Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Left Ventricle posted:

And it sounds like rear end.

I was going to say it has the exhaust note equivalent of the noise a teenager makes when they're told to clean their room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

14 INCH SLIT posted:

I actually told my friend who was harassing me about doing an engine swap as soon as possible that I'd make sure it was a loving duke just to piss them off. If it runs good, then I can start doing things to the Civic without worrying about getting to work.

Just kidding. Like I'd ever post about that :rolleyes:

But actuslly the serious reason I started this reply, if I'm swarping in a later 6cyl, why not just loving go for a junkyard V8? Unless it's difficult fitting a small block chevy into a car that didn't come off the line with one :v:

3rd gen camaro's came with the ever famous 350 SBC. You could throw a rock and hit one of those, swap that in.

MrChips posted:

I was going to say it has the exhaust note equivalent of the noise a teenager makes when they're told to clean their room.

I've never heard an engine go "BUT MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!"

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Unless it's difficult fitting a small block chevy into a car that didn't come off the line with one :v:

It's a nastier swap than you'd think. I wouldn't do another one.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

14 INCH SLIT posted:

But actuslly the serious reason I started this reply, if I'm swarping in a later 6cyl, why not just loving go for a junkyard V8? Unless it's difficult fitting a small block chevy into a car that didn't come off the line with one :v:
Rotary :kheldragar:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

this but unironically yes

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tommychu posted:

It's a nastier swap than you'd think. I wouldn't do another one.

In all seriousness just for the sake of discussion, considering the vehicle is smog exempt and I happened to find a carbureted 350, and I've got a spot to do it on, what sort of nasty areas? Like I'm assuming different motor mounts, but is the entire subframe perhaps different? I know there's raw power and economy advantages to doing a full EFI swap, hands down, I'm talking lowest common demoninator what issues did you run into?

I did hear specifically from someone that swapping EFI, the easiest option is obviously finding specifically the same car but the V8 in the same year, like for some reason the gods decided that just this one time they'd favor you with a rear end collision total out part out that hasn't gotten anything stolen from it.

Now granted, this is realistically an incredible pipe dream for now and honestly I just care about the T Tops, but figured I'd ask since you said nastier than expected which was surprising to me since I sarcastically said what I did because it seems there's a kit to swap a chevy engine into every single car made ready to go off the shelf.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

MrChips posted:

I'd rather listen to the tractory blap of a 60 degree GM V6 than the adenoidal whine of the Nissan 3.5/3.7 :colbert:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

14 INCH SLIT posted:

In all seriousness just for the sake of discussion, considering the vehicle is smog exempt and I happened to find a carbureted 350, and I've got a spot to do it on, what sort of nasty areas? Like I'm assuming different motor mounts, but is the entire subframe perhaps different? I know there's raw power and economy advantages to doing a full EFI swap, hands down, I'm talking lowest common demoninator what issues did you run into?

I did hear specifically from someone that swapping EFI, the easiest option is obviously finding specifically the same car but the V8 in the same year, like for some reason the gods decided that just this one time they'd favor you with a rear end collision total out part out that hasn't gotten anything stolen from it.

Now granted, this is realistically an incredible pipe dream for now and honestly I just care about the T Tops, but figured I'd ask since you said nastier than expected which was surprising to me since I sarcastically said what I did because it seems there's a kit to swap a chevy engine into every single car made ready to go off the shelf.

Leave the motor as it is, paint the Camaro black, and put some bitchin' flames up the side of it.

Bonus points for chrome Cragars on it.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

3rd gen camaro's came with the ever famous 350 SBC. You could throw a rock and hit one of those, swap that in.

Not sure if this car is auto or 5-speed, but 350 was automatic only, because the :siren:WORLD CLASS-T5:siren: couldn't handle the pavement-wrinkling torque of an '80s 350. Also, the 350 cars develop a crack in the metal right at the upper corners of the door windows because the wet noodly chassis flexes and twists like a motherfucker unless you add subframe connectors to it. This may not be an issue with the T-Top cars - they just leak instead.

That said, mine has a 383 and weld-in SFCs :agesilaus:

e: if a swap is really in the cards, donors are cheap enough that your best bet is to find a junk V8 car you can pull all of the bits you need from. Engine, trans, driveshaft, differential, electronics (depending on year), etc. I've never looked into it myself, but I feel like there'd be a lot of poo poo to track down independently without a donor car to just yank everything off of.

Black88GTA fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 19, 2015

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

\
"Take this camaro, but beware, it's behind two disable cars...covered in spiders."

\
"Ooh, that's bad."

\
"But the title is legit!"

\
"That's good."

\
"The title is also covered in spiders."

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Attempt to put a Chrysler 2.7L into it because it's the suffering you want and the suffering you deserve

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'm pretty sure that if you pull a four or six cylinder engine from a Camaro, and don't replace it with a small block of some flavor, the very fabric of space-time might be damaged.

Comedy option: LG4

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MrYenko posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you pull a four or six cylinder engine from a Camaro, and don't replace it with a small block of some flavor, the very fabric of space-time might be damaged.

Comedy option: LG4

The comedy option is a biturbo motor.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I've always wanted to do a rotary f-body. If you don't I'm happy to be the first. (That I know of)

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

14 INCH SLIT posted:

It's loving bizarre, but one of the toughest SBC swaps is into a car that had the SBC as a factory option.
I did this swap in... 2007? So it's not exactly fresh in my mind. FI 2.8 to Gbody carb SBC, slushboxes all around. From what I recall:
That torque arm thing that ties the diff to the transmission is the main issue. The transmission is a primary rear end locating member on these stupid cars (because sweet burnouts).
You need the transmission out of a V8 F-car, because the existing transmission has the FWD bell pattern but you still need somewhere for the big stupid arm to bolt up. You can swap the tailshaft/slip yoke housing onto a non-F transmission under some circumstances, but poo poo gets weird elsewhere if you do.
Motor mount clamshells will bolt right up, the bosses are pre-drilled on the subframe for all 3 engines. But the engine side of the mount is F-specific, and if you try to use anything else the engine sits about 2.5" too high meaning the big stupid arm won't bolt up and your trans dipstick has nowhere to exist. Latter doesn't apply to manuals but the former is still a pretty big deal.
FI-Carb means you have to pull the sender and gently caress around. No access hole, and the lines run very close to the body on these so making one is extremely risky. But the fuel tank sits on top of the rear axle, so you get to drop that completely (and all those arms are usually bolt-snappin' seized) and then getting it back in again is an exercise in gently caress JUST KILL ME NOW.
I had to run all new fuel line, the mechanical fuel pump needs a bigger line since it sucks across the length of the car rather than pushing from the tank side as in an efi car.
And just hundreds of frustrating little things that took between hours and weeks to hunt down. And cost-wise, well let's just say that had I started with a V8 car and spent the same amount of money (even factoring in that my v6 camaro was also free, and a v8 car wouldn't have been free) it would have been a low 13 second car.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 19, 2015

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, so from the sound of it if I managed to find the V8 engine as well as transmission, it should be mostly straightforward and the issues are if you simply try to make do with a different trans?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Okay, so from the sound of it if I managed to find the V8 engine as well as transmission, it should be mostly straightforward and the issues are if you simply try to make do with a different trans?

More or less. If you found an SBC thirdgen at the junkyard and tore all the necessary poo poo off it (trans, motor mounts, accessory brackets, possibly driveshaft and shifter if the trans you get isn't the same series as what's in the car, fuel sender/lines from a carb car, radiator and radiator brackets, trans cooler lines, manifolds, y-pipe, gauge cluster, etc) it wouldn't be an entirely bad time. Finding a cheap/decent one that came with a v8 would still be cheaper than the swap though.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 19, 2015

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I really like the hopped up 3.4 option since it seems you have to gently caress with less systems to do that? Motor in motor out?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Hell, leave the 2.8 in there and get a couple of Mitsu TE04H's off Dodge Turbovans, make some pipe fitting log manifolds, rig up a 12:1 FMU and there you go. Two turbos on a V6, in an '80s RWD coupe. It's not a blow-through carb setup but it's still pretty close to a Biturbo.
I've even got a TE04 I could send you so you really only need one more.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Aug 19, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I assume a 4.3 swap has most of the same bellhousing problems as any of the SBC V8s, but it would be really cool to get that nasty lump under the hood with a 3800 SII blower on top of it.

Last night I suggested 14 just go whole hog and slap an Oldsmobile Diesel into it.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I dunno, I think an HT4100 would be great. There are plenty of donors in the san jose yards I visited a few weeks ago...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I assume a 4.3 swap has most of the same bellhousing problems as any of the SBC V8s, but it would be really cool to get that nasty lump under the hood with a 3800 SII blower on top of it.

Last night I suggested 14 just go whole hog and slap an Oldsmobile Diesel into it.

Or an 8-6-4

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Honestly, anything with a 6-71 will do...

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Honestly, anything with a 6-71 will do...

An actual 4-53 engine would fit if you cut a hole in the hood... :unsmigghh:

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
honestly if that were mine i'd just chuck an l67 in it, bolts right up and makes more power than the 305

eberbs
Aug 29, 2011

And I wonder, I still wonder, who'll stop the rain.
gently caress I hate the 2.8, I had an 85 firebird a few years back and could never get the drat thing to run right, think I made a thread about it here too. Was going to swap in a sbc but got poor and sold it for $300. I loving miss that car. Had the rear luvers too. When the opportunity arises to buy another one I'm gonna mad max the gently caress out of it.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Tommychu posted:

More or less. If you found an SBC thirdgen at the junkyard and tore all the necessary poo poo off it (trans, motor mounts, accessory brackets, possibly driveshaft and shifter if the trans you get isn't the same series as what's in the car, fuel sender/lines from a carb car, radiator and radiator brackets, trans cooler lines, manifolds, y-pipe, gauge cluster, etc) it wouldn't be an entirely bad time. Finding a cheap/decent one that came with a v8 would still be cheaper than the swap though.
Camaro of Theseus

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I don't think a 2.8 V6 3rd gen F-Body has ever given this many people blueballs at once. Is this what it's like going to that strip club your friend's Grandma works at?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

get a surplus huey engine and bolt it to a powerglide

i mean it might stick out the nose by like 6 feet but yknow. sacrifices.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tommychu posted:

Hell, leave the 2.8 in there and get a couple of Mitsu TE04H's off Dodge Turbovans, make some pipe fitting log manifolds, rig up a 12:1 FMU and there you go. Two turbos on a V6, in an '80s RWD coupe. It's not a blow-through carb setup but it's still pretty close to a Biturbo.

This is the answer

Soodonim
Jul 3, 2007

woooosh!

You Am I posted:

This is the answer

So say we all!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Tommychu posted:

For the record this is like me saying I'm in the mood for Friday the 13th and you suggest we compromise with Ernest Goes To Camp

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

14 INCH SLIT posted:

For the record this is like me saying I'm in the mood for Friday the 13th and you suggest we compromise with Ernest Goes To Camp

Twin turbo V6 third gen with T-tops doesn't sound like compromise to me. If it helps, it will probably break about as often as a good Biturbo, which is to say it will never move again.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

bandman posted:

Twin turbo V6 third gen with T-tops doesn't sound like compromise to me. If it helps, it will probably break about as often as a good Biturbo, which is to say it will never move again.

First off, off the shelf parts availability. Second off, the Gotta Have It factor.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I vote 350. It would be about the most *normal* car project 14" has ever undertaken - it's an engine that that chassis rolled out of the factory carrying in at least some cases - but will still provide abundant pain spiders for our vicarious thrills.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExecuDork posted:

I vote 350. It would be about the most *normal* car project 14" has ever undertaken - it's an engine that that chassis rolled out of the factory carrying in at least some cases - but will still provide abundant pain spiders for our vicarious thrills.

He could at least do something interesting and try to adapt an AMC or BPO drivetrain or something. But isn't the point of this car to have an alternate way to get to work?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This must be the first Camaro ever powered by an air-cooled VW engine. Then we will have come full-circle.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I vote for a crowdfunded motor because I'll bet that AI has at least 10 SBCs in the collective goon parts hoard. The entertainment provided by this thread has to be worth something.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TWSS posted:

I vote for a crowdfunded motor because I'll bet that AI has at least 10 SBCs in the collective goon parts hoard. The entertainment provided by this thread has to be worth something.

I do have a 327 in storage that is a total POS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I've got a 1275cc engine and 4spd transmission from a Midget...

• Locked thread