Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

ultimate marvel also had orson scott card write iron man and welp

quote:

The child, named Antonio (Tony for short), developed neural tissue normally found only in the brain all throughout his body, causing his entire body to act as one massive brain, giving him tremendous mental capacity. However, one of the side effects of the accident from the minute he was born was an extreme dermal sensitivity, making even the sensation of air on his skin feel like severe burns due to the over stimulation of neural cells in his skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Young Freud posted:

He can't, at least in baseline Marvel. Nightcrawler really just teleports himself and anything or anyone he's carrying. He would be teleporting himself into a block of concrete in order to teleport you into it.

I'm also thinking that there's some displacement involved, since there's always a BAMF! at his exit and entrance teleport locations, and that he can only really displace non-solid, non-corporal objects, so it avoids the whole "teleporting into a wall/human being" facet.

As with most superpowers, it's best not to think about it too hard. I remember an old comic where Nightcrawler grabbed the arm or head of a baddy and teleported it right the gently caress off, begging the question why he wont do that with just about everyone who pisses him off. Also, does he have to make a conscious decision about how much of the person he is holding he wants to teleport? Like, when Nightcrawler has a bad day, could he forget to teleport your legs?

Early on his power had the limit that he could only teleport to places he could see, which made sense to me. But then he overcame that limitation because the power was inside him all along or some such, and I've basically given up on thinking about it at all.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i'd teleport myself, fully erect, right into their poopchute

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zzulu posted:

i'd teleport myself, fully erect, right into their poopchute

That's Bueno Excellente's power.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bro Dad posted:

Yeah that was the only Ultimate Marvel I read and it sucked. I was all excited for Orson Scott Card but he really screwed the pooch on this one like he has every book after Ender's Game (though his short stories are awesome and excellent).

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Young Freud posted:

I checked because I didn't know who that was. And you're not wrong.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Bro Dad posted:

also had orson scott card write
This is never a good idea. Literary equivalent of A-Ha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Bro Dad posted:

Did he write this as a self insert?

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

88h88 posted:

BUENO...

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

88h88 posted:

Well ... poo poo.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Bro Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee76HgGrU5U

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Alternate reality Nightcrawler killed Deadpool by teleporting his head off.

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
if i was nightcrawler i would find a beautiful woman with great big titty hooters and teleport her out of her clothes

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Deadpool's definitely survived a decapitation or two.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ok nerds I'm sure one of you has a six page thesis ready to go, why does nightcrawler look like Beast

Nefarious
Sep 26, 2000

by XyloJW
just think of those big beautiful titties swaying free as she tries to figure out what happened

truly glorious

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Young Freud posted:

He can't, at least in baseline Marvel. Nightcrawler really just teleports himself and anything or anyone he's carrying. He would be teleporting himself into a block of concrete in order to teleport you into it.

I'm also thinking that there's some displacement involved, since there's always a BAMF! at his exit and entrance teleport locations, and that he can only really displace non-solid, non-corporal objects, so it avoids the whole "teleporting into a wall/human being" facet.

A hundred time this. Don't forget that the Hulk rapes and eats a bunch of nurses as well. It's edgy for the sake of being edge, just like a lot of Mark Millar's projects are.

The only good thing that came out of Ultimate Marvel was Miles Morales Spiderman and he wasn't originally in the initial line-up, he basically replaced Spiderman after the Ultimate Peter Parker died.

but he could teleport next to a wall while holding you so you were in it and he wasnt or just teleport a mile into the sky and leave you there or hold out a sword and just teleport himself so its in your brain

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

like how does any story with nightcrawler in it work when he can do that im furious about comic books

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

david... posted:

but he could teleport next to a wall while holding you so you were in it and he wasnt or just teleport a mile into the sky and leave you there or hold out a sword and just teleport himself so its in your brain

With my theory, and it's completely invalidate because of whoever is writing the book, the first example wouldn't happen because the wall wouldn't displace and you'd be outside of it. It would probably hurt, like having someone slam you into the wall, but would not be a instant-kill move.

The second is totally within the ability of anyone who can teleport, I believe this happens almost constantly in the novel "Jumper".

The third could be within the theory's speculation, but why would you do this when you can have Kitty Pryde do it easier?

Honestly, the only person I've seen canonically kill someone with a teleport through the actions of the ability and not as the end result (like just TPing them in the air) was Magick kill someone by closing her teleport disk on them while they were half way through, cutting them in half.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

david... posted:

like how does any story with nightcrawler in it work when he can do that im furious about comic books

Nightcrawler is too stupid to figure out to do these things is how.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Applewhite posted:

Nightcrawler is too stupid to figure out to do these things is how.

It's like the issue with Wolverine's healing factor allowing him to regenerate from a drop of blood. Once you put that in a comic, the genie's out of the bottle and you hope that the fans just forget about it.

I guess the better way would be to have an editorial team that watches everything and has a bible on whose powers can do what, which is how DC's characters can have remain consistent. And whenever they do go off point, they just reboot the universe.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

david... posted:

just teleport a mile into the sky and leave you there

He (or his dad, I think) did exactly this in X-Men First Class.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

computer parts posted:

X-Men First Class.
Somehow everything in those movies looks hokey and weird and Marvel does equally (or more) ridiculous things and makes them look good.

I hope they get all the rights back.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Ok nerds I'm sure one of you has a six page thesis ready to go, why does nightcrawler look like Beast

Nightcrawler looks like a blue demon guy because he's really religious. Like, Russian Catholic or some sort of goofy form of Christianity. And it's a good character thing, that this really nice, very religious guy just happens to look like a demon from hell.

edit: just to be clear, this was the orignal reason. Later on they decided "because it works with the character" wasn't a good enough reason, so now he's the son of an actual demon, which is why he has the tail and stuff, and his mom is Mystique.

Which is why he's blue.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

FRINGE posted:

Somehow everything in those movies looks hokey and weird and Marvel does equally (or more) ridiculous things and makes them look good.

its called giving a gently caress

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
I really hope the x men and avengers worlds never crossover. It's just too much poo poo and the avengers barely make any sense when like half the population also has superpowers. It's stuff like that which make comics extra dumb and marvel/Disney has done a really good job of avoiding it in their movies.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Hobohemian posted:

I really hope the x men and avengers worlds never crossover. It's just too much poo poo and the avengers barely make any sense when like half the population also has superpowers. It's stuff like that which make comics extra dumb and marvel/Disney has done a really good job of avoiding it in their movies.
Yeah, the Marvel film universe thing is already pretty bloated and insane. They definitely should not muddle things further by throwing a few million mutants into the mix that have somehow hitherto never been mentioned

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Whatev posted:

Yeah, the Marvel film universe thing is already pretty bloated and insane. They definitely should not muddle things further by throwing a few million mutants into the mix that have somehow hitherto never been mentioned

They're doing exactly this except they're calling them "Inhumans".

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

computer parts posted:

They're doing exactly this except they're calling them "Inhumans".

and it will be loving glorious

quote:

We have to get those filthy NotMutants! Our advanced NotSentinels will be able to hunt them down like the disgusting NotThinlyVeiledWhitewashedAttemptAtExplainingRacialPolitics they are!

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
i watched an episode of the 60s batman tv series today because it was on the local old people station. it was modestly funny and it was properly lit & sound balanced which is more than i can say for most super hero movies. i had a good time!

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Whatev posted:

I agree with this. I think since all the movies are somewhat tied together, they should be comfortable killing off a few characters.

Why on earth did Pepper Potts have to live in Iron Man 3? God the last 20 minutes of that movie were god awful

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Madcosby posted:

Why on earth did Pepper Potts have to live in Iron Man 3? God the last 20 minutes of that movie were god awful

The only good part of that movie was the Mandarin reveal.

Iron Man 2 was also poo poo

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I liked Iron Man 2

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
I liked Iron Man 3

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Race Realists posted:

and it will be loving glorious

While I agree with your statements on the X-Men and their increasingly strained analogy (I joke that they really shouldn't be using racial minorities or LGBT people for their analogy, but open-carry advocates), the Inhumans are actually part of the Marvel Universe and not something the MCU or Agents Of SHIELD made up to replace mutants. I believe they're going to use them to bridge the gap between the Avengers films and Guardians Of The Galaxy, since the Inhumans are actually aliens that have a history of experimenting on the human race (which is where the "NotMutants" superpowered people will come from).

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Eh! Frank posted:

I liked Iron Man 3

It's my favorite Marvel movie. I haven't seen AntMan yet tho

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Young Freud posted:

While I agree with your statements on the X-Men and their increasingly strained analogy (I joke that they really shouldn't be using racial minorities or LGBT people for their analogy, but open-carry advocates), the Inhumans are actually part of the Marvel Universe and not something the MCU or Agents Of SHIELD made up to replace mutants. I believe they're going to use them to bridge the gap between the Avengers films and Guardians Of The Galaxy, since the Inhumans are actually aliens that have a history of experimenting on the human race (which is where the "NotMutants" superpowered people will come from).

No, you loving moron. The Inhumans are a strain of humanity that was created by aliens via genetic manipulation millions of years ago. Get your loving facts straight before you open your stupid mouth.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Young Freud posted:

Excellente, indeed.

The Skeleton King fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Aug 23, 2015

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Young Freud posted:

While I agree with your statements on the X-Men and their increasingly strained analogy (I joke that they really shouldn't be using racial minorities or LGBT people for their analogy, but open-carry advocates)

because... open-carry advocates are a persecuted minority?

i was not aware of you guys struggles. sorry to hear that

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Race Realists posted:

because... open-carry advocates are a persecuted minority?

i was not aware you guys struggles. sorry to hear that

It's true. Gun owners in general are persecuted unfairly every day.

• Locked thread