Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
New phone. Bigger than the old Samsung but pretty awesome.

Pros -
FAST data, like 8mb downstream in my town fast. I was getting 1-3mb down on tmobile.
More data (had 1 gig, now have 2.5 gigs to burn through)
Fairly easy to port the number over (although, I haven't had a call come in yet on the new one, but I can call out)

Cons -
Paid the bullshit 25$ activation fee cause gently caress it I needed a phone tonight because my tmobile plan was gonna start over tomorrow and I didn't wanna throw 40$ at it.
Uncomfortable as gently caress metal stools at the store

All in all, if it holds up speed wise and actually works in MS where I need to go, then this is a damned good phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Mississippi? I use Cricket in Mississippi just fine FWIW.

edit: Except by the CSpire building where there's a hilarious dead zone of anything non-CSpire.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

IuniusBrutus posted:

I dig around a little online, find a number to call, and they activate it without any fee.

I am now waiting for my number to port over from T-Mobile to cricket, and it is...

FWIW I think my old attempt to activate might still be in a system somewhere from like two months ago.

If possible find a store and have them just do it.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I'm slightly bummed out because I think Republic Wireless' new $25 plan won't be enough to let me stream Google Music during commutes to/from work. Is my feeling right and are there alternatives?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kraps posted:

I'm slightly bummed out because I think Republic Wireless' new $25 plan won't be enough to let me stream Google Music during commutes to/from work. Is my feeling right and are there alternatives?

If tmobile service is good in your area the 30 dollar nerd plan includes Google music streaming that doesent eat into your data cap.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
How's StraightTalk these days? I'm looking to switch away from Virgin Mobile since their phone selection is pretty much dogshit now and 2.5GB of high-speed data per month isn't enough for me anymore. 5GB of high-speed data and unlimited everything else seems not bad for $45, plus I can use it with the new Moto G. Do they pull any bullshit I should be aware of?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The rear end Stooge posted:

How's StraightTalk these days? I'm looking to switch away from Virgin Mobile since their phone selection is pretty much dogshit now and 2.5GB of high-speed data per month isn't enough for me anymore. 5GB of high-speed data and unlimited everything else seems not bad for $45, plus I can use it with the new Moto G. Do they pull any bullshit I should be aware of?

Are you wanting AT&T or T-Mobile? There are better options than Straight Talk/Net10.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

ThermoPhysical posted:

Are you wanting AT&T or T-Mobile? There are better options than Straight Talk/Net10.

The network makes no difference to me, but in looking at AT&T and T-Mobile's prepaid plans, they don't offer anything that meets my needs as well as StraightTalk's 30-day unlimited plan for less than $60.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The network makes no difference to me, but in looking at AT&T and T-Mobile's prepaid plans, they don't offer anything that meets my needs as well as StraightTalk's 30-day unlimited plan for less than $60.

Use Cricket for AT&T. They're owned by AT&T and use the same network, just throttled.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Athenry posted:

Use Cricket for AT&T. They're owned by AT&T and use the same network, just throttled.

Looks like the price and features are pretty much identical between ST and Cricket. If Cricket offers superior service, I'll go with them. Thanks!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Here's a referral if you are going with Cricket: https://refer.cricketwireless.com/54MlPlL

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Looks like the price and features are pretty much identical between ST and Cricket. If Cricket offers superior service, I'll go with them. Thanks!

Yeah, Cricket's service is light years better than ST, mainly because the data connection actually loving works on Cricket rather than being QoS'd down to timeout levels of latency. ST and Net10 are both awful in that regard, and given the comparable pricing there's no good reason not to opt for Cricket unless you're in an ATT-less area.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'll go against the grain here and say I've had nothing but positive experiences for the three years I've been with Straight Talk (AT&T). I pay my monthly bill of $48 and I get unlimited talk, text and 5GB of data.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
Cricket service is definitely better, but I had more difficulties getting my number ported to them than I did with ST. If you need to talk to a customer service person on the phone Cricket is terrible (ST isn't great either). Still worth it for their much better data service.

If I can ever convince my wife to leave ATT, I'm driving to a brick and mortar Cricket store to get her set up rather than deal with their website/phone lines again.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I wish there was a reason to drop AT&T for a prepaid carrier but there just isn't. We have a total of 7 lines on AT&T and only 4 of those REALLY use data. We have the 30GB plan and we each pay $33 per month which pays it in full. We generally get close enough to 30GB to make it worthwhile.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I wish there was a reason to drop AT&T for a prepaid carrier but there just isn't.

Why would you want to switch from postpaid to prepaid? You lose roaming, you get throttled data speeds, and you get worse customer support.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Cricket trip report:

I had a hassle-free online experience with ordering a sim card and porting my phone number.

Also consider that their monthly charge includes all taxes so you actually pay $45 and not $48.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Why would you want to switch from postpaid to prepaid? You lose roaming, you get throttled data speeds, and you get worse customer support.

What roaming? There's not a single carrier out here besides Verizon that might have better coverage. Going to another country I just use a Tmobile SIM because AT&Ts roaming prices are a joke.

Throttled doesn't bother me one bit if its priced well, the 8Mbps from Cricket is more than enough for me and everyone on our line.

I never contact support.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What roaming? There's not a single carrier out here besides Verizon that might have better coverage. Going to another country I just use a Tmobile SIM because AT&Ts roaming prices are a joke.

Throttled doesn't bother me one bit if its priced well, the 8Mbps from Cricket is more than enough for me and everyone on our line.

I never contact support.

Okay, great, you've told me why prepaid isn't bad. You didn't explain why you'd want to switch though.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Okay, great, you've told me why prepaid isn't bad. You didn't explain why you'd want to switch though.

Cost.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'd imagine most people do simply to pay less, which is why my original comment indicated I would like to do .. but I haven't found that yet where it beats my $33/mo per line deal.

Thank you for keeping me sane, I was unsure of what someone would want to switch for.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

They stated that they pay $33 a month for each user and they actually do use most of their 30GB.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

They stated that they pay $33 a month for each user and they actually do use most of their 30GB.

Yes, and I would like to pay less if there was an option. It was really just a statement of "man I wish I could do this but $33 is hard to beat" and possible hopes someone said "hey bro, here's a great option you might not have heard of!" ..

So, no need to discuss it further .. $33 seems to be better than I will get anywhere else.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yes, and I would like to pay less if there was an option. It was really just a statement of "man I wish I could do this but $33 is hard to beat" and possible hopes someone said "hey bro, here's a great option you might not have heard of!" ..

So, no need to discuss it further .. $33 seems to be better than I will get anywhere else.

Yeah I suppose $33/person for 7 people on a postpaid shared plan is not a bad deal at all.

Cricket's "group save" comes close at $30/person for 5 people with 5gb each, but like Vykk.Drago said you lose the benefits of postpaid to save $3/month.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

nimper posted:

Yeah I suppose $33/person for 7 people on a postpaid shared plan is not a bad deal at all.

Cricket's "group save" comes close at $30/person for 5 people with 5gb each, but like Vykk.Drago said you lose the benefits of postpaid to save $3/month.

Yeah in this case $3 isn't enough to move away for. My usage is very limited, I am around WiFi most of the time (work from home) and I generally cache stuff locally like music. The 15GB double data plan (so 30GB) was a good deal on AT&T but I am always out to save what I can, if it makes sense. AT&T's network in downtown Cincinnati is abysmal (speed, not coverage) so that's one reason I would like to pay less .. anywho, I'll just keep an eye out for deals.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

mAlfunkti0n posted:

The 15GB double data plan (so 30GB) was a good deal on AT&T

I was wondering how you got 30GB for so cheap. It would work out to $47 per person otherwise, not counting device payments or any employer discounts.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It looks like it's got to be the nanoSIM from Cricket that's blocking my tethering on my Nexus 6. I've done a few factory resets lately due to trying out the Marshmallow Preview and whatnot and each time, tethering was blocked. The weird part is, it seems the Access Point Name information has been baked into the card and, even if I try to clear it, it stays.

With my microSIM from Cricket.com in my Nexus 4, it came blank and I had to input the APN settings manually and I was able to tether on my 4. When the Cricket rep put the nanoSIM in, it automatically was set up and I didn't have to do anything at all to get LTE while I was setting up my device.

EDIT: Looks like Harbor Mobile will be switching over to being an AT&T reseller instead of a T-Mobile one. They'll keep the T-Mob plans for current customers but all new signups will be AT&T only.

This all seems to be happening on Monday, so I'll refrain from updating the OP until something official pops up.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 21, 2015

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Does anybody know what the deal is with BYO Wireless/Budget Mobile/Budget Prepay? I got what seems to be a very spammy email, saying that my super-cheap "office" phone is going to be transferred from BYO to Budget Prepay on Sept 1st. As far as I can tell, the plans are roughly comparable (aside from losing all data on the plans less than $15/mo), but Budget Mobile/Budget Prepay seems to be some sort of subsidized low-income wireless provider.

Not that it matters much. The phone mostly sits on my desk at home, and I just use it as an easy way to filter out business calls from my personal phone, so I can easily ignore it out of my normal hours. And it's cheaper than just getting a landline.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

This all seems to be happening on Monday, so I'll refrain from updating the OP until something official pops up.

I just went on their website and it says to check back on Monday August 17th. Which is funny because today is the 21st already.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Has anyone here used a decent international SIM for data while traveling in Europe? All of the ones I am finding seem somewhat sketch or have weird charges where any time you use any data at all it charges you 1MB.

I have Cricket here in the USA and they don't have any international options.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

ShaneB posted:

Has anyone here used a decent international SIM for data while traveling in Europe? All of the ones I am finding seem somewhat sketch or have weird charges where any time you use any data at all it charges you 1MB.

I have Cricket here in the USA and they don't have any international options.

Best (cheapest) option is to just buy a SIM when you arrive. I bough an Orange SIM in France and it was super cheap and fast, I think like €30 for 5GB of data. Most of the cards you can buy in the U.S. are a rip off by comparison.

If you're willing to pay for a month of T-mobile, their international roaming works great as well. Only 128kbps, but more than fast enough for maps, social media, looking up travel info. I used it in 4 different countries and it was awesome to just immediately have service everywhere when my plane landed. Speed seemed consistent and I was almost always on 4G/LTE networks.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So the "First month included" Simple Mobile sim on ebay has gone from as low as $2 per pop to now $7 each and rising, that has increased my high speed data cost form $1 per GB to now almost $4 per GB. I hope Simple Mobile continue to offer this promotional sim, I am so used to pay almost nothing for my family's wireless cost its very hard for me to go back to $25-30 a month per line for the next cheapest option (Criket).

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
Has anyone changed phones on Cricket that required a different size SIM card? I currently have a Nexus 5 that has a Micro SIM but I'm going to be upgrading to the new Moto X, with a Nano SIM. Do I just order one from the website or do I have to go into the store? And if so, are they going to charge me an activation fee?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PurpleJesus posted:

Has anyone changed phones on Cricket that required a different size SIM card? I currently have a Nexus 5 that has a Micro SIM but I'm going to be upgrading to the new Moto X, with a Nano SIM. Do I just order one from the website or do I have to go into the store? And if so, are they going to charge me an activation fee?

I believe you can get it from the site for like a dollar. You can also cut them yourself (which is what I did to upgrade to my 2013 moto x), but I'd recommend against it if you can. Sometimes, depending on the tray, you can get SIM stability issues if it's not cut just right and keeps slipping out.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PurpleJesus posted:

I did, actually. Went from Nexus 4 to Nexus 6. I didn't feel like waiting to buy a SIM so I went to the store. One claimed I needed to pay $45 for activation plus the SIM ($35 activation + $10 card) but that's bullshit and do NOT do that. Just go to another store. At the most, they'll charge you $10 (plus tax) for the card. Some may not charge at all,

Be aware though, you might lose tethering if you had it before.

Also, going to be updating the OP with new Virgin Mobile news later today.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 1, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You can cut the nano sim yourself. Its alot harder than cutting a micro sim. Its much easier with a cutter

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_sop=15&_nkw=nano+sim+cutter&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
New Harbor Mobile alternative, courtesy of slickdeals

quote:

Smartel.mobi PROMO - $30/Mo Unlimited Voice, Unlimited Text, 10GB LTE Data (Expires Sept 20)
PINK GOLD Promotion expires Sept 20, 2015

Smartel.mobi - Unlimited Voice, Unlimited Text, 10GB LTE Data

$10 activation. All prices already include taxes and all the fees

Promotion 1
$30/month for the first and second month (1st and 2nd month)

Promotion 2
$35/month for the month 3 until cancel (3rd month - number cancel)

Promotion 3
12 month rollover data + FREE 10GB (Start with total of 20GB)
Must use FREE 10GB before data begins rolling

No contracts, no hidden fees, no fine print

The gist is that it's a Tmo nvmo for $35/m with 10GB LTE speed, plus the promotion gives you 1-time 10GB bonus data and $5 discount for first 2 months.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

PurpleJesus posted:

I went to one of the many little broken phone screen repair type places and asked if they had a SIM card cutter I could use, and they just clipped it for me. I guess you could also order one, but when are you ever going to need it again?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

whatever7 posted:

New Harbor Mobile alternative, courtesy of slickdeals

The gist is that it's a Tmo nvmo for $35/m with 10GB LTE speed, plus the promotion gives you 1-time 10GB bonus data and $5 discount for first 2 months.

Actually, it looks like it's T-Mobile and Verizon with Sprint and AT&T supposedly coming later. I'll add them to the OP along with the new Virgin Mobile stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Are there still issues porting numbers from Straight Talk to Cricket? My wife has ST but I'd like to switch her to cricket at some point but I recall there being issues with the porting, and she's one of those luddites that actually cares about the number her phone has.

Her usage isn't intense enough that ST has been much of a problem for her (though her auto-refill causes me way more hassle than my Cricket does) but $3 a month is $3 a month.