Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

This excerpt makes me really annoyed. I don't think it's particularly scummy because you being obnoxious is a null tell but it's just annoying to read.

Well sorry you feel that way. I wanted to see if he was as dangerous as everyone talked him up to be. My teammates wanted to nk him more than once but I argued that it was more fun to keep him alive as scum. I think I did tell them my plan, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Another way of saying that is "Don't rely on meta because it can easily be weaponized against town." Lumpen could probably recall an anecdote about that.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

Another way of saying that is "Don't rely on meta because it can easily be weaponized against town." Lumpen could probably recall an anecdote about that.

I agree with this. I would also add never to rely on someone else's meta read if you don't have one, especially when it is someone talking about themselves.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I do tend to agree with that but it can be annoying when someone uses something well within someone's meta (ie: something they have dealt with countless times before, most likely) against them because other people don't know it. That's why if someone else talks about their own meta and asks for someone else to confirm or deny, I tend to accept that request.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

BottleKnight posted:

So you interpret having multiple opinions as keeping your options open? Is the only way to not be scummy to just have one opinion and not change it?
Writing a bunch of words saying that a player could be Town, and could be Scum, in the same post, is hedging. Scum have an incentive to avoid leaving a record of strong alignment reads, because they need to be able to plausibly jump on bandwagons without having inconvenient contradictions to explain. Diqnol's post was a wishywashy hedge on my alignment to allow him to vote whichever way the wind blows.

I think its really interesting to have you coming in to defend Diqnol, while you also have him on your list of people you'd supposedly vote. It doesnt seem kike you would really vote him, have you posted critically of him at any point before dropping him in your list of 3?

Also funny that you suddenly put me way up on your list, but not until after "remembering" that you totally have that ~stromg suspicion~ (weird to "forget" since you were actively addressing me right then). It doesn't seem like that opinion is sincerely held. Is it supported by any of your previous posts?

Tldr; Guys, I suspect that Diqnol and BottleKnight are Scumbuddies.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

I do tend to agree with that but it can be annoying when someone uses something well within someone's meta (ie: something they have dealt with countless times before, most likely) against them because other people don't know it. That's why if someone else talks about their own meta and asks for someone else to confirm or deny, I tend to accept that request.

My meta of being very handsome means I am not scum.

Diqnol can confirm.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lumpen posted:

Writing a bunch of words saying that a player could be Town, and could be Scum, in the same post, is hedging. Scum have an incentive to avoid leaving a record of strong alignment reads, because they need to be able to plausibly jump on bandwagons without having inconvenient contradictions to explain. Diqnol's post was a wishywashy hedge on my alignment to allow him to vote whichever way the wind blows.

I think its really interesting to have you coming in to defend Diqnol, while you also have him on your list of people you'd supposedly vote. It doesnt seem kike you would really vote him, have you posted critically of him at any point before dropping him in your list of 3?

Also funny that you suddenly put me way up on your list, but not until after "remembering" that you totally have that ~stromg suspicion~ (weird to "forget" since you were actively addressing me right then). It doesn't seem like that opinion is sincerely held. Is it supported by any of your previous posts?

Tldr; Guys, I suspect that Diqnol and BottleKnight are Scumbuddies.

I think it's fair to say that many people contradict themselves in a game of mafia as it goes on and that as a general rule of thumb when they do it tells you absolutely nothing. On the other hand, people who are overly concerned with being consistent are more likely to be scum. Now Lumpen, you're aware of how I post. Do you expect me to worry about being consistent?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

My meta of being very handsome means I am not scum.

Diqnol can confirm.

I can confirm that Keane is very handsome if the whole ethereal thing doesn't throw you and you like a big booty.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Lumpen posted:

Yes. And I already did vote him.

BottleKnight posted:

This is a lovely post. Seems desperate. Scummy gaslighting.

This is a worse post. The second merk calls you out you say you are no longer interested because it's the least fun part of mafia? You got yourself into this.

##vote diqnol

Also I'm not concerned with defending diqnol. I'm focusing on you. I think you are fabricating opinions and I find it scummy.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Keane and I had an Out Of Game Interaction about a game we were both in and he was so pretty it blinded me to the fact he was scum.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

I can confirm that Keane is very handsome if the whole ethereal thing doesn't throw you and you like a big booty.

I like big butts and I can not lie,
You other brothers can't deny,
When a goon walks in with an itty bitty waist,
And a round thing in your face,
You get sprung...

Keane got back!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

BottleKnight posted:

I'm not backing merk. Diqnol was being scummy and merk wasn't. Casing me isn't scummy.

Ok, you defended merk as not being scummy, just casing, and called out Diqnol. I agree with you, just remarked it was interesting. It stood out in my first read. As for "backing", it was perhaps a poor word choice.

I'm still not through a second, deeper read of everything that's happened, we had a minor emergency around the house (at least, I don't think toilets are supposed to leak water out of the tank onto the ground constantly) and I wasn't able to finish before work. Here's a list of the people I've been looking at the closest as I do my read;

Jedit, Diqnol, Kash, Rarity, QPQ, ljtrigirl

I'll try and respond to current events a little at work, then finish my reread when I get home.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

TMMadman posted:

You make a huge case against merk and then immediately turn around and say you would vote for someone else in the very next post while saying that person is hedging. There is some next level poo poo right there. It gets even worse when he says this a few posts later:

This point is ridiculous. It's not hedging to think more than one person is scum. Hedging are the types of comments where people go "well I see the case for him as scum but also he could be town".

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

fiery_valkyrie posted:

This point is ridiculous. It's not hedging to think more than one person is scum. Hedging are the types of comments where people go "well I see the case for him as scum but also he could be town".

But that makes my point even more relevant because he was accusing Samfu of hedging in a post where Samfu wasn't actually hedging. In the post, Samfu stated his reason for originally voting for Diqnol (in response to merk asking a question) and then goes on to say that he currently finds Rarity to be more scummy so he's moving his vote. He even states that he doesn't find diqnol to be any less scummy, he just finds Rarity scummier. So where's the hedge in Samfu's post? He wasn't saying that either person could be scum or town, he is saying he finds both people scummy. As far as I can see, Samfu is basically doing the same thing as Diqnol: both of them are finding multiple people scummy. So why does Diqnol get to call it out, but doesn't get to get called on doing the same thing?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I already explained that. Nobody wants to reexplain it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Lumpen posted:

Oh, and in finding my diqnol vote earlier I forgot to respond to this.

I said I would vote you here:

BottleKnight posted:

When you package it like this, it makes a lot more sense. Would vote.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Consistent people are more likely to be scum? :allears:

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Gamerofthegame posted:

##unvote

That's good enough, TMM. Alright, let's do some readin' and needlin'.

Gamer, what do you mean by this? Are you just happy that TMM did what you wanted and posted some stuff? In which case, I would consider your vote on him posturing rather than serious scum hunting.

Or, did you really think he was scum before and are now convinced that he is town? If so, why the change in opinion? What convinced you?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

merk, i remember you once said that you would not stop voting me until you died and I can't remember if you were town or scum that game. Do you remember? Don't lie, please.

I know merk answered this, but I can confirm that I've seen him do it as both town and scum.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Gamer, what do you mean by this? Are you just happy that TMM did what you wanted and posted some stuff? In which case, I would consider your vote on him posturing rather than serious scum hunting.

Or, did you really think he was scum before and are now convinced that he is town? If so, why the change in opinion? What convinced you?

I put a vote on him to pressure him into actually playing the game and providing reads on people, as opposed to doing the opposite and needling people into posting. It's mild incentive to do so, even if it wouldn't actually lead to a lynch. (unless the game decided to turbo suddenly but lol???)

He did as demanded, vote left. Truly it was a 100% all in vote.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Gamerofthegame posted:

I put a vote on him to pressure him into actually playing the game and providing reads on people, as opposed to doing the opposite and needling people into posting. It's mild incentive to do so, even if it wouldn't actually lead to a lynch. (unless the game decided to turbo suddenly but lol???)

He did as demanded, vote left. Truly it was a 100% all in vote.

You've got your vote on Diqnol at the moment. Is there anyone else you think is scum?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Not overly. D1 isn't my day, as often said. Looking over the case (and posting/votes) on next-up-in-voting Samfu I don't see anything there, seems like just the usual D1 back and forth. Diqoul is the only one in the game thus far that really pings scummy to me. And he's p scummy on my scumdar.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Reading through Sam's post history in isolation before getting to the thread itself:

I do not get the sense that Sam is searching for scum, or that his behavior is in anyway pro-town. My qualms with his activity begins early D1, in which his first real actions are to jump on diqnol (1) for reasons unknown and post about posting content (2), (3). When he is called out on this behavior, Sam seems to shift tactics and "dredges up" a single post from Rarity to disagree on tactics (5) I find this odd behavior. While Rarity has made one or two posts which I view as genuinely suspicious, Sam picks on a post that appears almost innocuous. Even more inexplicable is how this disagreement over tactics rapidly snowball into Sam accusing Rarity of excusing herself from the lynch (6) which: A.) does not appear to be her intent; B.) is a ludicrous strategy for scum to take at this phase in the game; C.) would be entirely ignored by the town even if used.

Sam's casing makes me more wary about my suspicions on Rarity. It looks like Sam picked a suspect and found evidence to support his conclusions rather than the other way around and hedges his bets should his case go sour (7). I find myself disagreeing with a case that I should be inclined to support.

I am not putting much weight into his last few posts related to diqnol, as they read as frustration at diqnol's Trump-esque cockiness.

so those are my thoughts yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

TMMadman posted:

This is pretty much spot on about me. I tend to post a lot of crap on D1 (I try to focus and not post as much poo poo after D1) because I'm a messenger and spend the majority of my day in my car alone with my phone. So I tend to treat D1 as a time to shoot the poo poo and just try to get people to post in the thread, even if it doesn't really have to do with the game.

And for clarification, while my lurker poke was maybe a bit premature, I stand behind it. I just wanted those people to come in and make a post or two. I didn't care that chaos or anarc came in and just made and post about being busy, I was just happy to see something from them. I'm happy QPQ came in and made some effort posts even though he ended up voting for me.

Also the line about being a posting superstar was meant to be a joke and I thought it should have been clear because I know I've posted plenty of crap already. Next time I'll just add a :v: to make it obvious that I'm not taking myself seriously.

And Gamer, since you asked nicely I will indeed give you some reads, but I'll have to do it later tonight when I'm on my computer. Is that reasonable?

uuugggghhhhhhh i hate that i like this post

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I think Gamer is scum. There is a serious lack of substance to his posting.

Firstly he replies to a couple of players who talk about merk, but I dont see what his purpose is in those responses. Is it because he believes merk is town? Does he think the players he is responding to are scum? It seems more like buddying up to merk than anything else.

His posting with TMM is a lot more suspicious. He has a totally hedgy post about TMM, then votes for TMM (in what I think is a joke vote?? I honestly can't even tell)

I dont see how he is committed to that vote on TMM at all. Lastly his defence of that vote, when called out by Keane makes no sense at all to me.

What action does he think isn't scummy? Why is he voting TMM?

##unvote
##vote Gamer

good case and i would be willing to vote gamer on its basis. the joke vote you quote is p bad, like a robot desperately trying to appear human

"HELLO FELLOW TOWNIE, BEEP BOOP, LET US ENGAGE IN LIGHT-HEARTED HUMAN INTERACTION BEEP BOOP. HAHA"

this might be a personal thing, but i probably wouldnt drop a joke post on someone immediately after defending them.

to put on my lumpen hat for a second, i like bottleknight and valkyrie better for posting similar cases within minutes of each other. dont think scum would do that.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

I think it's fair to say that many people contradict themselves in a game of mafia as it goes on and that as a general rule of thumb when they do it tells you absolutely nothing. On the other hand, people who are overly concerned with being consistent are more likely to be scum. Now Lumpen, you're aware of how I post. Do you expect me to worry about being consistent?

How does being consistent look different than being overly concerned with being consistent?

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
This is like an impossible-to-meet standard arbitrated by you.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I'm sorry you can't tell lies from truths :shrug:

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I will be out of pocket all day tomorrow and maybe through deadline. I'm moving into a new home which doesn't have Internet yet. At best, I will be on a phone.

I really think Diq flips scum here. Barring that for some reason, look at the zero traction my Birdstrike comments early in the day got. I haven't ever revealed this theory of mine, but it's caught scum in a few games of months past that I've explained a different way because I didn't think this theory would be compelling to most town players: Scum often follow my wrong cases early on day 1 because there's no culpability for the scum when I badger the person to death and they flip town. I'm always the topic of discussion the next day. If I was wrong about Birdstrike I would have expected some scum to quote me with a "hell yeah" type of comment. It instead went nowhere. When Diqnol attacked me for it, no one negatively or positively talked about the vote on Birdstrike, just the Diqnol stuff alone. I believe this is telling and points to Birdstrike being scum.

This was done on a phone so apologize for formatting.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

I will be out of pocket all day tomorrow and maybe through deadline. I'm moving into a new home which doesn't have Internet yet. At best, I will be on a phone.

I really think Diq flips scum here. Barring that for some reason, look at the zero traction my Birdstrike comments early in the day got. I haven't ever revealed this theory of mine, but it's caught scum in a few games of months past that I've explained a different way because I didn't think this theory would be compelling to most town players: Scum often follow my wrong cases early on day 1 because there's no culpability for the scum when I badger the person to death and they flip town. I'm always the topic of discussion the next day. If I was wrong about Birdstrike I would have expected some scum to quote me with a "hell yeah" type of comment. It instead went nowhere. When Diqnol attacked me for it, no one negatively or positively talked about the vote on Birdstrike, just the Diqnol stuff alone. I believe this is telling and points to Birdstrike being scum.

First of all out of pocket is a very silly expression you silly man.

Second of all so are you saying that Birdstrike is scum and Diqnol is scum?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

merk posted:

When you say Birdstrike, who is not in this game, are you talking about me?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Haha, I think Merk confused two games.

As did I.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

caw

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

uuugggghhhhhhh i hate that i like this post

good case and i would be willing to vote gamer on its basis. the joke vote you quote is p bad, like a robot desperately trying to appear human

"HELLO FELLOW TOWNIE, BEEP BOOP, LET US ENGAGE IN LIGHT-HEARTED HUMAN INTERACTION BEEP BOOP. HAHA"

this might be a personal thing, but i probably wouldnt drop a joke post on someone immediately after defending them.

to put on my lumpen hat for a second, i like bottleknight and valkyrie better for posting similar cases within minutes of each other. dont think scum would do that.

ps lol

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

Pinterest Mom posted:

merk and f_v have been doing a good job of questioning your motivations for voting me. I'm happy to let them do it instead of me.

But they haven't. f_v just asked me about what pushed me over the edge, and Merk had just asked me about the whole dinqpizza thing.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

CCKeane posted:

First of all out of pocket is a very silly expression you silly man.

Second of all so are you saying that Birdstrike is scum and Diqnol is scum?

My cases are independent of each other. I'm saying id vote Diqnol and if that wasn't going to happen would vote Birdstrike.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

I am the Cheese! I am the best character on the show! I am better than both the Salami and the Bologna combined!

Lumpen posted:

I don't tend to try to "defend" myself, as a policy.
The only productive "defense" in Mafia is to catch a Scum. Bickering about incorrect cases on oneself is pointless.

If a Scum is casing me, obviously they are making a fake case and you can't "talk someone out" of a fake vote. I can only hope that it will be unpersuasive due to being fake, or become obviously wrong when catching Scum makes me clearly Town as the game progresses. If a Scum is targeting me and gets the first vote down, fighting back with an OMGUS is often counterproductive.

If a fellow Townie is making a sincere but mistaken case, I recognize that any effort to talk them out of it from someone they are suspicious of will likely case them to dig in and double down, which doesn't help Town win.

In your case, I feel that you're sincere but mistaken, and I lean Town on you. You are barking up the wrong tree, and I hope you'll re-read my posts and reconsider your viewpoint. I don't see any points where I feel I can explain or clarify for you. I meant what I said about the Mod enagging with people in the thread and how it affects my perception of their alignment. My issue with Mod interference is a Known Thing. I also think that the calls I made there have been largely supported by sibsequent posting, especially Quid Pro Quo reads very Town to me. It'll be interesting when the game is over to see if my theory on the Mod post was right, and having it on the record is important to me for smugneas purposes.

My strategy is to keep cvvalling out Scumposts as I see 'em, and contrtibute to flipping a Scum today, and if you're indeed Town, you can feel reassured.

I like this response, but it feels very alignment neutral to me.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

BottleKnight posted:

When you say Birdstrike, who is not in this game, are you talking about me?

Oh yeah. You. Your names are similar.

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Rarity posted:

Pretty sure I already did :D What did you think?

Clearly you didn't well enough because I thought it was a joke. I'll go re-read to see if I missed something though.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

merk posted:

Oh yeah. You. Your names are similar.

I don't control how others interact with you or me.

I don't really buy your "people didn't interact with me so therefore the person I cased is scum" theory at all, it just seems like a huge leap instead of casing someone for their content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ljtrigirl
Aug 13, 2015

Ah. You did later. For some reason, I thought you meant that you did when making the vote.

I guess I'm curious why Hal's VT role claim stood out to you over the others and how those claims impact your reads on those people.

I did really like the part about the whole fake hunting QPQ thing. So, I'm pinged enough that I'd be ok with his lynch but wouldn't actively push it myself because I have stronger evil reads elsewhere.

• Locked thread