Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

What is the market for this thing in TYOOL 2015, where you can fit a Titan X in a 10 litre case with length to spare? :confused:
cubes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

repiv posted:

What is the market for this thing in TYOOL 2015, where you can fit a Titan X in a 10 litre case with length to spare? :confused:

Retardedly overpriced mini-form-factor overheating-prone "console killers" from Alienware and co.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

repiv posted:

That's a weird thing to complain about. The form factor is great, and I have a feeling if NVIDIA did it, nobody would be saying "this card is too small".

It's the price they've hosed up, everyone will buy 980 Tis (that they can actually find to buy!) instead.

vv Well yeah, I wasn't comparing the pricing strategy, just the form factor

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Aug 27, 2015

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

HalloKitty posted:

That's a weird thing to complain about. The form factor is great, and I have a feeling if NVIDIA did it, nobody would be saying "this card is too small".

It's the price they've hosed up, everyone will buy 980 Tis (that they can actually find to buy!) instead.

People would complain if it were priced at $650 though. Everybody was pretty stoked if it was $475. Even I was and I have no use for it

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
The Nano could have been the saving grace for this whole release, sitting at 400-450$. A 650$, no one is going to loving buy it, what in the hell is it offering over a Fury X at nearly the same price?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

The Nano could have been the saving grace for this whole release, sitting at 400-450$. A 650$, no one is going to loving buy it, what in the hell is it offering over a Fury X at nearly the same price?
loving seriously. At least give us a Fury G with 3/4 of the stream processors or something to make something out of the horrible yields.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

HalloKitty posted:

vv Well yeah, I wasn't comparing the pricing strategy, just the form factor

No one is complaining about the size.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FaustianQ posted:

Yeah, echoing this - the fact that some of their benches show the Fury Nano in spitting distance of (or better than) the Fury X is alarming, especially with the X requiring a CLC and the Nano being completely air-cooled. Could have at least dropped $100 off the Nano just for cooling alone.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 27, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

DrDork posted:

Probably this, especially considering the enormous PR poo poo-storm that was the initial 290X launch with "clocks up to X" that no one could ever hit for more than 15 seconds because lol AMD stock coolers.

...which the Nano happily shows that AMD hasn't learned a damned thing from: they drop the cooling solution from Fury X's AIO closed loop down to a single 92mm fan, and advertise a clock that's only 50Mhz lower, despite also losing 100W of potential draw. Which either means that the Fury X was really, phenomenally stupid (dropping the $100 premium for the AIO would have actually made it a compelling option at $550), or there's no way the Nano is going to hold 1000Mhz for more than a few moments before it clocks down.

The Nano is power limited, AMD's estimate is that actual clock speeds will be in the 900 MHz range, the 1000 MHz clock is just so only the power budget will limit it.

It's a really niche card, but it looks like they have yields that one or two niches could saturate.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
The target segment for the Fury Nano is what, enthusiast gamers with big wallets, who also want to run mITX, who didn't get a case with provisions to fit a full sized GPU?

This is why Nvidia has 82% of the discrete market now. AMD's business plan for this generation has been only to release new 550+ dollar flagship cards, an already tiny market segment, while rebadging the rest of their lineup. Then they gently caress that up by making a GPU so hard to make that AMD and its partners can't actually produce any. Turns out no one wants twice rebadged GCN 1.0 Pitcairns, warmed over Tongas and Hawaii chips you doubled the memory on and added an extra 100 bucks to the price in the market segments people actually buy GPU's in. And you can't buy their high end GPU's.

But hey, at least their DX12 drivers are good, for all 10 people who will play DX12 games on an AMD GPU.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No one is complaining about the size.

Giggidy. :quagmire:

I actually got my old drive cleaned up enough last weekend that I'm going to do a clean install of 10 so I can compare scores between 8.1 and 10. If I get really ambitious (maybe over the holiday weekend) I might even install 7 on a spare drive and be able to compare all 3.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

veedubfreak posted:

Giggidy. :quagmire:

I actually got my old drive cleaned up enough last weekend that I'm going to do a clean install of 10 so I can compare scores between 8.1 and 10. If I get really ambitious (maybe over the holiday weekend) I might even install 7 on a spare drive and be able to compare all 3.

Sounds like an exciting holiday

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Beautiful Ninja posted:

But hey, at least their DX12 drivers are good, for all 10 people who will play DX12 games on an AMD GPU.
If you're not rocking a huge display there's still no reason to upgrade from a 290. Which is something a lot of people still use, surprisingly.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Sounds like an exciting holiday
What else is an enthusiast computer janitor gonna do?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Its crazy how much we talk about firestrike when there are these "games" that people play with their GPUs... I think "games" is the right word for them?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Captain Yossarian posted:

Its crazy how much we talk about firestrike when there are these "games" that people play with their GPUs... I think "games" is the right word for them?
What games, do you mean stuff like DOTA which I play on an Intel HD Graphics 4600?

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

veedubfreak, have you spent more time in firestrike than playing through the Witcher series yet?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fence hopper posted:

veedubfreak, have you spent more time in firestrike than playing through the Witcher series yet?

Nah, I've only run firestrike like 5? times. Oddly enough firestrike will run at 1504, but MW:O will crash the driver. Finished Witcher 1, and about 10 hours in to Witcher 2.

Firestrike is good for when I'm cleaning up around the house and want to push my clocks. But I think I've gone as far as I can. I actually set my GPU back to defaults last night because it maxes everything out at default clocks and there's no chance of crashing the game :)

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I had a 1080p monitor and was content with a 970. I started following this thread awhile ago and now I have a overclocked 980ti and 1440p monitor. Thanks?

Also it seems like I'm one of the few people here that didn't run any benchmarks yet. I think I'll fix that this weekend. These games better have achievements.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

What games, do you mean stuff like DOTA which I play on an Intel HD Graphics 4600?

That... Sounds like a game?! Honestly I'm just busting people's balls here, but about 100% of the discussion is centered around synthetic benchmarks instead of games. Makes me feel like I'm in Guru3d or something :spooky:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Captain Yossarian posted:

That... Sounds like a game?! Honestly I'm just busting people's balls here, but about 100% of the discussion is centered around synthetic benchmarks instead of games. Makes me feel like I'm in Guru3d or something :spooky:

Finally someone said it - buy your fancy GFX card, overclock it if you must, but for god's sake play some games instead of constantly benchmarking them and returning them because the internet says you should get a higher score.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I'm going to run some benchmarks to talk about those instead of games.

So I don't have to tell people I traded up for a 980ti and have mostly been playing pillars of eternity... It's runs great though!

e: I've been playing the witcher 3 also. I will say that upgrading to a 1440p monitor has been one of the best computer related purchases I've made in awhile. Being able to max everything out is great. I had a 6870 before.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 27, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Ozz81 posted:

Yeah, echoing this - the fact that some of their benches show the Fury Nano in spitting distance of (or better than) the Fury X is alarming, especially with the X requiring a CLC and the Nano being completely air-cooled. Could have at least dropped $100 off the Nano just for cooling alone.

I think our perspective has been reversed this entire time on the Nano/X relationship - Fury X is the dumping ground for lovely Fiji chips, considering the performance/watt gap is enormously in favor of the Nano despite being the same chip. It's why they need the CLC, it's why they came first. Someone needs to buy a Nano and slap a solid Liquid loop on it and see where they can take it, because if a CLC Nano outperforms an X then it all but confirms AMD marketing is run in a separate universe where it's normal to have your head shoved up your rear end.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

FaustianQ posted:

I think our perspective has been reversed this entire time on the Nano/X relationship - Fury X is the dumping ground for lovely Fiji chips, considering the performance/watt gap is enormously in favor of the Nano despite being the same chip. It's why they need the CLC, it's why they came first. Someone needs to buy a Nano and slap a solid Liquid loop on it and see where they can take it, because if a CLC Nano outperforms an X then it all but confirms AMD marketing is run in a separate universe where it's normal to have your head shoved up your rear end.

Well my understanding is that the Fury Nano will be power locked, so you probably can't even overclock it to consistently outperform an X, unless there are provisions to unlock the power/volt/temp limits on the card. The Fury X was volt locked after all.

And yeah, this seems like an extremely dumb thing to do on AMD's side of things. Take your best performing chips, power lock them and have it barely outperform the 390X. Take the lovely Fiji's, slap on a CLC and clock them to their limits and sell those as your top of the line GPU. What kind of logic is this?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

:holy:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Lol

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

get hungry

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

But Fury X can't be the dumping ground for lovely Fiji chips because Fury already has a cut down chip so this is all sorts of confusing, how bad could the average Fiji bins possibly be? :psyduck:

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

But Fury X can't be the dumping ground for lovely Fiji chips because Fury already has a cut down chip so this is all sorts of confusing, how bad could the average Fiji bins possibly be? :psyduck:

Well Intel does something similar with their CPU's. I believe the Core i7 is the 'standard' chip, with a Core i5 being a Core i7 that doesn't have functional hyperthreading, some defective cache or can't clock as well as the i7. Core i3's are Core i7's that have one or two defective cores. So in this case the Fury Nano is the Core i7, the Fury X is the i5 and the Fury is the i3.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Bins for good power/voltage performance are a different beast vs die harvested chips. GTX970 vs 980, Fury X vs Fury non-X, anything that's the same model of chip with functional bits disabled is a die harvest- It's totally possible that these still have excellent power performance profiles, it's just that there was a physical defect in one of the compute clusters.

Intel is doing the power based bins on the latest broadwell Xeon E3s as well, where there's a 95w chip that has the exact same performance as a 65w chip.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Well Intel does something similar with their CPU's. I believe the Core i7 is the 'standard' chip, with a Core i5 being a Core i7 that doesn't have functional hyperthreading, some defective cache or can't clock as well as the i7. Core i3's are Core i7's that have one or two defective cores. So in this case the Fury Nano is the Core i7, the Fury X is the i5 and the Fury is the i3.

Not really true, dual core chips have entirely different dies. What you're thinking about happens more in the Xeon space, where there are 18 core chips and it's probably a lot more common to run in to a single core defect. Even there, though, the largest Xeons are completely distinct dies compared to the lower end 6/8/10/12 core versions.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 27, 2015

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

I thought that i3 / Pentium / Celeron were native dual-core chips, just like mobile i7 / i5 / i3s. Are desktop i3s really a full fat die?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Lol you guys, we virtually never talk about synthetics here except like literally this one time to diagnose a real problem

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Beautiful Ninja posted:

The i3/Celeron/Pentiums are actually cut high-leakage bins of 15-28w mobile CPUs, whereas the i5/i7 are high-leakage bins of 47w mobile CPUs and low-end Xeons.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The desktop pentium dual core/i3 are definately smaller physical chips

compared to an i5/i7

So its not just lasering off dead cores

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SlayVus posted:

Try this

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3738/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-355.80

Looks like I won't be able to purchase my 980 Ti until tomorrow. Which sucks because it'll be shipped by FedEx. Which is estimated for 3-5 days and they don't have a store near me for me to pick up from.

Dropped to 18617, heh. It's fine, it can keep up with the games I'm playing lately, and I'm sure it'll get resolved.

Thanks for the tip on the driver, though, I didn't know it was out there.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Apparently, Galax's office/warehouse is in Illinois. I just sold my 970 to a guy in Illinois. Just an interesting coincidence.

FedEx says they'll deliver it Saturday. Just in time for my the days of from work. Come on Galax GTX 980 Ti HOF.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heaven shows a meaningful difference between SLI and non-SLI, so it's not absolutely broken.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

The windows 10 sli issue was a memory leak problem. The new 355.80 hotfix driver fixes it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don Lapre posted:

The windows 10 sli issue was a memory leak problem. The new 355.80 hotfix driver fixes it.

I think it's not the only issue, if I'm still getting 18K on firemark with dual 980 Tis and one of them is basically idle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Jesus Christ AMD, why? Just why? What the gently caress is the point of the Nano? Anyone interested in buying a loving $650 video card can also afford a big enough PSU to power a 275W card! Most of the ITX cases can fit such a PSU and a long, dual slot card! This thing is entirely pointless outside of a absolutely tiny demographic! :cripes:

gently caress, you can even get 600W SFX(-L?) PSUs nowadays. Silverstone just put one out. All you really need for a 300W card is about 450W, anyway, and those are readily available. The only catch there is heat - they're much smaller and 60-80mm is about all you can cram in there for a fan. So you have small fans spinning fast, which gets noisy.

Yeah, short cards are an increasingly niche market because most cases are designed to take full-length double-slot cards. I have three different mITX cases and every single one of them could take a 980 Ti easily both in terms of power and space.

I assume this will be reference only? Otherwise the AIBs would crank the clocks and TDP back up and slap a big cooler on it and boom custom Fury X boards.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 27, 2015