks out before you're done wrapping up so they can take over. Got a nice dinner for sticking around until the call-in showed up, though.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

What's this elitist bullshit? Erryone at my job gets a chef's jacket. Too bad we order approximately 30,000 XXLs for all the fatass grill cooks and like, one set of smalls to be shared among myself and the other 2 women in my kitchen.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

it's not actually elitism; it's to help keep them from realizing how much money they squandered and having a meltdown mid-rush.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Or just buy your own online, even the nice ones aren't expensive.

My kitchen's all t-shirts and jeans. I'm the only one with actual cooks' pants. They are fools because there is no garment more comfortable than cooks' pants.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I'm the only one with actual cooks' pants. They are fools because there is no garment more comfortable than cooks' pants.

If you're talking about checks, you're so loving wrong it hurts.

I've made it a requirement for hiring me that I will not wear checks. gently caress those things.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

They are fools because there is no garment more comfortable than cooks' pants.

Scrubs 4 lyfe

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Jesus. Things like willie's night are why I leave treats* at the bar when a sous is on a forced double clopen.

*whiskey. Good whiskey. I also keep the promo expensive poo poo in my desk as a "sorry a server hosed a pick during the rush and it left you weeded for hours" thing. I always wanted a desk for that very reason.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Willie Tomg posted:

bullshit food pres like that is basically a BDSM club for sexually conservative urbanites with more money than brains. they don't really have the firmest idea of what they like, so they want someone they deem an authority to tell them what they really need. and then they want to be punished for it.
See: people who stand in line for two hours for pop-ups. loving San Francisco.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
I know chef's jackets are cheap, but I'm cheap too and not going to buy one when I have 6 nice t-shirts to wear.

Besides, if I punch anyone here it'd be one of the idiot servers. There are some that are great, and if they see me in the weeds they'll grab their own desserts. Then there are the ones that see 20 dessert tickets before theirs and just stand there staring at me tapping their feet impatiently. Like go check your other tables, I can knock out 5 creme brulees fast, but I am limited by my torch. If you want your poo poo that badly, you are trained on how to make them, plate your own drat cheesecake.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

idiotsavant posted:

See: people who stand in line for two hours for pop-ups. loving San Francisco.

HEY NOW.

(That's why we sell tickets months in advance now. gently caress waiting in line.)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

My kitchen's all t-shirts and jeans. I'm the only one with actual cooks' pants. They are fools because there is no garment more comfortable than cooks' pants.

Hospital I work at has black cook pants for us, and they're so stiff and uncomfortable. I just keep wearing my army surplus cargo pants. So much more comfortable, and durable as hell. I should replace the pair with bleach spots from decking though.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
This derision for culinary school seems a bit wierd to me. Here in Sweden everyone I know who works in the industry went to culinary school beforehand. That is pretty much the rule, as I understand it, although there of course are plenty of exceptions.

Here culinary school is simply a specialization you can pick when choosing what kond och high school program you want. So you start out at 15 and then it's a three year program which also involve a lot of apprenticeship work in real kitchens. So when the students have finished at about age 18 they will have a lot of real world experience to go along with what they were taught at school. Of course people still start working in kitchens without that background, but being a culinary school student is for most the normal way to start out a culinary career and not something that will earn any form of scorn from co-workers. I take it the US system works a lot differently?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Just order 'em. Whites run ~25 bucks for reasonable quality, and the pen/thermometer holders are amazingly useful. I still pull out my old baker's shirts for intensive cooking days around the house because they're just handy as poo poo and I haven't talked myself into throwing away my checks and whites.

Deke : Yeah, US culinary schools are generally on the tech school/associates' degree level, only more expensive. $30k worth of debt isn't too far off average, to get a degree that will put you in a starting position you could get with a couple years of line experience and then get thrown into kitchens with no real knowledge of how much the suck hurts.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 19, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DekeThornton posted:

This derision for culinary school seems a bit wierd to me. Here in Sweden everyone I know who works in the industry went to culinary school beforehand. That is pretty much the rule, as I understand it, although there of course are plenty of exceptions.

Here culinary school is simply a specialization you can pick when choosing what kond och high school program you want. So you start out at 15 and then it's a three year program which also involve a lot of apprenticeship work in real kitchens. So when the students have finished at about age 18 they will have a lot of real world experience to go along with what they were taught at school. Of course people still start working in kitchens without that background, but being a culinary school student is for most the normal way to start out a culinary career and not something that will earn any form of scorn from co-workers. I take it the US system works a lot differently?

Bourdain went to the CIA back in the 70s when it was a place for gently caress-ups to learn a trade skill, but since then it has become a place for privileged wealthy kids to go to when 4 year colleges are too much for them. Apparently the standard is to get a culinary degree in the US, then spend 5 years working for free in Europe before anyone takes you seriously.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
So there really is no basic culinary education available apart from some college/university level courses for adults? I mean I think there are similar university level culinary educations available here as well, but mainly culinary education seems to be something you do as a high school trade education. This seems to be the basic template, and then specifics vary from school to school.

I guess the US school system doesn't really offer trade skills specialized high school programs?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Every cullinary school kid I ever worked with (and mind you we're talking community college cullinary arts, nothing fancy like CIA) was super slow, had no respect for consistency, and had no idea about how food cost worked. It was painfully obvious that they were evaluated more on the details of how they plated individual dishes than on anything else. And fine, they're good at plating, but when we're getting slammed that's not that useful, and when we're getting slammed is not the time to be coming up with new plating designs.

I can think of many former coworkers like this. Some of them were humble enough to keep learning and listen to us, and they became pretty good line cooks. Others thought they were too good to listen to the guys who had never taken the two-year community college cullinary course and they were eventually fired for being useless.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

I grew up in a rural part of a small state where a handful of regional highschools handled several different nearby towns. We had 3 choices: expensive boarding school, "standard" highschool, and a vocational/technical highschool. Standard highschool the only thing you do is follow baking recipes. Usually you spend about a week reading the recipe and watching the teacher demo it, then the class splits up into groups and they all make biscuits/whatever the gently caress.

The technical school had a 2 week rotation where you would spend 2 weeks in standard Math/Science/English classes, and then 2 weeks in a "shop" class. The school offered a variety of "shops", but the big ones were basic web development, woodworking, metalworking, auto repair, office work, and learning to drive and operate machinery like lawn mowers, snow plows, safely cutting trees, and poo poo like that. They had a cooking shop that was quite good, as I understand, because you worked in the school cafeteria and the instructors were "real chefs" or whatever the gently caress.

I understand that technical schools of that nature are something of a rarity. I haven't seen one in any of the other 5 places that I've lived. There was also a stigma surrounding the tech school where it was considered to be for "dumb kids". The idea was that you'd go there and pick up some interesting trade skills if you had no intention of going to college, and in my experience at least they liked to drill into our heads that if we didn't go to college we would be unemployable and poor forever.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Every cullinary school kid I ever worked with (and mind you we're talking community college cullinary arts, nothing fancy like CIA) was super slow, had no respect for consistency, and had no idea about how food cost worked. It was painfully obvious that they were evaluated more on the details of how they plated individual dishes than on anything else. And fine, they're good at plating, but when we're getting slammed that's not that useful, and when we're getting slammed is not the time to be coming up with new plating designs.

I can think of many former coworkers like this. Some of them were humble enough to keep learning and listen to us, and they became pretty good line cooks. Others thought they were too good to listen to the guys who had never taken the two-year community college cullinary course and they were eventually fired for being useless.

That's been my experience too with kids who did not have a job cooking before going to school. They can all make really good food but they can't do it quickly in a high stress environment, which is pretty drat important. The people who were crazy enough to invest in school after already get some cooking experience tend to be pretty good though.

Action George fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 19, 2015

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I think what you get out of culinary school depends a lot on what you put into it. I'm one of those people who went to community college culinary school with no prior experience besides being a barista and I can prep/rock a station in the most intense of volume faster than the vast majority of cooks I've met, including all those crusty motherfuckers who love to tell you how they've been cooking since they were 15.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

quote:

too many hilarious Japanese corporate + oddball American drink names to quote

I read this just before work, and holy poo poo you guys had me in stitches. mindphlux got the first name right, so every time I had to interact with her sourpuss today, I'd just mumble "SONY INSTANT BREAKFAST" to the dishes, snicker, and immediately cheer up. Thanks! I shared the "game" with another co-worker, and some of the ones he came up with were:

Mitsubishi Cheerwine
Toyota Tabb
Panasonic Powerade
Sega Postum

On the culinary school chat tip, I was about to try out for this program just before I got my dish job. I think it's pretty cool: unemployed, disadvantaged people get a trade skill for free, they provide food for hungry kids, and then a 90% job placement? Plus the bosses that hire these folks aren't getting rich white kids with pie-in-the-sky "I'm going to be the next Top Chef!" dreams, but probably hard working, committed people. It seems pretty win-win-win. Do other cities have these programs?

http://www.hrfoodbank.org/culinary/

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 19, 2015

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

How fast did the axe drop on that one?

It didn't. Coworkers complained under their breath and didn't take it to the GM because literally nothing would happen. It's barely an exaggeration to say that anything that will get someone fired in this store would probably warrant legal charges as well. In fact, those are the only things taken seriously.

Today was just cold enough to remind me that in only a few months, I'll be asked to come in on my day off and spend three hours outside in sub-freezing temperatures draining grease into five-gallon buckets. I'll be asked to do this off of the clock to avoid overtime, for a cash value that equals my pre-tax hourly (non-OT) rate. When I refuse, feelings will be deeply hurt and there will be a level of confusion not seen since the time I refused to serve reheated turkey that had a flakiness comparable to an exceptionally bad case of dandruff.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 20, 2015

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

HEY NOW.

(That's why we sell tickets months in advance now. gently caress waiting in line.)

Hahaha, you're that place? I don't even try to play the SF restaurant game any more. I have a couple places that I like and that usually have a seat or two open for walk-ins and just go to those spots. I'm on your e-mail list but I'm sure there's competition even to get dinner tickets.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

JacquelineDempsey posted:

mindphlux got the first name right, so every time I had to interact with her sourpuss today, I'd just mumble "SONY INSTANT BREAKFAST" to the dishes, snicker, and immediately cheer up. Thanks!

oh come on, you gotta give us the last name now... did anyone get it?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'm really pulling for Sony Pabst but we all know PBR is more than moderately popular. At least in areas where the average education time can be expressed in years with a single digit.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Vorenus posted:

I'm really pulling for Sony Pabst but we all know PBR is more than moderately popular. At least in areas where the average education time can be expressed in years with a single digit.

I drink pabst sometimes, it's ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hospital I work at has black cook pants for us, and they're so stiff and uncomfortable. I just keep wearing my army surplus cargo pants. So much more comfortable, and durable as hell. I should replace the pair with bleach spots from decking though.

Naelyan posted:

If you're talking about checks, you're so loving wrong it hurts.

I've made it a requirement for hiring me that I will not wear checks. gently caress those things.

They aren't checks because I would never wear checks because they're ugly as sin. Mine are the baggy chef's pants in pinstripe by Chef Designs and it's like wearing pajama pants with how they breathe and they feel durable but very comfortable. Also I get the ego boost of being able to wear clothes that are size L in anything.

• Locked thread