Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

ljtrigirl posted:

Lumpen- Please explain the QPQ top town read because I'm not seeing it.
I have a strong gut Town read. QPQ seems to believe what he says, is putting effort into his cases (including reference links), and his conclusions logically follow from a plausible, reasonable train of thought. I don't agree with all his conclusions or weigh the evidence the same as him, but his effort and approach strike me as Townie. I see signs of reading the threads inquisitively and legitimately hunting for Scum. I would not vote for him today and would be very surprised if he flipped Scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

merk posted:

Ecco would not remove a town or scum vote. I am very confident of that. That cuts against the core of mafia.

If it is optional? That is to say, if he ends the day without placing a vote he gets some sort of BOON but he can trade that boon in for a vote at any time? Because if you know Keane, and I know Keane, he loves a good boon but would be willing to trade it in if it was more helpful.

I know he is a ghost too because he tried to sit on (and break) the ~*oOoOo ChAiR ThAt BiTeS BacK!!! oOoOo*~

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Stumps tend to be, well, neutral, but I was once a stump god powerful monster that was kinda town in a way

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

TMMadman posted:

Alright, since I'm on standby now I have a few minutes to try and make and actual post.

I've been over this before, but it's just the way I post/play and I'm not going to apologize for it. I understand that a post with mostly neutral reads can be scummy, but I will take that heat. I do not believe that every single post, even read posts, needs to contain scum reads. I freely acknowledge that I tend to play and look at the game in an odd fashion and it's often going to make me look weird.

I looked at 1 person you wanted me to look at, two people that were dominating the discussion at the time, the two people who dominated the discussion most of D1 and then including QPQ because he been pinging me and he also is involved between PMom/ljtrigirl. It would have seemed out of place if I ended the post with something like 'oh btw, these other people are totally scummy'.

You should also notice (and nobody that called me out on that post has done so), that I ended up posting a case against QPQ a short while after I made that post and I think it's a decent one. Also, I would think that people would get the implication that if I think someone is a good target for the day then it means I'm leaning scum for them.
I think this is a really awkward and self-conscious post in a bad way. Scummy.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ljtrigirl posted:

You're surprised that I'm still suspicious of Lumpen despite the fact that he wasn't scum in my dream about the game? Seriously? Dude. It was dream.

What points that QPQ made did you agree with?

It's just a weird contradiction is all. I know it was a dream that makes it even weirder to mention imo.

And going back over the case QPQ made on you last night while I was making my case, I found myself agreeing less with his case on you. In fact, your posting today made me lean back towards town hard for you. So the cases made against you are pretty much bullshit. I'm phone posting, so I can't easily go grab my QPQ case, but what do you think of it?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpen posted:

I think this is a really awkward and self-conscious post in a bad way. Scummy.

You've been saying that all game, but I've been consistent all with my stances all game long. You don't want to actually bring a case against me, you just keep flinging accusations at me without putting in effort. It's super scummy.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

If it is optional? That is to say, if he ends the day without placing a vote he gets some sort of BOON but he can trade that boon in for a vote at any time? Because if you know Keane, and I know Keane, he loves a good boon but would be willing to trade it in if it was more helpful.

I know he is a ghost too because he tried to sit on (and break) the ~*oOoOo ChAiR ThAt BiTeS BacK!!! oOoOo*~

I am town aligned and I am aiming to help the town.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
merk seems to be 3rd-party-hunting a lot more than Scumhunting, and that is suspicious because its a way for Scum to post with sincerity (since it isn't part fo their informed minority information).

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Lumpen posted:

merk seems to be 3rd-party-hunting a lot more than Scumhunting, and that is suspicious because its a way for Scum to post with sincerity (since it isn't part fo their informed minority information).

Lumpen please stop making me agree with Lumpen.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

For a town that mislynched on Day 1 we've had almost no actual discussion of the candidate who got lynched. Can someone who voted for Gamer early (BottleKnight, FV, Kashuno looking at you guys) explain to me a day later why you thought he looked so scummy?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

That would be lying about not having a vote.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think Pinterest Mom is a pretty uninspired lynch and most of the evidence I've seen against him is stuff that could either be applied to other games he's played (short votes without followup) or are flat-out arguments that don't make sense to me (why would scum give up on their scum team as early as Day 2 without any of them having been lynched?).

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Lumpen posted:

Excuse me? How am I third party hunting more than scum hunting? I made one post on Keane that drew questions. I've made tons of posts with scum reads and thoughts.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

merk posted:

That would be lying about not having a vote.

What have I said regarding my vote, Merk?

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think Pinterest Mom is a pretty uninspired lynch and most of the evidence I've seen against him is stuff that could either be applied to other games he's played (short votes without followup) or are flat-out arguments that don't make sense to me (why would scum give up on their scum team as early as Day 2 without any of them having been lynched?).

Pin is a great case. I'm sorry you disagree.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I agree with merk, not voting is scummy and if Keane can vote but is choosing not to then that's scummy.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Ninth Layer posted:

For a town that mislynched on Day 1 we've had almost no actual discussion of the candidate who got lynched. Can someone who voted for Gamer early (BottleKnight, FV, Kashuno looking at you guys) explain to me a day later why you thought he looked so scummy?

Well I can't speak for BK and FV, I know Kashuno said he voted for gamer because of QPQ case on gamer. It's something I noted in the case I made against QPQ.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
The following players have made:
- Fewer posts than me this game (I post a lot of white noise I know, but)
- Have not yet posted five times this game day
- Are not themselves replacements

They are encouraged to post more.

- Samfucius
- SirSamVimes
- fiery_valkyrie

I am rapidly running out of potential replacements so if you need to bow out just say so sooner rather than later, otherwise just post more!

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 24, 2015

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

TMMadman posted:

You've been saying that all game, but I've been consistent all with my stances all game long. You don't want to actually bring a case against me, you just keep flinging accusations at me without putting in effort. It's super scummy.
Very overdefensive. "All game"? "just keep flinging"? "super scummy"?
I think I mentioned you in maybe a single other post, after you made a different Scummy post. You seem to be flipping out way way out of proportion to being called out in passing twice. Do you have me confused in your mind with someone else? Find me examples of what you think you're talking about. You are moving up my List.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Well I can't speak for BK and FV, I know Kashuno said he voted for gamer because of QPQ case on gamer. It's something I noted in the case I made against QPQ.

Which in retrospect looks bad for me because of the flip and my current view on QPQ

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lumpen backing off of Diqnol, acquiescing to me and calling me town, and posting a LumpenList™ all in one post gave me the immediate reaction that he smelled the wind turning against him and decided to play it safe. Not the Lumpen I know, who would go out on his shield for opinions he believed in.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

EccoRaven posted:

The following players have made:
- Fewer posts than me this game (I post a lot of white noise I know, but)
- Have not yet posted five times this game day.

They are encouraged to post more.

- Samfucius
- SirSamVimes
- fiery_valkyrie

I am rapidly running out of potential replacements so if you need to bow out just say so sooner rather than later, otherwise just post more!

I would basically be up for lynching any of these people to help Ecco out. Preferably fiery_valkyrie who the only thing I can remember her doing was promoting the Gamer lynch.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
His post on me hunting third parties is ridiculous. I'd vote him on that. He can't actually believe that statement.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Rarity posted:

Ok, I've come round on ljtrigirl being town. Her posts are too erratic and inconsistent, if she were scum she'd be covering her rear end much more.

Too scummy to be scum, huh?

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Samfucius posted:

Too scummy to be scum, huh?

I see what rarity means and I think "too scummy to be scum" is a bit reductionist. Trigirl hasn't posted with intention or focus on how she is perceived, and that is towny in nature.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

As to the second part, pmom can get real grumpy real fast.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

merk posted:

His post on me hunting third parties is ridiculous. I'd vote him on that. He can't actually believe that statement.

Lumpen where has merk done a significant amount of 3p hunting?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

Which in retrospect looks bad for me because of the flip and my current view on QPQ

Well sort of, but you're in a confirmed masonry with Rarity and I have no reason to doubt that claim. You already know I tend to believe claims first and then look for lies in them rather than the other way around. I mean I guess you two could be playing some sort of weird scum game but what would involve me believing massive amounts of :tinfoil:

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

The Ninth Layer posted:

Lumpen backing off of Diqnol, acquiescing to me and calling me town, and posting a LumpenList™ all in one post gave me the immediate reaction that he smelled the wind turning against him and decided to play it safe. Not the Lumpen I know, who would go out on his shield for opinions he believed in.
It's more important to be right in the end than right from the start. As much as I love the thought of getting the whole Scumteam right on D1, I've learned to sleep on it and admit when I'm tunneled and leading myself astray. As more posts and flips happen, evidence changes. You're right that I don't back down from opinions I believe in, but I'm clear about what I believe and what my best hypothesis is at a given time.

Making a List requires getting a fresh perspective and fitting pieces together in ways that just latching on to a single case might obscure. I tried to show my thought process clearly.

If you're Town, TNL, try making a List too. Don't get stuck in a tunnel (again).

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Samfucius posted:

Lumpen where has merk done a significant amount of 3p hunting?

His posts regarding Keane's lack of votes. That's about it.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

His posts regarding Keane's lack of votes. That's about it.

Lumpen, do you agree?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Lumpen posted:

It's more important to be right in the end than right from the start. As much as I love the thought of getting the whole Scumteam right on D1, I've learned to sleep on it and admit when I'm tunneled and leading myself astray. As more posts and flips happen, evidence changes. You're right that I don't back down from opinions I believe in, but I'm clear about what I believe and what my best hypothesis is at a given time.

Making a List requires getting a fresh perspective and fitting pieces together in ways that just latching on to a single case might obscure. I tried to show my thought process clearly.

If you're Town, TNL, try making a List too. Don't get stuck in a tunnel (again).

Flips didn't change your opinion though. I'd like to believe it was my persuasive posts and arguments that convinced you in the end, but to be honest I think it's more that people were starting to agree with me about you.

I have no problem with people changing their minds. I don't like how fast and how drastically yours changed.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I never change my mind because I am without one. I am simply cold logic and computational circuitry.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I never change my mind because I am without one. I am simply cold logic and computational circuitry.

Explains our lovemaking. :(

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Looking back over merk to see where that impression comes from, his recent posts about Keane seem more engaged and ~meant~ than his other posting. I guess thats the best way to describe it. He's pursuing Keane with logic and purposefulness, and his other posting just comes off as kind of reserved and flaccid in comparison.

Does he really want to lynch Pinterest Mom or only want to seem to want to? He seems to ~really care~ about determining if Keane is 3P.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

CCKeane posted:

Explains our lovemaking. :(

Will you drop an attempted vote in the thread to prove you can't vote?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Holy christ this is a lot to keep track of.

Lumpen is still giving me vibes, diq seems good in my book, and I have no idea at all what to make of pmom. LJ seems to be town and I can dig that.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

The Ninth Layer posted:

Flips didn't change your opinion though. I'd like to believe it was my persuasive posts and arguments that convinced you in the end, but to be honest I think it's more that people were starting to agree with me about you.

I have no problem with people changing their minds. I don't like how fast and how drastically yours changed.
That doesn't make me Scum, it makes me good at Mafia. If people make convincing arguments and people I think are Town think I'm wrong, I check my premises. It was mostly the process of making the List that altered my perspective.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Kashuno posted:

Holy christ this is a lot to keep track of.

Lumpen is still giving me vibes, diq seems good in my book, and I have no idea at all what to make of pmom. LJ seems to be town and I can dig that.

If PMom flips scum, this post should set off loud alarm bells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lumpen posted:

That doesn't make me Scum, it makes me good at Mafia. If people make convincing arguments and people I think are Town think I'm wrong, I check my premises. It was mostly the process of making the List that altered my perspective.

Are you saying you don't even listen to people you don't think are town? That's a bad way to play a game that is based on making, at the very best, educated guesses at peoples intentions with a rather large margin of error.

• Locked thread