Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

1 wolf vs. 3 police german shepherds

If the wolf was black those dogs would take it down but if it was white fang they would let him off with a warning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
black bear vs chimpanzee

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Amarcarts posted:

If the wolf was black those dogs would take it down but if it was white fang they would let him off with a warning.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Please note that grizzly bears and gorillas have reputations for ferocity, but these are probably exaggerated. This is especially true for gorillas, which are far more peaceful than the ‘King Kong' image suggests. In fact, chimpanzees are far more dangerous and will kill each other, as well as hunting in groups and tearing monkeys and antelopes apart.

Gorillas live in Africa, while grizzly bears live in North America, so there is no likelihood of them coming into contact with one another in the wild, unless one of them were introduced into the habitat of the other.

They also live in different habitats. Most gorillas inhabit lowland tropical rainforest, but some live in bamboo forest and montane rainforest. The grizzly bear prefers open habitats, such as tundra, alpine meadows and coastlines. This means that a gorilla would not adapt well to the bear's habitat and the bear would not adapt well to the gorilla's habitat.

I think that if they ever came into contact, they would avoid one another. Grizzly bears rarely attack people and prefer to avoid confrontation. A male gorilla will go through various threat displays and will avoid fighting if he can. If anything, I think the gorilla would back down if the bear did not move away and I can't really imagine a bear being put off by a gorilla chest-beating or hooting. A gorilla will usually only attack if an aggressor runs away. It will back down if the aggressor stays where it is. I can't really see the grizzly turning tail.

I think a fight would be very unlikely, but if they were to fight, I believe that the bear holds most of the trump cards. If the gorilla and grizzly are the same size, it would involve a full-grown male gorilla fighting a rather small grizzly bear. This will benefit the gorilla more than if there were two full-grown animals fighting, as the bear would be heavier.

The gorilla is mainly vegetarian and rarely feeds on animal matter, whereas a grizzly can kill a moose with one swipe of its paw. The bear has the advantage here.

The gorilla's ferocity is a bluff to deter potential adversaries. The bear is being genuinely ferocious and has the advantage here, as it is less likely to back down.

Both have powerful canine teeth and use these mainly in threat displays. The bear is more likely to use the canines to bite and kill prey, while gorillas are practically herbivorous. The bear has the advantage here.

Both have powerful upper limbs, but the bear has long claws, whereas the gorilla has nails. Once again, the bear has the advantage to the bear.

The gorilla is more intelligent than the bear, but the gorilla has more facial expressions. Bear keepers say that it is very difficult to read a bear's mind, because of the lack of facial expression. I don't think the gorilla would be able to either, so I don't think the gorilla's intelligence would be much of an advantage here.

Perhaps the only advantage to a gorilla and bear in a one-on-one situation is habitat. The bear would have the advantage in a clearing, but the gorilla would have the advantage if it ran into a rainforest or montane forest and the bear followed. I can't really imagine a bear chasing a gorilla into a forest or other gorillas fighting the bear – I presume you want a one-on-one fight. Chimpanzees can band together to kill leopards, but I haven't heard cases of gorillas doing so.

But, as I stated earlier, I don't think a fight would be likely, especially as one of the animals would be rather disorientated in a strange habitat. It is also unusual for individuals of different species to fight one another. The nearest is when a predator is attacking a prey animal. As bears do not prey on gorillas, this is not a natural phenomenon.

I hope the above scenario does not occur. I don't like the idea of people gaining enjoyment by watching animals fight one another. I hope that your argument is more of a speculative nature, rather than a desire to see animals fighting to the death. Gorillas are becoming increasingly threatened by deforestation and hunting for bush meat and trophies, while various types of grizzly bear are also threatened. The Mexican grizzly bear is extinct, while other varieties have been classified as threatened under the US Endangered Species Act. Having grizzly bears and gorillas fighting one another is not a good idea.

THE GRIZZLY BEAR WILL PROBABLY WIN MOST OF THE TIMES. Yeah, the bear would win; they have been known to kill bulls with one hit of its paw!

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Hobohemian posted:

Yeah, this logic is pretty air tight. I'm on team gorilla.

RaceBannon
Apr 3, 2010
montane forests?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Beware of bears.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

mods vs bears

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable posted:

mods vs bears

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

bears are an order of magnitude stronger than gorillas

thanks earthshaker

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZHi3gcGoOk
ook ook hahaha what a joker that guy is

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

If the bear gets pissed the illa in trouble.

puke pentagram
Jun 12, 2015

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Wow. Some of you people think a gorilla could kick a bears rear end? Just loving lol how stupid can you be.

Bears are basically invincible and gorillas have those little bitch legs LOL

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

extra stout posted:

hard to tell the gender of those in the picture given the state of the modern man

how far we have fallen since we had cool rear end loving teeth and huge muscles and fur and poo poo

All the big primates have fangs. They are personal weapons, like a switchblade to a modern man. Not for eating meat with serrated edges, but round in profile to stab- basically for settling personal differences.

And we still got our fangs.
Feel up around your eye teeth and feel how far up the root canals go, almost up to your nostrils.
Evolution has retracted the exposed part because tooth decay is a killer, but the foundations for those big tapered cylindrical teeth still exist in the upper mandible.
e:

Re bear vs. gorilla:
I'd bet on the bear, because bears have LARGE claws and are skilled at the left-right double-slap brain rattling move, whereas although gorillas are very strong, they only got flat grooming nails.
It might come down to who gets in the first blow.
If the gorilla got the bear in a close clinch, inside his strike radius, he might just crush the bear's rib-cage.
poo poo let's get one of each and find out. Think of the cable rights, man.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 19, 2015

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hippo vs Elephant vs Gorilla vs Polar Bear vs Tiger vs Rhino

Any other alpha animals to throw in there? Mix'em up and do a free for all.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

zimboe posted:

All the big primates have fangs. They are personal weapons, like a switchblade to a modern man. Not for eating meat with serrated edges, but round in profile to stab- basically for settling personal differences.

And we still got our fangs.
Feel up around your eye teeth and feel how far up the root canals go, almost up to your nostrils.
Evolution has retracted the exposed part because tooth decay is a killer, but the foundations for those big tapered cylindrical teeth still exist in the upper mandible.

so ur a dentist who likes to kill things huh?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Grizzly bear on open terrain, Gorilla if there's any kind of elevation.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Vegetable posted:

epic

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Vegetable posted:

I remember seeing some nature show where an angry adolescent male elephant was going around kicking rhinos to death. So that one's already settled.

Ah, here's some nature brutality:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2765034/Battle-giants-Testosterone-fuelled-elephant-fights-black-rhino-protects-calf.html

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 19, 2015

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Vegetable posted:

a big blue whale, thrashing away

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

TwoFire posted:

so ur a dentist who likes to kill things huh?

I don't want to hurt any of the poor critter persons. I'd as soon make pampered pets of 'em all.
Leave 'em be to go about their critter business, I says.
Leave 'em alone. Leave 'em be.
My Dad told me when he gave me my first rifle- "You kill it, You eat it."

This trophy hunting business is evil and wrong.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 19, 2015

naem
May 29, 2011

Retracted

naem fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 19, 2015

Pecked To Death
Jun 27, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
How do blue whales even fight, ramming?

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

ROFLburger posted:

Wow. Some of you people think a gorilla could kick a bears rear end? Just loving lol how stupid can you be.

Bears are basically invincible and gorillas have those little bitch legs LOL

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Moist Missle posted:

How do blue whales even fight, ramming?

thrashing, bashing, mashing and possibly crashing.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

I'm literally retarded

naem posted:

One question never asked is "why would they fight"

Animals aren't motivated to battle to the deaths really, they make threat displays and squabble over resources sure

I think the bear would stand on its hind legs and the gorilla would beat it's chest, they might rush at each other, I don't see a boxing match happening though you know? In the wild they'd just avoid each other

Well put, Sir.
The gorilla would be curious, the bear wary.
They might become buddies, who knows.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

zimboe posted:

Well put, Sir.
The gorilla would be curious, the bear wary.
They might become buddies, who knows.

This sounds like an 80s sitcom that just needs to be made.

naem
May 29, 2011

Grizzlies coexisted with wooly mammoths and saber tooth tigers and other scary ice age animals, their aggressive behavior was an adaptation to deal with threats on that level while gorillas are our hairy vegan weightlifter pals

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

naem posted:

Grizzlies coexisted with wooly mammoths and saber tooth tigers and other scary ice age animals, their aggressive behavior was an adaptation to deal with threats on that level with gorillas are our hairy vegan weightlifter pals

Go visit Yellowstone. Not a day goes by that some idiot tries to pet an elk or put their kid on a bison. If you are really lucky, you'll get there before the ranger stops it. :dance:

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

i could probably beat 98% of gbs at quake tho

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

any challengers wanna duel????????

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

lmao, didnt think so

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

ROFLburger posted:

i could probably beat 98% of gbs at quake tho

are you that dude who makes his own quake levels and got banned for being a sperg back in like '01 because he was kind of kick-rear end

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

ROFLburger posted:

any challengers wanna duel????????

WAIT LET ME GO FIND A MODEM!!

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

no, that wasnt me. if it was i would be the best quake player probably

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Well there's that whole dogfighting monkey that could take on dogs double it's weight:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacco_Macacco

I think if the gorilla tried to outmaneuver the bear and latched onto it's back or something it'd have a chance but the odds do seem more generally in the bears favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

proof of concept posted:

thrashing, bashing, mashing and possibly crashing.

• Locked thread