Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
Lol if you play the car and don't make vroom noises and skids around corners, just lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Shirley Crabtree posted:

the biggest lol is anyone who plays as the loving thimble you just know theyre gonna be a cautious cathy and easy pickings

I was the dude on a horse but those fuckers retired it :saddowns: How the gently caress did they keep such beloved and always-chosen pieces such as an iron and a thimble but retired the horseman who looked like he was ready to charge into battle or something

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Most competitive American board games are about elimination and are boring and suck. Most EU style games are well thought out and have an event that triggers the game and some way to tell who won, or came in which place.

Monopoly is trash. Go play something more fun instead like Pandemic, or Flash Point, or 7 Wonders.

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax
saw 'jastiger' and 'iowa' didnt read and voted one

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
play Powergrid instead of Monopoly is you want an actually good game, with a similar auction mechanic
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2651/power-grid

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Monopoly is a great game if you treat it as an exercise in seeing who is the best at cheating at board games. It's best played with three cheaters competing against each other, and one idiot sap who thinks monopoly is a good game and doesn't cheat.

Also the cannon is the most powerful piece

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO

My parents bought this once when in Germany and I played it as a kid. Far more intetesting than monopoly and the games were short

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

burritolingus posted:

Monopoly is great. People just play it wrong and don't know about the auction rule (where, if you pass on purchasing a property, it goes up for auction).

This is actually correct and I try to play this way, but it just devolves into a poo poo fest.
*lands on Boardwalk*
"I bid $1 for Boardwalk"
Cha-Ching

So now everything is super cheap, but the cost of rent is the same so it just prolongs the suffering.

Always pick the car though. What kind of bitch mode beta wants to be a thimble?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
no one landing on boardwalk would let it go to auction :colbert:

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Are you playing with morons who don't understand how an auction works? I guess you must be if you're a car player

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

burritolingus posted:

Monopoly is great. People just play it wrong and don't know about the auction rule (where, if you pass on purchasing a property, it goes up for auction).

wtf is this bull poo poo

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Germstore posted:

no one landing on boardwalk would let it go to auction :colbert:

Why wouldn't you? If you can get the most valuable property for less than the sticker price, then you should do it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

No. 6 posted:

Most competitive American board games are about elimination and are boring and suck. Most EU style games are well thought out and have an event that triggers the game and some way to tell who won, or came in which place.

Monopoly is trash. Go play something more fun instead like Pandemic, or Flash Point, or 7 Wonders.

wow goddamn we got someone really committed to the european project here

EU style and not european style goddamn

also let's be real when people say "european" they're basically meaning "german", it's not like france or italy or poland are putting out these board games

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Jastiger posted:

Why wouldn't you? If you can get the most valuable property for less than the sticker price, then you should do it.

if the other people you're playing with are at all competent you're not going to regularly get discounts on stuff by letting it go to auction, especially if there's others of the same color that have been bought already

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also pandemic's a great game if you're the kind of person who enjoys endlessly discussing how to split the check at a restaurant where like two people actually brought cash and the other two brought cards and oh but we don't want to make too much work for the server by splitting it all four ways and holy poo poo gently caress off why does this have to be so loving complicated

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Jastiger posted:

Well obviously if you're opening it up for auction everybody else is going to want it as well, you may end up paying more than the asking price.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Because the auction is open to all players, so you might not even get the property, or you only get it for more than sticker.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WTF IS THIS BULL poo poo

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Aralan posted:

Monopoly is a great game if you treat it as an exercise in seeing who is the best at cheating at board games. It's best played with three cheaters competing against each other, and one idiot sap who thinks monopoly is a good game and doesn't cheat.

Also the cannon is the most powerful piece

I've played that way before, and the "idiot sap" dragged the game down because he was checking the instructions every 5 minutes to see if something or other was "allowed" by the "rules"

it's like, motherfucker this is monopoly, the only rule is there is no rules

And the dog is the best because you can stand him up on his front legs and make it look like he's pissing on everything

Jastiger posted:

This is actually correct and I try to play this way, but it just devolves into a poo poo fest.
*lands on Boardwalk*
"I bid $1 for Boardwalk"
Cha-Ching

Why would anyone else playing let Boardwalk go for a dollar

...you play Monopoly alone, don't you

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 19, 2015

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The best monopoly rule is anytime you have to give money to the bank, you instead put it in the middle and if you land on free parking you get all the monies in the middle. It's like a lottery every time around the board!

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also pandemic's a great game if you're the kind of person who enjoys endlessly discussing how to split the check at a restaurant where like two people actually brought cash and the other two brought cards and oh but we don't want to make too much work for the server by splitting it all four ways and holy poo poo gently caress off why does this have to be so loving complicated

Pandemic is really good if you'd like to play a game wherein you get to make a planned out series of decisions in a race against time to extinguish the virus, while the other players watch, and maybe move some of the pieces for you at your direction

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

burritolingus posted:

people bring that poo poo up but it does not affect the best strategy which is to buy everything you can and trade for the poo poo you need later. the only time you should be letting things go to auction is when you dont have any money and by that point you are already hosed

the only way to make the game more interesting is allowing development on properties even if you dont own the set, this way theres a real tradeoff between going wide and tall. its still loving boring as poo poo thouhg

babypolis fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 19, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The best monopoly rule is anytime you have to give money to the bank, you instead put it in the middle and if you land on free parking you get all the monies in the middle. It's like a lottery every time around the board!

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Those 'free parking' idiots are the worst.

Excelzior posted:

lol at the bitchmade idiots with their loving Free Parking jackpot house rule that just prolongs the suffering

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Those guys are wrong as gently caress though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

pandemic should only be played by a single person, it's a terrible group exercise

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012
also please can people stop saying things like 'when you land on boardwalk' because its mayfair thats the highest value, when you land on mayfair, please bone up on the correct place names

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Shirley Crabtree posted:

also please can people stop saying things like 'when you land on boardwalk' because its mayfair thats the highest value, when you land on mayfair, please bone up on the correct place names

fuuuuck london and fuuuuck you too

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
Monopoly is fun when you're cheating outrageously. But its still too drat long.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Buy 4 houses on all your properties, never upgrade to hotels. Once all the houses are used up, people get mad and whine and the game likely ends soon...

Construction Monopoly: Yous got a problem with that?

Pandemic is fun if you treat it kind of like Space Alert and use a very short timer for every person's turn. Panic! Shouting! Enevitable violence over the few remaining pizza slices! A realistic simulation.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Lol if you play the car and don't make vroom noises and skids around corners, just lol

This, also you should just play Catan instead. It's actually kinda fun and doesn't take 3 years to play.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
we play monopoly with american accurate rules, such as the most attractive player gets four times the starting money and can reroll dice any time they want, while any brown minority player only gets half the money and any dice roll sends them directly to jail

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Shirley Crabtree posted:

i'm sorry but this is the only acceptable Monopoly to play:

Shirley Crabtree
Aug 8, 2012

Rutibex posted:

what the gently caress is this why are there three fvcuking boards in one i dont understand what how do you know whats going on please play normal loving monopoly

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Rutibex posted:

I would absolutely kill myself if I was coaxed into playing monopoly, and then this was the board that got brought out

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
Look at all these scrubs who think Boardwalk is the best property. If you put money in the middle for Free Parking or don't play with the speed die you should just loving kill yourself.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Well DUH other players auction it up, but it makes no sense to NEVER auction if you have the cash in most cases, especially if you know how much cash they have. If you auction it you at least have a chance to get it lower than sticker price, especially if you already have a cash advantage.

Its still dumb as hell though because it just makes the game take longer. Why couldn't something like Risk become as popular as Monopoly. Both are lovely but at least Risk doesn't have all the stupid revisionist cultural bullshit.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Red and oranges Yo!

I also like the purps, because hotels is just five hundy. Gimme dat go money biatch!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Monopoly is loving boring because you just buy everything you land on until you run out of money, and then hope the dice rolls go in your favour. There's no skill or strategy involved whatsoever.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Monopoly was fun until i realized grandma was cheating and making me do chores everytime i lost

:owned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
I grew up on the free parking jackpot rule and no auctioning. I also once played with someone who claimed you earned $500 if you rolled snake eyes. I like Scrabble.

Edit: Also yeah, it really shouldn't be that relevant whether you auction or not because it's correct to buy everything you land on.

• Locked thread