Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

TMMadman posted:

Now as for who I suspect, I am still very good with my QPQ call from D2, you can see it here:

I am going to stick with this case and I think merks words only reinforce it when he said this:

Also, I really don't like that QPQs post here:

He is clearly just looking to set me up and I don't like it. Not to mention, for all the poo poo he's said about me saying nothing, take a look at this post he made earlier today right before his vote on me.

This says absolutely nothing at all and provides no reads or anything useful.

My vote today goes right back to where it was yesterday

##vote QPQ

I disagree. If we consider the conclusions of that post, that scum were "probably among the people who considered merk "suspicious early, but jumped onto his bandwagon late," I think we can make substantial progress toward finding a good lynch target. To demonstrate, I've taken the liberty of compiling the reads expressed yesterday in the lead up to the final bandwagon. Some very familiar characters began to emerge once you look at the people who lobbied for merk's lynch without ever voting for him.

Exempting Rarity, whose alignment I have already mentioned, the players who obsess over merk most are EXAKT Science (with 10 attacks) and Ltrigirl (with 8 attacks). Other players (Hal (with 3 attacks (1), (2), (3)), Diqnol (with 3 attacks (4), (5), (6)), Lumpen (with 3 attacks (7), (8), (9)) are much more passive. Diqnol and Lumpen's attacks make sense within context and read as real. Lumpen's contributions, in particular, are sensical and lead to an actual vote.

Among these posters, girl's lobbying sticks out the most for how constant it is. Within the first two pages of D2, girl throws together four separate attacks against merk (10), (11), (12) (13). Girl approves of Rarity not for any of her long posts, but for her vote against merk. In Girl's post history, merk actions are "disingenuous" (see 11) and she mentions repeatedly that she "doesn't like" merk's contributions (see 4). Though she indicates merk as a probable lynch target earlier (see 12), she reiterates this position (14) and implies through his contributions are uniquely terrible (15).

Though girl's post history is absolutely replete with references to merk and her suspicions of him, girl avoids voting for him until the absolute last moment (16), when she can justify her switch as an attempt to avoid a no lynch. She lays out this thinking as the day approaches its the final hours, Girl emphasizes that while she is very happy with her PMom vote, "I'll probably switch to merk if it looks like there isn't any traction against him" (17).

If finding scum is, as Girl claims (18), "not about the number of votes, [but] about [looking at] how you vote" then Girl should be the subject of intense suspicion. Her vote does not follow the focus of her attentions and reads like an attempt to avoid complicity in the larger merk bandwagon. Girl's lobbying allowed her to undermine merk's reads and advance his candidacy while maintaining enough distance to avoid backlash. PMom made a post on a similar subject yesterday (19), but I think it was slightly off the mark. Girl's posts on merk are the result of someone trying to actively separate themselves from a lynch.

I think she's a good lynch candidate. ##unvote, ##vote: girl

I also think this method helps resolve some of the suspicions about PMom who defies the conclusion above and seems to be independently reacting to the thread. When given an opportunity to lay a low-risk vote on merk, he avoids doing so by saying there are "better votes," (20), an approach which is consistent with her earlier observations. He doesn't mention merk except when asked about him, because he's not someone he views as suspicious. The only other clear reference occurs late game (21) and seems like genuine frustration to merk's "woe is me" strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

HiipFire posted:

AHH YEAH LETS GO

Hiipfire has extra I's in his name. Which is strange, because most people avert theirs when he walks by.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

CCKeane posted:

Hiipfire has extra I's in his name. Which is strange, because most people avert theirs when he walks by.
lmao

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

TMMadman posted:

And just to make it clear, I think QPQ swerved the vote off Diqnol and onto gamer. So right now QPQ is my #1 suspect followed by Diqnol. I also still suspect Hal as well and he hasn't really posted anything lately to make me change my mind.

I'm not sure what to think of the QPQ moving to and fro on Samfu. It could be scumbuddy covering for scumbuddy again, but it seems too obvious and therefore I'm more inclined to lean town for Samfu, but for now I'll put him in the 4th spot on my list.

I would not actively defend a scumbuddy. My last scum game involved me actively bussing most my partners.

ljtrigirl posted:

Sort of? I'm actually a spear fisher and was told that I give out spears, but I targeted Kash last night, and he died with a harpoon. The description of the harpoon also matches what I was told about my ability.

If a bus driver switched TMM with someone on N1, they might want to come forward, because whoever they switched him with probably killed Ninth.

I'm not sure I believe TMM, but diq having a harpoon kind of throws things off for me.

The flavor talks about taking out things like octopi, swordfishes, and sharks. I'll ask Ecco.

And immediately after I spend too much time making a case, I remember the harpoon thing and have doubts.

##unvote

Samfucius posted:

I cannot fathom why we would need different flavors of harpoons.

Also ##vote diqnol

hello look at this lovely vote

EXAKT Science posted:

Still want to kill Vimes. Also, reasonably sure that at least one of TMM/QPQ is scum.

Why do you say this? Elaborate.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

QuoProQuid posted:

I would not actively defend a scumbuddy. My last scum game involved me actively bussing most my partners.

And immediately after I spend too much time making a case, I remember the harpoon thing and have doubts.

##unvote

hello look at this lovely vote

Why do you say this? Elaborate.

So you can't change strategies? What the hell is up that lovely reasoning? It's the same line of bullshit that diqnol pulled earlier by saying he wouldn't ask scum buddies to defend him. In fact, given your last game, wouldn't it make more sense to actively defend your scum buddies because nobody would be expecting it?

Then I just love how you make the big case against ljtrigirl and then whiplash it back and say you have doubts. It just proves that you aren't actually reading the thread fully before you post.

Your post also comes complete with a dismissal of a vote on a scum buddy.

Also, I think you just want to see which side Exakt falls on between me and you, so you can figure out possible night kill targets.

Finally, I've showered, dressed and eaten and now it's time to go to the show. It's going to rock my face off.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

TMMadman posted:

So you can't change strategies? What the hell is up that lovely reasoning? It's the same line of bullshit that diqnol pulled earlier by saying he wouldn't ask scum buddies to defend him. In fact, given your last game, wouldn't it make more sense to actively defend your scum buddies because nobody would be expecting it?

Then I just love how you make the big case against ljtrigirl and then whiplash it back and say you have doubts. It just proves that you aren't actually reading the thread fully before you post.

Also, I think you just want to see which side Exakt falls on between me and you, so you can figure out possible night kill targets.

Finally, I've showered, dressed and eaten and now it's time to go to the show. It's going to rock my face off.
.................................................................................

why would my reading of the entire thread have anything to do with my alignment. my modus operandi this entire game has been posting as i read

i dont even understand your third or forth point so ?????????

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

TMMadman posted:

QPQ retracting his vote makes me feel more comfortable with him. A scum player would be very aware of that claim as it's either a scumbuddy or a huge threat so they would have taken it into account in the case itself.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Rarity please evaluate Diqnol. Your doublevote and guaranteed-Town viewpoint are helpful.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ecco just confirmed I can't pass it during the day time, sorry rarity/other guy

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Rarity posted:

QPQ retracting his vote makes me feel more comfortable with him. A scum player would be very aware of that claim as it's either a scumbuddy or a huge threat so they would have taken it into account in the case itself.

Rarity, what do you think of TMM? You voted for him earlier in the day on the basis of the harpoon, but I want to know your current thoughts.

I think he's one of the best candidates for today's lynch.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lumpen posted:

Rarity please evaluate Diqnol. Your doublevote and guaranteed-Town viewpoint are helpful.

diqnol is a player I still haven't figured out how to read. He's jumped up in suspicion a little in light of merk's flip but I wouldn't feel confident saying he's scum. Right now I'd vote him to avoid a no lynch but I think there's stronger lynch candidates out there.

QuoProQuid posted:

Rarity, what do you think of TMM? You voted for him earlier in the day on the basis of the harpoon, but I want to know your current thoughts.

I think he's one of the best candidates for today's lynch.

Kash told me during the night he was planning to case TM today and gave me his meta read that said TM is playing different to how he plays as town. As for myself, again I'm suspicious but not completely convinced. It's my first game with him so I haven't got him fully figured out yet. I think the best bets for today are BK for the reasons I already stated and also Lumpen.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

##vote Lumpen

I'm more confident about this than I was about merk so if you need me to explain I shall

:allears: Trying your luck with getting another vocal scumhunter lunched?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mafia edit: Rarity, do you think my big diqnol post is legitimate or am I being biased by my earlier suspicion on diqnol?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

SirSamVimes posted:

:allears: Trying your luck with getting another vocal scumhunter lunched?

How and when was Lumpen a vocal scumhunter? Look at who he has called scum all game and how he's pursued these votes. Tell me what you see.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Also, Vimes, I didn't say this earlier, but your post(s) fall under the fallacy that involving a lot of posts forms a narrative. The problem with yours was that it was all over the place and written wholly with the assumption that I was scummy rather than pointing to specific things or having a coherent narrative/reason for thinking I'm scum. A good case will talk about important specific points and fully flesh out thoughts that might make sense to someone that doesn't assume what you do. A bad case will have a lot of little nagging comments that don't actually come together in a meaningful way. It's something most mafia players play through; I used to make cases in a similar way and even when I was right it wasn't compelling simply because I couldn't condense my message. I find that doing this also helps me to determine if my thoughts actually make sense - if it doesn't fit together, I often look over my reads again and try to find something that makes more sense.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SirSamVimes posted:

Mafia edit: Rarity, do you think my big diqnol post is legitimate or am I being biased by my earlier suspicion on diqnol?

There are parts I agree with and parts I don't. Particularly the part about PMom. Basing cases on unknown flips is bad mafia.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm in for MADMAN'S BLOOD

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I haven't reread this thread in about 4 days, I'm just working with current posts. Exhausting couple of weeks for me. Tomorrow I have fantasy pretty much all day, too, and Monday is looking to be another nasty day. I think I'll go back to not playing mafia until I have the free time to do it right.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I haven't reread this thread in about 4 days, I'm just working with current posts. Exhausting couple of weeks for me. Tomorrow I have fantasy pretty much all day, too, and Monday is looking to be another nasty day. I think I'll go back to not playing mafia until I have the free time to do it right.

Why start playing it right when you're beloved for playing it wrong all these years?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

Posting from Wrigley Field waiting for the Foo Fighters.

We'll just have to disagree. I feel like if QPQ has the time to make a post with over 20 citations then he has time to completely read the thread before making a post so he can make an actual informed case. To me it just looks like he wants to be seen making cases instead of actually making them. This is the second time he's made a case on someone without reading the entire thread first. He did the same thing to you, despite you already being a confirmed mason.

It reeks and I don't like it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

CCKeane posted:

Why start playing it right when you're beloved for playing it wrong all these years?

SNL 9/11 dot avi

TMMadman posted:

Posting from Wrigley Field waiting for the Foo Fighters.

We'll just have to disagree. I feel like if QPQ has the time to make a post with over 20 citations then he has time to completely read the thread before making a post so he can make an actual informed case. To me it just looks like he wants to be seen making cases instead of actually making them. This is the second time he's made a case on someone without reading the entire thread first. He did the same thing to you, despite you already being a confirmed mason.

It reeks and I don't like it.

This is actually pretty compelling for calling QPQ out but I am not sure he's scummy for that necessarily.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

How and when was Lumpen a vocal scumhunter? Look at who he has called scum all game and how he's pursued these votes. Tell me what you see.
Perfect example of guilty-minded psychological projection.
I encourage everyone to look at my cases, my scum calls, my votes, and my Lists. Tell me what you see.

Diqnol has only OMGUS-voted and "cased" merk ("You.Are.Going.Down.", remember) and "better than no-lynch" votes gamerofthegame, and then merk again, then pure seething OMGUS on me after my D3 case and vote based on the harpoon claim evidence. Before that, when is the last mention from his of any sort of suspicion on me? It was before my D2 List. When I wasn't calling him Scummy, he apparently didn't have a bad word to say about me. It's purestrain OMGUS.

Diqnol has not expressed a non-OMGUS suspicion in this game. Go back and read him. Go look and see. I am a vocal Scumhunter, Diqnol's a loudmouth self-preservationist.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
Reminder, Diqnol was the clear D1 lynchleader as deadline approached D1.

EccoRaven posted:

:c: Current Day 1 Votecount :c:
GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE/Diqnol (6): merk, BK, Samfucius, -merk, -BK, merk, -Samfucius, Lumpen, Gamer, -merk, merk, Samfucius, QPQ, SamVines

Samfucius (3): merk, fv, PMom, -merk, merk, -merk, Kashuno, -fv, Hal
Gamerofthegame (3): BK, fv, Meinberg
merk (3): Diqnol, -Diqnol, Diqnol, Ninth, Rarity
Click that quote link and read the way it unfolded in the next 3 hours to end up like this:

EccoRaven posted:

:c: Final Day 1 Votecount :c:
:redhammer: Gamerofthegame (11): BK, fv, Meinberg, Kashuno, QPQ, Hal, TMM, PMom, Diqnol, merk, SamVines

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE/Diqnol (3): merk, BK, Samfucius, -merk, -BK, merk, -Samfucius, Lumpen, Gamer, -merk, merk, Samfucius, QPQ, SamVines, -QPQ, -SamVines, -merk
If Diqnol were Town I doubt the vote would have moved off him like that. He is Scum.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
Hello everyone, I am alive, and caught up. I would have posted sooner, but my hotel eats wireless signal. Just... eats it.

I can confirm that diqnol can't pass his item during the day, or drop it. My coin is the same way.

Keane, as a ghost, what are your thoughts on magick?

As for reads, QPQ is starting to look scummy to me. I did not like his case on ljtrigirl, to me her posts looked logically consistant.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Yeah I'll vote diqnol, Lumpen. ##unvote ##vote Diqnol

Several different people have floated the idea that we are scumbuddies, and all I can say about that is that it is dead wrong. This vote doesn't prove that obviously, but it is absolutely not true.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Mithross posted:

Hello everyone, I am alive, and caught up. I would have posted sooner, but my hotel eats wireless signal. Just... eats it.

I can confirm that diqnol can't pass his item during the day, or drop it. My coin is the same way.

Keane, as a ghost, what are your thoughts on magick?

As for reads, QPQ is starting to look scummy to me. I did not like his case on ljtrigirl, to me her posts looked logically consistant.

I believe in magic, Mithross. I believe it is all around us.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
:c: Current Day 3 Votecount

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE/Diqnol (4): SSV, Samfu, Lumpen, BK

BottleKnight (3): Hiip, Rarity, Rarity, Hal, -Hal

Samfucius (2): BK, PMom, Hal, -BK
Lumpen (2): Rarity, LJ, -Rarity, Diqnol

QuoProQuid (1): TMMadman
Hal Incandenza (1): fv

ljtrigirl (0): QPQ, -QPQ
Hiipfire (0): PMom, -PMom
TMMadman (0): QPQ, -QPQ
TMMadman (0): Rarity, -Rarity
Pinterest Mom (0): LJ, -LJ

:h: With 16 alive it takes 9 votes to execute.
:d: Day 3 deadline: Sunday, August 30th, ~11PM EDT. This is in :siren: LESS THAN A DAY FROM NOW :siren:

The following players suck at unvoting:
- ljtrigirl
- PMom

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I've been re-reading and I think that Diqnol is scum and the best vote for today. A couple of things stood out for me when looking at his posting. (I'm going to use references like QPQ to avoid making this post too long)

Firstly, lots of posts calling people town. Here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Secondly, lots of posts criticizing people's play but without making alignment calls. Here, here, and here.

He has made no effort to case anyone other than merk, he voted LJ on D2 because she spelt his name wrong. I also think that if Diqnol flips scum, then Lumpen will too. The interactions between the two of them dont look sincere. This is only some of the posts from Diqnol about Lumpen

Note that Lumpen isn't attacking the content. His post is empty.

lmao how did I miss this post

Lumpen is completely and utterly full of poo poo.

Lumpen is scum ya'll

Lumpen is also scum, however. Another day, another hang.

I think I'm going to vote for Lumpen today but after this wrap up I'll give him a full read-through and see if it fits together. As of right now I have many memories of individual pings.

but then today when he does vote Lumpen all he says is

##vote Lumpen

I'm more confident about this than I was about merk so if you need me to explain I shall

He's never explained why Lumpen is scum and he's put no effort into his case today or into trying to convince people that Lumpen is scum, even though he's more sure of that than he was of merk, who he wrote a huge big case up about. This doesn't look like real scum hunting, and Diqnol's claimed opinion on Lumpen is at odds with his actions.

##unvote
##vote Diqnol

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Ugh. Some of you are disappointing. FV, if this is your scum game, consider it a pathetic play on your end. I'll post between drafts later tp refute some bad cases and get my opinion out there. For now, check out the opportunism and hold off on piling on until I have a chance to defend myself. I'll be questioning votes for you

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I've been re-reading and I think that Diqnol is scum and the best vote for today. A couple of things stood out for me when looking at his posting. (I'm going to use references like QPQ to avoid making this post too long)

Firstly, lots of posts calling people town. Here, here, here, here, here, and here.

Secondly, lots of posts criticizing people's play but without making alignment calls. Here, here, and here.

He has made no effort to case anyone other than merk, he voted LJ on D2 because she spelt his name wrong. I also think that if Diqnol flips scum, then Lumpen will too. The interactions between the two of them dont look sincere. This is only some of the posts from Diqnol about Lumpen

but then today when he does vote Lumpen all he says is

He's never explained why Lumpen is scum and he's put no effort into his case today or into trying to convince people that Lumpen is scum, even though he's more sure of that than he was of merk, who he wrote a huge big case up about. This doesn't look like real scum hunting, and Diqnol's claimed opinion on Lumpen is at odds with his actions.

##unvote
##vote Diqnol

Thank you, I'm convinced.

##unvote
##vote Diqnol

The other vote will follow closer to deadline.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
If BK's claim is true (day kill within 6 hours of deadline if nobody has 3/4th of votes to lynch), then if there are not 8 non-BK votes on someone at 5pm BK gets a free kill that ends the day, so indecisiveness will be punished.

If Diqnol and BK are Scumbuddies and Diqnol is at -1 at 5pm with 8 votes, BK can unvote into range to save Diqnol and immediately kill someone.

BK, if you are Town and really want to demonstrate you're not Diqnol's Scumbuddy, unvote now and hammer him instead.

Right now because of the math, BK is shielding Diqnol by having his vote there.

Rarity, the second vote would be best before 5pm.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Lumpen posted:

If BK's claim is true (day kill within 6 hours of deadline if nobody has 3/4th of votes to lynch), then if there are not 8 non-BK votes on someone at 5pm BK gets a free kill that ends the day, so indecisiveness will be punished.

If Diqnol and BK are Scumbuddies and Diqnol is at -1 at 5pm with 8 votes, BK can unvote into range to save Diqnol and immediately kill someone.

BK, if you are Town and really want to demonstrate you're not Diqnol's Scumbuddy, unvote now and hammer him instead.

Right now because of the math, BK is shielding Diqnol by having his vote there.

Rarity, the second vote would be best before 5pm.

If I were scum, wouldn't it be more important for me to look town than randomly admit that both diqnol and I are scum?

Unless you think this is LYLO I don't see how that clears me. I'll do it, but it doesn't really make me town.

##unvote

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I'm not going to be around today at all, I'm going on a day trip today to a nice restaurant, a movie and a museum. :woop:

I should be here tonight, before deadline. Don't know exactly when at all, though.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
I request that the deadline be moved back 24 hours from this weekend deadline so there can be a realistic chance for discussion. Especially if this game involves deadline-proximity mechanics as BK has claimed. That claim could be a fabrication, but it would really suck for Scum to decide the day because we get punished for not forming a consensus early enough over a weekend deadline.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

BottleKnight posted:

Several different people have floated the idea that we are scumbuddies, and all I can say about that is that it is dead wrong. This vote doesn't prove that obviously, but it is absolutely not true.
And the award for most pointless post of the year goes to..........

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

BottleKnight posted:

How is this a scumtell? This is actually pretty rude tbh.
ohh yeah I forgot to respond this

I meant it more in the sense that you ask questions that you never follow up on and more just seem to ask to seem invested in the game

but that's honestly just a personal pet peeve and I'm sorry if I seemed like a dick

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lumpen posted:

I request that the deadline be moved back 24 hours from this weekend deadline so there can be a realistic chance for discussion. Especially if this game involves deadline-proximity mechanics as BK has claimed. That claim could be a fabrication, but it would really suck for Scum to decide the day because we get punished for not forming a consensus early enough over a weekend deadline.

Sunday evening is not a weekend deadline. I don't like your scaremongering one bit.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Rarity posted:

Sunday evening is not a weekend deadline. I don't like your scaremongering one bit.

I'd also bet lumpen is scum. HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEHEHE *performs ghostly jig*

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Lumpen posted:

I request that the deadline be moved back 24 hours from this weekend deadline so there can be a realistic chance for discussion.

Request denied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Ecco I request that you have a pleasant day with a healthy but enjoyable dinner.

• Locked thread