Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

fade5 posted:

First, Peshmerga shot down an ISIL drone over Mosul dam.

Yes that is a homemade drone. Welcome to the 21st century.

I honestly fail to be impressed by this. You can literally walk into a hobby shop, buy a mid sized to large model plane plus a box of extra servo motors and cables, and stick on a camera/a hand grenade/an IED. It's more surprising it has taken so long for lovely model airplanes with random crap stuck to them to be weaponised in the first place, and I bet it's because nobody took the idea seriously till omg killer robutts predator drones made it cool.

e: seriously, look at the picture. It's a foam/plastic toy plane held together with duct tape, with an exposed toy plane motor driving a fiberglass propeller on the back and messy wiring. I've flown more impressive model aircraft as a kid.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

blowfish posted:

I honestly fail to be impressed by this. You can literally walk into a hobby shop, buy a mid sized to large model plane plus a box of extra servo motors and cables, and stick on a camera/a hand grenade/an IED. It's more surprising it has taken so long for lovely model airplanes with random crap stuck to them to be weaponised in the first place, and I bet it's because nobody took the idea seriously till omg killer robutts predator drones made it cool.

e: seriously, look at the picture. It's a foam/plastic toy plane held together with duct tape, with an exposed toy plane motor driving a fiberglass propeller on the back and messy wiring. I've flown more impressive model aircraft as a kid.

I think it was more a statement on how ubiquitous the idea of unmanned aerial surveillance has become. Or I could be reading too much into it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Aurubin posted:

I think it was more a statement on how ubiquitous the idea of unmanned aerial surveillance has become. Or I could be reading too much into it.
Both that and the fact that "walk into a hobby shop, buy a mid sized to large model plane plus a box of extra servo motors and cables, and stick on a camera" is a little bit harder to do in ISIL-controlled Iraq than it is in the US. If you're missing a couple parts in Mosul, you can't just order them from Amazon (at least not directly).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Note: Iran invented the first regular-use combat drone, in part because of the restrictions on how many full on planes they could afford.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Aurubin posted:

Yeah. I still roll my eyes whenever a glorified toy plane with a camera or random explosives strapped under it gets called a ~drone~ (implying it is some sort of new sophisticated weapons system and not, well, a glorified toy) which started just after the US began bombing things with Predator drones on a regular basis. People have been flying toy planes for decades and remote triggers for cameras have also existed for decades.

Nowadays you can even build your very own poor man's futuristic military aviation hardware to be flown via remote video transmission like the big boys using off-the-shelf parts.

See e.g. here for a handy guide on how to modify babby's first RC plane (literally, it's the unbreakable stable boring entry model of a successful line of foam planes) into a surveillance platform. If you buy a quality remote control, you can even control it from several miles away! :eng101:

e:

fade5 posted:

Both that and the fact that "walk into a hobby shop, buy a mid sized to large model plane plus a box of extra servo motors and cables, and stick on a camera" is a little bit harder to do in ISIL-controlled Iraq than it is in the US. If you're missing a couple parts in Mosul, you can't just order them from Amazon (at least not directly).

I'm pretty sure there are places in the middle east you can get $300 worth of toy plane shipped to, so they're just a car trip away from the nearest civil war. The hardest thing to do is probably to reliably recharge batteries, but the thing I linked can actually run off a pack of dirt-common AA batteries.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 28, 2015

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
In large part it's just a word association thing. When people think drone, they think predator dropping bombs on weddings, not chintzy little raven being used to make a salute report.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Our Cyberpunk Redneck future.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Volkerball posted:

In large part it's just a word association thing. When people think drone, they think predator dropping bombs on weddings, not chintzy little raven being used to make a salute report.

Couldnt these drones be armed though? Whats stopping them from strapping a basic shaped charge to these and dive bombing them onto tanks or sending them to explode shrapnel over crowded markets like a poor man's predator?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

OctaMurk posted:

Couldnt these drones be armed though? Whats stopping them from strapping a basic shaped charge to these and dive bombing them onto tanks or sending them to explode shrapnel over crowded markets like a poor man's predator?

I'm sure it's being worked on/considered, but using them for reconnaissance is very effective and much, much easier

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OctaMurk posted:

The fact that it'd be pretty easy to shoot 'em in the air.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

OctaMurk posted:

Might be able to put a hand grenade into that one there but you'd need more like an artillery shell to do real damage which it couldn't come close to lift.

Edit:
Also why bother when you can use a drone to scout and then just shoot artillery at them.

Edit:

This plane:

Which is much larger can apparently hold 15 lbs max and it's know as a high payload RC plane.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 29, 2015

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Really, it's only a matter of time before we start seeing kamikaze drones.

blowfish posted:

Yeah. I still roll my eyes whenever a glorified toy plane with a camera or random explosives strapped under it gets called a ~drone~ (implying it is some sort of new sophisticated weapons system and not, well, a glorified toy) which started just after the US began bombing things with Predator drones on a regular basis. People have been flying toy planes for decades and remote triggers for cameras have also existed for decades.
On the other hand, military drones have also existed for decades. They were used for target practice in World War II and reconnaissance drones started coming into their own in the Vietnam War. The hobby planes being flown in Iraq today are probably more sophisticated than those. What we're really seeing is the "democratization" (can't find a better word) of drones on the battlefield.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 29, 2015

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

Hezbollah toyed around with this already back in 2006, I don't think it worked out particularly well - they got intercepted and shot down before reaching their targets.

But they've got proper Iranian made drones rather than something someone has whipped up in their garage

Edit: scratch that, apparently at least one hit home

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/14/AR2006071401786.html

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 29, 2015

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

I'm more surprised that we haven't seen more acts of general drones terrorism, you load her up with as much explosives as you can, drive it as close to the target as you can, quickly send her up and into an office window or whatever, and drive off before anyone knows what happened.

It wouldn't be super effective, but it would send a message.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ikasuhito posted:

I'm more surprised that we haven't seen more acts of general drones terrorism, you load her up with as much explosives as you can, drive it as close to the target as you can, quickly send her up and into an office window or whatever, and drive off before anyone knows what happened.

Because the point of terrorism usually includes people seeing you do it and knowing it's you.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

I'm thinking weight is probably the biggest problem. Strapping explosives of any size other than maybe a grenade is probably going to make most drones too heavy to fly. You would need a larger/ more powerful drone than the hobbyist drones ISIS is flying right now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

The fact that it'd be pretty easy to shoot 'em in the air.

I'm betting you've never actually shot at anything flying or you wouldn't think it was pretty easy.

More than likely the battery died.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

FAUXTON posted:

Because the point of terrorism usually includes people seeing you do it and knowing it's you.

Hm one thing I've noticed over the years is that one of the biggest thing holding back such groups is their over obsession with being flashy rather than effective. I suppose we should be thankful for that.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

FAUXTON posted:

This isn't true at all. Al-queda, for example, didn't claim responsibility for most of the big attacks it carried out. There are a great many bombings in this thread that aren't claimed by any one group.

And, its not like because its a drone it means you can't claim responsibility for the attack.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

On the other hand, military drones have also existed for decades. They were used for target practice in World War II and reconnaissance drones started coming into their own in the Vietnam War. The hobby planes being flown in Iraq today are probably more sophisticated than those. What we're really seeing is the "democratization" (can't find a better word) of drones on the battlefield.

In some regards probably (though many target drones were also modified surplus regular aircraft), but a Global Hawk is more sophisticated than a typical off the shelf toy plane. On the other hand, the currently-deployed RQ-11 Raven is a literal toy plane with cameras for quick and dirty battlefield surveillance...

Ikasuhito posted:

Since even the loving White House has had toy planes and quadcopters drop on it already, I wonder the same :v:

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, it's essentially hype about existing technology finally being a Big Thing for anyone other than bored middle class civilians.

Ikasuhito posted:

Hm one thing I've noticed over the years is that one of the biggest thing holding back such groups is their over obsession with being flashy rather than effective. I suppose we should be thankful for that.

note: this includes militaries that haven't fought a real enemy in decades, e.g. the US military. Just look at the clusterfuck surrounding the F-35 and LCS development and procurement process...

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 29, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

spacetoaster posted:

I'm betting you've never actually shot at anything flying or you wouldn't think it was pretty easy.

More than likely the battery died.

I have though? Drones don't fly fast, drones that are made out of toy planes even less so. Many of them fly like 45 mph or less, especially if you're trying to strap a load onto them.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Nintendo Kid posted:

Note: Iran invented the first regular-use combat drone, in part because of the restrictions on how many full on planes they could afford.

The first armed, reusable drones that saw regular combat were I believe American drones used against the Japanese during WWII.

Dilkington posted:

Teleoperation predates WWII. The Germans and Americans developed the first tv-guided vehicles during the war. If we were to narrow our definition of "drone" to include only vehicles with electro-optical systems, then I believe the Interstate TDR was the first drone used in combat.

The USAF pursued a number of different programs after the war- primitive drones were used during the Korean war, and more advanced ones saw extensive use over Vietnam. This is to say nothing of the Soviets drones over Afghanistan.

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 29, 2015

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
Dumbed down drone? or dumbed up toy?
:iiam:

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
edit: double post

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The idea of ISIS kamikaze drones is dumb as gently caress on so many levels. Please stop.

The UN announced yesterday that 300,000 refugees have reached Europe by sea in 2015, which is a 40% increase over the entirety of 2014. Unfortunately, this increase in refugees relying on smugglers has also increased the number of those who have died, up to 2,500 that we know of this year. This is highlighted by two major events over the last two days where combined, nearly 300 people have died trying to make it to Europe.

The first was an incident in Austria, where 70 refugees were found in the back of a semi trailer, suffocated to death.

The second is believed to be one ship full of close to 400 refugees capsizing, killing somewhere around 200, mostly those trapped in the hold.

:nms: for drowned kids
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNh0_eJXAAAzUGL.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNh0_eJWoAEa6ff.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNh0_eMWUAElr_Y.jpg
/:nms:

This Reuters article provides more details on both.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/28/us-europe-migrants-idUSKCN0QX0UH20150828

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 29, 2015

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34095949

Another truck. Thankfully everyone is alive this time, but some children were in critical condition and were taken to the hospital.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
So so sad :(

I feel like we're hitting a watershed moment in refugee policy globally because of the unprecedented numbers and unique type of refugees and IDPs created from the Arab Spring and predominantly Syrian civil war. Which way it will go in policy I'm not sure. I see the two options as either reigniting a fascist nationalism and closure of borders around the world, or a renaissance of refugee policy and global response. I'm currently in Iraq overseeing Iraqi and Syrian refugees and I can't blame them for seeking a better life out of the constant conflict and hopeless future here.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Lascivious Sloth posted:

So so sad :(

I feel like we're hitting a watershed moment in refugee policy globally because of the unprecedented numbers and unique type of refugees and IDPs created from the Arab Spring and predominantly Syrian civil war. Which way it will go in policy I'm not sure. I see the two options as either reigniting a fascist nationalism and closure of borders around the world, or a renaissance of refugee policy and global response. I'm currently in Iraq overseeing Iraqi and Syrian refugees and I can't blame them for seeking a better life out of the constant conflict and hopeless future here.

It's so sad, most everybody rightly hates ISIS for the atrocities they commit against innocent people just trying to live their lives, yet when there is something very real thing they can do to help the victims of ISIS backs are turned. It's pretty disgusting.

Can only hope in the end humanity comes through for a change :(

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
A European refugee agency will have to be created i think. Refugees will still have to apply for asylum in the first country they enter. But if they fufill the criteria for asylum then they will have to be divided out equally between the Schengen countries. You won`t get stuck in Italia or Greece just because that`s where you landed. But on the other hand there will no gurantee that you will end exactly where you want. This Pan-European agency will have to be responsible for deciding each application as well. It`s not fair to dump that entire load on the inefficent and overburdened South European states. It won`t depend upon which country you enter first whether or not the criteria will be considered fufilled or not.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Baudolino posted:

A European refugee agency will have to be created i think. Refugees will still have to apply for asylum in the first country they enter. But if they fufill the criteria for asylum then they will have to be divided out equally between the Schengen countries. You won`t get stuck in Italia or Greece just because that`s where you landed. But on the other hand there will no gurantee that you will end exactly where you want. This Pan-European agency will have to be responsible for deciding each application as well. It`s not fair to dump that entire load on the inefficent and overburdened South European states. It won`t depend upon which country you enter first whether or not the criteria will be considered fufilled or not.

Sweden, Austria and Germany actually processed more than half of all asylum applications last year, so it's not true at all that the entire load is dumped on Italy and Greece. Of course that's partly because they break the Dublin Regulation and let a lot of them just leave to the other EU states, but that's only because the Dublin Regulation is extremely dumb and should immediately be replaced with a refugee program like the one you describe.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo

Baudolino posted:

I agree, but it also needs a shift in global government policy in accepting the concept of refugees without the fear and xenophobic vote grabbing attitudes. Furthermore, I believe France and Germany rejected the "it's the border you cross that you must seek asylum in" agreement which is the most disgustingly unfair EU policy to exist regarding refugees. Thankfully those two countries, besides England, are probably the most influential to make that change. Also, sadly, the deaths in Austria and those via boat just before the talks regarding refugee policy in EU will have an effect.

I think this also will reflect the response by the international community in Syria and the region. In fact, I see the future of the ME being non-interventionist or one of proxy support because of US policy that played a big part in leading to all this, only because of the culminating refugee issue it has created.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
So Turkey is finally actually doing what they're supposed to be doing, bombing ISIL.
https://twitter.com/brett_mcgurk/status/637618252802334720

quote:

Last night, #Turkey began flying strike ops against #ISIL terrorists in #Syria as a fully integrated partner in our air coalition. #ISIS
Took them loving long enough.

Also, ISIL made a video about their "new currency" that they're going to use in ISIL-held territory. No link to the actual video, because gently caress ISIL and because I'm probably on a watchlist already. Instead, have an imgur gallery of their coins:
http://imgur.com/a/LcAlj

Also, guess who also popped up in the video:

Yep, Ron Paul. I wonder he approves of ISIL's new gold/silver/copper currency.:v:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Those are some real lovely looking coins. So little detail.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

fade5 posted:

So Turkey is finally actually doing what they're supposed to be doing, bombing ISIL.
https://twitter.com/brett_mcgurk/status/637618252802334720

Took them loving long enough.

Well the Islamic State left them little choice, their recent actions have put the FSA's northern supply route in jeopardy, decreased the chance for their much talked about "safe zone", and most sinister of all risked the possibility of the last separated Kurdish canton merging with the others. They had to act sooner or later.

I implied it before and I Will say it here, such groups are always their own worst enemies.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I would not put it past them that they accidentally bombed non-kurds and decided to run with it.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I think this also will reflect the response by the international community in Syria and the region. In fact, I see the future of the ME being non-interventionist or one of proxy support because of US policy that played a big part in leading to all this, only because of the culminating refugee issue it has created.
[/quote]

Not intervening allowed this crisis to get much worse then necessary. I you want less refugees i would argue for a different ME policy.

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Strange to think of them minting coins and the like (unless it's just propaganda). Guess they have the facilities to, but I always assumed they were on a total war footing and never made much of an attempt to build an actual state.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Those coins look easier than usual to counterfeit. How hard would it be to produce fakes and pump them into ISIS territories, just to gently caress whatever economy exists there?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ofaloaf posted:

Those coins look easier than usual to counterfeit. How hard would it be to produce fakes and pump them into ISIS territories, just to gently caress whatever economy exists there?

Probably not very hard, but I imagine passing counterfeit coins, even unknowingly, carries the death penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ofaloaf posted:

Considering they're precious metals plus copper, it'd probably be far more effort than it's worth to counterfeit them convincingly without spending tons of money.

They're probably not gonna have all that much gold and silver to mint either.

• Locked thread